• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
  • How do you keep yourself motivated enough to write chapters of your Fan Fiction?

Usually music or reading something else. Music as that pumps me up sometimes whenever I write and reading something else (novel or fanfic) as that would give me inspiration.

POKEMON_MASTER_0

caffeine 1mg/mL, 240 mL po q4h prn fatigue
    Years
  • How do you keep yourself motivated enough to write chapters of your Fan Fiction?

I read reviews that I've gotten from previous chapters. Just knowing that someone is into the story motivates me to write the next chapter. If they're interested in the story, I want to give them more of it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    How do you keep yourself motivated enough to write chapters of your Fan Fiction?
    Didn't we just have this question a few pages ago? I could swear that this was just asked recently. If not, then it's been asked many times before.

Because I seriously remember answering: I keep motivated by imaging my characters wanting to kill me for not writing. Aside from that, nothing really works on keeping me motivated to keep poking at my fic. I just do a little bit each day.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Music, and the fact that people are enjoying reading it. And my characters, too. I'm sure if she was real, Lisa would KILL me for ending my fic early. Oh, and the fact that I've only got 1.5 scenes to write then I'll be all done with it XD

Yay! Asty's back! Oh, I can die happy now XD

And no, I didn't fall off the face of the earth (Yeah, I know you're disappointed XD). I just was up to my neck in part-time job applications. Unfortunately, extolling the virtues of RickRolling in the FFL doesn't pay the student loans:/

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • Shrike Flamestar said:
    And let me just say that from what I've seen of that guy in the first fic Poke Poke posted, he is a n00b, a classic example of one too.

Shrike Flamestar said:
    I said that too, about newbs. For me the differentiation between newbs and n00bs is quite important. Newbs = beginning authors who lack skill but can improve in time. n00bs = any author at any stage of their writing who lacks skill and the will to improve as they think they are already good when they are in fact not.

By your definition, I think I am a great writer who feels that he doesn't have the need to improve.

Do you even know me? I scrapped my first fic after seeing how horrible it was. I know that even my second fic isn't all that great but I'm working on trying to improve it. I may be knew to writing but that doesn't mean I'm not trying. I accept any review whole-heartedly.

And you're also saying that my old fic had n00b reviewers? It had one, get that, one reviewer. The others were purple_drake and Yami Ryu. If you're talking about my second fic, I'd like you see you call Air Dragon a n00b on his face.

Seriously, get to know a person before you accuse him of being a n00b.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Wait wait wait wait wait...wut? I never called you a n00b! I was talking about that Nick guy, not you! The whole thing is that he was calling you perfect and all that and refusing to improve because he views himself as good enough already when he's not!

God, this whole thing has made me feel like crap. I've got like this whole forum after my head now it seems because somehow I managed to insult everyone without meaning too. This is why I rarely post on forums, because I'm so worried about people not liking me due to my views on stuff and how I say things.

I didn't mean for any of my comments to be taken as offensive to anyone (except maybe n00bs, but there aren't any here in this lounge anyways), so can everyone just settle down? I'm sorry for anything I've said that may have offended anyone so can you all just please drop it and move onto something else?

How do you keep yourself motivated enough to write chapters of your Fan Fiction?
    I, uh...don't? I am in the procrastinator's club after all. <_<

Edit: Something else I want to add that I didn't think of when I first posted this (I was planning on replying again tomorrow, but Poke Poke sort of forced my hand), and I don't want to make another post.

Maybe I did jump the gun on calling you an optimist, Jax, but what I really meant is that you put more faith in people than I do. As I said, I'm a pessimistic cynic. I don't put much faith in people until they can prove otherwise to me. That leads me to assuming that someone is a n00b unless they can prove themselves as just a newb (which really doesn't take much. Usually, writing coherently is good enough for me), and lacking faith in the ability for those n00bs to actually improve (if they do than that's a sign that they're actually a newb). Meanwhile, you seem to have much more faith in people than I do, which is what I was really going for there. If it's not obvious enough I tend to say things weird, which can lead to...well, this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Woah. Wait a minute.

Shrike wasn't implying a thing about you. He was actually defending you in the two threads that you posted. Shrike felt that you were right in thinking that one of those members was a n00b.

Nowhere did he say that you, Poke poke, was the "n00b" in question. The first quote of Shrike's you have is talking about the member who posted the fic in the first link you have. The second quote of Shrike's is just the definitions of newb/n00b that he follows in his forum life.

He never specified you in those quotes as you being the "n00b". You were the one to see yourself in that situation. You thought that he was talking about you, and frankly, I don't see where you got that from. Shrike never talks badly about anyone he doesn't know.

But seriously, he didn't say a thing against your character/skill as a writer because he doesn't know you as a person that well, or as a fanfic writer. That's why I'm wondering why you're getting defensive over nothing, because as I said, there was no mentioning of you in a negative way in those quotes of his.

And Shrike posted while I was writing this. But please, let's move on. I don't want to see my baby home to so much negativity.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • God, this whole thing has made me feel like crap. I've got like this whole forum after my head now it seems because somehow I managed to insult everyone without meaning too. This is why I rarely post on forums, because I'm so worried about people not liking me due to my views on stuff and how I say things.

I know exactly how you feel.

I think about a scene that I want to write, something that will be fun to write. then I tell my self I am not going to write it until I get there in the story line.
    Usually works, but if not, i have to wait until I am in the right mood.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • Oh ****!

I know. I though I'd deleted the post.

God, I am sorry. I thought that was what you said at first then I realised and deleted it, or at lease, I though I deleted it.

I sorry about that.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Eh, I'm willing to drop it. No offense taken, so don't worry about it. Sorry about my own tone.

Ahhahaha. Midsummer Knights' next chapter is how many months overdue?

Seriously, all I can say is try to keep thinking about what it is you want to do. If you keep popping out awesome ideas for that one fic at the speed of light, then you'll probably find it's easier to write then.

Or, alternatively, remove as many distractions (other projects, the internet, shiny objects) as possible until you're finished.

But I should be talking, considering I'm Ms. Procrastinator McProcrastinatorpants.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

This topic has been done to death. I swear I answered it a couple of days ago.

I lock myself in a room with my laptop. The room must be empty so nothing can distract me. The laptop must not have internet access. There cannot be any files on my laptop other than the one I am working on.

If I don't have the time for that, I usually tell everyone I'm procrastinating. Haha, the funny thing is that I expected to have Operation Main Frame completely finished by now.

Years
  • Sorry if this question has been done, or I'm posting in the wrong place (I usually do without realising) but I want to start writing a pokemon fic myself, but I've realised I know barely anything about it. Are there any places/things you guys and girls would recommend I look at so that I know a bit more before I start writing?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Actually, at first, I thought that post was referring to poke poke myself. Then I reread it a couple times and figured out it wasn't. It was worded a little strangely.

I try to enjoy my writing, so that it doesn't feel like a chore. This succeeds sometimes, but not all the time.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    I want to write my fics because I want to get to the end. Quitting would be rendering all my work thus far void. (Hence why the only fics I've ever put on serious hold were only one, two, three chapters in.) Even if it can take me a while to write my chapters, I will write them and I will end up finishing the story.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Sorry if this question has been done, or I'm posting in the wrong place (I usually do without realising) but I want to start writing a pokemon fic myself, but I've realised I know barely anything about it. Are there any places/things you guys and girls would recommend I look at so that I know a bit more before I start writing?
    Play the game? Watch the show? Find an online Pokedex?

XD If that's not what you mean, then I'm sorry. It just sounds like you're asking how to find information on Pokemon so you can write a fic.

Years
  • Play the game? Watch the show? Find an online Pokedex?

XD If that's not what you mean, then I'm sorry. It just sounds like you're asking how to find information on Pokemon so you can write a fic.

yeah that was what I orginially meant, but thanks for the stuff anyway, everything always helps

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I may be a bit late but I like what you guys did with the Beta place. I'd sign up for a plot beta but unfortunately I don't have enough examples >_> (yes, that's right, I can't find two measly examples)

It is very hard for me to get motivated as some of you might know. My old method of just re-reading reviews doesn't seem to work anymore, so now I just re-read my chapters until it hits me that the fic actually has some potential.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I may be a bit late but I like what you guys did with the Beta place. I'd sign up for a plot beta but unfortunately I don't have enough examples >_> (yes, that's right, I can't find two measly examples)
    You could go through my fanfics, and then you'd have the two examples you need! XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back