• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon becoming too easy?

Is Pokemon becoming too easy?

• Yes

Votes: 41 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 28.1%

• Total voters

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • I've noticed that Pokemon games have become easier. According to Masuda, GameFreak did that on purpose because they know that Pokemon gamers may not have enough time for those games as they used to.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Just to quote this part of the interview:

It's become quite a bit easier to raise Pokémon in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y than it was in past titles, wouldn't you say?
    Mr. Masuda: Yes, because people are busy these days. They have plenty of other things to play with, and not just video games. We had the idea of making it easier to raise Pokémon since the early days of these games' development, to better fit with this environment where we no longer have as much time to dedicate to thoroughly playing our way through a single game. Besides, being able to raise Pokémon in as little time as possible means that you can enjoy battling using a wider variety of Pokémon.
    Mr. Morimoto: Even in our past titles, we've been slowly adjusting the length of time needed to raise a single Pokémon to become shorter and shorter, but the threshold for battling still felt high for players. I'd guess there were those who still felt like they just couldn't quite join in and compete. By alleviating the amount of time and work needed to raise your Pokémon to their ultimate condition the way that you want to in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, we've made it easier for all players to participate in battling.
    source: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/keeping-an-eye-on-the-game/

Because people nowadays are busy with school work, college work, jobs, and other irl activities, the difficulty had to be dumbed down while still not losing its fun factor to the silent majority. Besides, the only reason the original games were more difficult was due to shallow movepools, poor type diversity, and game-breaking bugs, but they can still be easy if you know what exactly you are doing, regardless if the NPC have larger or shorter teams that either outlevel you or are underleveled. Pokémon G/S/C were easy due to the abundance of low-leveled Pokémon in both trainers and in the wild, and yet it's still regarded as the GOAT (greatest of all time) of the series.

Edit: Greninja'd by PlatinumDude, but the link to the source should at least give his post credit.

Years
  • As mentioned by Pinkie and Platinum, it was revealed by Masuda himself that he knew that most Pokemon players were busy with real life stuff and didn't have as much time to train their Pokemon as they used to, so that's what led to the so-called "dumbing down" of the difficulty.

Still, any Pokemon game can be "easy" if you're a skilled player who knows what they're doing.

Years
  • I hadn't really considered this until I got into my recent play-through of Pokemon emerald. Once I got passed the 5th gym I actually had a couple of genuinly challenging regular trainer battles, especially the double battles, with the AI using some genuinely good move combinations as well as potions and held berries. I was actually surprised at how well the AI fought, it was nothing like what I was used to in Y.

I'm not fussed about the more easily accessed exp share, but I have suddenly found myself missing these more interesting trainer battles. The only battle I remember being a challenge in Y was the 8th gym leader. So yes, I suppose they have become quite a bit easier.

Years
  • I don't know if its just because we're getting older therefore we're finding it easier to play than when we were kids. I did find the new XY version super easy to level up though, but I find there's others thing in the game to help keep me occupied xD

Years
  • Honestly I've never had a problem with the games being too easy, but that's because I catch every single available pokemon, and after every trainer battle I switch out a few members of my team. So when I get up to a gym leader my highest leveled pokemon on my team is usually like 5 levels or so below the leader's pokemon.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Outside of the redone Exp. Share mechanics, which feel like a handicap for newcomers to the series more than anything, nothing in X&Y felt like they were dumbing down the difficulty. We as players are just becoming more experienced. XD

EthanAG

You know yeah I think over the Generations Pokemon has been getting a lot easier...
    As other people mentioned... People dont have time... If they make it more easier why not add harder difficulties.. But yeah Pokemon is very very easy now

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    Way to easy, it seems that everyone I know that actually sits down and tries finished the game quickly and with relative ease. The main story is to short and is way to easy to just bulldoze your way through.

27thColt

The Collector
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    Well yeah it is. They are easing up a little this generation. But then again, I think this generation, although revolutionary, very small.

Think about it, after what happened with people hating Gen 5 pokemon, they only created 71 gen 6 pokemon. The games we quite short even with the after-story. The "Battle Building" for these games is only the Battle Mansion. Plus, X & Y (in my opinion) kinda came a little all of a sudden. I just finished Pokemon Black 2 (I got it late) and one of the next things I see 1 - 2 months later is Gen 6.

I have a feeling the reason why they did this is so Pokemon can fit more of it's target audience. Or, maybe a game that new kids can easily get into since it is a new console.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • It's probably due to the new Exp. mechanics that the games start to get easier with every new generation. I mean, I recall that I always get underleveled by at least 10 levels whenever I reach the league before generation 5. Gen 5, I was underleveled by only 5 levels, and gen 6, I was instead overleveled.

But the point on people getting busier still stands out though. I mean, the audience that had fell in love with the games years ago are already starting to have lives (Pokemon is nearing 20 years old after all), so it makes sense that the original 10-year-old fans from back at the RBY days are now working or already got engaged/married and basically don't have that much time anymore.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Exp. Share is also a toggle-able feature.
    Then you can switch the battle style to Set to make the game a little bit more difficult as well.

The Hard mode in B2/W2 isn't really actual difficulty IMO, since all it does is increase the opponents' levels so that you hit less while they hit more; that's a fairly lame way of making something more difficult. Keeping the same levels, but making the AI stronger in higher difficulties would be a better way. Trainers would use items more often, would use tactical thinking when using status moves, etc.

Back