• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokemon STRIKE! Yellow Version [BETA 0.5 W.I.P. - BETA 0.4 Available]

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
I just beat the Elite Four last night. Here's the team I used. It primarily consisted of Mew (who came in extremely handy since she was able to learn Volt Tackle). I will say that the game gets very hard once Sabrina has been defeated, or it was for me at least. From Blaine onward is pretty difficult. I was really only able to safely use my Mew from Blaine onward because she has such a massive type coverage, as well as evenly balanced stats.

I should probably note that, yes, I did use cheat codes. I watched what XENON3120 (www.youtube.com/user/XENON3120) had managed to get through so far in his Nuzlocke and I knew it was going to be a difficult game. I wanted to get a feel for the game as a whole without having to worry about too much, then return to the game and play it (mostly) legitimately. There are codes I do NOT use. I didn't use cheats for Rare Candy or infinite HP. I did use codes for:
  1. altered wild Pokemon encounters - I used these codes at the beginning of the game to obtain Mew, Aerodactyl, & Starmie as my "starters"
  2. infinite PP - because I can't stand having to return to a PokeCenter only to restore PP. it's a total waste of my time.
    [*]no random battles - in retrospect, I probably should not have used this as much as I did. Aerodactyl & Starmie could have used the additional EXP when it came to the Elite Four
  3. always on bicycle - because why not? I can complete the game much quicker
  4. infinite Safari Zone cheats - infinite Safari Zone time & infinite Safari Zone balls. I wasn't sure if the mapping of the Safari Zone would be different (it's not FYI), but I knew the encounters within it would be altered and I wanted to be able to do the entire Safari Zone in one run (catch all Pokemon, obtain all items)
  5. Pikachu as my HM slave - I kept Pikachu in my party the entire game, but only used him as a forced HM slave. I used cheat codes to teach him Cut, Flash, Fly, and Strength because I also did not want to have to waste time finding a handful of Pokemon to hold the necessary HM moves.

I have to add that even with the cheats I used, the game was still exceedingly difficult and was no easy feat. This game is hard - especially the latter half of the game.

Here is the team I used, their stats, and their movepools:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Some Normal-type moves have been changed to Fighting and changed many move mechanics as well, like Submission, as example. It has now a neat 100 Base Power with no recoil damage. Some non Fighting-type mons weak to Rock-type can benefit a lot from this change.
You should increase Submission's base power because with it's critical hit rate Karate Chop has the same power.
I have to add that even with the cheats I used, the game was still exceedingly difficult and was no easy feat. This game is hard - especially the latter half of the game.
It was hard without cheats. The team I used is at the top of page 2 if you want to look at that.

Last edited:

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
I've now started a new game. I used cheats to obtain Charmander, Gastly, and Dratini as my starters in order to get a better feel for the revamped Dragon & Ghost types and moves. I like to really explore new game mechanics before I attempt to play it through legitimately. Even with 2 Dragons (one who is even resistant to Ice type) and a vastly improved Ghost type Pokemon, the game is still REALLY HARD. I like that. I can tell Drake Seawood really collaborated a lot with SinisterHoodedFigure on this game. A lot of the maps are reminiscent of Blue Kaizo. However, thankfully the majority of the monotonous winding paths from Blue Kaizo were fixed. Maps still wind, but not unnecessarily so like they do in Blue Kaizo.

After having a bit more experience with the game, I do have some input for the rom hack's developers that may or may not be of some use:

1.) Severely disappointed that Thunderbolt is now gone. It was definitely one of the most prominent, reliable moves from Gen 1 and it is sorely missed by me. I can understand it being replaced by Volt Tackle, especially this being a hack of Yellow and centered around Pikachu/Raichu, but I still miss Thunderbolt. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if other Pokemon besides Pikachu, Raichu, and Mew could learn it. The removal of Thunderbolt really only leaves Thunder and Thunderpunch to be learned by the vast majority of other Pokemon... and it does say in the README that Thunder's accuracy has been decreased, does it not? That's pretty disappointing. The game now lacks an Electric type move of "medium-high" strength. I really miss Thunderbolt. It would help a lot if other Pokemon could be taught Volt Tackle, preferably all the ones who were capable of learning Thunderbolt.

Also, why the hell is this still in the Hacks Sideshow Showcase? Dafuq? This hack is complete and deserves more recognition than just being a "Sideshow."

Last edited:
Years
I've now started a new game. I used cheats to obtain Charmander, Gastly, and Dratini as my starters in order to get a better feel for the revamped Dragon & Ghost types and moves. I like to really explore new game mechanics before I attempt to play it through legitimately. Even with 2 Dragons (one who is even resistant to Ice type) and a vastly improved Ghost type Pokemon, the game is still REALLY HARD. I like that. I can tell Drake Seawood really collaborated a lot with SinisterHoodedFigure on this game. A lot of the maps are reminiscent of Blue Kaizo. However, thankfully the majority of the monotonous winding paths from Blue Kaizo were fixed. Maps still wind, but not unnecessarily so like they do in Blue Kaizo.

After having a bit more experience with the game, I do have some input for the rom hack's developers that may or may not be of some use:

1.) Severely disappointed that Thunderbolt is now gone. It was definitely one of the most prominent, reliable moves from Gen 1 and it is sorely missed by me. I can understand it being replaced by Volt Tackle, especially this being a hack of Yellow and centered around Pikachu/Raichu, but I still miss Thunderbolt. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if other Pokemon besides Pikachu, Raichu, and Mew could learn it. The removal of Thunderbolt really only leaves Thunder and Thunderpunch to be learned by the vast majority of other Pokemon... and it does say in the README that Thunder's accuracy has been decreased, does it not? That's pretty disappointing. The game now lacks an Electric type move of "medium-high" strength. I really miss Thunderbolt. It would help a lot if other Pokemon could be taught Volt Tackle, preferably all the ones who were capable of learning Thunderbolt.

Also, why the hell is this still in the Hacks Sideshow Showcase? Dafuq? This hack is complete and deserves more recognition than just being a "Sideshow."
Pokemon who learned Thunderbolt by TM now learn it by level up. Even Starmie and Lapras. This game is also not complete yet and will be released sometime soon. If you need any help on your hackless playthrough I can answer *most* questions about the game except level up moves and new evolution levels As I've caught 130 pokemon in the game.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Typically, the main qualification for a feature hack at PokéCommunity is a complete overhaul of the game being hacked. This usually means the game takes on a completely different story with a different region and layout. I don't know where altered map layouts of existing maps stands with the administrators and moderators. That'll be the deciding factor for this hack, as the rest of the game sees changes that are not dissimilar to other hacks in the Sideshow Showcase.

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
Pokemon who learned Thunderbolt by TM now learn it by level up. Even Starmie and Lapras. This game is also not complete yet and will be released sometime soon. If you need any help on your hackless playthrough I can answer *most* questions about the game except level up moves and new evolution levels As I've caught 130 pokemon in the game.

Roger that. I've actually started two new games (one on PC, one on mobile) and in my PC game I have a Lapras, so I'm glad to hear this. My Lapras should turn out even nicer than I expected. He hasn't learned it yet, but I'll take your word for it.

2d2irgm.jpg

Years
Roger that. I've actually started two new games (one on PC, one on mobile) and in my PC game I have a Lapras, so I'm glad to hear this. My Lapras should turn out even nicer than I expected. He hasn't learned it yet, but I'll take your word for it.
Want to have a battle when you beat the game?

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
Want to have a battle when you beat the game?

Yeah, I would be down to battle. My only problem is I now own a Mac and I'm assuming everybody is using the TGB Dual emulator to battle. I'm not sure if that's compatible with a Mac but I'm sure something can be figured out.

And I totally forgot I used a Starmie in my first playthrough. I think I got him up to level 73 or something and he still hasn't learned Thunderbolt. Are you sure he learns it?

But yeah, just contact me and we can set something up for a battle. Either message me on here or find me on Twitch (username: itwasabaddream)

Years
Yeah, I would be down to battle. My only problem is I now own a Mac and I'm assuming everybody is using the TGB Dual emulator to battle. I'm not sure if that's compatible with a Mac but I'm sure something can be figured out.

And I totally forgot I used a Starmie in my first playthrough. I think I got him up to level 73 or something and he still hasn't learned Thunderbolt. Are you sure he learns it?

But yeah, just contact me and we can set something up for a battle. Either message me on here or find me on Twitch (username: itwasabaddream)

Pretty sure it learns it as a Staryu sorry. I'm not actually 100% sure that it learns it but the move changelog says it wasn't removed. I'll message you when I fill the Pokedex. I'm so close:
niruP2a.jpg

Do you have Skype?
Edit: done:
zEeHess.jpg

Last edited:

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
Do you have Skype?
Edit: done:
zEeHess.jpg

Congrats on completing the Pokedex. I'm striving to do that on my first save file.
Also, in my latest game I started on my PC, I changed my Dragonite's typing to Dragon/Ghost. Sounds OP, I know, but it's friggin' sweet. It's like having a Giratina in the 1st Gen {:3}

My Skype username is itwasabaddream.

Years
Congrats on completing the Pokedex. I'm striving to do that on my first save file.
Also, in my latest game I started on my PC, I changed my Dragonite's typing to Dragon/Ghost. Sounds OP, I know, but it's friggin' sweet. It's like having a Giratina in the 1st Gen {:3}

My Skype username is itwasabaddream.

If you're going to Pikasav Pokemon, do not u se the Max everything function on a pokemon in the PC. In my experience, I corrupts all the pokemon in the PC.

Pearlone

Beginning Mapper Spriter
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 9, 2017
So... does anyone have a download file of any sort or maybe have an idea when this will be fully released? Been over a month since we last heard from the creator of the hack.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 31, 2022
i think it is coming out in may but not sure.. i really wanna play it so i hope it comes out soon

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
So I got the game from a link provided by Com3tiin/Chamber in the whack a hack forums, here are my impressions/suggestions :

GOOD :
- I like the changes you made to the learnsets
- and the fact that you made all pokemon available (I like the fact that Meowth and Poliwag are available early)
-The price reductions to useful items
- the fact that you made TMs more easily available

TO CORRECT (if possible) :
- I think it is too OP for trainers at the begining ( around the second gym) to have pokemon with Dragon Rage when our pokemon have less or just slightly more than 40 hps.
- I also think it's unfair for us to have to face trainers with Dragonairs when we can't even fish yet...
- while I think that it's good for level grinding to face all the trainers, I'd like to be able to skip some (for Ditto glitch purposes...)
- If you want to keep it that way could you add a healing npc in rock tunnel and/or right outside of it...because not only do we have to face all the trainers in the cave but also outside of it when our team is weakened. To not loose we have to be overleveled, or travel with a big amount of super potions.
- Talking about rock tunnel I have two other gripes with it : first the route to it is a one-way route : once we jump the ledge there's no going back to Cerulean for more items/to pick up things we forgot (Squirtle for instance). If we want to go back we have to use the walk through everything code. Secondly : it is in the dark and we have to use flash to see where we are going but the flash hm is normally unavailable to us due to being in a house blocked by a small pond. To get to it we have to use the walk through everything code again. I see two solutions to this problem: make rock tunnel not dark so that we don't need the HM at all, or if you want to keep the cave dark : make flash more easily available but add a move deleter to the game to get rid of it later on...
- Som places have wild pokemon at too low a level compared to our team, which can make level grinding long and tedious.
- I find it slightly annoying to face trainers who use 3 super potions in a row on their pokemon, limit them to one or two at most please.
- Can you make rock tunnel accessible without cut? I like to rotate my team members and I had to kee my parasect who was slightly overleveled on hand instead of switching him for a weaker mon who needed grinding just to enter the cave....

WOULD BE REALLY COOL IF ADDED:
- 2nd,4th and 6h (Sylveon) gen evolutions of 1st gen mons
- Steel, dark and Fairy types
- more new/late gen moves
- Physical/secial split like in 4th gen onwards.
- being able to be a girl

Sorry for the extra long post.

Last edited:

com3tiin

Soy chamber...
Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
About one of the points of @Glitch Kitty is a bug of the game to have infinite Super Potions? Once I played against a trainer (can not remember which) that use more than 5 Super potions in battle (maybe Brock).

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
TO CORRECT (if possible) :
- I think it is too OP for trainers at the begining ( around the second gym) to have pokemon with Dragon Rage when our pokemon have less or just slightly more than 40 hps.
- I also think it's unfair for us to have to face trainers with Dragonairs when we can't even fish yet...
- while I think that it's good for level grinding to face all the trainers, I'd like to be able to skip some (for Ditto glitch purposes...)
- If you want to keep it that way could you add a healing npc in rock tunnel and/or right outside of it...because not only do we have to face all the trainers in the cave but also outside of it when our team is weakened. To not loose we have to be overleveled, or travel with a big amount of super potions.
- Talking about rock tunnel I have two other gripes with it : first the route to it is a one-way route : once we jump the ledge there's no going back to Cerulean for more items/to pick up things we forgot (Squirtle for instance). If we want to go back we have to use the walk through everything code. Secondly : it is in the dark and we have to use flash to see where we are going but the flash hm is normally unavailable to us due to being in a house blocked by a small pond. To get to it we have to use the walk through everything code again. I see two solutions to this problem: make rock tunnel not dark so that we don't need the HM at all, or if you want to keep the cave dark : make flash more easily available but add a move deleter to the game to get rid of it later on...
- Som places have wild pokemon at too low a level compared to our team, which can make level grinding long and tedious.
- I find it slightly annoying to face trainers who use 3 super potions in a row on their pokemon, limit them to one or two at most please.
- Can you make rock tunnel accessible without cut? I like to rotate my team members and I had to kee my parasect who was slightly overleveled on hand instead of switching him for a weaker mon who needed grinding just to enter the cave....

WOULD BE REALLY COOL IF ADDED:
- 2nd,4th and 6h (Sylveon) gen evolutions of 1st gen mons
- Steel, dark and Fairy types
- more new/late gen moves
- Physical/secial split like in 4th gen onwards.
- being able to be a girl

It's painfully obvious that you did not get the Readme.txt with your download, or if you did get it, you definitely didn't read it.

This rom hack was developed for the metagame. Drake has said before that it was made to balance out some inconsistencies in the Gen 1 metagame so that players doing link cable battles would be able to do so without the many bugs that were unique to Gen 1. I think the playable storyline is something secondary to the fixing of the metagame, therefore I highly doubt you'll see your Sylveon or your dark, steel, fairy types, or your physical/special split, or the ability to play as a girl -- That just has nothing to do with the concept of this rom hack.

FROM THE README THAT CAME WITH THE ROM DIRECTLY:
8. Recommended grinding spots:

- Up to ~30/35 >>> Route 6: Overall, very good Stat Exp wild pokemon distribution.
- Up to ~50/60 >>> Route 18: With a bit of pacience, training in this route can be satisfactory.
- Up to ~70/80 >>> Seafoam Island 5th Underfloor (Articuno's lair) or Route 21: Be careful, Pokemon are powerful.
- Up to ~80/90 >>> Route 23: Between the Indigo Plateau Front Gate and Victory Road. Be careful, Pokemon are powerful.
- Up to ~100 >>> Victory Road.

Concerning your gripe with the trainer(s) who seem to have unlimited healing items: They do. Welcome to Gen 1. This is just how it is, how it always has been -- even in the original games from GameFreak.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2015
I never got a Readme.txt, Any chance you could post a download link (either here or in a PM)?

Thanks!

Back