• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • But I want some memorable times now! D: Well, I guess you're right on that. They will come. However, I noticed the activity in the lounge is dying down (even I'm less active in the lounge). That, and seems there's not much interaction except for bolds at the moment.

Baking a cake sounds like a good idea though.
    Yes. Now. No, wait - give it a week and a half when I can properly start contributing to madness for a week and we're good. =D

But yeah, probably is that a number of us are busy with stuff and all. Don't mean we can't have a cake though, no?
    Spoiler:

*insertforcedconspiracytheoryhere*

Here's one how do people in the world not know where Pokemon... 'come from'? (Ignoring the 'it's a kids game that's why we NPCs are so naive' reason). Heck, even a professor, who has a family and a kid, acts completely surprised when he sees an egg. MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING HE'S NOT TELLING US.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ...Maybe the professor was being a good kitty and adopted Brendan/May?
    Wrong prof - it's Elm who gets excited over eggs, not Birch. Birch just gets chased by Poochyena or if you're playing Emerald, Zigzagoon by all things. Come to think of it at least half of the profs come off as inept. Rowan seems to know what he's doing though, but he is forgetful with his briefcases and all. And his (but all professors do it anyway) giving of Pokemon to young kids (one being your rival who seems to live on coffee). But that's canon for you. =D

The Day-care people themselves seem shifty though. 'Oh yeah, here's an egg. I SWEAR I don't know where it came from *shifty eyes*, but if you don't want it, I'll eat keep it.'

Putting one's spin on stuff like that in fanfics is quite fun at times. XD
    Listen to the woman. If you know what I know. The cake is quite definitely a lie.

Portal reference = win.
    Hence the cake. =D Ah, that related-site is a fun one...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I didn't know Professor Elm had a chi-

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

I see Pi-Face on that avatar!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • [FONT=&quot]
    Maybe it's the fact that end-of-year is close and we are all busy (in which case I'd have to ask if is this a cyclical thing?), or people are moving to other forums (I'm temporarily moving to Pokéteca right now, for example), or we are getting mentally tired of insanity, or something like that.
    I concur; I'm currently trolling The BBS right now. There's not much to do in the Lounge these days save, reminiscing about the good ol' days. I think, it's not so much of a case of getting tired of insanity than actually growing more rational or less friendly. Either way, activity is dying down.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    The thing is nowadays the Lounge is essentially the announcements and a criss-cross of bold topics. The last sort of insanity here was Misheard Whisper's Lounge drawing (so nice), and before that the one last actual, good, fun CRAZINESS was the whole "genitally gently stroking" Freudian Slip about three months ago! -- that' or I'll have to dig even deeper for the Index.

I'm inclined to believe we need to recharge the madness cells in our brains, which is why it seems that most Lounge people are moving away as well. Even Aurincha, who came back recently, seems to have moved to another forum, for example.

It's not something bad, I guess. A time for seriousness, and a period for new members to come without being scared of our particular style, it can be.
    Yes, the drawing was nice. XD[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It's time for madness recuperation. On that note, I miss Astinus. ;_; She hasn't been here in a while…[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I guess that new members might not be scared, but then again, they might just view the Lounge as boring then. And we all don't want the Lounge to be boring do we? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Back to the clothes thing...

The reason why I chose the "it's just there" thing is that, after reading Farla's rants for some time, I am convinced that some things don't have to be dug up, or they result in a loss of quality no matter the gain in specificity. Heck, as a programmer myself, I have the belief that it is better to pursue quality (which can be assigned a discrete and finite measure such as Six Sigma) that specificity (which is an endless slope of backquestioning).

That, and the idea that it was humans who adapted certain Pokémon characteristics in the form of clothes (Kirlia), armor (Aggron), transport (Metagross), or weapons (Scyther) is actually relevant to my interests useful for my plots. My vision of the Pokémon world, the one I reference in my fics, is that humans are the "bonus visitor" in a world made from and for Pokémon.

Now, if I were to look for an explanation as to why some Pokémon appear to wear clothes or whatever, and I did not want to take the "Pokémon first" approach, the most likely answer I'd come up would be actually yours, Mizan. It may sound less logical, yes, but anything beyond that would require overthinking too many aspects to make it workable (not to mention it would become an unfunny progress in a story). For example, the "Pokémon imitates humans" approach forces one to work around whether Hitmonchan wear box pants right off breaking their eggs, or why would Cubone/Marowak have adapted usage of their parents's (?) skull from humans if they already had (according to one of over 9.000 fanon theories) weak head tissue beforehand.

It's that, or there is a conspiracy where they use clothes to secretly mock us.

No... that's even less logical.

And, seeing from the preview that Bay is ninjaing me, I better check on this. I support the idea that trying to describe what a Pokémon's clothes look like, or why are they there, is not something necessary nor helpful (unless you are writing a Genesis story).

Going to previous topics...
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I never said it was supposed to be logical. :P But then again, they could be mocking us. Or else, Furries! Xkcd reference here.

We should welcome more people. What about a cake?
    OMG Lulz, The Cake is a LIE!!! A bit late, I know but I just had to do it…

Also, about the lack of insanity thing, I can't really say much on what's happened to it because I am a newbie and haven't sufficiently contributed to the insanity of the Lounge save for the 9000+ posts celebration dealie that went on about 1300 posts ago.
    Don't worry, most of us here are newbies anyway. Except for the veterans.

RapeShipping? In my Pokémon game/fic? Do want!
    (Not to mention Wild Girl in PokéSpe...)

Seriously, some of these combinations are the win, particularly "drag hotel". It's unfortunate that you can't do that easily with the first/second gens unless you tie them together, and even then I'd be lost about what do we get. But we can start with something always
    Find a conspiracy or bizarre occurrence having to do with pokémon, Da Vinci Code style..

Wait for it…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]TOILETS AND BLADDERS!!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What is it with the Pokémon world, does everyone have super large, four-dimensional bladders or something? Or, maybe they never need to 'go' because they never eat? But then, why does Gold's mom have a kitchen? What about the officers in Saffron City? The government is suppressing the right to 'go'![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also, Soul Silver = Liver Souls[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Game freak intends to infuse the souls of humans into Livers to make Philosophers Livers! FMA references. XD[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

But I want some memorable times now! D: Well, I guess you're right on that. They will come. However, I noticed the activity in the lounge is dying down (even I'm less active in the lounge). That, and seems there's not much interaction except for bolds at the moment.
    We're in recession right now. Just like the economy which I see, is starting to pick up. So maybe the FFL follows the economic pattern. By the way, Recession is cyclical for anyone interested. That's what someone said anyways.. XD

Yes. Now. No, wait - give it a week and a half when I can properly start contributing to madness for a week and we're good. =D

But yeah, probably is that a number of us are busy with stuff and all. Don't mean we can't have a cake though, no?
    Cake!!! Madness!!![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Here's one how do people in the world not know where Pokemon... 'come from'? (Ignoring the 'it's a kids game that's why we NPCs are so naive' reason). Heck, even a professor, who has a family and a kid, acts completely surprised when he sees an egg. MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING HE'S NOT TELLING US.
    Wrong prof - it's Elm who gets excited over eggs, not Birch. Birch just gets chased by Poochyena or if you're playing Emerald, Zigzagoon by all things. Come to think of it at least half of the profs come off as inept. Rowan seems to know what he's doing though, but he is forgetful with his briefcases and all. And his (but all professors do it anyway) giving of Pokemon to young kids (one being your rival who seems to live on coffee). But that's canon for you. =D
    Actually, this leads me to wonder how they became Professors in the first place. Bribery!?[/FONT]

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I concur; I'm currently trolling The BBS right now.
    bb, I'm sorry, but I checked your posts over there, and that's not trolling. You're just posting over there, being really active and allowing for conversation. I'll let you know if you ever do troll, but right now, you aren't.

Trolling appears to be a lost art.

Bay

Years
  • We're in recession right now. Just like the economy which I see, is starting to pick up. So maybe the FFL follows the economic pattern. By the way, Recession is cyclical for anyone interested. That's what someone said anyways.. XD
    Recession is indeed cyclical. I'm studying financial economics as my concentration, so that someone is right. :P And you might be right on that the lounge is going through that phase. XD;

bb, I'm sorry, but I checked your posts over there, and that's not trolling. You're just posting over there, being really active and allowing for conversation. I'll let you know if you ever do troll, but right now, you aren't.

Indeed, so is making snark remarks. D:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Trolling appears to be a lost art.

You should meet my friend. He's rather good at it, mostly because he doesn't take it seriously and therefore never epicfails like a lot of trolls do by trying too hard. I, on the other hand, am more of the troll killing type. Read: "I'm too nice."

Say...since this is now a general lounge, I guess I can bounce ideas off of you guys about pretty much any kind of writing, neh? That sentence invokes a mental image of aluminum cans ricocheting off of people's noggins, all labeled "Twilight crossover." *shudder*

Anyway, I've been kicking around this one story idea (aluminum can reference again) in which there's this dragon who is basically the mail carrier for a small medieval village. I can't decide where to take the story though: it could be a slice of life story since the dragon is a very humble character with simple needs, or it could be an epic fantasy because, y'know, dragons. I could hybridize the two ideas as well, but I'm not totally sure how to have the dragon sticking around the village while still going on ye olde grand adventure. I could bring the adventure to the village, which could prove interesting, but I'm not totally sure how.

Also, first on page, woot.

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • bb, I'm sorry, but I checked your posts over there, and that's not trolling. You're just posting over there, being really active and allowing for conversation. I'll let you know if you ever do troll, but right now, you aren't.

I know what trolling means. I meant it as a joke and apparently I forgot to put 'XD' at the end to signify that. XD

And yes, trolling is a lost art. XD

Recession is indeed cyclical. I'm studying financial economics as my concentration, so that someone is right. :P And you might be right on that the lounge is going through that phase. XD

Indeed, so is making snark remarks. D:
    That someone was my mother. :O
    Really. XD

You should meet my friend. He's rather good at it, mostly because he doesn't take it seriously and therefore never epicfails like a lot of trolls do by trying too hard. I, on the other hand, am more of the troll killing type. Read: "I'm too nice."

Say...since this is now a general lounge, I guess I can bounce ideas off of you guys about pretty much any kind of writing, neh? That sentence invokes a mental image of aluminum cans ricocheting off of people's noggins, all labeled "Twilight crossover." *shudder*

Anyway, I've been kicking around this one story idea (aluminum can reference again) in which there's this dragon who is basically the mail carrier for a small medieval village. I can't decide where to take the story though: it could be a slice of life story since the dragon is a very humble character with simple needs, or it could be an epic fantasy because, y'know, dragons. I could hybridize the two ideas as well, but I'm not totally sure how to have the dragon sticking around the village while still going on ye olde grand adventure. I could bring the adventure to the village, which could prove interesting, but I'm not totally sure how.

Also, first on page, woot.
    I'm actually happy with both versions. Anyway, I think I'd go with the slice of life version because the epic-ish adventure with Dragons seems a little bit overdone.

Also, if you brought adventure to the village, then I suggest an attack on the village of some sorts that the dragon protects. Maybe a conflicting dragon that asks him why he's working for/helping humans when he's a dragon?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I'm going to use the lounge to brainstorm for a bit. Hope nobody minds. XD

I'm actually happy with both versions. Anyway, I think I'd go with the slice of life version because the epic-ish adventure with Dragons seems a little bit overdone.

Also, if you brought adventure to the village, then I suggest an attack on the village of some sorts that the dragon protects. Maybe a conflicting dragon that asks him why he's working for/helping humans when he's a dragon?

Actually, you kind of read my mind. I'm thinking of making it episodic, with the final episodes some sort of conflict against an outside force. I intend for it to feel similar to how the hobbits drove off Saruman at the end of LotR: the village is basically full of peasants, the dragon is kind of the village pet, and none of them are soldiers by any means. However, their bravery and unity ultimately win the day, even if they aren't very strong individually. So it's sort of a feel-good story, which I think I need to balance out the pair of rather tragic fanfictions I'm currently writing. XD

Oh, and the dragon's a "she," btw. She doesn't officially have a name yet, but I'll just call her "Threads" for the sake of ease, since she loves to collect string and bits of cloth and such instead of treasure. She's also a Storm Dragon, which means that instead of breathing fire she uses her venom as a sort of rocket propellant to fly really fast (hence the mail carrier thing). Here's a pic:
    Spoiler:

Right now I'm trying to think of her origins, and how she got tied in with the village. I'm considering going the Fox and the Hound route, in which her parents are killed and she is found as a hatchling by one of the villagers (the majority of which I'm planning on making dracophobic near the beginning for some hilarious situations). Other possibilities include her getting separated from her flock at an early age and being brought in by the village, or her being a fully wild dragon that at some point voluntarily decided to stick with the town instead of her flock (generous offerings of food and trinkets will probably come into play should I choose this option).

Titlewise, I'm thinking of The Village Dragon, but I haven't put a lot of thought into it.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I'm going to use the lounge to brainstorm for a bit. Hope nobody minds. XD
    I don't. Technically, this is an open conversation so anyone can join and contribute ideas.

Actually, you kind of read my mind. I'm thinking of making it episodic, with the final episodes some sort of conflict against an outside force. I intend for it to feel similar to how the hobbits drove off Saruman at the end of LotR: the village is basically full of peasants, the dragon is kind of the village pet, and none of them are soldiers by any means. However, their bravery and unity ultimately win the day, even if they aren't very strong individually. So it's sort of a feel-good story, which I think I need to balance out the pair of rather tragic fanfictions I'm currently writing. XD
    Though I have to ask, what kind of episodic do you mean? Is it the kind wherein all the chapters relate to the storyline in a major way or the kind wherein there are some that relate(majorly) to the plot and some that contain filler(that could be considered as cute, funny, or show life lessons[examples like Threads--what she does in her own time or her playing with strings])

Oh, and the dragon's a "she," btw. She doesn't officially have a name yet, but I'll just call her "Threads" for the sake of ease, since she loves to collect string and bits of cloth and such instead of treasure. She's also a Storm Dragon, which means that instead of breathing fire she uses her venom as a sort of rocket propellant to fly really fast (hence the mail carrier thing). Here's a pic:
    Spoiler:
    Just a logical nitpick but where does the venom come from and in what direction does it come out from to allow her to fly that fast? Hope you don't mind me asking. XD

Right now I'm trying to think of her origins, and how she got tied in with the village. I'm considering going the Fox and the Hound route, in which her parents are killed and she is found as a hatchling by one of the villagers (the majority of which I'm planning on making dracophobic near the beginning for some hilarious situations). Other possibilities include her getting separated from her flock at an early age and being brought in by the village, or her being a fully wild dragon that at some point voluntarily decided to stick with the town instead of her flock (generous offerings of food and trinkets will probably come into play should I choose this option).
    Right now I'm thinking that kind of origin is overdone but then that's just my opinion. :D Secondly, I leaning towards some other possibility like the dragon being human-phobic and coming to accept the humans after the humans approach her first and tend to her wounds(which she gained from a mysterious past). But then again, that's just my opinion.

Titlewise, I'm thinking of The Village Dragon, but I haven't put a lot of thought into it.
    Nothing to comment about this as I suck at making titles. ;_;

Also, if the rest of you feel like outsiders from my conversation with txty(which is by the way, and open conversation), there's a new bolded topic.

What kind of setting do you like to use in your fics? Time, Social, Place it doesn't really matter at all.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I don't. Technically, this is an open conversation so anyone can join and contribute ideas.

Yeah, I know, but I didn't want to spam you guys with my incessant rambling without giving a heads-up. XD

Though I have to ask, what kind of episodic do you mean? Is it the kind wherein all the chapters relate to the storyline in a major way or the kind wherein there are some that relate(majorly) to the plot and some that contain filler(that could be considered as cute, funny, or show life lessons[examples like Threads--what she does in her own time or her playing with strings])

It would be kind of both, I guess. The purpose of the storyline would be to show the life of this dragon and her adoptive village. Each chapter would probably be an individual event, but they'd all relate and expound upon a unifying theme which I haven't fully decided upon as of yet.

Just a logical nitpick but where does the venom come from and in what direction does it come out from to allow her to fly that fast? Hope you don't mind me asking. XD

Lol yeah, probably should have gone more in-depth here. The process is somewhat complicated, but basically her venom fangs spray down her throat and into a second pair of lungs as she inhales. When she exhales, these secondary lungs seal up and shrink, which pressurizes the fuel. It is then routed to her back via bone tubes, ignited, and shot out of vents that work like rocket nozzles. The fic is intended to be a relatively easy read, which would make outright describing such a process ugly, so I'll probably have a little excerpt at the beginning of one chapter or in the appendix "from a medieval dragon expert" that explains it.

Right now I'm thinking that kind of origin is overdone but then that's just my opinion. :D Secondly, I leaning towards some other possibility like the dragon being human-phobic and coming to accept the humans after the humans approach her first and tend to her wounds(which she gained from a mysterious past). But then again, that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I'm going to have to work on this one. A good backstory for Threads is going to be vital for the rest of the story, so I'll make sure I spend my time developing it correctly. Perhaps learning her past could be a subplot.

What kind of setting do you like to use in your fics? Time, Social, Place it doesn't really matter at all.

The Eon Chronicles (which I've picked up again at last! *fanfare*) is set in medieval times in a made-up pokéverse region. I kind of smash old-world Europe and Japan together to create a sort of super-setting, where you can go to an inn that serves mead and then cross the street and eat noodles at a stand with chopsticks.

Mastermind, on the other hand, is currently set in an immaculate government institute. In the future, however, the main character will spend a lot of time in her ship in space, as well as in various docks, civilian areas, Bydo hives, etc.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
  • [FONT=&quot]Find a conspiracy or bizarre occurrence having to do with pokémon, Da Vinci Code style..[/FONT]

Alright kids, strap yourself the **** in.
    i'M FLYIN' THIS BABY
    TO DA MOOOOON

"The real purpose of Pokemon Centers is not to heal Pokemon, but to stunt their growth."

Think about it. It's eminently clear that Pokemon in the wild grow and evolve much faster than tame Pokemon. What do all trained Pokemon have in common? Inevitably, trainers have to bring their Pokemon to Nurse Joy for healing — treatment which is suspiciously free, which must mean it is subsidized by the government. Indeed, almost everything happening in that world is the result of a Goverment conspiricy to deal with the existence of creatures of such incredible power. The idea of letting kids run around the country battling wild animals is a way of keeping the Pokemon population from growing too powerful. But that opens the door to Pokemon trainers directing their powerful pets against the government; hence, Pokemon Centers inject the Pokemon they treat with chemicals to inhibit their growth, and the sport of trainer battles — essentially legalized cockfighting — is formalized as a distraction from the true potential of Pokemon.

Pokémon Battles were designed just so Trainers would be forced to go to Pokémon Centers.

Alternatively, the Pokemon have, by and large, gotten into the habit of holding back, especially around humans, with the intent of preventing serious injury or worse. This explains the exceptions much better - the most obvious being the Genetic Pokemon Mewtwo, who in the first movie is clearly shown fighting over and over (and thus getting healed over and over) but still displaying disproportionately high power.

In Diamond/Pearl, it's actually *canon* that Poke Balls act as a Power limiter. Team Galactic needed a special device in order to control Dialga/Palkia at full power. If they had used a Poke Ball, it wouldn't have been able to create a new universe for them.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • What kind of setting do you like to use in your fics? Time, Social, Place it doesn't really matter at all.

I prefer a modern setting, with all the technology and innovations of today's society available. I prefer my regions to roughly resemble the U.S., (with American name brands) and I enjoy suburban/business district settings, with a wide selection of shopping venues and overnight accommodation options for my characters.

Woot. Post number 1337! And yes, I did save post 1337 for the FFL. Feel honored.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Royal Genesis' post

Dude. Duuuuude. That explains why Pikachu is so strong! I mean, he started off in a pokéball, but it must wear off over time.

Holy frak, is it possible that Ash's starter is not overpowered, but in fact normal, while all other pokémon seem weak in comparison because they've been made to be? This gives "aim for the horn" a whole new meaning!

EDIT: I just found the perfect theme song for one of my characters. Namely the guy that starts devouring fear. I mean seriously, lyric for lyric, this defines him.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back