• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What went wrong with FRLG?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Gonna be one of the oddballs apparently and say that I think FRLG were great as far as remakes go. It should probably be acknowledged too that these were the very first true remakes. They kept it classic with all of the new features that Gen III added (updated PC system, VS Seeker, breeding, etc.).

It's also really not fair at all to say that these games suck because they're incompatible with Gen I and II because that's a whole issue with the tech from them and not the games themselves, too.

FRLG were good, I'll just say that. The graphics were simple because it was a remake of the most simple games, yet they still fit in with the whole style of Hoenn, imo. My only complaint was that you couldn't evolve Golbat into Crobat or Onix into Steelix until you got the National Dex.

I don't get how the games were dumbed down, either. As far as I remember, they kept the exact same dialogue as the original games. Renaming the Gambler trainer class to Gamer was just the result of censorship issues that popped up in the time span between Gen I and Gen III. Same with Jynx's color scheme.

Yellow as a third installment has always stood apart from the other third installments, also. It focused specifically on the anime, something no other game has done. I don't know why they would even add anything Yellow-specific to the remakes, honestly.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I mean it's already established, that GF wanted for the first games to contain more stuff than they ended up with and it seems kind of logical to me that they would want to make the remakes what the originals should have been.

Then, why didn't they give us the 60 Gen 2 Pokémon that were originally planned for Gen 1? As I pointed out earlier, Crobat's cry even still exists in Red and Blue's data, so there's literally no excuse for excluding it.

I'm glad they ignored Yellow. The first generation is composed by Red/Green (Blue being the special edition of that generation and used as the basis for the international release). Yellow was a cheap anime tie-in, nothing more.

As for the remakes: the faithfulness is one of its greatest strenghts. I've started with Red/Blue and FR/LG are still the versions I go to the most to play that storyline and region.

This, I'm not so much on board with. If you really think about it, Yellow was the one and only anime tie-in they've ever done in the main series, and even then the differences between Yellow and RB were pretty miniscule.
I think it's important to view Yellow as having *specifically Pikachu* following you, not *your starter following you*. Remember, Pikachu counts as a character throughout Yellow, reacting to things in the overworld and some people comment on it.
TLDR; I don't think Yellow introduced enough content to warrant its features being in FRLG.

I'm going to say it right here--I hate Yellow bashing. Most of it comes from the exact same argument, too, "the anime sucks," or "it's not canon." (Bonus points if the person saying it is a huge Adventures fan and thinks that it's either A) game canon or that B) GF should make a game based on it, not even recognizing the hypocrisy of their statements.)

Even if it was only Pikachu, it was still the very first following Pokémon ever. And, I enjoyed Pikachu's Beach, even if you needed to jump through some hoops to be able to play it. I also liked seeing Jessie and James, and I think they would've been a fantastic way to introduce double battles into FRLG.

And, did I mention that the Gym Leaders were all harder, and that Yellow gave most of them better movesets? Or, that Yellow's sprites are way better than Red and Blue's? Or, that Yellow fixed many of Red and Blue's bugs? Or, that the starter Pikachu was the very first implementation of a happiness system in the games? Or, that Red's canon team is based on Yellow?

Yellow's a part of Gen 1, whether you like it or not.

I gotta agree with you there. After GSC had the PokéGear and RS had the PokéNav, it would've been nice for them to modernise the world of Kanto with some similar communications device. Instead, we got a damn Teachy TV. I hadn't thought about it before, but you definitely have a point when it comes to 'kiddifying' Pokémon. I don't so much mind that the newer Pokémon weren't immediately available, but certain 'mon like Espeon, Umbreon, Crobat, Blissey, etc should absolutely have been available, and simply weren't.

I agree. (Especially, on the phone part.) It's like the games were made specifically for preschoolers who had never played any of the previous ones instead of veterans who you would think would've been the target audience for a remake. Thank goodness GF learned their lesson with HGSS and ORAS.

Still, I for one was pleased by the presence of the Sevii Islands. I liked that they had remixed Johto music, and they let us have some Johto Pokémon, and I thought the extended Team Rocket storyline was pretty good. Basically, the Sevii Island post-game was good, but everything was a bit too half-hearted. There's small references to the radio-evolution experiment they conduct in GSC. And an even bigger deal? "No, your not Giovanni's kid, his kid has red hair."

Everything about the Sevii Islands was half-hearted. It's like GF used those islands as a dumping ground for things they were too cheap to give us in Kanto, such as Gen 2 Pokémon, Berries, a battle facility (however poor Sevii's Trainer Tower was), a Day Care, and trading compatibility with RSE.

And, screw Johto music, I would've rather seen Johto, itself. Same goes for Silver. And, those Rocket Admins didn't even have different sprites from the Grunts (like in GSC), let alone actual names (like in HGSS). Laaaazy! :rolleyes2:

Amusingly, the Sevii Islands completely vanished after FRLG. They were never seen or even heard from in any other game. (Not even HGSS bothered to acknowledge them, let alone include them.) Something tells me that even GF is ashamed of those islands...

I think, all in all, it's important to remember a couple things when discussing FRLG. Firstly, players had a long, long time to get used to Kanto Pokémon, because they were present throughout the first and second generations of games. 3rd gen arrives, and suddenly it's all these new Pokémon. A lot of Pokémon that were (arguably) considered favourites weren't available, like the original fossils, the likes of Arcanine, Gastly's line, and a lot of others. RS were seen as a bit of a reboot to the franchise. It's hard to say, but maybe they really did approach FRLG as a bit of an expansion to RSE rather than their own games. They wanted to stay faithful to the originals, so they really just left out a lot of potentially new material: for example, once I discovered there was now a female Player character, I fully expected them to go the RSE route and have her as at least a secondary character in-game, as an opponent or otherwise. But nope, she doesn't exist if you play as a boy, and vice versa.
Basically, because of the lack of connectivity between 2nd and 3rd gen (something they thankfully never let happen again), FRLG served only to reintroduce the Kanto (and a verrrrry select few Johto) Pokémon to help players fill up their Pokédexes. Colosseum, Gale of Darkness and Emerald later filled in the remaining gaps.

This is exactly why RSE should've included a second postgame region for the Pokémon missing in the Hoenn Dex (if the GB/C carts had room for two regions, then the GBA carts sure as hell did). I know a lot of people expected to return to Johto after beating Hoenn, and most of the "missing" Pokémon could've easily been put there (as they were all from Gens 1 and 2). Plus, May/Brendan, themselves, moved to Hoenn from Johto, so it's not like they don't have family there and thus, a reason to visit. I think having Johto as a postgame region might have also softened the blow from RSE's compatibility cut.

The remakes of GSC and RSE have both significantly added to the features available within their generations; in fact, I think it's pretty fair to say the HGSS and ORAS are the best games of their generations. The same can't be said for FRLG, definitely not, because of... well, all that they're lacking. I think it's safe to say that Game Freak have sinced learned from their mistake, and have managed to retain nostalgia in their remakes without ruining things by keeping them too close to the originals. Unfortunately in most cases of things being remade, staying "faithful" to the originals usually means sticking with something that is old, dated, and basically.. in need of renewal.

Which is exactly why Gen 1 could use a new remake, one that was made with the same level of care and quality as HGSS and ORAS. The Generation that started it all deserves so much better than FRLG.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Gonna be one of the oddballs apparently and say that I think FRLG were great as far as remakes go. It should probably be acknowledged too that these were the very first true remakes. They kept it classic with all of the new features that Gen III added (updated PC system, VS Seeker, breeding, etc.).

It's also really not fair at all to say that these games suck because they're incompatible with Gen I and II because that's a whole issue with the tech from them and not the games themselves, too.

FRLG were good, I'll just say that. The graphics were simple because it was a remake of the most simple games, yet they still fit in with the whole style of Hoenn, imo. My only complaint was that you couldn't evolve Golbat into Crobat or Onix into Steelix until you got the National Dex.

I don't get how the games were dumbed down, either. As far as I remember, they kept the exact same dialogue as the original games. Renaming the Gambler trainer class to Gamer was just the result of censorship issues that popped up in the time span between Gen I and Gen III. Same with Jynx's color scheme.

Yellow as a third installment has always stood apart from the other third installments, also. It focused specifically on the anime, something no other game has done. I don't know why they would even add anything Yellow-specific to the remakes, honestly.

I feel that this sums up much of what I would say. Considering I absolutely hated Hoenn, being able to return to Kanto was quite a relief for me. It was more familiar, and that's what makes sense about the games.

Being able to go through the game with Dark and Steel types wouldn't make sense, but just the fact that the existence of Steel and Dark Type moves calls the 'difficulty' issue to be called into question. Nearly every normal type was capable of learning Bite, Charmander could learn Metal claw, and Magnamite is now Steel/Electric. I'll say again that just the existence of two new types throws the Original Type effective scale out the window entirely.

And the excuse to offer you on why they didn't include the 60+ Pokémon that you said were 'behind the game' is simply the fact that they weren't in the final product to begin with. I feel like we'll all be at odds with how the remakes were handled, so I agree to disagree.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
BettyNewbie said:
And, did I mention that the Gym Leaders were all harder, and that Yellow gave most of them better movesets?

IMO the most difficulty from Yellow is artificial difficulty. Sorry, but cranking up enemy levels to the moon is artificial difficulty. Yellow did have improved movesets but the 1st gen AI is still hopeless and buggy.

Also, some of the gyms could be EASIER depending on your approach. Erika's two strongest Pokémon were devolved compared to RGB. Lt. Surge has a stronger Raichu but it's his only Pokémon and a Geodude still kills him. Koga has three Venonat, which is a very easy Pokémon to kill. Sabrina has an Abra without any offensive moves.

Platinum was a far more legitimately difficult game than Yellow, with gym leaders actually using smart strategies. And B2W2's Challenge Mode is even better in that regard.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Nearly every normal type was capable of learning Bite, Charmander could learn Metal claw, and Magnamite is now Steel/Electric. I'll say again that just the existence of two new types throws the Original Type effective scale out the window entirely.

Oooh, Bite and Metal Claw, what powerful attacks without STAB. :rolleyes2: And, remember that Bite was still a Special attack, so most of the things that learned it couldn't even use it properly.

And the excuse to offer you on why they didn't include the 60+ Pokémon that you said were 'behind the game' is simply the fact that they weren't in the final product to begin with.

If that's the excuse, then we shouldn't have been able to play as a girl, either. Like Crobat and friends, Leaf/Green was planned for the originals, yet cut because of space issues.

Platinum was a far more legitimately difficult game than Yellow, with gym leaders actually using smart strategies. And B2W2's Challenge Mode is even better in that regard.

Of course, they were... The DS games had far better AI and movesets than any other preceding Gen. But, Yellow still paved the way for Third Versions/Sequels upping the difficulty from the paired games.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I'm going to say it right here--I hate Yellow bashing.

Good to know, but it's irrelevant for the thread.

Most of it comes from the exact same argument, too, "the anime sucks," or "it's not canon."

Funny, but I never made such statements. Yellow was an adaptation of the anime, using the Red/Blue versions as a basis.

Even if it was only Pikachu, it was still the very first following Pokémon ever.

Because that's what happened in the anime.

And, did I mention that the Gym Leaders were all harder, and that Yellow gave most of them better movesets? Or, that Yellow's sprites are way better than Red and Blue's? Or, that Yellow fixed many of Red and Blue's bugs? Or, that the starter Pikachu was the very first implementation of a happiness system in the games?

So? It was released after the international Red/Blue, so it better have some bugfixes. Just like the international verions had improvements over the japanese ones.

Or, that Red's canon team is based on Yellow?

That's up to debate.

Yellow's a part of Gen 1, whether you like it or not.

It's more of a spin-off than anything else in the main series.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Funny, but I never made such statements. Yellow was an adaptation of the anime, using the Red/Blue versions as a basis.

No, it isn't. You still play as Red, your rival is still Blue, you still defeat Giovanni for good, and you still fight the Elite Four and Blue at the end. Aside from a few extra bits, it's still the games' story.

That's up to debate.

Why else would you think Red has a L81 unevolved Pikachu as his ace, or all three starters on his team without trading?

It's more of a spin-off than anything else in the main series.

It's a handheld Pokémon game that was made by Game Freak, so nope, not a spin-off. It's part of the Main Series, whether you like it or not.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
No, it isn't.

Yes, it is. You don't get to choose a starter, you're stuck with Pikachu as your starter throughout the whole thing (just like in the anime), the sprites and parts of the story were changed to be more faithful to the anime, etc...

Why else would you think Red has a L81 unevolved Pikachu as his ace,

Because he can?

or all three starters on his team without trading?

To not neglect any of the starter choices made by the players?

It's a handheld Pokémon game that was made by Game Freak, so nope, not a spin-off.

How does being an handheld game made by Game Freak makes it not a spin-off? A spin-off is something derived from an existing product or franchise. And Yellow fits that description.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Yes, it is. You don't get to choose a starter, you're stuck with Pikachu as your starter throughout the whole thing (just like in the anime), the sprites and parts of the story were changed to be more faithful to the anime, etc...

The sprites were changed to look BETTER. Do you really think Golbat was meant to look like this?

And, Red and Blue's sprites were changed to look more like their official art, which is what Ash and Gary's original designs happened to be based on. They use those exact same sprites in GSC.

And, what from the story was changed to be more like the anime? You mean, Jessie and James? ...They weren't exactly a whole lot like their anime counterparts, you know.

Because he can?

If that's all you can say, then you've clearly lost that argument, LOL. :P

To not neglect any of the starter choices made by the players?

But, it's impossible to own all three starters ("own" meaning "all having the same OT/Trainer ID") in RB, so it wouldn't make any sense, storywise. With Yellow, on the other hand, it does.

How does being an handheld game made by Game Freak makes it not a spin-off? A spin-off is something derived from an existing product or franchise. And Yellow fits that description.

The biggest thing that distinguishes canon from non-canon in Pokémon is Game Freak's involvement. (Hence the reason why Colosseum/XD aren't canon; Game Freak wasn't involved with either.)

Here's how Bulbapedia defines game canon:

The canon of the core series considers the following:
  • Events occurring in the core series games are the ultimate canon.
  • Player choices such as the hero's gender and starter Pokémon are generally not standardized within the canon, with the exception of Red in the Generation I games and their remakes.
  • In the case of conflicts between versions of a game, the later one such as a third version or remake, supersedes. As such, Pokémon Crystal Version canonically supersedes Pokémon Gold and Silver Versions, while Pokémon Platinum Version is canon instead of its paired counterparts Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions. If equally new versions, such as paired versions, conflict, the canonical one is generally not standardized.
  • Content from games related to the core series is canon unless it conflicts with events in the core series games, while content from unrelated spin-offs is generally non-canon.
  • Canonical material via other forms of media, like animated trailers, manuals or merchandise, may exist depending on each case.
Note the emphasis on "core series." How is a "core series" game defined?

The core series[1][2] of the Pokémon games or core games[3], commonly referred to as the main series by fans, is the game series that is always released on a Nintendo handheld system and developed by Game Freak, which follow the now-standard model of a player's journey through a specific region to catch and raise Pokémon, battle Trainers, earn Badges from Gym Leaders, and defeat the Pokémon League to enter the Hall of Fame there.

How does that NOT describe Yellow? Sure enough, it's listed on the page as a CORE SERIES game, right there with Red and Blue.

Just give it up. I get it, you hate Yellow. (You wouldn't call it a "cheap spin-off" and get so worked up over its canonicity if you didn't, otherwise.) It's still a canon main series game, though, like it or not.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
The sprites were changed to look BETTER.

The sprites were changed to look like the anime, that's not up to debate. As an example:

This a Team Rocket grunt:

Spr_RG_Rocket.png

This is a better looking version of it:

Spr_GS_Rocket_Grunt_M.png

This is Yellow's version (and proof that the concept of the game was to be an adaptation of the anime):

Spr_Y_Jessie_James.png

You mean, Jessie and James? ...They weren't exactly a whole lot like their anime counterparts, you know.

Jessie and James were created for the anime. In the main games, they don't exist at all.

If that's all you can say, then you've clearly lost that argument, LOL. :P

The argument that it's up to debate? No, since you never refuted it in the first place.

But, it's impossible to own all three starters

That's a game mechanism. Red (as presented in G/S) is meant to represent the playerbase, universally (even those who played Yellow). Hence why all the starters are on his team. That doesn't mean his team uses Yellow as a basis. Otherwise why not call him Yellow instead of Red?

The biggest thing that distinguishes canon from non-canon in Pokémon is Game Freak's involvement.

Source? Game Freak never made a statement on what's considered canon or not.

Here's how Bulbapedia defines game canon:

Bulbapedia is a fan made wiki. Not to mention that it provides no source on that specific matter.

How does that NOT describe Yellow? Sure enough, it's listed on the page as a CORE SERIES game, right there with Red and Blue.

See above.

Just give it up.

On what?

I get it, you hate Yellow. (You wouldn't call it a "cheap spin-off" and get so worked up over its canonicity if you didn't, otherwise.) It's still a canon main series game, though, like it or not.

I could care less about canon. You are the one who has a problem admitting the purpose of the Yellow version and can't accept the fact that it was made to adapt the anime.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I could care less about canon. You are the one who has a problem admitting the purpose of the Yellow version and can't accept the fact that it was made to adapt the anime.

Then, why does Yellow's existence as a main series game bother you so much, then? So much that you want to start an argument over it?

I can't help but notice that your signature depicts Red's canon team... But, with Pikachu replaced with Aerodactyl. You obviously dislike Pikachu, so it's no wonder that you're not a fan of Yellow. (Although, you can always BOX the little yellow rat if you don't want to use it, you know.)

The fact that you picked Aerodactyl, of all things, to "replace" Pikachu also suggests that you're an Adventures fan, as that's the only place that I know of where Red owns an Aerodactyl...

... Seems like somebody might be a teensy bit bitter that GF pays more attention to the anime than his favorite non-canon adaptation. (Seriously, it's been almost 20 years, and you can count the number of Adventures references in the games on one hand. Less than a hand, in fact.)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I didn't bother to read the whole thread, but there is one comment I'd like to make: Yellow is not a spin-off. It is an enhanced version of Red/Blue/Green. If you say that Yellow is a spin-off, you'd also have to say that every 3rd version (Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) is also a spin-off. But they're not. A spin-off would be something that uses the franchise as a basis but is wholly different. Examples of Pokemon spin-off games would be stuff like Pokemon Conquest or the Ranger sub-series.

I believe the reason why Yellow features several components of the anime in it is not because it's an adaptation of the anime (the plot and game structure is still very similar to that of R/B/G), but to draw in fans of the anime to the games. Not everyone's first exposure to Pokemon was through the games. Adding anime components into Yellow helps entice fans of the anime into buying the games if they've never played the games before.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I didn't bother to read the whole thread, but there is one comment I'd like to make: Yellow is not a spin-off. It is an enhanced version of Red/Blue/Green. If you say that Yellow is a spin-off, you'd also have to say that every 3rd version (Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) is also a spin-off. But they're not. A spin-off would be something that uses the franchise as a basis but is wholly different. Examples of Pokemon spin-off games would be stuff like Pokemon Conquest or the Ranger sub-series.

I believe the reason why Yellow features several components of the anime in it is not because it's an adaptation of the anime (the plot and game structure is still very similar to that of R/B/G), but to draw in fans of the anime to the games. Not everyone's first exposure to Pokemon was through the games. Adding anime components into Yellow helps entice fans of the anime into buying the games if they've never played the games before.

THANK YOU.

I think many people fail to realize how intertwined the marketing for the games and anime was back in the Pokémania days. Even if the games came first, it wasn't until the anime became a huge success that the "Fad" took off, so it made sense to view the anime as an expansion of the games and treat them as one-in-the-same.

It wasn't uncommon for game-based materials to use anime artwork and treat Red/Blue and Ash/Gary as the same people. Like, the Monopoly and Master Trainer board games, for example. Both were actually based on the games' story (just look at the Gym Leaders' Pokémon on the Monopoly board), yet they used anime artwork for the Pokémon and Ash, Gary, and Jessie/James in place of Red, Blue, and the generic Rocket Grunts. The fact that "Ash" and "Gary" were default names of the PC and Rival in RB only helped this.

Yellow was only a natural extension of this marketing, a main series game that openly embraced the then-popular anime and successfully merged the two together. The end result was a game that enhanced Gen 1's setting and was arguably superior to RB.

Once Gen 3 hit and Pokémania had turned into backlash, the games and anime started to go their separate ways. Ash and Red both got redesigns that made them look more like different characters (same goes for Gary and Blue), and marketing materials based on the games no longer used anime artwork or put Ash and Pikachu on the cover (most blatant in the recent rerelease of Monopoly, which replaced all of the anime art with game art and swapped out Ash, Gary, and Jessie/James for Red, Blue, and generic Rocket Grunts).

While the games still include nods here and there to the anime (like the reference to Alain in ORAS, most recently), they're not as big or as numerous as the references in Yellow... But, that still doesn't make Yellow any less of a main series game.

Reactions: Nah

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I will admit, I have a soft spot for Pokemon FR/LG. It was the first Pokemon game I ever played, I love the thing to death. But I do have to admit it's a more boring version of Pokemon Red and Blue. It would have been a lot better if they kept the day and night cycle and maybe integrated later evolutions like Crobat into the regional Pokedex. It sucked if you had a Golbat that was ready to evolve but couldn't because you didn't have the National Dex yet. The music isn't that bad, what with just being transposed up or down a few keys, but still it could be better. But the game needed more elaboration, especially with the Sevii Isles. There were so many mysterious things there that badly needed more explanation, like Pattern Bush and Altering Cave. (Also Birth Island and Navel Rock. Why were they event exclusive? WHY!? I remember seeing Lugia in the Pokedex you bought in stores for 3rd Gen and it had Navel Rock there and I kept wondering what it was. :( )

Also why don't we have weather? What kind of region doesn't have rain or snow? And finally Pokemon Yellow IS a mainstream game. Gold and Silver have Red with all 3 starters and Pikachu in his team, and you can get all 3 starters in Yellow. Also Pikachu is unevolved, and in Yellow you could not evolve the Pikachu you were given at the start of the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Yellow may be enhanced version of Red/Blue.....however there are aspects of Yellow that tries harder to be a separate entity.

Having all pokemon is a mechanic aspect, not a story aspect. The reason why there are alternate version (version A and B) is to encourage trading between fans and completing the Pokedex, to find which version of Red/Blue/Yellow is canon based on the pokemon that you can capture is iinnacurate and irrelevant.

Also keep in mind that when yellow was made, pokemon 2 was already in the process of being made, (gold/silver). So some of the sprites were definitely able to be carried over.

Also Jessie, James, Meowth, how come we dont see them again? Other things such as Beach House in Route 19 dont appear, not even as a reference.

Blue/Green also doesn't even have eevee, flareon, cvaporeon or jolteon. So how come its valid to apply it to Red for having all starter and pikachu but doesnt even apply to Blue/Green?

Regardless, it wouldnt have hurt to used "some" elements from those games but not all too much. The problem with adding new routes is changing the set routes in Johto region. I definitely wouldve liked to see the companion system. However I will say this, FRLG feels just as entertaining as Red/Blue.....im not a huge fan of those games. I prefer yellow. But I never expected that FRLG would use Yellow. Did I hope for it? But never expected it.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Then, why does Yellow's existence as a main series game bother you so much, then?

What's considered "main series" comes from fandom, not Game Freak. And as a fan, I have the right to state what I consider to be a main game and a spin-off, specially when it fits the description.

You obviously dislike Pikachu,

No, I don't. But nice strawman.

The fact that you picked Aerodactyl, of all things, to "replace" Pikachu also suggests that you're an Adventures fan,

Wrong, again. The reason for why Aerodactyl is in my sig is because it's the only Pokémon that you receive/face, aside from Lapras and Snorlax, that is part of the main quest and doesn't require a choice.

I didn't bother to read the whole thread, but there is one comment I'd like to make: Yellow is not a spin-off. It is an enhanced version of Red/Blue/Green.

No. As I've said before, then enhanced version of Red/Green is Blue, which is what was used as a basis for the international release.

If you say that Yellow is a spin-off, you'd also have to say that every 3rd version (Crystal, Emerald, Platinum) is also a spin-off.

No, I've not. Crystal, Emerald and Platinum are comparable to Blue.

A spin-off would be something that uses the franchise as a basis but is wholly different.

It's different. You don't get to choose a starter of that region and the game was made with the intention to adapt the anime of that same franchise as seen by many of the changes and new features.

I believe the reason why Yellow features several components of the anime in it is not because it's an adaptation of the anime (the plot and game structure is still very similar to that of R/B/G),

That doesn't make it less of an adaptation.

but to draw in fans of the anime to the games.

Exactly. Hence why they used the anime as inspiration. It was the very reason for why they made it in the first place.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Also Jessie, James, Meowth, how come we dont see them again? Other things such as Beach House in Route 19 dont appear, not even as a reference.

As for the TRio, their canonicity is about equal to Lorelei and Agatha's. For whatever reason, they didn't return in GSC, and GF didn't care enough to explain why. Same goes for the Beach House. (It may have been destroyed in the Cinnabar eruption for all we know; there were giant rocks from the eruption blocking the Route 19 path, after all.)

Their absence in FRLG and HGSS doesn't mean anything, as those games take place in a different timeline than RBY and GSC.

Blue/Green also doesn't even have eevee, flareon, cvaporeon or jolteon. So how come its valid to apply it to Red for having all starter and pikachu but doesnt even apply to Blue/Green?

Blue's team is a mystery, yes. The best I can explain is that he boxed some of his team for other Pokémon after they had "failed" him in the final battle against Red. We know that he caught other Pokémon besides just the six he used in Yellow, and it seems like something he would do. (In fact, it's something that he did do with his Fearow and Rattata in that very game, the former disappearing after the Pokémon Tower battle, and the latter after the SS Anne battle.)

What's considered "main series" comes from fandom, not Game Freak. And as a fan, I have the right to state what I consider to be a main game and a spin-off, specially when it fits the description.

And, what makes your opinions any more "fact" than others? Do you work for Game Freak? I see far more people calling Yellow a main series game than a spin-off, and to me, majority rules.

Just admit your bias and move on. You hate the anime, and you hate Pikachu, and it absolutely offends you that GF ever acknowledged either enough to to create a main series "tribute" to both (as opposed to a certain manga that you undoubtedly consider to be a "superior" and "faithful" adaptation, despite it being even more far-off from the games' story than the early anime ever was... there's a reason why the anime took off and Adventures didn't).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
And, what makes your opinions any more "fact" than others?

Who's stated that they are facts? My opinion is supported by actual arguments (and these are based on facts), which you seem to be unable to deal with.

I see far more people calling Yellow a main series game than a spin-off, and to me, majority rules.

That's a fallacy, therefore not a valid argument.

Just admit your bias and move on.

My bias?! You're kidding me, right? Look at your own original post and following comments and try to find the irony.

You hate the anime, and you hate Pikachu,

Another strawman. But hey, when the arguments are lacking...

and it absolutely offends you that GF ever acknowledged either enough to to create a main series "tribute" to both (as opposed to a certain manga that you undoubtedly consider to be a "superior" and "faithful" adaptation, despite it being even more far-off from the games' story than the early anime ever was... there's a reason why the anime took off and Adventures didn't).

Apparently you are unable to have a valid argument and resort to strawmen and ad hominem to try to justify the unjustifiable.

And since you have a problem reading what I post, I'll re-post again, in bold (I can also increase the size, if you still can't read), my previous reply against your baseless accusations:

No, I don't. But nice strawman.

(...)

Wrong, again. The reason for why Aerodactyl is in my sig is because it's the only Pokémon that you receive/face, aside from Lapras and Snorlax, that is part of the main quest and doesn't require a choice.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Luso. Everybody. Calm down. Yellow is the official gen 1 game on which Gold and Silver is based on, and while it DOES include things from the anime it is STILL canon and is STILL the canon gen 1 game, or at least it was before FireRed and LeafGreen retconned it. Now can we just continue talking about how FireRed and LeafGreen could have been better, instead of squabbling over whether Yellow is canon or not?

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Luso. Everybody. Calm down. Yellow is the official gen 1 game on which Gold and Silver is based on, and while it DOES include things from the anime it is STILL canon and is STILL the canon gen 1 game,

Like I said, Game Freak never made any statements regarding "canon" or which version is meant to represent Generation 1 as a whole. It's not even what my argument is about.

Back