• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What went wrong with FRLG?

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    I wouldn't mind these remakes being considered the worst pair. That would mean the sequels just kept getting better and better.

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    Fire red and leaf green did their minimum to be a remake. It stood more of a base for hackers for their roms, and I like that. So whether fire red and leaf green were "good" to you or not, they still made me happy. Even though not in the right intention.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Fire red and leaf green did their minimum to be a remake. It stood more of a base for hackers for their roms, and I like that. So whether fire red and leaf green were "good" to you or not, they still made me happy. Even though not in the right intention.

Well it's a more subdued counterpart to the overfluffed RSE, no doubt.

It's funny that Cinnabar is supposed to be a volcano yet GF decides to add yet another volcano in one of the Sevii Isles.

The Sevii Isles were a nod to the anime, definitely, but they lacked gyms.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Don't flatter yourself. I told you from the get-go that I'm interested in other people's opinions rather than yours, but you didn't get the hint.

Here's mine, then: I don't want to see a Kanto remake/sequel in the foreseeable future. I don't think the series needs it at this point. And no, it's not because of Origins. It exists, but not as a replacement to a game, instead it's just a way to saciate the fans' nostalgia fix. May not be enough for you, but for a lot of people, it is.

Years
  • The P/S split is the single most important breakthrough in the history of Pokémon. It should've been implemented in Ruby and Sapphire already.

That's not so bad. In my TM-less run of FireRed I had to use things like Absorb Vileplume and Electric-less Jolteon for a large part of the game. {XD} The movepools in 3rd gen were still terrible for the most part (big part of why I hate RSE... NOTHING learns good moves in those games). At least I didn't have to use Gloom for long, because Petal Dance is also in Vileplume's learnset as a level-up move.

Though the Jolteon problem was because GF made the asinine mistake of giving Eevee at L25, like in the originals, which meant you skipped the first elemental attack of the Kanto eeveelutions (Water Gun/Thundershock/Ember). In Red and Blue, they all learned the basic elemental attacks at L31, so it was much easier to train them (and Eevee is the only stone evolution where you must use the stone as soon as possible). Flareon was even worse because there are no easily accessible Fire-type TMs in FRLG until late in the game and in a TM-less run you're stuck with Fire Spin until L52 I think. Well, at least Flareon can use Normal-type moves to great effect, unlike the others, but Vaporeon gets Aurora Beam at L36 while Jolteon gets Pin Missile and Flareon gets Fire Spin.

I'm absolutely with you on this one - part of the reason why I find it hard to replay Generation III nowadays is because after getting used to the physical/special split, and games that have a lot more move capabilities, that's why going back to RSE is a drag. Although when I played through Leaf Green recently, I had stuff like Venusaur (who didn't need much beyond Grass-type attacks, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed, which were learned early on), Raticate (Hyper Fang was a good hold-up), Fearow (keep it as a Spearow until Level 25 and get Aerial Ace, followed by Fly at Celadon City), and Wigglytuff (lots of move capabilities and there wasn't much it needed to learn before I evolved it anyway). I think FRLG has much better move selections, including making TMs like Brick Break and Dig a lot easier to get more of.

Back