• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which starters, in your opinion, is the best?

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
  • Checked the first four pages of the forum and couldn't find it so...

Which Kalos-exclusive starter do you think is the best of the three? And do you have a least favorite? Or do you like them all equally?

Remember that just because somebody doesn't say "personally" or "I think" means they're trying to enforce their opinions as fact. An opinion cannot be proven. (Trust me, people have actually called me out an a different website, saying I was stating my opinion as fact. All I said was "Gen. 5 is the worst generation because..." on an opinionated topic. What did they even expect!?)

I really like Chespin, but I would be biased saying it was the best of the three. I've never used Fennekin or Froakie before! I plan to use Fennekin soon, but Froakie I'm not too interested in using since everybody else chose it. It's just another Water/Dark type in my eyes. I don't think it's bad, I just don't really want one.

Chespin is really awesome though. Chesnaught, it's evolution, is both bulky and powerful. It can learn tons of moves. It can even learn Dragon Claw. At first I was upset because it wasn't Grass/Rock, but it's just as defensive as a Rock type. We don't have too many Grass/Fighting types anyways, only Breloom.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Visually, my favorite first stage Starter is Chespin.
    My favorite second stage is Frogadier.
    My favorite third stage is Greninja.

On the competitive side I would have to say Greninja is obviously best. It's Hidden Ability Protean allows him to gain 4 different stab moves. And it's speed and special attack is amazing. Throw a Life Orb on a Timid Protean Greninja with the moves Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, Surf, and Ice Beam and you can basically sweep everything. That set by the way can 1 hit KO both Fennekin and Chespin's last evos before they can even attack.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • and Virizion too...

Anyways I have yet to raise a Chespin and Froakie...so I have yet to see. Delphox is pretty power though...but quite the glass cannon...

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Visually, my favorite first stage Starter is Chespin.
    My favorite second stage is Frogadier.
    My favorite third stage is Greninja.

On the competitive side I would have to say Greninja is obviously best. It's Hidden Ability Protean allows him to gain 4 different stab moves. And it's speed and special attack is amazing. Throw a Life Orb on a Jolly Protean Greninja with the moves Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, Surf, and Ice Beam and you can basically sweep everything. That set by the way can 1 hit KO both Fennekin and Chespin's last evos before they can even attack.

Timid*, but yeah :3
    ^This^
    I don't really like any of them. As I said here before, I loved Chespin, but his evolutions were a major disappointment.

iTorchwoodi

Waiting for the right Doctor
    Years
  • Even though i love Fennekin i have to say chespin. As its evolutionary chain can learn Nature power. And in an online battle that results in a Tri-Attack which is EXTREMELY Useful and powerful!
    Charmander is highly overused and since i dont have the X stone i cant have the Charizard i want. So im going to say if you didnt choose chespin choose Bulbasaur.
    Otherwise you might just want to box the second starter pokemon.

The Doctor

What!?
    Years
  • Going on Looks;

Stage 1: Fennekin
    Stage 2: Frogadier
    Stage 3: Chesnaught

Going on how I've used all three:

Chesnaught is so beautiful and fantastic for taking hits, he's been with me forever <3
    Delphox is ugly but her Sp.Atk is useful enough
    Greninja is weird looking enough but I don't judge pokemon *coughGarbadorcough*, not used him enough yet to know.

Hatsuharu

☆ princess of despair ☆
    Years
  • My favorite is Fennekin, but I have always had a bit of a soft spot for them fire types. Plus, it's part Psychic.. //swoons

At any rate, I do want to use a Froakie and Chespin, but unless I luckily get one over a Wonder Trade or someone is nice enough to trade, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    In terms of battling?

It's no contest. Greninja. It's blessed with great offensive stats and this is even made better with his Protean ability. This ability gives him tremendous power as he gets everything STAB. Not as powerful as an Infernape, but this mean it can function to be one of the best mixed sweepers. On top of that, unlike Infernape, Greninja can take hits better because Protean works as a defensive option because you can control the type chart to your advantageous with it. It's really scary.

Chesnaught got the short end of the stick. It got a terrible typing in Grass/Fighting, mediocre abilities and bad stat distribution. I really can't see it getting some use. Not to mention it'll be an extremely predictable Pokemon, completely opposite of Greninja who I foresee becoming a king of mindgames.

I can't comment on Delphox...it's hit or miss. Best wait and see.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • even if I havent played x and y I know fennekin was going to be the best. it has the amazing fire/psychic types(I am a sucker for psychic types lol). from the leak that I saw a while back it has a great mix of sp.atk,speed,and sp.def when it evolves to its final form. plus it just simply looks the best. fennekin is cute. braixen is has an amazing mage look. and delphox has this innovative mystic looks to it

Melodytlg

Melody
    Years
  • I've always liked the water starters, but since it was a way for me to get my beloved Squirtle I decided to go for something else as my "starter starter".
    I don't hate anyone of them, but I took a shine to Fennekin ever since the beginning. UNFORTUNATELY I saw a leak of what supposedly was Delphox and I freaked out (thanks Instagram). The picture was really bad, but it terrified me. It just looked too tall and the body was way too big for the head.. I dunno, but something about it gave me nightmares xD
    When I finally had the game in my hand I had to go with Fennekin regardless. I'm weak when it comes to cute foxes >.< Now I love my Delphox and like him much better than the others! I'm also weak for psychic types. I have a lot of weaknesses.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2018
    It's obviously not Chesnaught with its x4 Flying weakness. Delphox has some really good moves compared to Greninja.
    Since this game introduced the Fairy type, most pokemon have been fairy throughout the game. Since Fire is 1/2 Resistant to Fairy, Delphox is the better starter for this game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I chose and prefer Fennekin, mainly because it's final evolution is Fire/Psychic which I love. :)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    even if I havent played x and y I know fennekin was going to be the best. it has the amazing fire/psychic types(I am a sucker for psychic types lol). from the leak that I saw a while back it has a great mix of sp.atk,speed,and sp.def when it evolves to its final form.
    It's really weak to physical attacks though and has a pretty bad HP too. It can't do anything to special walls and has a huge Pursuit weakness.
    It's obviously not Chesnaught with its x4 Flying weakness. Delphox has some really good moves compared to Greninja.
    Since this game introduced the Fairy type, most pokemon have been fairy throughout the game. Since Fire is 1/2 Resistant to Fairy, Delphox is the better starter for this game.
    I don't see any reason to base usefulness on their capabilities against fairies and if you're going that way Greninja can change its type with Protean so it doesnt have to be weak anymore. Also, Greninja's movepool is more varied. What does Delphox has for notable special attacks? Psychic, Flamethrower/Fire Blast and Shadow Ball ONLY. It has a huge weakness against special walls, Tyranitar, Latias and Heatran. Greninja is much more versatile, the same way Infernape is.

I just feel like Delphox is basically an Alakazam without the versatile movepool.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • For the beginning stages...

I like all three. I go for Fennekin as the best, but I really like Chespin, too. Froakie's cute but I was never a big fan of it. Fennekin is simple and has a combination of coolness and adorableness, while Chespin is just sort of adorable. But I like foxes more than I like... armadillos? So, yeah, in my opinion, Fennekin is the best but Chespin comes close.

For the second stages...

Again, going with Fennekin's line and picking Braixen. I loooove the witch theme it has going on, and it was a good transition from its former in terms of body stature and flow of design (that sounds like mumbo-jumbo but I don't know what else to call it). Frogadier gave Froakie +10 points in coolness, but its body looks just a little disproportionate, with its head being to big and legs to thin. But I understand why since frogs look like that to a degree. I don't hate Quilladin, but it's not that special to me. Cute, though.

And I'm very disappointed with the final stages after being pleasantly pleased with the previous two lines, but if I have to choose one I choose... Chesnaught. I've said it before, but those weird-looking arms and legs wreck the whole design. But I really like the rest of it, especially it's head and protective shell. I appreciate simplicity but Delphox is a witch/spellcaster/magic thing so I think there were so many other cool possibilities for its design, but it's just this plain, way too tall fox who hasn't plucked its ear hair in a decade. While I don't exactly hate it, I just wanted so much more. And I can't stand Greninja but I know a lot of people love this one so I'll shut up lol.

Speaking in terms of strength...

Taking a gander at these stats kind of suggests that Chespin and Greninja could be one of the frontrunners of the new generation. Not sure about Delphox, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Froakie! I've always started with Water since I was young. Even when everyone made fun of Piplup :p

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    In terms of usefulness Greninja's speed and stab, mixed with a timid nature and his hidden ability puts him ahead, not far behind is Chesnaught with really good HP and Def, he also has amazing physical attack power and he surprisingly fast. Chesnaught can deal good damage while being able to stay in the fight. The only thing is that giant anchor on his foot called fighting type. Sort of wish he was a grass/steel type only would be 4x weak to fire instead of being weak to many more types. Delphox is prob the least useful. There really isn't any reason to use Delphox over another special sweeper. Nothing really in his movepool that gives him value.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2014
    Fire starter is the best in my opinion as its owns the start of the game, and gets you to other pokemon that are much better then any of the starters.

Water starter is still a badass Ninja though :D

Back