• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolution!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday

I'm not really sure what it is you're trying to say here.....?

It's not uncommon for Pokemon to run completely different sets based on what you want them to do. It's physically impossible for a single Pokemon to do everything at once. Like, Sylveon is capable of running a bulky offensive Specs set or a cleric set, two completely different sets, but you can't really do both at the same time. Breloom runs completely different movesets depending on if you're using Poison Heal or Technician.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I believe mega-evolution to be an interesting concept, really! I'm happy they have introduced it.

Although this method is quite similar to the system Digimon seems to have, as others have pointed out, it still has its distinction. Here, transition takes place during battles only, and we also have restriction as to how much megas we could use per match, which, I believe, would be only one at the moment. Plus, we're also required to have Pokémon hold onto certain mega-stone before they are able to transform, which is slightly different than Digimon's form of system.

Of all mega-evolutions they have introduced in X and Y, I would say my most favorite would definitely have to be Mega-Blastoise; it looks like a tank, and is built like one. It could endure ton of hits for you without any trouble at all, which I find to be quite helpful. Least favorite, I'm not sure if I actually have any... however, if I do have to go with one, it is probably going to be Charizard X. I like its body-structure, but its color-scheme doesn't seem to click on me, precisely. If it weren't for that, I would have loved it.

Grotesque

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2014
    I liked the Mega - Evolution. There are a few Pokémon I would have liked to have Mega Evolutions but I liked the designs and choices for most of them.

Years
    I really enjoyed Mega Evolution to be honest.

I was kinda skeptical about it at first, but it really made changes for the better such as turning previously underrated Pokemon into some pretty powerful stuff and also made certain Pokemon relevant on a competitive scale once again. It was a feature that did catch me by surprise, but in the end it's a great concept.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2014
    I was also skeptical about how they were gonna do the megas but I really enjoyed them and how they did them. Some pokemon (like beedrill and lopunny) got some real unbelievable boosts but still was an awesome idea and im happy they did it

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh yeah I never really posted my full thoughts on Mega Evolution. Copy paste from another thread in here, but whatever:

Personally I like the concept of Mega Evolution and don't have a problem with it in general, but I think that Game Freak really did not think hard enough about balance when doing Megas. I know that giving megas to popular pokes helps the more casual player get into mega evolution, but Mewtwo, Tyranitar, Garchomp, Gengar, and the Latis really should not have gotten megas. A good example of a popular Pokemon that also needed a Mega Evolution was Charizard. But then of course there were the few that went from being useless or outclassed to being a little too good: Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence, respectively.

And then there is the monster know as Mega Rayquaza. Really Game Freak? It doesn't need a mega stone to Mega Evolve? Really?!

Also, Mega Evolution is not a Digimon rip-off. If you say that you clearly haven't played enough JRPGs or watched/read enough shonen anime/manga.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    I like Mega Evolutions on - shall we say - 'less loved' Pokemon. For example Beedrill. The starters as well to a certain degree, but I don't really get the point of it on Pokemon that are already powerhouses such as Mewtwo. I think there's way more Pokemon that need the love. Mightyena spings to mind straight away.
    I'm not against Mega Evolutions at all, I think they're a bizarre but interesting way of trying to keep battling fresh.
    Like I said, though, I don't really get it on Pokemon that are already good. *Shrug* I honestly do think it should be something used on underrated or flat-out underpowered Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    This might be an odd opinion, but I dislike they didn't require mega evolving using a turn up. On some pokemon that just get stronger but stay mostly the same when going mega, there are actual moves that give less of a boost, and don't remain if switched out, and waste a turn. I suppose its balanced out by having to give up a hold item. But its always been something I disliked about it.

*grumbles... charrizard gets 2 and the other kanto starters only get 1?

That said I like the idea of the mega evolving, giving new value or new styles to old pokemon. And they even found a way to make lucario look more awesome, even if he's perhaps not the most powerful mega, he's still my favorite for style points alone.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2015
    We all know Mega Mewtwo should have been:

Mega Evolution!

D:

I found that fantastically disappointing. Some kind of psychic-barraging, flash-cannoning psychic/steel Mewtwo would have been boss. I guess we have Mega Metagross for all that, though.

Armoured Mewtwo looks so badass though.

Back