• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shift or set?

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    In the options menu the battle style can be chosen between 'shift' (known as 'switch' in Gen VI), the default setting, and 'set'.
    If the game is on 'shift' mode, the player gets a message saying which Pokémon NPCs are about to use next when you beat one of their Pokémon. The player can chose whether he decides to recall their Pokémon.
    In 'set' mode this option is not available and the NPC trainers send in their next Pokémon without a mention.

Which battle style do you normally play in? Do you ever use the other?

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    So that's what that does... {D:} I had no idea what this option meant until this thread. I've always played on shift. I kinda felt bad being able to match up my Pokemon against the other trainer. It certainly does give the player an advantage in that aspect. I think I'm going to switch the option to set, as it seems more realistic. I mean, what kind of trainer tells you "Hey, I'm about to use Blastoise now, so if you want to switch your Pokemon out for a better advantage, I'm fine with that."

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
    I don't much care about options, i just play the option which is set by default :D

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    I normally have the game set on shift mode, because it feels more natural, as I'm used to play it that way, because it took me a while to find out about the possibility to change it. I change it to set temporally when there's just one Pokémon in the party I want to train and I don't want to be repeatedly asked if I want to change when I don't. I could just keep one Pokémon in the party, but why should I when I can have five Pickup Pokémon too for free stuff?

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I always play with shift and I always have, but maybe I should try to play with set one time since it would be a little more challenging.

Years
    I've done shift for like...ever. I'm pretty sure I tried set once, then promptly forgot that I'd changed it, or didn't realize what it was about, and got confused as to why I wasn't getting the messages anymore ( /cough this was years ago and I know better by now). But yeah, I definitely prefer shift in this case. I like having that option to change my pokemon beforehand.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Set master race.

Shift pretty much trivializes the games. You're practically playing on auto pilot. Set doesn't make the games significantly harder or anything, but at least there's actual risk involved in switching which I appreciate. Haven't went back to shift after trying out set years ago.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I've played SHIFT for most of the time I played a Pokemon game. Only in my replay of X I decided to switch it out, in order to get a little more challenge out of it. Combined with a couple other adjustments, it actually became quite a fun playthrough, although I'm not quite finished with it (still have the E4 to beat, which might or might not be a difficult task, taking my custom rule set into account).
    When it comes to choosing between "shift" and "set" for battles, I found I like "shift" more. I tried "set" once and I found it somewhat boring.
    What is it, that you felt was boring about the SET setting?

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
    I prefer set.
    Shift is pretty much the easy mode and it feels like I'm cheating.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't mind either options in-game (though, it's been a long, long time since I had actually used Set), but when it comes to competitive, it's always Shift, as I like selecting which Pokémon I'd like to use when one is taken down.

Actually, I don't remember--it's not possible to switch between these modes while battling online, is it?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I don't mind either options in-game (though, it's been a long, long time since I had actually used Set), but when it comes to competitive, it's always Shift, as I like selecting which Pokémon I'd like to use when one is taken down.

Actually, I don't remember--it's not possible to switch between these modes while battling online, is it?
    No. Which is what confuses me about your post, since it's always on Set.

Years
    S E T B O Y Z

I like the challenge. Shift makes me feel like a bastard telepathic with no regard to trainer's feelings.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    S E T B O Y Z

I like the challenge. Shift makes me feel like a bastard telepathic with no regard to trainer's feelings.

I never thought about it that way aha. I like the feeling of being a psychic though so maybe that's why I prefer shift. I like knowing what Pokemon to send out next, I don't think it makes it "too easy". I think set makes it boring and annoying.

Back