• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which starters, in your opinion, is the best?

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
Years
  • In my opinion Froakie (especially Greninja) is the best starter. I know it's all opinion-based, but for me he was. I got him through wonder trade as a froakie, and he ended up winning 5/6 League battles for me. Only the water type E4 wasnt for him since he isn't too powerful against other water types with my moveset..

Years
  • I think it really depends on your play style, Although fennekin sounds the most appealing being psychic/fire it is however, in my opinion, weak and needs more strategy so it would be best for an experienced pokemon player. Chespin is the most visually appealing but it has a massive weakness with flying types so that needs to be taken into consideration - best for mid-level trainers who would like a bit of a challenge. This best choice is Froakie as it is strong and has a diverse move pool - this choice is best for the new pokemon player, however, I chose this one and I've been playing pokemon for a long time. However, all of this is just my opinion and I would love some feedback :) Am I right or wrong? ;)

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
  • I think it really depends on your play style, Although fennekin sounds the most appealing being psychic/fire it is however, in my opinion, weak and needs more strategy so it would be best for an experienced pokemon player. Chespin is the most visually appealing but it has a massive weakness with flying types so that needs to be taken into consideration - best for mid-level trainers who would like a bit of a challenge. This best choice is Froakie as it is strong and has a diverse move pool - this choice is best for the new pokemon player, however, I chose this one and I've been playing pokemon for a long time. However, all of this is just my opinion and I would love some feedback :) Am I right or wrong? ;)

If you're not gonna mess with the movesets (leave it as it is originally, don't add moves yourself) then you're right ;) this sums it up quite nicely

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    The final evolutions are surprisingly all useful in battle. Greninja will probably be OU while I doubt the others will make it that high.
    My favorite is The Fennekin line, I will have a crippler Delphox with Magician and Switcheroo. Fun fun fun.
    By design, my opinion is Greninja>Delphox>Chesnaught but I love foxes and Delphox's typing so it's still my favorite.

Years
  • I'm kinda surprised the starters of this generation all broke records stat-wise. Chesnaught now being the starter with highest base Defense, Delphox being the starter with highest base Sp. Attack and Greninja not only being highest Speed of all starters (higher than the last "fastest" starter Sceptile) but now surpasses Starmie and Floatzel as highest Speed of all Water-types.

Greninja I've heard has been having an impact on competitive play thanks to Protean which makes all its attacks get STAB, plus it gets quite a good variety of attacks to use. No wonder Froakie became my fave Kalos starter in the end. The other two aren't bad either but Froakie's line has got the most useful niches of the bunch. And I'm kinda happy that all these starters got their own signature moves, it helps set them apart from most other starters.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • When I saw Fennekin from the start, I knew I was going all the way with this one :3 I kinda like the Chespin and Froakie line too, but those are Pokemon for me to "put away after the League to start a new team all over again", I dunno I often just choose the Pokemon I like and think are practical in battles. I really like the Fire/Psychic type-set (I really like both types) and just how the Fennekin line looks :3 I always try to have Pokemon in my team I'll stick with forever, I kinda had this feeling with the Fennekin line so thats why I will keep choosing this one ^_^

Floette

Fairy Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    Aesthetically, I really like Fennekin.

In game, I started with Chespin and boxed him as soon as I got Charmander. When I get Pokémon Y, I intend to start with Froakie.

I like all of them, but in game I didn't like Chespin much at all. I regret nothing though, because I get Articuno this way!

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    I love Chespin. Mostly for its final evolution, Chesnaught.

It can be quite a monster in competitive battles if trained right. :)

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • I chose Fennekin. I really like the Fire/Psychic combo and my Fennekin has been the keystone member of my party since the 2nd Gym. I normally like to choose the water starter because in past games I always found water pokémon the most useful in the early game while I am building a team, but I decided to try fire this time around.

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
    Years
  • Black and white was the 1st time i liked all the starters, i don't know why but i'm very pick about my starters. in red in blue i liked them all but never really used them. in gold i didn't like any of them... same with emerald... and diamond and pearl. and now With X & Y i can say i like ALL of them when i saw them pre-release i hated the frokie but when i used it and now i really like it! so my favorite would be Tepig, Delphox, Frokie, snivy. but that said i still like allot of other pokemon over starters.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • From an aesthetic perspective, I love Chesnaught. He reminds me of an otter dressed up like Bowser and I think that's adorable :3

From a competitive stand-point, it's no contest that Greninja is the best. Protean gives him STAB on everything he uses and makes landing a super-effective hit a pain-in-the-butt. As long as he can outspeed his opponent (and successfully land a killing blow), he has nothing to worry about.

Years
  • For the First time since gen I, I like all the starters and their fully evolved forms Delphox looks the coolest, Chesnaught looks good and is great fun to use, but competive wise Greninja is the best I guess even if he dosent look quite as cool as the others. Protean ones are amazingly adaptable, nothing worse than playing against one and it with an electric type for it to turn to rock type or using a grass type and it turning ice.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I've always picked the fire starter every game, it's just been my thing...but this time around I just couldn't. Delphox's ear hair scared me off :(

Greninja in contrast screams awesome. The Dark typing (Dark is my favourite type), the ninja style...I had no idea about his viability in online battles, never cared about that much, but that just adds to his coolness.

I picked Greninja and don't regret a thing!

Oragtto

Cloud King
    Years
  • When I think of starts I look for these things
    -Look
    -Stats
    -Type

I grew a bit on the look for all of them, all exept delphox. Well I didn't like all them from the beginning especially delphox. But Out of the three of them Greninja is my favorite. Its hidden ability that changes your type based on moves can change up things in the battle and competitively. Even though it has the lowest stat compared to the three in battles I find it the best(speed not bad though) Well from some reason I've always chose water type starters(except 3rd gen). But I do like Chessnaught though, reminds me of browser and a boxer hybrid.

Snork

My cabbages!
    Years
  • I chose Froakie this time round (I also usually go for the fire type, except gen 5 (Emboar was an ugly thing)), a badass dark type ninja frog just appealed to me so much and I was keen on having a water starter. In my opinion though, Braixen has the coolest design out of the starters and their evolutions and is my favourite.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
    Years
  • Hmm... I can't lie, I always consider the appearance in my decision. I chose Chespin this time and I don't regret it. Even though Quilladin is super awkward looking, the strong Chesnaught was sooo worth it. High defense and great attack power! Very, very cool.

Back