• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Painfully Slow Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • Hi, everybody! I'm deoxys121. Welcome to my new challenge, The Painfully Slow Challenge!

How to Play This Challenge:

The concept behind this challenge is to only use Pokemon with a very low base speed. Specifically, you cannot use Pokemon with a base speed higher than 40. This can be somewhat annoying because you will in most cases not be able to move first in the battle. As with most challenges, ultimate runs are not only allowed, they are encouraged. Here is a list I compiled of all qualifying Pokemon:
    Spoiler:

For Pokemon whose evolved forms qualify, but themselves do not, you may use the pre-evolved form until its earliest evolution opportunity. Ex: Once Combee reaches Lv21, don't press B!

Rules:

• Emulators and the speed button are allowed.
    • Trading/Hacking/Cheating regulations: You may only do this if there are no qualifying Pokemon obtainable before the third gym, you need to hack (if you can't trade)/trade to evolve a Pokemon, or if you want to use a Pokemon with egg moves, meaning you can then trade/hack in ONE egg at the earliest opportunity. Also, the egg must be of a Pokemon obtainable before the Elite Four.
    • You can use a non-qualifying starter until before the third gym. Before said gym, you must capture the first Pokemon you intend to use.
    • HM slaves are allowed, but no battling with them.
    • Note that there are a few starters with 40 or less base speed when unevolved.
    • If you have a Pokemon with 40 or less base speed that has more than 40 base speed when it evolves, you cannot evolve it.
    • You are not allowed to use increased priority moves or moves that primarily increase your speed, primarily decrease your opponent's speed, have a Pokemon hold Quick Claw, or use Carbos or any other speed-enhancing items on your Pokemon. Note that moves that effect speed secondarily (Mud Shot, Rock Tomb, Flame Charge, etc.) are allowed.
    • For Black and White, you cannot add Reshiram or Zekrom to your party after catching them. Therefore, you must have 6 Pokemon on hand at that time, whether you battle with them or not.
    The following moves are the ones that are not allowed per terms of the 7th rule. If a Pokemon knows one of these moves when captured, do not use the move in battle, and forget the move ASAP:

• Speed Enhancers: Acupressure; Agility; Autotomize; Dragon Dance; Quiver Dance; Rock Polish; Shell Smash; Tailwind; Trick Room
    • Increased Priority Moves: Helping Hand; Protect; Magic Coat; Snatch; Detect; Endure; Follow Me; Fake Out; Rage Powder; Wide Guard; Feint; ExtremeSpeed; Aqua Jet; Bide (Gen IV and V); Ice Shard; Mach Punch; Quick Attack; Shadow Sneak; Sucker Punch; Vacuum Wave; Ally Switch
    • Speed Depleters on Opponent: Cotton Spore; Scary Face; String Shot

Your challenge is complete when:

• Red/Blue/Yellow: Defeat the Elite Four.
    • Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver: Defeat Red.
    • Ruby/Sapphire: Defeat the Elite Four.
    • Emerald: Defeat Steven
    • FireRed/LeafGreen: Defeat the Elite Four. Second round optional, but recommended for more of a challenge.
    • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Defeat the Elite Four. Second round on Platinum optional.
    • Black/White: Defeat the second round of the Elite Four.
    Extreme Mode Rules:

• If you want to have an extra amount of difficulty, you can try an Extreme Mode challenge.
    • For Extreme Mode, all previous rules apply, but the maximum base speed is dropped from 40 to 25.
    Qualifying Pokemon for Extreme Mode:
    Spoiler:

Challengers:
    Spoiler:

Champions:
    Spoiler:

Userbar:
    You may use this userbar, made by me, while playing this challenge if you want.
    579-1.png

Sign-up Form:
    Username:
    Challenge type: (Single or Ultimate; Normal or Extreme)
    Game(s):

My Sign-up Form:
    Username: deoxys121
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Game(s): FireRed; Silver; Sapphire; Platinum; Black

After this thread is approved, I will start. Have fun everyone!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Nincada evolves into both Shedinja and Ninjask, the former of which has a base speed of 40. Would it be alright to train Nincada and evolve it to get Shedinja, then ditch the Ninjask? Still debating on whether or not I want to enter, since I'm kinda not gonna have much time for this, but figured I'd ask.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • @Sydian:

That's perfectly fine, just as long as you ditch that speed-demon Ninjask. And, in Gen IV and V games, you can't teach Shedinja Shadow Sneak since that's a variation of Quick Attack.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Username: KoboraX
    Challenge Type: Ultimate (And I just wrote a death wish for myself)
    Game(s): Yellow, Gold (My GBC Silver won't work), Emerald, Pearl, White

I'll start off with White first, then go from there.

Years
  • [...]No trading, hacking, or cheating unless no Pokemon with 40 base speed or lower are available before the third gym. The exception is for evolutions that require such. You may also hack for trade evos if you can't trade.[...][
    How about another exception to this: Everstones. Since there are probably quite a few unevolved forms going to be used and failing to press B in time is quite likely to happen, it might be worth allowing to somehow "acquire" them early in the game. By other means than catching 200 Geodudes.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years

• How about another exception to this: Everstones. Since there are probably quite a few unevolved forms going to be used and failing to press B in time is quite likely to happen, it might be worth allowing to somehow "acquire" them early in the game. By other means than catching 200 Geodudes.
    Yeah, that's fine. There are a LOT of Pokemon out there that qualify when unevolved, but don't qualify when evolved. Ex. Cubchoo is eligible, but not Beartic.

KoboraX: You've been added to the list. Good luck.

And for my first update on FireRed:
    - Chose Squirtle, beat Gary, did all the boring intro stuff.
    - Soloed with Squirtle all the way to Pewter City, very easily beating Brock, then continued until I could reach Mt. Moon.
    - At Mt. Moon, I caught a Geodude and a Paras. Thus, I boxed Squirtle for future HM use.
    - Grinded them to Lv14, then went back to battle some trainers I skipped on purpose.
    - Went through Mt. Moon, fighting all those trainers, stopped at the Mega Punch tutor to teach that to Geodude.
    - Got to Cerulean, healed, then beat Gary.
    - Beat the trainers on Nugget Bridge, and north thereof, got the S.S. Ticket from Bill.
    - Went to the Cerulean Gym. Paras soloed Misty with Bullet Seed and Leech Life.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Nobody else has posted, so now for a new update on FireRed:
    - Went south to Vermilion, fought trainers on the routes around Vermilion, got 10 Pokemon in my Pokedex.
    - Did the S.S. Anne, got Cut, which I taught to an HM Slave Oddish.
    - Went to the Vermilion Gym, beat the trainers, did the door puzzle.
    - Parasect soloed Lt. Surge with Dig.
    - Got Flash, taught it to Oddish.
    - Went to Cerulean, then east to Rock Tunnel, fighting trainers.
    - Went through Rock Tunnel, fought all those trainers, stopped along the way and taught Graveler Rock Slide.
    - Healed, then went west, skipped most of the trainers on purpose for future Snorlax training.
    - Got to Celadon, then went through the Rocket Hideout quest, got the Silph Scope.
    - Went to the tower, beat Gary, then went up to the top, skipped about half the trainers for Snorlax training.
    - Saved Mr. Fuji, got the Poke Flute.
    - Went to the west of Celadon, caught Snorlax.
    - Got Psychic from Saffron to teach Snorlax, bought enough coins to get Shadow Ball, taught those two moves and Shock Wave to Snorlax.
    - Used Snorlax to beat all the skipped trainers, then soloed the Celadon Gym with Snorlax. Psychic was useful against Erika.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

I also have Oddish for Cut and Flash slave, and Pidgey for Fly Slave.

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Username: dragonomega
    Challenge type: Single
    Game: LeafGreen

I have a slight problem with acquiring my Pokemon. I've chosen; Slowbro, Gloom, Rhydon and Lickitung. But Slowpoke and Oddish are version exclusives... ;-; Could I perhaps hack in Oddish; since I'm playing LG? also could i use Oddish as my starter? ._.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Username: dragonomega
    Challenge type: Single
    Game: LeafGreen

I have a slight problem with acquiring my Pokemon. I've chosen; Slowbro, Gloom, Rhydon and Lickitung. But Slowpoke and Oddish are version exclusives... ;-; Could I perhaps hack in Oddish; since I'm playing LG? also could i use Oddish as my starter? ._.

Since there are other qualifying Pokemon available prior, no to the hacking, sorry. I'll set this restriction: catch the first Pokemon you want to use before the third gym. For LeafGreen, perhaps you could try catching a Geodude at Mt. Moon, because Graveler also qualifies (but not Golem). Maybe you could try FireRed instead? Let me know what you wanna do.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I'll replace Gloom with Jigglypuff. And I'll just use my starter until I can catch her.

EDIT: I'll switch this challenge over to Silver. And do it with Corsola, Jigglypuff, Gloom, Slowbro, Phanpy and Forretress.

Finished my first update.

Spoiler:

Meet the team

Spoiler:

Last edited:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Now for my next update on FireRed:
    - Fought all trainers on Cycling Road and the routes between Fuchsia and Lavender Town.
    - Went through the Safari Zone to get Surf and the Gold Teeth so I could get Strength.
    - Went to the Fuchsia Gym, beat the trainers, then beat Koga. Again, Psychic is my friend here.
    - Flew to Saffron, beat the Fighting Dojo, then took care of Team Rocket in Silph Co.
    - After that, I healed, then went to the Saffron Gym.
    - Once I reached Sabrina, I would have done better if it wasn't for that Reflect. But, I won regardless.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

In addition to aforementioned slaves, I also have my Wartortle for Strength.

Now for another update on FireRed:
    - Fought all the trainers on the newly accessible sea routes.
    - Went through the Pokemon Mansion, got the key.
    - Went to the gym, purposely fought all the gym trainers, then soloed Blaine with Snorlax's Surf.
    - Went to the Sevii Islands, fought all the accessible trainers, saved Lostelle.
    - Went back to Cinnabar, then remembered I need 60 Pokemon in my Pokedex to get the National Dex. Took care of that.
    - Went to the Viridian Gym, beat all the gym trainers, then healed, and went to Giovanni.
    - Giovanni got soloed by Parasect, who used SolarBeam on his two Rhyhorns (which could have already evolved at their levels :\) and his Dugtrio, and Dig and Aerial Ace on his Nidoking/queen.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Luigi-San, you're on the list!

Here's my next FireRed update:
    - Beat Gary on the route to the reception gate.
    - Went through the badge check gates, then went through Victory Road, fighting all the trainers.
    - Did some grinding to bring my team to Lv60.
    - Went through the Elite Four. They were moderately difficult, but not too bad. Lorelei was mostly taken with Thunderbolt, Bruno with Ice Beam and Aerial Ace, Agatha (the easiest) Earthquake and Shadow Ball, and then Lance was Thunderbolt, Rock Slide, and a LOT of Ice Beam.
    - Then, the champion, Gary. He was tough, but I won regardless.
    Spoiler:

Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2020
    This sounds fun. Sign up please.
    Username: FACEcake1223
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game: Emerald

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • FACEcake1223, you're in!

Now then, here's my final update for FireRed:
    - Went to the Sevii Islands and did the whole Ruby and Sapphire quest. Yes, vague here, but I did fight every trainer.
    - Went through Cerulean Cave, beat Mewtwo.
    - Went back to the Sevii Islands, and did a lot of VS Seeker grinding.
    - Through this grinding, everyone was risen to Lv77-78.
    - I then used my 7 Rare Candies to bring everyone to Lv80.
    - Then, I went to face the second round of the Elite Four.
    - For Lorelei: Dewgong and Cloyster got Thunderbolted to death. Piloswine got SolarBeamed and Earthquaked. Jynx got Shadow Balled. Lapras got Thunderbolted.
    - For Bruno: First Steelix got Earthquaked. Hitmonchan got Psychic'd. Hitmonlee got Aerial Aced. Machamp also got Aerial Aced. Last Steelix got Earthquake and Brick Break'd.
    - For Agatha: The 2 Gengar and Misdreavus got Shadow Balled. Crobat got Thunderbolted. Arbok got Psychic'd.
    - For Lance: Gyardos and Aerodactyl got Thunderbolted. Kingdra got a couple Sludge Bombs. Both Dragonite got Ice Beamed.
    - For Gary: watch this. Epic fail at the start.
    My final team for FireRed:
    Spoiler:

First update on Silver:
    - Chose Totodile, did all the intro stuff, blah blah blah.
    - Got PokeBalls, caught a Geodude, boxed Totodile.
    - Trained Geodude on the way to Violet City and in Sprout Tower, then beat the Violet Gym.
    - Went south and caught a Wooper, trained said Wooper, and fought all the trainers on the way to Azalea Town.
    - Beat the Slowpoke Well, then beat the gym.
    - Trained everyone to Lv20 so Wooper would evolve, then beat my rival Silver.
    - Caught a Paras in Ilex Forest, trained it to Lv16 against wild Pokemon.
    - Got Cut, taught that to Totodile, and fought all available trainers around Goldenrod.
    - Beat the Goldenrod Gym. I plan to replace Geodude with Sudowoodo now.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • OK, next update on Silver:
    - Caught Sudowoodo, beat some trainers I skipped on purpose for training Sudowoodo.
    - Went north, fighting the remaining couple trainers.
    - Caught a Rattata for Rock Smash slave, beat the trainers in the Burned Tower, beat the Kimono Girls, got Surf.
    - Beat the Ecruteak Gym.
    - Went west, fighting all the trainers, caught a Miltank for Strength slave.
    - Healed, then fought all the trainers in the lighthouse.
    - Surfed south and fought all the trainers on the way to Cianwood City.
    - Beat the Cianwood Gym.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

ParanoidMocha

Paranoid since '98
    Years
  • I had beat Bugsy and my team was

Granite the geodude
    Sheldon the Togepi
    Pokey the Slowpoke

But computer shot down adn i'm not sure when I stopped

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Next update on Silver:
    - Flew to Olivine, went up the tower, gave medicine to Amphy.
    - Went down, fought the Olivine Gym and won.
    - Flew to Ecruteak, went east, fighting trainers.
    - Healed, then went north, fighting trainers, beat the Red Gyarados.
    - Went back to Mahogany, beat Team Rocket in their hideout.
    - Beat the Mahogany gym.
    - Went to the Radio Tower and did the whole Team Rocket quest there.
    - Went through the Ice Path, healed, then fought all the trainers to the south of Blackthorn City.
    - Went to the gym, pwn'd Clair, did the Dragon's Den quest.
    - Flew to New Bark Town to get the Master Ball, then surfed east on my way to Victory Road, fought all trainers on the way.
    - Beat Silver at the end of Victory Road, then healed and stocked up on healing items.
    - Went through the Elite Four rather easily due to the fact that I outranked them in level. Lance was moderately difficult, though.
    PSCL.png

Team is now:
    Spoiler:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
    • Started the game.
    • Chose Oshawott as a starter for later slave uses.
    • Owned Bianca and Cheren.
    • Did all the beginning stuff.
    • Reached Accumula Town.
    • Owned N.
    • Got the Running Shoes.
    • Beat Bianca on Route 3.
    • Arrived in Striaton City.
    • Got a Pansear from the girl at the Dreamyard.
    • Owned Cheren in the Trainer's School.
    • Beat Cilan. He wasn't too tough. Just using Oshawott did the job.
    • Owned the Team Plasma grunts in the Dreamyard.
    • Caught Dream the Munna in the Dreamyard.
    • Owned Cheren on Route 3.
    • Beat the Team Plasma grunts in Wellspring Cave.
    • Caught Elvis the Rogenrolla in Wellspring Cave.
    • Arrived in Nacrene City.

I'll finish this update up later. I gotta go somewhere.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • New update for Silver:
    - Went on the SS Aqua to Vermilion, beat all the trainers on said ship.
    - Healed then beat the Vermilion Gym.
    - Went north to Saffron, beat the Saffron Gym.
    - Went west to Celadon, beat the Celadon Gym.
    - Went south to Fuchsia, fighting trainers, beat the Fuchsia Gym (too easy).
    - Went north to Lavender, fought all the trainers on the way.
    - Went west and fought the trainers on that route.
    - Went north to Cerulean, fought all the trainers north of Cerulean, fought all the trainers on the way to the Power Plant, talked to the manager about the part.
    - Went back to Cerulean, beat the Rocket, got the part, took it to the Power Plant.
    - Disrupted Misty's date, then beat her at the gym.
    Team is now:
    Spoiler:

Final update on Silver:
    - Got the EXPN Card, got the Rail Pass, beat Snorlax, went through Diglett's Cave.
    - Fought the trainers east of Pewter City, including Silver at Mt. Moon.
    - Went to the gym and totally pwn'd Brock.
    - Went south through the towns, fighting the few trainers along the way, surfed south and fought more trainers to Cinnabar Island.
    - Surfed east and fought all the rest of the trainers on the sea routes.
    - Healed at Cinnabar, then went to the gym on Seafoam Islands, beat Blaine very easily.
    - Went back to Cinnabar, talked to Blue, flew to Viridian, beat Blue.
    - Did a lot of grinding in various locales, such as Mt. Silver, S.S. Aqua, and the Pokemon League, then used my 5 Rare Candies, bringing my team to Lv72.
    - Went up Mt. Silver, and beat Red. My battle with Red can be viewed here.
    My final team:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back