• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • Do you have a particular favorite part of a fic you've written?
    Either my special birthday chapter (with a songfic that is perhaps the best thing I've ever written) or my recent co-written chapters (both on the other forum, sadly :/ )

Have you ever had dreams at night of what your story should contain next?
    You better believe it. I've had so many ideas come to me during sleep (or during naps in class lol) that I can't fit all of them into my fic. Recently, a dream inspired me to totally rework an entire town my character visited on her journey.

Pokemon Hero

Don't Tread on Me
    Years
  • Hello, I'm new here so I'm saying hi. Actually, I joined a few days ago and posted my story, it's just now that I've decided to post here.

*Shrugs* Might as well answer some questions.

Do you have a particular favorite part of a fic you've written?

So far, I haven't gotten to what will be my favorite part yet. But I have an idea about what it will be. Currently, it has to be in the first chapter.

Yes, that's where I get most of my ideas. During the day, it can be difficult for me to concentrate on stories (especially when you have two giant reports and an HSA coming up in the next few weeks). Most of my ideas come at night, when my mind is much more relaxed and can concentrate on things.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Guys, just so y'all know, me and that horrid modzorz over there are no longer peared.

I found love with the edit button.

She's rather make love to the User CP button, so we must part.

(lul, not rlly)

Yes, actually, that's where I primarily get my ideas. Due to a lack of sleep, Season Champs! is a no go. ;;

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Don't be sad, it took me what, five months to get an eight page chapter, most of which is dialogue and nothing even remotely exciting, finished. You'll write more... SOMEDAY.

Have you ever had dreams of what your story should contain next?

Do daydreams count? I've never really dreamed at night about anything involving Gale... well, there was the one time I dreamed about having a conversation with him and discovered that he's apparently a fan of the manga series "King of Bandits: Jing"- which really wasn't a surprise, because that's where I got the idea for his trenchcoat, and the fact that his partner is, well, a bird. That shoots a lazer beem. Yah.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Time for a new topic:

How do you get the motivation to write your next chapter?

The majority of my motivation comes from the reviews I get, whether they are bad or good. Other than that, it is probably from scenes that I'm just really itching to write.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years
  • Do you have a particular favorite part of a fic you've written?

I absolutely loved writing several scenes in Visions Of Fate, mostly one in Chapter Eleven where Rarutos met Eruri: "I'm meet to please you!" I also enjoyed writing the evolution scene in Chapter Twelve, where Rarutos immediately trips over her own feet.

Have you ever had dreams of what your story should contain next?

Occasionally, but not often. I dreamed the evolution scene, which I had originally planned to be much later (Hearthome Gym), but I moved it after a bit of begging from someone to include an older character named Mark in the story. After that, things just fell into place for the last two chapters as they are.

If I don't have it to begin with, I get it after sitting and staring blankly at the screen for an hour or so.

~Golden

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Have you ever had dreams of what your story should contain next?

Hmm... if yes, then only some ideas that faintly related to dreams, and I can't really recall much on that. I have some weird dreams though - some probably too weird for my story. Certainly not the comedy part methinks. Which is a large part of my story.

Music helps me. Also friends at school which bug me about it... but then school gives me (unfortunately) many reasons to put it on hold. Sometimes it's also the sheer mood of me - sometimes I feel like writing, sometimes not. I just wait it out, or do something else and come back (or just sit and force it out - after a short while my motivation usually comes back).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    As for your "Holy Ra" comment, Astinus.... "REAL CHAPTERS!" "Actually, they're just long lines of text created to ressurect a dead fic and possibly attract some sort of reviewer before the monthly deadline runs out and the fic turns into a zombie again." *totally not going overboard with an Abridged Series reference*
    For some reason, playing a children's card game has caused me to become seriously injured!

Guys, just so y'all know, me and that horrid modzorz over there are no longer peared.

I found love with the edit button.

She's rather make love to the User CP button, so we must part.
    I'm waiting for Jax to come back. The User CP button just isn't doing it for me. =(

Waking up one day and going "Holy beep on a beep sandwich with beep on the side! I haven't written anything in a while!" And then I proceed to pound on the keyboard.

Bay

Years
  • Have you ever had dreams at night of what your story should contain next?

Yes, many times. There's a few scenes from "Nothing, Everything" that I got from my dreams.

Bascially reviews as they motivate me to make the story better. Also, this may sound weird but also sometimes can't wait to hear their reactions on some scenes that I really like. XD

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
    Years
  • How do you get the motivation to write your next chapter?
    Actually, bouncing on the trampoline helps me for some reason. XD; Because of the solitude and lack of distraction, I can get a lot of good ideas (or, at least I think they are :P), which gives me motivation to write. Even without motivation, I can just write without motivation for about a paragraph, which then makes me regain motivation, which is a useful trait I have. :P

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Bascially reviews as they motivate me to make the story better. Also, this may sound weird but also sometimes can't wait to hear their reactions on some scenes that I really like. XD
    *slaps own head* how did I forget that? Also applys for me - the reviews are really big on the motivation part for me. And also get anxious with what people think of certain scenes, as well as everything else in the chapter. :P

ShadowHoundoom

Shade isn't what he seems...
    Years
  • I just got like 4 more chapters of Hellgar in last night's dreams. And about 5 chapters of a new Mystery Dungeon fic. Damn, sleeping rules.

Hehe, usually it's via my dreams, but now I'm kicking myself for not nicknaming my MD Cresselia Elune. +1 wasted opportunity.

Actually, in all seriousness, it's an internal motivation that drives me. I hate leaving things unfinished because I know if I ghost my fanfic, I'll just be haunted by what could have been. Reviews and the thought that others are actually reading my story don't hurt.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011

Reviews do help. Ideas also do--the kind that just hit you when you're in the middle of doing something. For me, it's often walking between classes. I have ten minutes while I'm walking (walking really helps jog your brain and helps you think of ideas) all to myself and I often let my feet go on autopilot and i just think.

But when I'm not really getting any of that, I just have to sit down, buck up, and hope motivation comes to me as I write. It's not easily, but eventually something's gonna give.

Not dreams, no. I think the only thing I'd ever salvage from dreams would maybe be a name or something that occurs, as my dreams, when I remember them, are very story-like. Most of my ideas do come at night when I'm just thinking, however.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Been a while since I posted in here...

I've had a couple of dreams about The Quest for the Legends, but in both of them what was happening in the story in the dream was completely ridiculous and I'd never actually write that in.

It's not really a matter of motivation. I always have motivation to write the next chapter, because I want to finish all those fics of mine; that aside, though, I tend to be more motivated when there's a major plot point in the next chapter that I want to get across, and particularly so if the plot point is connected with something in the previous chapter.

But as I said, the motivation is not the problem. I just can't write until I'm in the right mood to do it.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Ugh...I hope I can post more once school's over...

Whenever I write any sort of fiction the thing I always do is head outside, pace a bit, shoot some baskets, and try to focus on the emotions that the characters will experience. Also, though it makes me look a bit ridiculous, I intentionally try to have my facial expressions match those of my characters', and essentially become them. I think that personally knowing the mood of a scene makes it more authentic when it is written down.

Years
  • Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?

This happens to me all the time.

Take my Chapter 12. I envisioned Legendaries getting trapped in bubble-like force fields like in that Lugia episode of the anime, and the characters running around freeing them. What did it really end up? A Legendary slugfest within a giant force field with characters in a high-speed aerial race to destroy Team Rocket's weaponry.

Chapter 19??? I envisioned Team Rocket trying to capture Lugia in the Whirl Islands, and the main characters having to go stop them. What really happened? Lugia gets the other Legendaries to beat the **** out of the TR hideout, and the main character does something stupid to get Lugia wanting to kill her.

Ooh, how about Chapter 4? I envisioned some weird nighttime battle between the passengers of the S.S. Anne, and Team Rocket (lol, anime ripoff). What I got was the main character skulking around the ship in the dead of night, trying to disarm bombs without being found and shot by TR agents.

~Chibi~

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2009
    Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?

That happens all the time for me, and a recent example is the trainer fic I'm working on now. I already outlined a good chunk of it, but the "good ideas" that came during outlining, I'm finding, are either unnecessary chunks of messy writing and not "good ideas" at all. I originally meant to have it be the very ending of chapter three when the main character would receive his starter. During the rough draft phases, I ended up cutting out two entire chapters (some of them already written), which I don't do too often. One involved a "going away" party, and one was almost all filler at the professor's labaratory/fields.

..........wait, that's not quite what you're asking. I think it fits in, though. I intended for the story to go a different way than it is, but it took control (as it should) and led itself off in a seperate direction.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?
    Not exactly totally different, as when I plan out scenes I tend to roll them around in my head a while and am generally pretty sure of where I want it to go by the time I get to actually writing it. But it happens very frequently for me that some very unexpected developments happen completely spontaneously while I'm writing a chapter that I thought I knew how would go. Many of the best scenes I've written, I think, are such spontaneous scenes; maybe it's just that when I've been planning something word for word for a while, it never quite turns out like I wanted it to.

In most battle scenes I write, I don't know beforehand who will win; I am predisposed towards having somebody in particular win, but I have written battles where the character I thought would win just ended up losing anyway.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years

All the time. I planned the evolution scene to be longer and more involved than it turned out to be. On the other hand, there was the rape scene, which ended up far longer than I had anticipated. And then we have an earlier story, where the original death scene was such a flop that even my beta readers didn't properly understand what I was trying to say and I had to fix up the entire thing.

Good thing I've given up on beta readers now...

~Golden

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?

In the current chapter on my fic, I had only planned for Cyrus, the Team Galactic leader, to only beat down the main characters', Diamond, Dawn, and Pearl, Pokemon. However, I felt that it was too generic. Because of this, I decided that Cyrus's Gliscor should severely damage Diamond's Prinplup and Pearl's Electivire. But ultimately, Gliscor ended up crippling Dawn's Infernape with its Guillotine attack. It was quite satisfying to write, in my opinion. There was blood, bruises, broke bones, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back