• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ahhh no, not THAT!!

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • What are your biggest fears? Or better yet, what are some fears that you've been able to conquer in the past?

I have a huge fear of spiders, especially Daddy Long Legs. The mere sight of them just scare the pants right off of me *shudders at the thought*

Sirfetch’d

I really only have one big fear and that is spiders. I am so scared of them that if I see one, I can't even be in that room for hours even if it was killed D:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I guess I will talk about two things I've sort of "conquered": talking on the phone and anything to do with eyes.

I used to have a lot of phone anxiety. I didn't like the phone for anything, even talking to friends and people I knew well. Just the idea of phoning anyone would get me really worked up and I'd need a lot of time to unwind afterwards because it would rile me up so much. Fast forward to when I got my first job... I was hired on as a hostess at a restaurant and within a few hours on my first day, my manager switched me to phone operator. I was so, sooo nervous at first but having to pretty much dive right in made me get over it pretty quickly. I still don't necessarily like making phone calls nowadays but I know the person on the other end, if I'm calling a business, is no different than I was when I had that job. And if I'm just calling someone I know? Well, most of the people I know aren't really a fan of phones either so that's not a big deal either. I'm glad I had the job because life is so much easier now that phoning people is a non-issue.

The second thing is eyes. For many years I've had issues with eyes. I could look at them, of course, but the moment anyone talked about having problems with their eyes, or talked about contact lenses, or sometimes even the idea of needing glasses, I'd feel sick to my stomach. I remember in grade 11 Physics, I would often have to leave the room entirely during our optics unit because we mentioned eyes so much. Going to the eye doctor would leave me feeling physically ill for days because of the eye drops and especially all the posters and pamphlets about eye diseases or issues. Then quite a few years ago I started developing a... I don't even know. A cyst or a wart or something? It was right underneath my right (I think?) eyelid. It didn't hurt and it didn't get in the way but sometimes if I rubbed or scratched near it, as you just often do during the day, it would feel very irritated. I also didn't like the way it looked, especially because every time I'd look at myself in the mirror, I would see it and be reminded that there was a minor problem with my eye, and then I'd think about my eye, and then I'd feel sick for a while. Eventually I asked about it during a visit to the optometrist and they said I could get rid of it. I agreed, even though it was really mostly cosmetic, so we did it.

I reeaaally wish I could forget that day, even if it did kind of help with my fear much the same way that the phone thing did. I won't go into detail about the procedure but I remember it involved a needle that was uncomfortably close to my eye. (I probably would go into detail but I honestly do not remember what happened. I asked to be put under for it or something and they refused since it was so minor but I really think I blacked it out in my memory because I remember up until I sat down in the chair and saw the needle... uhh... approaching... and I remember being in the car afterwards and nothing in-between.) I had to wear an eyepatch for a week and every day for a month I had to put on this disinfectant cream, I think? So multiple times a day, I had this massive reminder that there was an issue with my eye (or around it, anyway) and I spent the whole month feeling physically ill. It was horrible. But since then? I've been a little better with the whole concept of eyes. I still can't watch people putting contacts in and I can't deal with eye gore in TV or movies at ALL but I don't feel sick for as long when I go to the optometrists, I can sit still during conversations about laser eye surgery without having to leave the room, and I actually wear glasses now and can deal with the fact that my eyesight isn't perfect anymore without feeling completely uneasy about it. I've improved so much and I'm kind of stupidly proud of it.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Bugs in general. If one goes right past me, I get a bit of a jolt. It could be anything from spiders, to even flies.

Heights. Even jumping off something not even a metre high gives me a sense that my legs are gonna break on impact.

Years
  • Heights is a big one, I am deathly afraid of heights. People tend to find it funny since I am well over six feet tall but it really is potentially crippling I think. I especially don't like being in lifts/elevators because I'm high up with no control of how high I am, at least on stairs I am physically moving myself higher.

I'm afraid of losing people who are important to me, it's the stuff of nightmares for me. But I guess most people are like this.

I'm afraid of things I can't comprehend too if that makes sense. If I can't understand something fundamental to life/death thinking too hard on it can take me close to a nervous break down.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Eyes. I hate eyes. and heights, but I'm starting to get over the heights. Not the eyes though.

I can't look at them, touch them or anything without feeling sick. I've tried to get over this fear though, even dissected a goat's eye in the past. Didn't work.

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
  • Bugs. Well, im okay with moths, spiders, flies, and all dat. They dont scare me much ^^, except... ((o.o))
    Caterpillars...
    I hate em >.<!!! The way they crawl, their little squishy slimy bodies...those patterns....those legs...URG
    And anything dat is related to caterpillars, like centipedes, inchworm (im okay with normal worms tho), and....much more...just utterly creepy :(

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I have a huge fear of thunderstorms. I automatically freeze up when I hear thunder rumbling and I'm absolutely terrified when lightning strikes. I don't get how people can be so brave. Yes, we're safe inside, but there's bloody electricity coming from the sky. Aren't you at least a bit concerned? I hate, hate, hate thunderstorms. If I'm caught outside in one, I'll wait it out. If I have to walk, I'll sprint the whole way. Not even bother to stop. No ♥♥♥♥ing way, I'm staying outside. >_>

My second biggest fear is wasps. If I see a wasp, it's gotta die. Not at my hands but someone elses.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • My most common fear would be wasps, probably because ive never been stung and have no clue how painful it would be.
    Then, i have a fear of sharks, which i thought was pretty irrational, living in Europe and all that, until i saw this map:
    Spoiler:

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • I would love to explain in vivid detail, but mine is more of a nightmare fuel kind of thing, not something as spiders or heights, oh no, I have seen and heard things way worse that anything you could actually think of, sometimes I feel like I conquered them, but in the end they just come back, and I need to face them again, but when I do, I don't actually think I do anything that can affect them.

I also don't like bridges very much. *cringe*

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I just have a lot of social fears/anxiety. The past two years I have put a lot of effort into tackling social situations I would usually run from and now I feel as though I come off as pretty normal. I was told recently I just seem like a "chill girl" which I'm very happy about because most of the time I am having the panic attack of the century internally and I am always worried someone will notice!

Another thing that ties in with the above problem is that when I was younger I was a lot bigger and it was pretty much ingrained in me that I was super ugly and undesirable. and idk I feel like the biggest pussy when I say this, but it really has affected me entirely as a person. After I lost a lot of weight and I would go out and everyone around me treated me so differently and guys would actually approach me and try to talk to me and it was just so shocking I couldn't handle any of it. After 18 years of people telling me that I looked like ♥♥♥♥ I couldn't see myself any other way even though I looked completely different than before. I still have a lot of trouble with it sometimes, but I've come to think of it as even though I still believe I look horrible I must not to other people because a lot of them are interested or compliment me. Honestly idc if that sounds messed up this is literally progress for me so stfu xoxo

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • I have a fear of superfluous punctuation in topic titles. It's my only weakness. As soon as I saw the topic title I knew exactly what to expect.

But really, I just use this simple Q and A to answer whether I'm going to be afraid of it or not:

1 - Does it hurt a lot?
    Yes - I'M AFRAID GO AWAY
    No - Go to 2.

2 - Is it a bee or wasp?
    Yes - RUN INTO A ROAD DO ANYTHING GET OUT OF THE WAY PANIC DO RIDICULOUS EVASIVE MANOEUVRES LET THE WORLD KNOW HOW TRAUMATISING THIS WHOLE ORDEAL IS
    No - oh thank you jesus christ

Years
  • spiders are one of my biggest fears, then its mimes and clowns as a very close second. if those three things were around me at the same time i would have no choice but to curl up into a fettle position and cry

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I have always been deathly afraid of large spiders. Little spiders are no problem, but it's when we get to the Daddy Long Legs and other species like that where I really get scared. I seriously just freeze up if I see a close up picture of a spider's face.

I get uneasy around knives as well. Have no clue as to why, but I just feel really uncomfortable around knives.

Years
  • Any type of bug and/or insects scare the crap out of me, especially spiders D: I remember this one time, I was over at my now ex-boyfriend's place and he squished a spider on my request then he proceeded to advance on me, locking me in a corner with the spider practically in my face ;__; Yeah, needless to say, I cried and curled up into a ball...

Years
  • I really hope that I'm conquering my fear of fire and heat. I used to dislike touching hot surfaces, let alone stare at them because I was afraid of being burned. But slowly and surely, I've been getting closer and closer to flames. Hell, I lit a bunsen burner in Chemistry lab for the first time the other day! =D

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • One fear that I have is a fear of needles. In fact whenever there is a blood drive happening, I don't go participate in it. Also when I play games in the Halo series, I don't like using the Needler or Needle Rifle. So yes, my fear of needles even extends to when I play video games.

You would absolutely hate that scene in Dead Space 2 then when they have to extract the code of how to make the Marker out of Issac. I wouldn't look it up if I were you considering your fear, but anyone who has played that game knows what I'm talking about here.

Back