• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotW #100] Pokémon Beryl

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Don't you hate it when 500 ppl, look and about 1 of em comment?
    Well this thread isn't getting as much attention as it deserves in my opinion. Also it might be in your best interest to fix this:
    [HotW #100] Pokémon Beryl

The back of the player's OW has a pointy back with i don't think is rite, prolly u just missed it :/
    But it seriously makes it look like a hunch back... And nice to see you weren't in the mood to eat any veggies this time :P

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Well, This hack is actually really good.
    The story and features make it excellent.
    The titlescreen and bootscreen? Well, AWESOME! I could only expect such a great hack from you.
    Hmm.. what else? Oh yeah, I would personally like to see some nice custom tiles, and not the crummy Fire red ones, but I know that u like the fr ones so.. well..yeah...
    The OW of the statue things are a bit amateur, Compared to your other sprites especcially, u might need to work on them. But I think this hack is pretty amasing! The idea is what makes me wanna play, and that normally doesnt excel me that much but ur features are original and awesome!
    Well done with a great hack!
    8.5/10

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, This hack is actually really good.
    The titlescreen and bootscreen? Well, AWESOME! I could only expect such a great hack from you.
    Hmm.. what else? Oh yeah, I would personally like to see some nice custom tiles, and not the crummy Fire red ones, but I know that u like the fr ones so.. well..yeah...
    The OW of the statue things are a bit amateur, Compared to your other sprites especcially, u might need to work on them. But I think this hack is pretty amasing! The idea is what makes me wanna play, and that normally doesnt excel me that much but ur features are original and awesome!
    8.5/10

Thanks Paranoid. Ermm... I never really liked the FR tiles, but if you want a hack that has all the tiles fitting a style... For now, FR tiles are what we have. So, that is the main reason I want to use them. Not because others are awful, but not enough for the experience.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Don't you hate it when 500 ppl, look and about 1 of em comment?
    Well this thread isn't getting as much attention as it deserves in my opinion. Also it might be in your best interest to fix this:

The back of the player's OW has a pointy back with i don't think is rite, prolly u just missed it :/
    But it seriously makes it look like a hunch back... And nice to see you weren't in the mood to eat any veggies this time :P
    Thanks, you might be right at this point, but I think that we're getting a pretty good portion of attention so far.

That thing that you call a 'hunch-back' is a hood from the jacket... D:
    Well, This hack is actually really good.
    8.5/10
    Thanks for your comments! All are under consideration. Me and Deviation will eventually include new tiles, but we're planning for them to be similar to the 3rd gen ones, in order to the fit to the default sets. There are some general things that we're bound to only change palettes on, though:
    -trees
    -buildings
    -water
    -mountains

Thanks Paranoid. Ermm... I never really liked the FR tiles, but if you want a hack that has all the tiles fitting a style... For now, FR tiles are what we have. So, that is the main reason I want to use them. Not because others are awful, but not enough for the experience.
    I always considered tiles that fit to a gen different from the rom's to be pixelated and wrong. And, putting that aside, both our first projects were sticking to 3rd gen tiles mostly.

Deviation has already implemented some R/S/E tiles into the hack, so by saying "FR/LG style" you guys are wrong.
    Oh right, I understand ;)
    Anyway, Good Luck, I voted for ya in HOTW.
    Okay, uh, thanks I guess :D

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Thanks, you might be right at this point, but I think that we're getting a pretty good portion of attention so far.

That thing that you call a 'hunch-back' is a hood from the jacket... D:

That explains it :P I thought u just missed it :P
    Maybe if he was wearing the hood?
    but that would look to evil

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • That explains it :P I thought u just missed it :P
    Maybe if he was wearing the hood?
    but that would look to evil
    I'm going for a simple yet different style. A hooded guy would look like a rebel to me. Besides, this was co-thought by Deviation, of course.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    And another idea is revealed today.

Most Pokemon games had one - a Pokemon Trainer School. This hack is no different. What is different is how useful it will be. I will not reveal too much about it, just saying that this little brainchild of mine will be an improvement to the past Schools. This school will help teach you various things, and I will be fine tuning the ideas about it in the next few days. Who knows, a small part of it may be in the beta Hope so, gives a hint of what to come!

So... I know it sounds nothin special, but I have major plans for this (who knows, you may think differently of learning things, as knowledge is power!)

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Okay let's kick this off by reviewing this hack. The boot screen scares me, I've no idea why or how; but it does. You can ignore that comment, it's nice but scares me. The title screen really doesn't look like it's from or would be involved in a Pokémon game :(. Something about Oak's intro background palette feels weird to me. It goes [light blue -> purple - > dark blue] maybe a better gradient would be better; like shades of light blue through to shades of dark blue etc. Sorry, but the fakemon are horrible. Don't get me wrong, the sprites are fantastic. But they're just too ugly to be Pokémon. I mean, they look nothing like Pokémon :(. I also dislike your palette changes; the white flower is extremely bright and hurts my eyes. Nothing is wrong with my vision, it's 20-20 actually :D. Nothing much else is wrong with it; except that the palette makes tree shading look horrible :(. I don't really see much else to comment on, the maps are quite nice though. In places I don't like them, but they're promising; I guess. The scripting is pretty neat, nothing special, nothing little. Just in the middle :D. Oh, and I really dislike the constant changing text colours. A person should talk with their one assigned colour, not that and loads of others in the middle of it :(. I've also noticed a few tree shading errors within your maps.

Anyway, review number one done. And also something you've asked me about for a while. :D

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • And another idea is revealed today.

Most Pokemon games had one - a Pokemon Trainer School. This hack is no different. What is different is how useful it will be. I will not reveal too much about it, just saying that this little brainchild of mine will be an improvement to the past Schools. This school will help teach you various things, and I will be fine tuning the ideas about it in the next few days. Who knows, a small part of it may be in the beta Hope so, gives a hint of what to come!

So... I know it sounds nothin special, but I have major plans for this (who knows, you may think differently of learning things, as knowledge is power!)
    Way to go, Man of Action.
    Okay let's kick this off by reviewing this hack. The boot screen scares me, I've no idea why or how; but it does. You can ignore that comment, it's nice but scares me. The title screen really doesn't look like it's from or would be involved in a Pokémon game :(. Something about Oak's intro background palette feels weird to me. It goes [light blue -> purple - > dark blue] maybe a better gradient would be better; like shades of light blue through to shades of dark blue etc. Sorry, but the fakemon are horrible. Don't get me wrong, the sprites are fantastic. But they're just too ugly to be Pokémon. I mean, they look nothing like Pokémon :(. I also dislike your palette changes; the white flower is extremely bright and hurts my eyes. Nothing is wrong with my vision, it's 20-20 actually :D. Nothing much else is wrong with it; except that the palette makes tree shading look horrible :(. I don't really see much else to comment on, the maps are quite nice though. In places I don't like them, but they're promising; I guess. The scripting is pretty neat, nothing special, nothing little. Just in the middle :D. Oh, and I really dislike the constant changing text colours. A person should talk with their one assigned colour, not that and loads of others in the middle of it :(. I've also noticed a few tree shading errors within your maps.

Anyway, review number one done. And also something you've asked me about for a while. :D
    Thank, thank you.
    Let's counter-view then:

• The bootscreen and tittlescreen are subject to change. Not because you said it, but it was planned some days ago. :P
    • The intro palette was changed a lot of times, I just bothered to only post the first change. you will see the current one soon enough, along with intro sprites.
    • I feel sorry for you, the fakemon are on my personal style, and won't change. They might only be improved as sprites. The concepts remain. D:
    • The tree shading was fixed a little, but I was going for that horror exactly.
    • THE DAISIES SHALL REMAIN INTACT THOUGH. MKAY D:
    • yeah, okay, about the text colours, they have been decided, and here they are:
      • Blue/Red: people's gender
      • Black: clarification info, generic, signpost
      • Green: Berry/Treasure chests, Dextroy talking.
      • NavyBlue: Locations
      • Orange: Pokemon and items
      • DarkNavyBlue: Inner thoughts
    • The shading errors were fixed the same day, still won't to re-post. D:
    Thanks for everything. Nowz...

Schmal Apdeit

The female OW is here!

Ever been to a catacomb? well, if you haven't, you will in this hack!

Metallic roof Gym of Bluegem City Gym, new ows for the flight path.

What does the sign say? can you figure it out? And what about that table-thing with the pink orb? P.S: cool new blue chimney.

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
    Years
  • I have to start off by saying congrats on winning the HotW #100! To be perfectly honest, this whole changing hacks every month or so was kind of discouraging, but I think you'll stick to this one to the end. ^_^ Now, let's get down to it shall we?

The title screen is odd...kind of reminds me of that Piranha plant thing from Mushroom Kingdom lol. Nice work on that fakemon, it adds some originality I guess. That gray text is rather annoying to read. It's a light color on a white background. The mapping to me looks nintendo-styled. Nothing crazy, just simple maps. Also, I like pie.

I guess that's all I really can review... I will give you a ton more suggestions when you release your alpha so the next one is better. :)

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Side step, progress report: Route 1002. The alpha is now 35% complete.

Be wary, folks, my next post here will be teh uber first official update! with 'easter' eggs, lots of explanatons about the gameplay, and more! be there!

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    This is looking fantastic. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Now, people, please give us any thoughts or criticisms about anything. Question us about what we have mentioned. Despite wanting to keep some aspects secret, we want to be able to improve things that we have made public. So, any improvements, any at all would be a great gift.

Oh, also, if I haven't mentioned it already, I We are improving the Pokemon Schools that were in the various Pokemon Games (I am in charge of most of the theory work). Expect 1 School System to be imitated as best as possible, as a little bonus!

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Awesome A School!
    My hack has a school, although I do doubt that urs is for Team galactic grunts..
    back to topic: I cant wait for this 'Big update' of yours guys! Keep it up and gd luck!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Awesome A School!
    My hack has a school, although I do doubt that urs is for Team galactic grunts..
    back to topic: I cant wait for this 'Big update' of yours guys! Keep it up and gd luck!

It isn't like yours, no way. I love my little concept of this school though, as I think no one has used it yet...

Anyway, just thought I'd say the school IS NOT going to be in the first beta. It isn't that important to the story, and... Hopefully, I might do some parts of it myself (however, I would list what I could do in it, but ruins it really... Well, tiles and maps seem obvious)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Your storyline sounds amazing. It's just got that strange but sexy appeal. Your titlescreen looks epic too. However, I think it would like nicer if you change the small grass and the grass path. Also, it was a little bolder shade of green, it would look a lot better. :3

Good luck with this!

Back