• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?

This happens like every second paragraph with me. I've personally only written two fanfics that I'm proud of and am still working on. I rarely think chapters ahead but I do envision what I want to write in the current chapter and just go with the flow. Of course, this doesn't really make interesting writing, but I more often than not proof read like 5-10 times and tend to add/remove content during.

At least that's what I'm doing with my current fanfic.

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
    Years
  • Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?
    Once, and it turned out to be very beneficial for character development. However, most of my scenes are totally planned out in my head. However, I'll often think of how I'll write the scene, and that comes out differently quite a lot.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?

I may have already answered this, but as an addendum I have recently made the decision to swap the orders of a few events, cut out a battle, and change the parameters of another battle. It relates somewhat to rules of logic - the change was made because an event in the storyline should logically take precedence over another.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'm waiting for Jax to come back. The User CP button just isn't doing it for me. =(

Hi. *molests*

(I know you need lovin'. Scythey ran off to be the sub in a BDSM relationship with mewthree.)

Do you have a particular favorite part of a fic you've written?

Oh, definitely. For example:

1. Midsummer Knights, the scene where Viola, in an attempt to get away from a rather large Nidoking, believes it would be a good idea to point in the other direction and go, "LOOK OVER THERE!"

2. Goldfish Funerals. The entire thing was fun to write, but I especially loved writing the part in which Bill completely BSes a funeral (if only because that's probably the most in-character moment I've ever written for him).

3. Faith, the part in which Crowley and Aziraphale discuss what type of alcoholic beverage God prefers. Because God really is a scotch kind of entity it's also the most in-character moment I've ever written for them.

How do you get the motivation to write your next chapter?

Sacrificing a virgin to multiple pagan gods.

Failing that, writing one line and hoping the next would follow. Sometimes, just writing an image gets the rest going. If not, I throw on some music and meditate for awhile. Then get to sacrificing more virgins.

Have you ever planned out a scene in advance only to have it become something totally different when you actually wrote it?

Haha, yes. The infamous chapter ten of my pet fic, for example, which was going to have an epic battle but decided to have a nice chat instead.

And another work-in-progress literally went through at least two revisions per chapter because I didn't like the events of a scene after all.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    XDXDXDXDXD

I never left. I've always been here, though a bit less active because of college finals. But since those are done with, I'm more active. Which means that if you ever feel a breath on the back of your neck as you post, that's me!

Unless I'm in work. Because my boss thinks that I don't need time off. Whoo for six hour days! :D

But, if I can ever finish moving, playing Kingdom Hearts (which takes forever, and it's not because I'm taking notes on Sora's character to write yaoi about him. Oh no), working for six hours a day, sleeping for ten hours a day, and chasing opossums with a stick, then I might get some reviews done.

Yes, TurtleKing, I still haven't forgotten. >.>

Hi. *molests*

(I know you need lovin'. Scythey ran off to be the sub in a BDSM relationship with mewthree.)
    I was wondering where he disappeared off to, since he hasn't bothered me in a few days. Oh well. *molests back*

I need an adult! I need an adult! XD

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • I need an adult! I need an adult! XD

Err... *pulls out ID card* I'm seventeen, does that count?

Oh wait, you need that kind of an adult... *moves back slowly* Er... nevermind then...

Alright, time for THE BIG QUESTION:

What is the single worst fanfiction you've ever read? I'm talking the one that made you scream in agony not so much because of the bad grammar, but because of the inherent badness. We are talking about your personal fanfiction Satan.

For myself... golly, where do I start? I suppose that the single worst fic I've ever read would be this weird Harry Potter story I've lost the link to that was hailed as "the perfect example of a Mary-Sue fanfic". Harry had changed his name to Satan at some point, the ACTUAL Satan showed up and did random stuff, the main character was emo without being psychologically fascinating or entertaining, thus preventing any escape with the "Law of Wiggin", and Draco Malfoy was slobbering over her. And somebody "hacked the account" and posted a chapter of self-parody. And the author said weird things every chapter. The list goes on, but I think you get the point.

Not to mention, it contained no references to children's card games. Dan Green obviously would not have approved.

Bay

Years

ALL THE TIME for my endings. Seriously, I've always plan my endings but then they suddenly changed. O.o For instance, I've already changed the ending of "Nothing, Everything" three times. XD

As for scenes, there's one scene where I orginally was not about to put another clue in Chapter Eight but then instead I added it last minute. ^^;

What is the single worst fanfiction you've ever read? I'm talking the one that made you scream in agony not so much because of the bad grammar, but because of the inherent badness. We are talking about your personal fanfiction Satan.

Well, there's one Lord of the Rings fanfic (read those fics back when LOTR was the craze XD) and there's one story in which an emo chick suddenly comes into Middle Earth and travels with the Fellowship and has a crush on one of the characters (and so seems that character). Before I thought it was a good story but now I think about it that main character is a Mary Sue. XD

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Well, there's one Lord of the Rings fanfic (read those fics back when LOTR was the craze XD)

Although I just reacted quite strongly to the idea of fanfics based on J.R.R. Tolkien's magnum opus, I'll try to express those feelings in as mature and calm a manner as is possible for me: LOTR FANFICS?!?! BLASPHEMY!!!

But seriously, Lord of the Rings fanfiction? I just can't picture that. Tolkien was very particular about how his fantasy universe was portrayed, I imagine that other people writing with his characters would make him very angry.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, what about an overly precocious child? I <i> know </i> you're into them. Don't deny it. ;p

And Kingdom Hearts! *loves the game*
    I love my overly precocious child! *hugs the poor boy then pelts him with fruit snacks*

And it's all his bloody fault that I'm playing Kingdom Hearts again, since there's just something about pairing the two heroes of the two series together. And now you know what one of those random couples is listed on my LJ interests. XD

And XD at the html code.

And XD at me starting four sentences with "and".

But seriously, Lord of the Rings fanfiction? I just can't picture that. Tolkien was very particular about how his fantasy universe was portrayed, I imagine that other people writing with his characters would make him very angry.
    My favorite author is against the idea of fanfiction. He pretty much called those who write it lazy for not being able to come up with original characters, and having to take his characters and write them in situations they wouldn't be in. He was flattered at the idea though. XD

I love the man, really, but he's just an arse sometimes. XD

Err... *pulls out ID card* I'm seventeen, does that count?

Oh wait, you need that kind of an adult... *moves back slowly* Er... nevermind then...
    I don't know what kind of adult I need. I was doing an "I'm being raped!" parody thing, since I recently saw that on Family Guy and it was funny to me. But then again, I am an adult, so... >_>

Oh, and I'm going to turn you into a gay clown, Thesis. You whined about how you didn't get a review for your first chapter of your fic when I had PM'd you a review. So...you're now a gay clown with a creepy voice that'll lose in a child's card game. "Talk to the hand!"

I've read so many that make me want to bang my head against my desk (but I can't because it's tempered glass, and I nearly lost an eye already), but we'll make things easy on everyone.

I scream in agony at Takari fics from Digimon. They make me want to die, and I've only read one good one.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I scream in agony at Takari fics from Digimon. They make me want to die, and I've only read one good one.
    I concur, the fanfics just ruined Digimon. I'm not sure how safe it is to say this in this forum, but I actually liked the Digimon anime more than the Pokemon anime (not the games, though! Nintendo kills Bandai!) The things I liked most about Digimon were how the characters actually had depth, and how the villains were actually competent.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I scream in agony at Takari fics from Digimon. They make me want to die, and I've only read one good one.

Ugh... I personally hate Takari... I like Kavis :).

There was one fic on PC that had a Piplup gang that went out and blew Pokemon heads off and blood everywhere. Blood. Romance. Deeeesiiiire. :\

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • What is the single worst fanfiction you've ever read? I'm talking the one that made you scream in agony not so much because of the bad grammar, but because of the inherent badness. We are talking about your personal fanfiction Satan.
    Celebrian. For the sake of the kids I won't go into what it's about, but it's a Lord of the Rings fanfic that is not only bad and rather repulsive but also agonizingly long and boring at the same time. Don't ask how I got through the whole thing; I have no idea.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • What is the single worst fanfiction you've ever read? I'm talking the one that made you scream in agony not so much because of the bad grammar, but because of the inherent badness. We are talking about your personal fanfiction Satan.

The fic that produced the Exploding Charizard. As in, Stu goes off to save legendary Pokemon that was captured by an apparently heavily incompetent and stereotypical evil team whose dangerous base was guarded by a number of Pokemon that were taken out by a handful of attacks (some of which shouldn't have affected them) from a single Pokemon. Said legendary makes friends with hero, grants wish, and flies off. And the entire thing is nearly unreadable.

That which was probably meant to be delivered in multiple chapters had somehow been crammed into the space of a couple of pages.

Bay said:
    there's one story in which an emo chick suddenly comes into Middle Earth and travels with the Fellowship and has a crush on one of the characters (and so seems that character). Before I thought it was a good story but now I think about it that main character is a Mary Sue. XD

...I think you just described almost all LOTR fanfic that cropped up just after the release of each of the movies. XD

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

BOTH of Mega Champions fics easily fit this category. The first one was a crossover between 10 different animes and legendaries of the Pokeverse. And they all just fought in an SSB type tournament. And that's the plot. Then theres his KH fic, which still remains unlocked because the Other Writing section has no Mod. That fic just jumps around from plot to plot with absolutely no end in sight... thanks for the topic Thesis, I REALLY needed to get that off my chest.

Bay

Years
  • ...I think you just described almost all LOTR fanfic that cropped up just after the release of each of the movies. XD

Yeah, blame the movies. XD Or better yet, blame Orlando Bloom and Sean Bean. ^O^

I admit, I did read a few of LOTR fics where the main character is warp into Middle Earth and travels with them. XD However, most of the LOTR fics I read though are parody ones and a few ones that tries to give a bit more depth on some events not mentioned too much on either the books nor the movies.

Great, now me mentioning of LOTR makes me want to go back and watch the movies again. XD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I concur, the fanfics just ruined Digimon. I'm not sure how safe it is to say this in this forum, but I actually liked the Digimon anime more than the Pokemon anime (not the games, though! Nintendo kills Bandai!) The things I liked most about Digimon were how the characters actually had depth, and how the villains were actually competent.
    Oh, it's safe to say that here since I agree with you. I love the Digimon anime/games/card games. The fans I could do without. XD Like I said, I've only read two really good Digimon fanfics. One, however, I can't recommend. Not for the kiddies, that one is.

Ugh... I personally hate Takari... I like Kavis :).
    Daikari is what it's known as, since for shipping names the Japanese names are used. But I do think that Daisuke and Hikari would have a better relationship than Takeru and Hikari, since they're not all ~perfect~.

There was one fic on PC that had a Piplup gang that went out and blew Pokemon heads off and blood everywhere. Blood. Romance. Deeeesiiiire. :\
    Heh, that was like my first reported fic when I became a mod. After I closed it, the author of that fic PM'd me to say that I was mean and that he hoped to never become a moderator like me. XD

BOTH of Mega Champions fics easily fit this category. The first one was a crossover between 10 different animes and legendaries of the Pokeverse. And they all just fought in an SSB type tournament. And that's the plot. Then theres his KH fic, which still remains unlocked because the Other Writing section has no Mod. That fic just jumps around from plot to plot with absolutely no end in sight... thanks for the topic Thesis, I REALLY needed to get that off my chest.
    The funny thing is that the first part of Mega Champion's KH fic was closed, so he started a new thread and reposted from where the old one was closed. Someone reviewed that fic with some constructive criticism, but the reviewer was jumped on for being rude and the fic remains open to this day.

Oh, and good luck reporting anything in that section. So many things go on in that section that no one cares about. XD

Yeah, blame the movies. XD Or better yet, blame Orlando Bloom and Sean Bean. ^O^
    One of those is the same reason why there's so much bad POTC fic. XD And why I had to suffer through a really dark level that annoyed me in KH2.

Great, now me mentioning of LOTR makes me want to go back and watch the movies again. XD
    Are the other movies as good as the first one? That's the only one that I saw, and all I remember from seeing it is that my mother yelled out in the theater "Wizard fight!" XD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    A few mentioned above... and probably some others that I've made myself forget due to the badness of them. Also seen some which had been chosen by a website which did a 'Sue of the day or so!" thing... including some crazy ones with the Sue getting most of every Poke that Sues tend to get and more, including a 'half-shiny Latios'. Hmm...

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Lo and behold.

Despite popular rumor, and the earnest and thorough efforts of the Finnish army, the forumite formally known as Alter Ego is not lying deceased and decomposing in the middle of one of our majestic forests but is, in fact, quite alive and animate and not quite ready to become compost for the future preservation of the national treasure that is our green gold just yet. He/she/it can also count the number of military weeks remaining on the fingers of a single hand now, which is quite the feat all things said.

To commemorate this extraordinary set of happenstances, a question shall be answered.

Well, thank yew kindly, Gummy; I didn't feel like being the one to call names, but since you brought it up...yeah, The Mega Champion's fics are definitely the incoherent work of Satan. And the sheer length of them. The mere thought of those 100+ chapters of pure inanity and stumbling prose gives me nightmares. x.x Seriously, I'm not exaggerating here; that KH...thing was on chapter 97 when I first looked at it and seems to grow at least a chapter a day. It's a freakin' hydra, I tell you! XP

Of course, matters aren't helped by the fact that the author (and I use the term very loosely in this instance) is not only extremely rude and defensive but also completely incapable of any kind of self-criticism. That section needs some tough moderating love. Really. <.<

Yeah, that was probably the first time I said something mean about a fanfic without feeling guilty about it. Funny what obnoxious authors can cause, huh? :3

I've read a number of other horrible fics too, though thankfully I have long since forgotten their names. One was an OT fic based in Hoenn where - among many other mysterious exploits - the main protagonist defeats Wattson's Manectric with a newly hatched Eevee because (and I quote) the Eevee knew that he loved it very much and used a powerful Return attack. Other highlights of the fic include the ever-awesome main protagonist getting approached with a recruitment offer from team aqua to become an executive at a point where his only claim to fame is defeating Roxanne from which he escapes through a very shadily described and confusing battle which ends with his newly caught Tailow using Sky Attack to KO one of Archie's pokémon.

Yeah, not exactly the most enjoyable fic I've read. There are also the countless poorly written, five-liner OTs with shiny/Eevee (and sometimes shiny Eevee) starters that just get drowned in the masses. The 'legendaries kill lots of pplz!' ones were also pretty depressing.

...and, well, my apologies Scythe-kun, but I must admit that the first edition of Season Champs scared me. It wasn't satanic, but...it was pretty bad, to be honest. Still, you've improved a lot since that so it's all good now, right? *Prepares barricade against any and all eventual counter-attacks* Just try to break it! I dare you! >O

And because I'm feeling naughty, I shall actually post a question of my own as well. :3

What is the weirdest/most crack inspired fic idea you have ever conceived?

Someone here might know mine, but I shan't say it in public...yet. xD

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back