• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolution!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    tumblr_mrbt3cOELV1rhwq1ko1_400.gif

One of the biggest changes that X&Y introduced was Mega Evolution: an in-battle, temporary transformation that some Pokemon can do to unleash their full power. The feature is slightly controversial amongst fans; some people love it, saying that it's a nice way to freshen up old Pokemon and possibly make more neglected ones useful. Others hate it, saying that it's a Digimon rip-off and that (some) of the Mega Evolutions are overpowered.

But what do you think of Mega Evolution? Clearly this is something that's here to stay, and Game Freak is certainly still riding the Mega Evolution train, what with Mega Evolutions being the focus of the ORAS pre-release and part of the game's storyline.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    I think its a brilliant idea and I do believe some mega evolutions are overpowered but whats not to say that all pokemon will have a mega evolution at some point

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    tumblr_mrbt3cOELV1rhwq1ko1_400.gif

One of the biggest changes that X&Y introduced was Mega Evolution: an in-battle, temporary transformation that some Pokemon can do to unleash their full power. The feature is slightly controversial amongst fans; some people love it, saying that it's a nice way to freshen up old Pokemon and possibly make more neglected ones useful. Others hate it, saying that it's a Digimon rip-off and that (some) of the Mega Evolutions are overpowered.

But what do you think of Mega Evolution? Clearly this is something that's here to stay, and Game Freak is certainly still riding the Mega Evolution train, what with Mega Evolutions being the focus of the ORAS pre-release and part of the game's storyline.

I don't think it's too much like Digimon, I get the similarity to Digivolving and that kinda stuff, but it adds an element to the game that adding more Pokémon just hasn't previously. I mean, you can now build an entire team around a single Mega Evolving Pokémon. When I first heard about it it put me off and I didn't ever want to go back to Pokémon. But then I saw videos for the game and a review for the 2DS and then I ended up buying them...

I love some of the Mega Evolutions, the Mega Pidgeot looks really awesome - I can't wait for my copy of ORAS to get here so I can finally play with it!

I think its a brilliant idea and I do believe some mega evolutions are overpowered but whats not to say that all pokemon will have a mega evolution at some point

I hope that not all Pokémon have one, it's only around 5% of Pokémon have a form of Mega Evolution, I'm hoping that none will be added until Gen 7 after ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    I hope that not all Pokémon have one, it's only around 5% of Pokémon have a form of Mega Evolution, I'm hoping that none will be added until Gen 7 after ORAS.

I'm just saying it might happen but hopefully there will be more Mega-evolutions after ORAS, i think its a cool addition to the game

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I'm just saying it might happen but hopefully there will be more Mega-evolutions after ORAS, i think its a cool addition to the game

Well, it is Game Freak so you never know :P. I'm sure there will be more after ORAS, I just hope it's limited to around 5% - 10% of the available Pokémon. Purely because that sort of percentage adds a nice amount I think :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Well, it is Game Freak so you never know :P. I'm sure there will be more after ORAS, I just hope it's limited to around 5% - 10% of the available Pokémon. Purely because that sort of percentage adds a nice amount I think :)

I hope not all legendaries get Mega-evolution because it wouldn't make a difference to what everyone will choose in their parties

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I hope not all legendaries get Mega-evolution because it wouldn't make a difference to what everyone will choose in their parties

Definitely, Game Freak need to try and avoid introducing some form of power creep. I think it's nice they're reinvigorating older Pokémon but making them a bit too overpowered isn't the right way to go about it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Definitely, Game Freak need to try and avoid introducing some form of power creep. I think it's nice they're reinvigorating older Pokémon but making them a bit too overpowered isn't the right way to go about it.
    I think they should do Multiple Mega-evolutions like they have done for Charizard and Mewtwo

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I would have been much more for it if they hand't done it the way they had for some pokemon. Certain Pokemon like Medicham or Gengar that get a straight power boost to all their stats or at least their strongest stats are okay and it's kinda cool, the ones I hate however are the ones that completely change the pokemon from a physical attacker to a special attacker, or vice versa. Or ones that get a completely different ability from their normal forms to the extent that you now need completely different move sets for it based on whether you will use it's mega evolved form or not (Pidgeot, Blastoise, Lopunny, etc) it would be one thing if it just got a power boost so you had the option of mega evolving it or not, particularly since you can only mega evolve one pokemon in a battle, however when you have to train, teach and even breed egg moves and completely different natures depending on whether you're going to mega evolve it or not is ridiculous. And then of course there's the legendary mega evolutions. Mewtwo can go either way of course, but again, you have to do completely different move sets, Ev training and move sets depending on what form you want it to evolve into, and Diancie again, completely different natures depending on if you're going to use normal form or mega form and you can't just breed new legendaries, what you get is what you're stuck with so it's even worse if you went all out on a pokemon's normal form and then suddenly it gets a mega evolution with totally different stats completely altering or even making useless what you worked so hard to get in the first place.

So in short, if al the pokemon simply got straight boosts to their stats, I would like it, but since some pokemon completely change what they are fundamentally, no, overall I would say I hate mega evolution and will be worshipping whatever pagan god will make it go away in gen 7! ;-p

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    IDK, I kinda like that some megas have a different play style than their base forms. Keeps things interesting, no?

It still baffles me though how Game Freak made 2 mega evolutions for Mewtwo and claim that's balanced. Like, seriously Game Freak? Do you guys even know what balance is? Because I really question that.

It's also slightly amusing that they gave Garchomp a mega but made it arguably worse than regular Garchomp.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    IDK, I kinda like that some megas have a different play style than their base forms. Keeps things interesting, no?

personally no, because then you need to either ALWAYS mega evolve that particular pokeom or NEVER evolve it, so essentially you're building an entire team around one pokemon (because you can only evolve one per battle) and the base form is either useless (Blastoise has WAY better moves than the pulse and aura moves that are boosted by it's mega ability, and if you don't evolve it it's not as strong as it could be move pool wise) or completely negates one or the other (Lopunny has a great strategy as a Klutz user if you boost it's Speed and Special defences, but it's worthless if you use the same lopunny to mega evolve, and if you build a mega lopunny, then it's base form isn't worth using anymore) whereas the ones that get a straight boost you still have the option because the same move sets, ev training and natures can benefit either form so you have the option to mega evolve or not.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    At least it was some kind of change. Maybe we will see a main series game that's not using the same beat-to-death playthough objective (go from town to town, beat gym leaders and random evil team, become champion) in the future.
    Anyway Mega Evolutions were a neat addition because many of the most liked Pokemon now had something new that people could try out. As for me, I've only used three megas more than once, one being MKanga (Battle Maison), MAmphi and MMaw (both in wifi battles). I'm not particularly good in using megas which is why I'd rather play with teams that don't have one, tbh.

But it was nice to see something new.

Power Creep has been a thing for quite a while now. In X and Y a lot of Pokemon (especially those from Gen 1) got a stat boost only to make theirs fit to the stronger ones.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    Power Creep has been a thing for quite a while now. In X and Y a lot of Pokemon (especially those from Gen 1) got a stat boost only to make theirs fit to the stronger ones.

That's true, but they're introducing a power creep within a power creep I guess (if that makes sense)? For instance Game Freak might create a totally unbalanced mega and they introduce another one just to balance it in the next gen, before long they may be introducing Megas to balance others. I didn't realise though that Gen 1 Pokemon got a stat boost in X and Y, although it makes sense now!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    At least it was some kind of change. Maybe we will see a main series game that's not using the same beat-to-death playthough objective (go from town to town, beat gym leaders and random evil team, become champion) in the future.

That's every single roleplaying game that ever existed. Go from point A to Point B, collect this, do that objective, look for that, get stronger, beat the last boss, game over. Heck, that's most action games right there in fact.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think Mega Evolution is a good concept; it gave some forgotten Pokemon the opportunity to shine, like the Kanto starters and Mawile. As already mentioned, Mega Evolution completely changes how a Pokemon is played, as seen with Venusaur; it was played as a Chlorophyll sweeper in Gen V, and now it's played as a defensive tank as Mega Venusaur.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    That's every single roleplaying game that ever existed. Go from point A to Point B, collect this, do that objective, look for that, get stronger, beat the last boss, game over. Heck, that's most action games right there in fact.
    My problem is not about the base concept of the game, but rather how obvious the plot is set up. In an open world game you do, whatever you feel like doing; it's all about the player character. In a (j)RPG you want to experience the story, how the characters you play react to certain plot elements and how they finally solve the whole conflict that's been going on.

And then you have the Pokemon games: you know you are a trainer, you know that you beat Gym Leaders and some evil team and at the end there is the Pokemon League and the Champion. The only thing that changes is the Pokemon you are using and that's where the games have a huge flaw that's been around since gen 1.
    They never really bothered to make the transition between battles (gameplay) and story (and worldbuilding for that matter) fluent so that you get the feeling of experiencing the game from a different angle. I mean: you are important and not your Pokemon, because they are just a substitute for your own skillset. In the end, you beat the champion, nobody talks about your Pokemon who went through the hassle of beating the opposing Pokemon. And then they tell you how important the bond between trainer and Pokemon is. That doesn't make any sense.

It's the whole reason why people came up with challenges like Nutzlocke in the first place; _because_ that way they feel like their Pokemon are actually part of the story. If Giovanni beats your Pokemon with a crit. and it dies, it's a huge deal and it will always be know as "the fierce battle against the evil Mafia Boss Giovanni were Pokemon XYZ lost it's life for a better future"
    I'm not saying GF should build a feature to let Pokemon die (because that's not what the games are made for), but at least there could be more of a meaning to the Pokemon you are using. That way even after playing a game 20 times in a row you still are able to experience something new.

I know it's not an easy task, but after six generations you'd think they realized that it's something that's inevitable to do sometime in the future.

Speaking of which (and to return to the topic at hand): that scene where you fight Korina using Mega Evolution for the first time went into that direction, by combining the story (hearing about mevos) with the actual gameplay element (Lucario sharing a bond with you and thus being able to mega evolve). So there is change in this regard, even if it's just a small one.
    In this regard I'd have to say that Mega Evolution indeed was a good thing for the games.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • personally no, because then you need to either ALWAYS mega evolve that particular pokeom or NEVER evolve it, so essentially you're building an entire team around one pokemon (because you can only evolve one per battle) and the base form is either useless (Blastoise has WAY better moves than the pulse and aura moves that are boosted by it's mega ability, and if you don't evolve it it's not as strong as it could be move pool wise) or completely negates one or the other (Lopunny has a great strategy as a Klutz user if you boost it's Speed and Special defences, but it's worthless if you use the same lopunny to mega evolve, and if you build a mega lopunny, then it's base form isn't worth using anymore) whereas the ones that get a straight boost you still have the option because the same move sets, ev training and natures can benefit either form so you have the option to mega evolve or not.

If you're not going to Mega Evolve, then simply don't use the stone. There's no drawback to Mega Evolution when you're using it, so there's no reason not to Mega Evolve.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Some pokemon need a regular evolution before a Mega... but then Mawile proved they can take a nothing Mon and make it top teir.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    If you're not going to Mega Evolve, then simply don't use the stone. There's no drawback to Mega Evolution when you're using it, so there's no reason not to Mega Evolve.

Um, I just explained several drawbacks with mega evolution in my post, you even quoted the drawbacks in the post you're responding to me in. And (to repeat myself again) you're right, there's no drawbacks for most of them, and you're right, you can simply opt not to use them, HOWEVER, as I said (again and again) the choice is taken away from you, for some pokemon. It's not as simple as choosing not to use it, for some you are required to EITHER train, build move sets and gets natures for it's original form OR it's mega form, you don't get the choice of using it or not using it as the decision has been made for you, you have to do one or the other.

Beedrill loses it's (potential) sniper ability and gets the (arguably) not as good adaptability so if you built a move set to capitalize on Sniper, well, too bad.
    Pidgeot goes from a physical to a special attacker,
    Steelix you lose something useful like Sturdy, Sheer Force or even Rock Head for SAND FORCE? Come on!
    Sharpedo you lose Speed Boost for Strong Jaw. Not a huge deal, but you now need to focus on more biting moves unless you just simply don't want to make use of it's ability at all, but again, changing move sets based around the mega ability OR the normal ability
    Altaria, Glalie and Salamence, while all good boosts, all require a normal type move in order to make use of their ability, (see above)
    Diancie (who if you didn't know about the mega evolution like I didn't until half way through) could potentially have soft reset for a Brave, Quiet, Relaxed or Sassy nature, then it's mega stone comes and boom, it loses both defenses for an increase in speed and both attacks, again, totally nature and training situation if you didn't know beforehand, and you can't breed for another one to get the correct nature for the mega form.
    Blastoise, again, COMPLETELY different move sets based on it's mega ability vs it's normal form. (except for one, it's pointless to have the pulse and aura moves in normal form, there's so many better options. And if you DON'T have the pulse and aura moves, then it's mega form is totally wasted)
    Heracross, you must have Arm Thrust, Fury Attack, Pin Missile or Bullet Seed on it in order to make use of it's ability, which is fine, except that if you don't mega evolve, all those moves suck and there are far better moves for it, but if you DO mega evolve, you need to have at least one of those on it, once again, letting it's mega evolution dictate it's moves.
    Garchomp, gets slower AND loses Rough Skin for Sand Force

All the rest where their stats get a boost in areas they're already strong in or they get their weaknesses bolstered, yes, you're right, it is a good thing, but there are those that you have to completely alter your strategy for a TEMPORARY status forcing you to, (to repeat myself again) ALWAYS mega evolve those particular pokemon or NEVER mega evolve those particular pokemon because everything about them hinges on normal or mega, not both.

Years
  • At first I was really turned off by it and was one of the biggest things keeping me from getting excited for XY, but in time it really grew on me. It makes a lot of older Pokémon a lot more interesting to use, so it was a cool new feature in the long run.

Back