• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • What do you think is your greatest aspect in writing?
    Grammar. I'm also told that I'm also good at creating memorable, unique characters, but it's really only the grammar that I can apply to my other writing. After all, memorable characters aren't that important when you're writing a piece on municipal toll road and highway maintenance bonds :P

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    It's not so much struggling to pronounce his name as stuttering it in utter disbelief or something to that effect (which I tend to use quite often), but I see your point as it definitely is a hard name to pronounce.

For example...

Truth be told, Commando hadn't ever met Álmos in his life. He had always assumed that the faceless voice was some sort of truly wondrous creature in reality, a creature so awe-inspiring that it would harm anyone who laid eyes on him at the wrong time.

But he didn't expect Álmos to be
    this.

"Ál-Álmos?" he stuttered, in utter disbelief. "Are you..."

Something like that.

What do you think is your greatest aspect in writing? Creativity, grammar, or some other thing?

Um. Oh dear. Well, the thing I like to do the most is create plots for things, which I suppose would fall under 'creativity'. I've never really seen any other 'reversed PMD' story, much less one with a... um... important person. [coughs in an attempt to make the statement somewhat normal]

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • What do you think is your greatest aspect in writing? Creativity, grammar, or some other thing?

Hmm. Well, one of the things I like most about how I write is when I put in these subtle details. I don't really know how to explain it...they're like little points of candid realism that help to make the story come alive, at least in my opinion. Like at one point, Ren is looking at the sky, and a snowflake lands in his eye and he spazzes out. Another time, Latias is bored, so she starts pulling blades of grass and stacking them on Ren's helmet while he's asleep. It adds a sort of basic yet vital nuance, I think.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years

My greatest aspect in writing has to be dialogue. I think that I can create a vivid image of the person's through the way that they speak. As any example; some of my colder creatures use very logical terminology while some of my brighter characters uses more cheery ones. :D I love doing dialogue, it's my favorite part of anything that I write.

As of late, people has said that I create a pretty good political atmosphere. XD I never noticed this however.

Bay

Years
    I think character interactions. Many people comment how I'm able to have the interactions realistic, funny, and emotional. I always try to have the interactions great. :3

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years

Intertwining stories and building up characters. I love making characters and designing how they speak in my mind, so I hope that's what I'm good at.

Feels good to be back!!!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years

Intertwining stories and building up characters. I love making characters and designing how they speak in my mind, so I hope that's what I'm good at.

Feels good to be back!!!
    Welcome back!!! :D

The lounge should be a friendlier place. XD
    It saddens me to see limited interaction between members save for the odd bold topic or two.

New topic that's been bugging me.
    In the case of humanoid Pokemon, how do you explain the clothes or what appear to be clothes that they wear?
    For example, the thing a Machamp wears...

Bay

Years
  • Welcome back, .Ozymandias! :D

The lounge should be a friendlier place. XD
    It saddens me to see limited interaction between members save for the odd bold topic or two.
    Me too, actually. I remember this lounge used to be lively and the interactions aren't just about bold topics, like the musical and the poetry showdown.

COME ON EVERYONE, GET INVOLVED HERE! BE MORE CRAZY! WE DON'T BITE HERE. :D

In the case of humanoid Pokemon, how do you explain the clothes or what appear to be clothes that they wear?
    Well, writing wise, I won't describe the Pokemon much, since we are fans and we already know how they look like, yeah? However, if I were to describe, say Jynx, I would try to be as straightforward as possible about how it wears a red dress with huge breast plates. XD As for Mr. Mime, a clown suit. I don't know, I don't think clothes are that important to give a huge description.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Welcome back, .Ozymandias! :D
    See friendliness! :D

Me too, actually. I remember this lounge used to be lively and the interactions aren't just about bold topics, like the musical and the poetry showdown.
    That was around July I think. Why is it so dreary here. :disappoin Come on people, respond, talk, interact, stop tl;dr ing posts no matter how short! We can revive the lounge, it's not too late!:laugh:

COME ON EVERYONE, GET INVOLVED HERE! BE MORE CRAZY! WE DON'T BITE HERE. :D
    Well, maybe we sting a little. ;)

Well, writing wise, I won't describe the Pokemon much, since we are fans and we already know how they look like, yeah? However, if I were to describe, say Jynx, I would try to be as straightforward as possible about how it wears a red dress with huge breast plates. XD As for Mr. Mime, a clown suit. I don't know, I don't think clothes are that important to give a huge description.
    Actually, the question meant how do you explain the clothes, accessories being there in the first place. I mean, a Jynx just can't grow metal breastplates and a long flowing dress. For one thing, she isn't even a steel type. XD

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • In the case of humanoid Pokemon, how do you explain the clothes or what appear to be clothes that they wear?

This is a great question. However, I have no answer. ;D The only thing that almost looks like it has clothes that I can understand is Gardevoir since it looks like a part of its body. Hitmonchan is the one that confuses me the most.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • In the case of humanoid Pokemon, how do you explain the clothes or what appear to be clothes that they wear?

A very interesting question. Seems no one has an answer so far (that, and the Lounge is not yet at its full level of... insanity).

Truth be told, I'd rather "backexplain" it: I say it's just something that is there for some design convenience whose meaning has been lost in time, and that it is humans who have adapted some aspects of Pokémon appearance or protection and called them clothes/armor/whatever.

Because there is simply not a particular reason why Hitmonchan would have boxer pants, seeing that Hitmonlee has not. The gloves have at least some sense, but it could perfectly been armoured hands or some sort of spikes instead. And backexplaining it works wonders around the "clothiness" of some Pokémon such as Kirlia/Gardevoir, Empoleon, and maybe Jynx.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • A very interesting question. Seems no one has an answer so far (that, and the Lounge is not yet at its full level of... insanity).
    Where has all the insanity us writers are known for gone to? I thought we were crazier than this?

Truth be told, I'd rather "backexplain" it: I say it's just something that is there for some design convenience whose meaning has been lost in time, and that it is humans who have adapted some aspects of Pokémon appearance or protection and called them clothes/armor/whatever.
    Actually, that makes sense. \O/

For me, I'd say that the Pokemon adapted to humans or that humans forced the Pokemon to wear these things for some reason. But then again, that's less logical. XD

Bay

Years
  • See friendliness! :D

That was around July I think. Why is it so dreary here. :disappoin Come on people, respond, talk, interact, stop tl;dr ing posts no matter how short! We can revive the lounge, it's not too late!:laugh:

Well, maybe we sting a little. ;)

Actually, the question meant how do you explain the clothes, accessories being there in the first place. I mean, a Jynx just can't grow metal breastplates and a long flowing dress. For one thing, she isn't even a steel type. XD
    Well, it's not easy for me to explain Jynx's clothes then. XD Also, I do know what you meant and I gave examples how I would describe Jynx and Mr. Mime's clothes. However, I also said I won't even try because the readers should already know how a Pokemon looks like, even if the clothes are hard to explain. XD

Venia Silente

Years
  • Mizan Nix Zamnie said:
    Where has all the insanity us writers are known for gone to? I thought we were crazier than this?

Picks me...

When I first got here, the Lounge was... well... a mess. IIRC I got here when you people were planning the Musica. What ever happened to that?

Maybe it's the fact that end-of-year is close and we are all busy (in which case I'd have to ask if is this a cyclical thing?), or people are moving to other forums (I'm temporarily moving to Pokéteca right now, for example), or we are getting mentally tired of insanity, or something like that.

The thing is nowadays the Lounge is essentially the announcements and a criss-cross of bold topics. The last sort of insanity here was Misheard Whisper's Lounge drawing (so nice), and before that the one last actual, good, fun CRAZINESS was the whole "genitally gently stroking" Freudian Slip about three months ago! -- that' or I'll have to dig even deeper for the Index.

I'm inclined to believe we need to recharge the madness cells in our brains, which is why it seems that most Lounge people are moving away as well. Even Aurincha, who came back recently, seems to have moved to another forum, for example.

It's not something bad, I guess. A time for seriousness, and a period for new members to come without being scared of our particular style, it can be.

Back to the clothes thing...

The reason why I chose the "it's just there" thing is that, after reading Farla's rants for some time, I am convinced that some things don't have to be dug up, or they result in a loss of quality no matter the gain in specificity. Heck, as a programmer myself, I have the belief that it is better to pursue quality (which can be assigned a discrete and finite measure such as Six Sigma) that specificity (which is an endless slope of backquestioning).

That, and the idea that it was humans who adapted certain Pokémon characteristics in the form of clothes (Kirlia), armor (Aggron), transport (Metagross), or weapons (Scyther) is actually relevant to my interests useful for my plots. My vision of the Pokémon world, the one I reference in my fics, is that humans are the "bonus visitor" in a world made from and for Pokémon.

Now, if I were to look for an explanation as to why some Pokémon appear to wear clothes or whatever, and I did not want to take the "Pokémon first" approach, the most likely answer I'd come up would be actually yours, Mizan. It may sound less logical, yes, but anything beyond that would require overthinking too many aspects to make it workable (not to mention it would become an unfunny progress in a story). For example, the "Pokémon imitates humans" approach forces one to work around whether Hitmonchan wear box pants right off breaking their eggs, or why would Cubone/Marowak have adapted usage of their parents's (?) skull from humans if they already had (according to one of over 9.000 fanon theories) weak head tissue beforehand.

It's that, or there is a conspiracy where they use clothes to secretly mock us.

No... that's even less logical. :P

And, seeing from the preview that Bay is ninjaing me, I better check on this. I support the idea that trying to describe what a Pokémon's clothes look like, or why are they there, is not something necessary nor helpful (unless you are writing a Genesis story).

Going to previous topics...

What do you think is your greatest aspect in writing?

I'd have to say it's either character development, or the ability to put an amount of funny/obscure/both references to the Pokémon games and fandom (or other fandoms in general). I do lots of work with my characters and sometimes I'm all around watching them do stuff but not trying to guide them in any way. As for the references, it is one of the things I like to do. I did a weird one in "Sixth" with D/P/Pt because I thought it would be funny or interesting that even Pokémon see their world like that. No one ever commented on it, however.

We should welcome more people. What about a cake?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Okay, I'll take care of the insanity quota for today, but you guys are going to have to carry it from here.

Find a conspiracy or bizarre occurrence having to do with pokémon, Da Vinci Code style.

For instance, an anagram for "Heart Gold" is "drag hotel." An indicator of the lifestlye lead by the game's creators, perhaps? But wait, it's also an anagram for "gather old!" What kind of sick...

Let's check out some other versions. "Sapphire" becomes "rape ship." Not looking too good on the innocence spectrum here, Game Freak. But wait, what's this? It also becomes "spare hip." GF is obviously peddling body parts, and what better way to dispose of the remains than through the "ash piper" attached to its massive underground cremation facility?

"Platinum" turns into "puma lint." Could they possibly be poaching rare species for their fur? I mean, the company obviously has no qualms about violence against animals, but this? And that's not even the worst of it: "platinum" also anagrams to "anti-plum." Good lord, they're attempting to accelerate world starvation. Game Freak, a company that creates games loved by children everywhere, is in fact working towards subjecting them to a slow and agonizing death.

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Well, since most of my stories are narrated in stealthy third-to-first-person by a relatively crazy Giratina aptly named Giratina who happens to be familiar with human clothing patterns and designs (and who has no better way of describing it herself - and yes, my stories are strange), then most Pokémon clothes will attempt to be similar to any human counterparts they may bear a strong likeness to. No complex logic here; just 'my narrator references stuff in human terms because she can't do it any other way'.

Also, about the lack of insanity thing, I can't really say much on what's happened to it because I am a newbie and haven't sufficiently contributed to the insanity of the Lounge save for the 9000+ posts celebration dealie that went on about 1300 posts ago.

Find a conspiracy or bizarre occurrence having to do with pokémon, Da Vinci Code style.

[never saw/read The DaVinci Code]

Um...

Umm...

NIDORANS. idontknowwhathteirproblemisseriouslytheguysarepurpleandthegirlsareblueanditstotallystrangehwentheyevolveandyoucantellthemapartanditsscaryandidunnowherethisisgoing...

Venia Silente

Years
  • txteclipse said:
    Let's check out some other versions. "Sapphire" becomes "rape ship."
    RapeShipping? In my Pokémon game/fic? Do want!
    (Not to mention Wild Girl in PokéSpe...)

Seriously, some of these combinations are the win, particularly "drag hotel". It's unfortunate that you can't do that easily with the first/second gens unless you tie them together, and even then I'd be lost about what do we get. But we can start with something always...

Well, since most of my stories are narrated in stealthy third-to-first-person by a relatively crazy Giratina aptly named Giratina who happens to be familiar with human clothing patterns and designs (and who has no better way of describing it herself - and yes, my stories are strange), then most Pokémon clothes will attempt to be similar to any human counterparts they may bear a strong likeness to. No complex logic here; just 'my narrator references stuff in human terms because she can't do it any other way'.

Also, about the lack of insanity thing, I can't really say much on what's happened to it because I am a newbie and haven't sufficiently contributed to the insanity of the Lounge save for the 9000+ posts celebration dealie that went on about 1300 posts ago.

Yeah! I remember that! You were there! And you! And you...! And you...!

Nice times.

So you write about a Giratina who tells the story, uh? I remember that too...

Seriously, if this continues for more than three weeks, we will be hit with a wave of "Insanity Nostalgia" or something. I'd ascribe to the idea of finding a conspiracy theory in Pokémon, if I could find an entry point for a conspiracy that was not the overused Nurse Joy / Officer Jenny / Gym Guy.

I'll have to settle with this:

Giratina of Never-Turn-Back said:
    NIDORANS. idontknowwhathteirproblemisseriouslytheg...⌇...hemapartanditsscaryandidunnowherethisisgoing...

Fanfiction Lounge

Thanks!

For touching the subject...​

I mean really. What... the... hełł, Nintendo? The shinies are colored the right way, and the normal ones the wrong way, assumming you do the whole pink-for-girls-because-of-girly-western-culture sort of thing. I personally swing the eastern "color is for emotion" way, but...

Not only that! Nidorino and Nidoking are pimps, I concede, but how come Nidorina and Nidoqueen won't only not breed with them, but not breed at all? What, is there a Legendary-ness to female Nidos or something? Or was it a Gen I bug that Nintendo has happily let go to ruin my life?

OK, I should stop ranting about Nidos. It's not the place (there is a Nido Group I can go for that...) but it's still one of the things in the fandom that contributes to my insanity where available: fan theories on Nido family. That and Smeargle. How does he do that????? What a huge reference to Final Fantasy VI!

On the whole Lounge issue, I think we are looking towards the past and comparing with it too much. Maybe we should stop worrying. Memorable times will come. And they will be memorable. Perhaps coincidentally, they will be times as well. Oh and they will come.

Oh! I got it! Let's cake a bake for the next new member!

Bay

Years
  • Find a conspiracy or bizarre occurrence having to do with pokémon, Da Vinci Code style.
    NE is Da Vinci Code, Pokemon style. :p Seriously, I have theories on the plates, the Pokemon Center PC, the legendaries, and other goods. :P Also makes me wonder why no one read it in PC. D: *gets shot*

On the whole Lounge issue, I think we are looking towards the past and comparing with it too much. Maybe we should stop worrying. Memorable times will come. And they will be memorable. Perhaps coincidentally, they will be times as well. Oh and they will come.

Oh! I got it! Let's cake a bake for the next new member!
    But I want some memorable times now! D: Well, I guess you're right on that. They will come. However, I noticed the activity in the lounge is dying down (even I'm less active in the lounge). That, and seems there's not much interaction except for bolds at the moment.

Baking a cake sounds like a good idea though. :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back