• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
  • And then we have Scyther's Story and The Fall of a Leader

What about Scyther's Stories, lots of blood/gore in those.

Yeah...about that...

Anyways. What is the most gruesome thing you have ever written?

I don't really do gruesome scenes. My readers don't need to know how much blood is spraying everywhere or visualize the contents of people's freshly-slit stomachs. I have plenty of epic battles, and there is blood, but it isn't horrendous and disturbingly graphic unless it serves some purpose. Which it usually doesn't.

I do have one intense scene in Mastermind where Mewtwo describes having her spinal cord cut in great detail. It isn't really gruesome, though: she only briefly mentions that she can feel blood dripping down her back.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Hey, out of curiosity, I know we're two months ahead, but is anyone planning on sacrificing their souls to the gods of chaos doing NaNoWriMo this year?

I had to google it just to find out what it was X_X

Probably not, I work full time, and I only write for fun.

What is the most gruesome thing you have ever written?

None yet, but one chapter in my fic will be rated R, for violence.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • What is the most gruesome thing you have ever written?

There was this one one-shot I wrote that had a bannete strangling a person. I then described the dead body in a horrible way.

The fic sucked. It didn't get any reviews. I want to forget about it :/

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016

There was this one one-shot I wrote that had a bannete strangling a person. I then described the dead body in a horrible way.

The fic sucked. It didn't get any reviews. I want to forget about it :/

I know what you mean. There are a few reasons I walk away from a fic.

1.Obvious quality lack(normally after telling them they need to improve)
    2.Extremely short stories(which are normally of bad quality)
    3.The story is too gruesome or unbelievable to continue
    4.The person has murdered the english language, a Pokemon character with no believability and/or the laws of physics.

Already walked away once today.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • I think it was the first. I tried to give the fic a mystery horror appeal but failed.

Oh well, I'm thinking of rewriting it someday.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'd hate to be an argumentative ***** (again), but...

2.Extremely short stories(which are normally of bad quality)

Depends on the story. If it's a one-shot or drabble (the latter literally being only 100 words, no more and no less), then those are typically short but of varying quality. For example, you liked "Selling Everything," but that's only a page long and less than 500 words. Extremely short by my definition.

If chapters are like that, I'd only say sometimes even then. There are such things as chapters that are only a page or two in length. Or even less. Stephen King once wrote a chapter that was seriously only a sentence. Of course, not all of the chapters were like that, but still.

So, really, I'd say look more at the quality itself more than the length. If the chapter is short, unfinished, and raping the English language, then you've got something there.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
    Years
  • Hey, out of curiosity, I know we're two months ahead, but is anyone planning on sacrificing their souls to the gods of chaos doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Ah... no. XD; Deadlines and my creativity are still seemingly unwilling to play nice, I'm afraid. X3

Depends on the individual reader, I reckon. X3 As for what I personally consider to be the most gruesome thing I've ever written, that'd be what happened to that Hoothoot in The Origin of Storms.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    Depends on the story. If it's a one-shot or drabble (the latter literally being only 100 words, no more and no less), then those are typically short but of varying quality. For example, you liked "Selling Everything," but that's only a page long and less than 500 words. Extremely short by my definition.

If chapters are like that, I'd only say sometimes even then. There are such things as chapters that are only a page or two in length. Or even less. Stephen King once wrote a chapter that was seriously only a sentence. Of course, not all of the chapters were like that, but still.

So, really, I'd say look more at the quality itself more than the length. If the chapter is short, unfinished, and raping the English language, then you've got something there.

I understand what your saying. Yours was short, but not my definition of short.
    If you can scroll down and see the signature pretty close, or already see the signature without scrolling, it is way too short.

If I seem angry it is just because I am mad at a teacher who never makes sense. She tells us one thing(4 times!) and then expects something else(the 5th time of asking by one person - She couldn't think to be nice enough the first time around! *death stare*)

Pretty much she gave the whole class a minus ten(expect one guy) just because she couldn't explain things properly!
    It was supposed to be worth one point, and then because we didn't follow her chicken scratch that sounds like a baby, she makes it worth more, and only the guy who had to ask 5 TIMES gets the correct answer (we were stupid and only asked 4 -_- Can a teacher get an stupider?)

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • I've read a great fic that was about six lines long. :/ It can be done well for effect in certain cases - most fanfiction authors couldn't handle it to save their lives, of course, but it can be done.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • I've read a great fic that was about six lines long. :/ It can be done well for effect in certain cases - most fanfiction authors couldn't handle it to save their lives, of course, but it can be done.
    Although I rarely resort to using memes in forum speech due to the inherent lack of professionalism associated with memes, I feel that in this case it would be appropriate to say, O RLY?

Seriously, the only six-line fics I've seen were insults to the fandom and the internet itself. However, if you could provide a link to said great six line fic, I'd gladly retract that statement.

The above statement has been gladly retracted. Sorry about the skepticism, it's my nature. -_-;

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I understand what your saying. Yours was short, but not my definition of short.
    If you can scroll down and see the signature pretty close, or already see the signature without scrolling, it is way too short.

Although I rarely resort to using memes in forum speech due to the inherent lack of professionalism associated with memes, I feel that in this case it would be appropriate to say, O RLY?

Seriously, the only six-line fics I've seen were insults to the fandom and the internet itself. However, if you could provide a link to said great six line fic, I'd gladly retract that statement.

While this isn't what Dragonfree's read (I'm sure), I'd still like to say that it's possible to have short fics and still be decent. Or, at least, you can be the judge when it comes to my drabbles. (Drabbles, as I've said before, are pieces with exactly 100 words. This is a challenge in itself, which means you need some semblance of skill anyway.)

On a non-egotistical level, my friend wrote a bunch too, and I don't think they're half bad.

And for another example that isn't trying to be a drabble, have another one I did.

Length =/= quality. In this fandom, they sometimes go hand in hand, but just because something's short doesn't mean it can't be good (or decent, for that matter).

Edit: Oops. Unlocked those entries. Sorry about that.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Hemingway wrote a story in six words, and called it his best literary work. Sure, it's Hemingway, so you can think what you want about him, but he wrote a story in six words that wasn't crap.

One of the best Kingdom Hearts fanfics I've ever read was only a paragraph long.

All short fics aren't crap. Just like all long fics are awesome literature.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    Hemingway wrote a story in six words, and called it his best literary work. Sure, it's Hemingway, so you can think what you want about him, but he wrote a story in six words that wasn't crap.

One of the best Kingdom Hearts fanfics I've ever read was only a paragraph long.

All short fics aren't crap. Just like all long fics are awesome literature.

What were his 6 words?

I liked Jax's examples, especially hers. Sure I didn't get the whole understanding of a few, but it is difficult to manage in only 100 words. I'd say she did pretty darn good. I loved the Alice in Wonderland one ^^

I never said they were crap, but here, very few are drabbles, very few are not beginners.

Good writers who write short anything are never shunned in my book. But newb/noobs/beginners who do that, I just have to ignore sometimes.

Bay

Years
  • Talk about drabbles makes me want to do one for this month's FFC. XD Anyways though, drabbles are fun to write and read sometimes, as long as they're decent.

Hemingway? He's my favorite author, actually. ^^

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    What were his 6 words?
    "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."*

Here, have another that a fanfic writer wrote: "She knew he'd succeed.

He didn't."

I never said they were crap, but here, very few are drabbles, very few are not beginners.
    That's here. I'll admit that if I want to read some good fanfics, I'm not going to say "Well, I could go to this drabble community that has good fanfics... Or I could go to PC and pull my hair out."

Just because you don't see it here, you can't make sweeping generalizations about an entire writing form. I mean, it would be like saying "All OT fanfics suck. End of" when the greater part of the good OT fanfics are on other sites. They're out there.

Good writers who write short anything are never shunned in my book. But newb/noobs/beginners who do that, I just have to ignore sometimes.
    So if I had started of my fanfic posting with a drabble/really short story, you would just ignore my fic, even if it was a good story. But if Jax (*waves*) had posted the exact same story, you would read it.

Yeup. Makes sense.

Perhaps I'm just being overly prick-ish about this all, but I'm trying to understand the whole "beginners automatically suck". That might not be what you're implying, but we just got done arguing over what is a "n00b" and how they differ from a "newbie/beginner". When you lump the both together, I'm going to get *****y. You can't really lump them together.

That's where my problem lies. If you had just said "bad quality fics that are short, I'll ignore", then I would be like "OK. That makes sense." But you said "newbs/noobs/beginners who write short fics, I'll ignore them." And I'm like... What.

Not all beginning writers are horrible. Not all young writers are horrible. I will admit that when I started writing, my fics sucked. But I didn't start posting until earlier this year, which would still make me look like a beginner to people who didn't know me. (Especially if I posted on a forum that I just joined, where no one knows me.) I'm a good writer. But on that forum where no one knows me, I'm just a beginner.

I hate generalizations.

What I'm wondering is whether printing those six words on the forum would qualify as copyright violation or not. I think two letters might be an acceptable size for an excerpt without giving away too much of the story.
    I know. Isn't it a shame that I'm taking away from Hemingway's estate by reproducing his story online on a Pokemon forum? I wish I could take the time to write to whoever watches over his work/copyrights and ask permission to post it. But I'll add a special disclaimer to my post.

*I'M SORRY, ERNEST, FOR USING YOUR SIX WORDS AS A LEARNING TOOL WITHOUT YOUR EXPRESS PERMISSION! PLEASE DON'T HAUNT ME IN MY SLEEP/WAKING HOURS! HAUNT THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO'VE DONE IT AS WELL!

XD

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • I think pretty much the reason why people have this mindset that "beginners automatically sucks" is because of expectations. Usually an established writer (definition of that might differ from person to person, but to me it means the writer being in the fanfic community for a bit already and has written a couple pieces and such) would have reviews filled with gushing praise while a beginner writer wouldn't get very much reviews, even if the writing is decent or perphaps even better. I admit, I hadn't really reviewed much new work here because I'm quite busy with many things, but there might be times I wished I could look at the works from the new authors.

Heh, I remember when a few of us were nervous because we had no mod and that many less than quality fics will appear. On the noob/newbie thing, I too think the reason for the mindset is of expectations. We thought that newbie writer would eventually just lash out at our reviews and thus why noob/newbie seems to be interchangable. In the end though, I too agree both noob and newbie are different.

Meh, just my two cents on this ordeal over the quality of short stories and the noob/newbie confusion.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Blue Angel, regarding your argument that all short fan fics aren't worth reading, I would just like to point out that you need to look up the definition of quality over quantity.

Generalizations are funny.

Well, there was the unedited and uncensored version of the Toxic attack on David Rain, in which he ended up collapsing and watching his intestines spill out onto the floor and then there was the scene where Giovanni shot Professor Oak in the head with a gun. Thinking about it, the scene that really takes the biscuit is when Serenity is tied to a chair and there are deceased, mutated and decapitated Pokémon on her lap.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    Just because you don't see it here, you can't make sweeping generalizations about an entire writing form. I mean, it would be like saying "All OT fanfics suck. End of" when the greater part of the good OT fanfics are on other sites. They're out there.

So if I had started of my fanfic posting with a drabble/really short story, you would just ignore my fic, even if it was a good story. But if Jax (*waves*) had posted the exact same story, you would read it.

Yeup. Makes sense.

Perhaps I'm just being overly prick-ish about this all, but I'm trying to understand the whole "beginners automatically suck". That might not be what you're implying, but we just got done arguing over what is a "n00b" and how they differ from a "newbie/beginner". When you lump the both together, I'm going to get *****y. You can't really lump them together.

That's where my problem lies. If you had just said "bad quality fics that are short, I'll ignore", then I would be like "OK. That makes sense." But you said "newbs/noobs/beginners who write short fics, I'll ignore them." And I'm like... What.

Not all beginning writers are horrible. Not all young writers are horrible. I will admit that when I started writing, my fics sucked. But I didn't start posting until earlier this year, which would still make me look like a beginner to people who didn't know me. (Especially if I posted on a forum that I just joined, where no one knows me.) I'm a good writer. But on that forum where no one knows me, I'm just a beginner.

I hate generalizations.

I'll just say that I only think that beginner trainers here are not all great. I give each site a new chance, like a fresh slate. I only know from experience here about 1/10 beginner trainers have a good to excellent story. Most of which you can tell EXTREMELY easily.

You see me in the way you think I am responding to a certain group. It's based on experience, but I give almost all fics a fighting chance. If they obviously didn't work for it, I don't work for it either.

Think of it this way: Out of 100 beginning trainers, there were 5 Excellent Fics, and 10 Good Fics, and 85 bad fics. Would you be encouraged to read all 100 just to find those diamonds in the rough? Even on your worst day? No, I highly doubt you would.

I'm not saying that is the exact rate of good and bads, but that is what it often feels like. Beginners often:
    Never read the rules,
    Write in the reply box,
    Don't set it through a Word processor,
    Don't reach the page requirement,
    Don't use good spelling,
    Don't use good grammar,
    They all seem lazy and make us do the hard work.

There are some that break this code of stupidty, which I feel a lot more likely to read. Take "Until My Final Hour"
    It was from a beginner, but I could tell from the length, from so many other things, at a glance. I could tell he wasn't your average beginner, and I started reading it right then and there.

Some DESERVE reviews, because of the obvious effort they put into it. Some DON't deserve it, for being to lazy, not willing to use the rules as their story guidelines, not willing to check their mistakes, not willing to listen. The list goes on Astinus.

I'm saying, for the most part, I can pick which to ignore, which to help, and which to read right away. Happened with "Until My Final Hour" twice. That is quality you rarely get from a beginner.

No, if there were drabbles here, I would read them, because my definition of short has to do with CHAPTER length or PROLOGUE length, not drabbles or short stories/one-shots. Drabbles are naturally short, and easy to read.

Drabbles have deep meaning, but a Trainer who throws all their ideas into a paragraph that doesn't make an ounce of sense doesn't encourage anyone to read it.

I make a simple statement and you pull out the guns and start shooting at my feet. Not that I mind dancing :p

I think pretty much the reason why people have this mindset that "beginners automatically sucks" is because of expectations. Usually an established writer (definition of that might differ from person to person, but to me it means the writer being in the fanfic community for a bit already and has written a couple pieces and such) would have reviews filled with gushing praise while a beginner writer wouldn't get very much reviews, even if the writing is decent or perphaps even better. I admit, I hadn't really reviewed much new work here because I'm quite busy with many things, but there might be times I wished I could look at the works from the new authors.

Heh, I remember when a few of us were nervous because we had no mod and that many less than quality fics will appear. On the noob/newbie thing, I too think the reason for the mindset is of expectations. We thought that newbie writer would eventually just lash out at our reviews and thus why noob/newbie seems to be interchangable. In the end though, I too agree both noob and newbie are different.

Meh, just my two cents on this ordeal over the quality of short stories and the noob/newbie confusion.

Thank you Bay. That is sort of my few on it. Any new writer has to surpass all other beginners who have given a bad name. It doesn't mean that all are automatically bad. Just MOST. Doesn't mean I don't look at them all. I'm good at glancing and seeing if the story has potential, or if they started off on the wrong foot by making many errors, any type(rules, grammar, spelling). Some I ignore on a bad day, some I help.

Blue Angel, regarding your argument that all short fan fics aren't worth reading, I would just like to point out that you need to look up the definition of quality over quantity.

Generalizations are funny.

I know this, thanks -_-
    Only Bay seems to get the true picture here. I never said ALL short fics are automatically crap, but most are. If you look at most of the locked threads, a huge amount of them are due to length.

Drabbles are an excellent example. Drabbles obviously have depth, because you are trying to make the reader understand something in only 100 words. That takes effort. Those are worth reading.

Writers who don't have any effort are normally beginner trainers with short stories of bad quality.

I'm all for short stories with GOOD quality. If you guys have one from a beginner trainer that is short and Good quality, I'll gladly read it.

As a beginner grows, they gain knowledge, which is why I like reading the works of more experienced writers.

I think that covers it.

Bay

Years
  • Blue Angel, I pretty much want to give a reason as to why maybe some of us think this and that, trying to have both sides in. ^^ There's a couple things though I'm iffy about.

Hm, I understand what you mean by not many of us are going to read a hundred beginner fics to try to find that one real gem. However, I won't just base the experiences here. There's like thousands of other forums and sites you can go to read Pokemon fics (although I understand not many people would want to join a thousand forums either). Just saying though you can't just base your experiences at PC here. I'll say I've joined quite a few forums and read many Pokemon fanfics and got a feel how their community works and such.

I'm not saying that is the exact rate of good and bads, but that is what it often feels like. Beginners often:
    Never read the rules,
    Write in the reply box,
    Don't set it through a Word processor,
    Don't reach the page requirement,
    Don't use good spelling,
    Don't use good grammar,
    They all seem lazy and make us do the hard work.

There are some that break this code of stupidty, which I feel a lot more likely to read. Take "Until My Final Hour"
    It was from a beginner, but I could tell from the length, from so many other things, at a glance. I could tell he wasn't your average beginner, and I started reading it right then and there.
    While could be true beginners might just first post their fic in the reply box and such, that doesn't mean you can lash at them for that. Perphaps they will learn from their mistakes and improve. Also, um...sorry to beat a dead horse, but you can't just judge a story by length. While true sometimes length is good (the writer might put good description, emotions, and such), in the end you have to look at quality. A fic with a shorter chapter might have more emotions and good description better than a longer chaptered fic with unnecessary description and not much emotions.

Some DESERVE reviews, because of the obvious effort they put into it. Some DON't deserve it, for being to lazy, not willing to use the rules as their story guidelines, not willing to check their mistakes, not willing to listen. The list goes on Astinus.
    I believe all fics deserved reviews, whether they're well written or not. Part of reviewing is to help a writer improve, not just saying, "Great job! Love this!" I remember posting my first fic and I got advice on how to improve. Now today I'm a much better writer now than before.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back