• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What remake would you like to see next?

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
  • Giving them herbal medicine isn't "treating them like crap". There's bitter medicine IRL and sometimes you have to take it. There's no real way to treat Pokémon like crap in the game, except for maybe making them faint a lot, but you most certainly can't do to them what Team Rocket does for example (which is why Frustration is a pointless move).

It's not entirely treating them like crap, but it DOES make them very unhappy with you, and considering there's an option that doesn't decrease happiness...why use them? Combined with having them faint a bunch, it makes them hate you, and that goes against the whole point of the series, which is to befriend your Pokemon. Sure you can't kick them or kill them but that's because Game Freak thankfully never included the option to (and also you're the hero, why would you?) And Frustration isn't entirely pointless... it's just a visual representation of how horrible you are as a trainer. To be honest I don't get why they don't delve on it a little more, like having a Pokemon that hates you disobey you like a traded Pokemon would. Make the Pokemon is too afraid to disobey and just resents you deep down? Either way using bitter medicine is something I never do. Call me a bleeding heart but I can't stand the thought of the adorable little things hating me. :)

Even in RSE, some berries are better than others. Chances are you aren't wasting your berry fields with poison-curing berries when you could be planting Lum Berries there instead.

There's a disadvantage to using Lum Berries you forgot to mention: the fact that you have to water them precisely when they need water... to get exactly 2 berries a plant. They cure status effects, sure, but they're dang impractical to use because you have to farm enough of them for them to even be useful more than once or twice. You might as well just have a stock of each status berry because they're easier to farm than Lum berries and aren't nearly as hard to replenish. And also if you give them to a Pokemon and it's used up, that's it. If you were seeking to guard against a particular status effect like sleep or confusion too bad!

But even in GSC they weren't entirely useless. Those two Berries you got before you fought your rival for the first time was a godsend, and even if you could only get them once a day they were free and came in use if you didn't happen to have any Full Heals on hand. (And those Miracle berries man!)

And FRLG didn't lack berries, either.
    Weeeelll.... it's not so much they lacked berries in FRLG... it's that they lacked replenishable ones. You could find berries buried in little holes in the ground. Once you got them, they were gone for good and didn't come back. The only way to get more was to either get a full team with Pickup or steal some off of Rattata, Jigglypuff and other Pokemon that would occasionally have them. Apparently the berry trees were in the endless woods your character couldn't go in but the Pokemon could.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I thought that the berries regenerated in the ground in three island, but it was one day...it's been so long though.

Anyways if Gen I isn't re-remade next gen it probably won't be re-remade for a very long time (thus far every remake has taken 2 years more than the other before it (between the original and the remake at 8,10, and 12.) So 2004 being FrLg's release it syands to reason that a re-remake will be done by 2018. However, I think we still have this year and the next left in this Generation (spoiler alert, Ash has yet to get his 5th badge (in Jp). Also Zygarde doesn't seem to be in the upcoming movie unlike Suicune, Rayquaza, Giratina, and Kyurem who appeared in a movie before their games came out), so 2017 for Gen VII, leaving 2018 for Kanto re-remakes. If we're getting Sinnoh next then 2019 Third/sequel/prequel, and finally Sinnoh remakes at the end of the decade (some consider 1,11,21,901,1991,2001,2011,etc. as the true beginning of the decade, and considering the calender has no year 0 it's accurate so say that...)

Years
  • To be fair, with all this talk about berries, the Unova games had wild Pokémon that often held the status healing berries like Chesto Berries, Pecha Berries, and the like. And there was Join Avenue in B2W2, which you could sometimes get a Florist from. And yes, I remember how the berries in Berry Forest in FRLG would regenerate...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • You're willingly choosing a medicine that makes them unhappy over alternatives that don't simply because of cost... Yeah, that's pretty sketchy, I have to say.

It's not entirely treating them like crap, but it DOES make them very unhappy with you, and considering there's an option that doesn't decrease happiness...why use them? Combined with having them faint a bunch, it makes them hate you, and that goes against the whole point of the series, which is to befriend your Pokemon. Sure you can't kick them or kill them but that's because Game Freak thankfully never included the option to (and also you're the hero, why would you?) And Frustration isn't entirely pointless... it's just a visual representation of how horrible you are as a trainer. To be honest I don't get why they don't delve on it a little more, like having a Pokemon that hates you disobey you like a traded Pokemon would. Make the Pokemon is too afraid to disobey and just resents you deep down? Either way using bitter medicine is something I never do. Call me a bleeding heart but I can't stand the thought of the adorable little things hating me. :)

You're missing the point. Revival Herbs don't have an equivalent. You can't normally buy Max Revives.

I usually don't buy Energypowders or whatever they're called, because the happiness penalty isn't worth the discount. But I like Revival Herbs because they can be lifesavers in battle. It's much different to heal full HP than to heal half HP. Max Revives are limited and I don't like spending them, otherwise I'd use them instead.

It's annoying that they add a -20 penalty to happiness, but I don't usually need them, so it doesn't affect me too much. Also, you absolutely shouldn't use them on Pokémon like Golbat which evolve by happiness.

I really wish they revamped the happiness system, to have bad happiness have an effect (not always negative, otherwise there would be no point). Pokémon-Amie was a good start, but it coexists with the old, outdated happiness system.

Years
  • I remember using Revival Herbs in Platinum once where I absolutely needed the Max Revive capability to beat Gardenia, because she would have been impossible otherwise (my team had quite a few Pokémon that did not fare well against her at all). But I don't find the happiness reduction significant unless you're using something with Return, or if you want something to learn an elemental Hyper Beam, Draco Meteor, etcetera.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    To be honest I don't get why they don't delve on it a little more, like having a Pokemon that hates you disobey you like a traded Pokemon would. Make the Pokemon is too afraid to disobey and just resents you deep down? Either way using bitter medicine is something I never do. Call me a bleeding heart but I can't stand the thought of the adorable little things hating me. :)

I kind of wish they would implement something like that to make happiness actually mean something. Like, say, have a Pokémon start disobeying if its happiness goes below 70 (the value wild Pokémon and traded Pokémon start at). On the flip-side, they could have a Pokémon with a friendship of 220 or higher (the value needed for friendship evolutions) gain extra EVs (or something) in battle.

But even in GSC they weren't entirely useless. Those two Berries you got before you fought your rival for the first time was a godsend, and even if you could only get them once a day they were free and came in use if you didn't happen to have any Full Heals on hand. (And those Miracle berries man!)

Even if you could only get one a day, GSC Berries didn't need to be watered, so they were always guaranteed to grow back. If you wanted a lot, all you needed to do was reset the time over and over again. Plus, you could also get them from wild Pokémon, especially those traded from RBY (which were always holding an item).

Apparently the berry trees were in the endless woods your character couldn't go in but the Pokemon could.

Which was in the postgame area... Like all of the other modern gameplay features that weren't in the original RBY. :rolleyes2:

Anyways if Gen I isn't re-remade next gen it probably won't be re-remade for a very long time (thus far every remake has taken 2 years more than the other before it (between the original and the remake at 8,10, and 12.) So 2004 being FrLg's release it syands to reason that a re-remake will be done by 2018. However, I think we still have this year and the next left in this Generation (spoiler alert, Ash has yet to get his 5th badge (in Jp). Also Zygarde doesn't seem to be in the upcoming movie unlike Suicune, Rayquaza, Giratina, and Kyurem who appeared in a movie before their games came out), so 2017 for Gen VII, leaving 2018 for Kanto re-remakes.

2018 would be a good year for Gen 1 remakes. It would be the 20th anniversary of both Red/Blue's international release and Yellow's Japanese release.

You're missing the point. Revival Herbs don't have an equivalent. You can't normally buy Max Revives.

I usually don't buy Energypowders or whatever they're called, because the happiness penalty isn't worth the discount. But I like Revival Herbs because they can be lifesavers in battle. It's much different to heal full HP than to heal half HP. Max Revives are limited and I don't like spending them, otherwise I'd use them instead.

What's so hard about just using a Revive + a healing item? Plus, fainting, alone, decreases happiness, so the last thing you want to do is sink it even lower with a Revival Herb.

Of course, you wouldn't need Revives, period, if you kept your team at adequate levels and didn't constantly play 10 below the curve. Granted, exploders/crits/Wobbuffets happen, but you're still safer when you're slightly overleveled.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • What's so hard about just using a Revive + a healing item? Plus, fainting, alone, decreases happiness, so the last thing you want to do is sink it even lower with a Revival Herb.

Of course, you wouldn't need Revives, period, if you kept your team at adequate levels and didn't constantly play 10 below the curve. Granted, exploders/crits/Wobbuffets happen, but you're still safer when you're slightly overleveled.

Takes two turns in battle.

Why are you hitting at me for playing underleveled? FYI I only play underleveled in games that have level spikes, like the first two gens. {XD} It's very, very hard to reach L50 in GSC before the E4, and believe me, I tried. Search my posts in the Unova travel journal thread for an idea of how I usually play. I'm pretty sure in my aborted Platinum run I was very overleveled, too.

Not to mention certain opponents are difficult even if you grind. In Black 2 I was beyond Iris' levels and I still had to play carefully because if you let Haxorus set up you lose.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Takes two turns in battle.

Bleh, I only use that stuff outside of battle. You can always use an HM Slave as a meatshield if you must.

Why are you hitting at me for playing underleveled? FYI I only play underleveled in games that have level spikes, like the first two gens. {XD} It's very, very hard to reach L50 in GSC before the E4, and believe me, I tried.

Which is why you grind like crazy, even if it takes forever. You can do it at high speed if you're using an emulator.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Which is why you grind like crazy, even if it takes forever. You can do it at high speed if you're using an emulator.

You're more cautious than Lt. Surge. :P

The player has an important advantage over the AI: his/her Pokémon earn Stat Exp.. Enemies have no Stat Exp. so they're weaker. You don't have to be at their level to win. Chances are you reach their stats as low as 15 levels below them. Post 3rd gen it's riskier to do it underleveled because you have less stat advantage over the opponents, but post 3rd gen there are easier and easier ways to grind, too, so it isn't a big loss.

True, you can use turbo on emulators, but that's borderline cheating and not very fun. :P Though even GF realized how grindy Pokémon can be when they gave us the Dodrio tower in the Stadium games. I have a rule of only using turbo when grinding and hatching eggs (even then I'd rather use AR codes to hatch eggs faster).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The player has an important advantage over the AI: his/her Pokémon earn Stat Exp.. Enemies have no Stat Exp. so they're weaker. You don't have to be at their level to win. Chances are you reach their stats as low as 15 levels below them.

It's also possible to beat the game with a Magikarp, but that doesn't make it fun or enjoyable.

True, you can use turbo on emulators, but that's borderline cheating and not very fun. :P Though even GF realized how grindy Pokémon can be when they gave us the Dodrio tower in the Stadium games. I have a rule of only using turbo when grinding and hatching eggs (even then I'd rather use AR codes to hatch eggs faster).

Dodrio Tower is exactly why I don't consider turbo to be cheating, because that's exactly all it is. Definitely not the same thing as, say... using AR codes. ;)

mew_nani

Years
  • You're missing the point. Revival Herbs don't have an equivalent. You can't normally buy Max Revives.

It's annoying that they add a -20 penalty to happiness, but I don't usually need them, so it doesn't affect me too much. Also, you absolutely shouldn't use them on Pokémon like Golbat which evolve by happiness.

I really wish they revamped the happiness system, to have bad happiness have an effect (not always negative, otherwise there would be no point). Pokémon-Amie was a good start, but it coexists with the old, outdated happiness system.
    You can farm Max Revives if you have a full team with Pickup; they're still rare but much more common than rare berries or TMs. Just get a full team of Linoone or Meowth or another Pokemon with the Pickup ability and have at it.

About Revival Herbs though, you're still using up more money than necessary. If you're doing badly and you use either a Revive or a Revival Herb and your opponent is 15 levels above you you're still getting one-shotted, and most of the time you won't have to use them because a regular Revive will do. You might as well just farm Max Revives; they're cheaper to obtain and you also have the chance of getting items you can sell for cash like vitamins and Nuggets.

Finally, with Pokemon Amie they should have just included that much earlier and mixed it in with the happiness mechanic. The name literally means Pokemon Friend, which is the entire point of the happiness mechanic; bonding with your Pokemon. I know they wanted to include new ways of evolving Pokemon (and had to mix in Sylveon's evolution with Espeon's,) but it's just redundant. All the added effects like surviving an attack that would normally be fatal and shrugging off status effects so you don't have to worry about them is the high pinnacle of friendship; something the happiness mechanic should have embodied from the start. After all the entire goal is to become a bunch of true companions, and guess how you befriend an animal? Feeding them, petting them where it feels good, playing games with them... and the end result is they like you and are extremely happy. You can't just be fond of somebody and hate them at the same time, and that's actually possible with Pokemon Amie because happiness and affection aren't tied together. You can have a Pokemon with a happiness of 0 and a very high affection rating at the same time. What the fudge?

But back on topic, while I know Red and Blue badly need a re-remake, I'm not entirely sure they should make one. Sure they might update Kanto and add things it direly needs... but you know they're gonna have everything evolve around Mega Evolution. That's just not something Kanto needs, especially with the bad guys just being the mafia and not trying to raise an ancient behemoth and murder everybody. They'll ruin Kanto like they did Hoenn, redesigning the protagonists and bad guys and adding things that don't belong in there while making things too easy. I'd love it if they did like they did with HGSS, updating the region while keeping everything the originals awesome, but that's just not gonna happen. Mega Evolution is the Mary Sue Mechanic of Pokemon, and they're just not gonna let it die while it's profitable.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • I would LOVE a Sinnoh Region Remake! Honestly, I didnt like the Pokemon introduced during Gen 4 (just didnt appeal to me) and back then I didnt have an eye for detail, but now I realized how diverse Sinnoh's environment is. A mountain range, forests, snow fields/plains, lakes, deserts. I would love to see them in more updated graphics. And hopefully this time Game Freak might add Player customizations in.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    But back on topic, while I know Red and Blue badly need a re-remake, I'm not entirely sure they should make one. Sure they might update Kanto and add things it direly needs... but you know they're gonna have everything evolve around Mega Evolution. That's just not something Kanto needs, especially with the bad guys just being the mafia and not trying to raise an ancient behemoth and murder everybody. They'll ruin Kanto like they did Hoenn, redesigning the protagonists and bad guys and adding things that don't belong in there while making things too easy. I'd love it if they did like they did with HGSS, updating the region while keeping everything the originals awesome, but that's just not gonna happen. Mega Evolution is the Mary Sue Mechanic of Pokemon, and they're just not gonna let it die while it's profitable.

It's a shame that they didn't wait and remake Gen 1 on the DS, instead. I think one reason why HGSS were so good was because there was a lot of nostalgia going around for GSC at the time, so there was more of a drive to make a quality game. FRLG, on the other hand, came out only 5 or so years after RBY (so there was little nostalgia at the time) and were made for the strictly utilitarian purpose of Dex completion rather than as a favor to fans, so GF felt they could just crap out a 16 bit clone of the originals and call it a day. The more limited technology of the GBA also held the games back in comparison to HGSS, which got to be on the far more powerful DS and reaped most of its benefits.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think it was more that GF didn't push the GBA to it's limits. The only devices they've pushed to the limit have been the GB (Gen I and GS) and DS (Gen V). FrLg could've looked like the GBA hacks if done right. Also first time remakes in a franchise tend to be more similar to their original counterparts (OoT 3D is more similar to the original compared to Majora's Mask according to those who played the originals) so it may have ended up the same but better looking on the DS...oh but so long as it would've been in 2008/9 as DP were slow...

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Exactly. As old as Diamond is, you can still play it on the newest handheld, and it also has a reasonably more up-to-date version in the form of Platinum. No, it doesn't have Fairies, Megas, or functioning wi-fi, but it still has a P/S Split, relatively modern movepools, a modern AI, and semi-3D graphics that have aged fairly well.

FireRed, on the other hand, has none of those things. In fact, it's even missing many features that GSC and RSE had, like a clock. The game's more than a decade old, and it looks and feels like it, even if it is a remake, itself.

No, this isn't to say that DPP won't eventually get their remakes, but they'll have to wait their turn. Older games take priority over newer ones, so RBY/FRLG is next in line, like it or not.

I'm always sketchy about another Kanto remake actually being possible until I hear something from you. :/ How do you do that??
    Anyhow, I would want a DP remake of course, Sinnoh is my least favorite region(NOT HATED just least favorite) and a speed boost+no pc glitch would be nice!
    As I've stated before, I think an anniversary Yellow 3DS remake would be absolutely stunning. thinking more about it now, my younger brothers who are deeply into the anime(so much so that one of them gets on my white game and plays in the battle subway so he can fight with 'ash' against people) would just die over getting Pikachu and beating Jessie and James on a 3DS system. (Of course even thoigh I have Yellow hey remakes amiright)
    But I'd think a DP Gen VII remake would be called for.
    I don't want to sound overly ride or anything but it always annoys me that people say stuff similar to "oh well black and white were different so now everything else will be too" because BW was a reboot to the series. It had 100+ of it's own Pokemon like Kanto had. It had a newer theme that didn't fit with the others. It had been placed on a new real life location(New York instead of Japan). It had a villain that was DEFINATELY not a typical Pokemon villain. So of course it would be different and use a different Gen system, it got two sequels instead of a 3rd version like everyone predicted. Mostly this is pointed at "X2Y2" but someone said Gen V was Hoenn's rightful remake place, but it couldn't be if Unova was separated from the other Regions. How could it be?

mew_nani

Years
  • I'm always sketchy about another Kanto remake actually being possible until I hear something from you. :/ How do you do that??
    Anyhow, I would want a DP remake of course, Sinnoh is my least favorite region(NOT HATED just least favorite) and a speed boost+no pc glitch would be nice!
    As I've stated before, I think an anniversary Yellow 3DS remake would be absolutely stunning. thinking more about it now, my younger brothers who are deeply into the anime(so much so that one of them gets on my white game and plays in the battle subway so he can fight with 'ash' against people) would just die over getting Pikachu and beating Jessie and James on a 3DS system. (Of course even thoigh I have Yellow hey remakes amiright)
    But I'd think a DP Gen VII remake would be called for.
    I don't want to sound overly ride or anything but it always annoys me that people say stuff similar to "oh well black and white were different so now everything else will be too" because BW was a reboot to the series. It had 100+ of it's own Pokemon like Kanto had. It had a newer theme that didn't fit with the others. It had been placed on a new real life location(New York instead of Japan). It had a villain that was DEFINATELY not a typical Pokemon villain. So of course it would be different and use a different Gen system, it got two sequels instead of a 3rd version like everyone predicted. Mostly this is pointed at "X2Y2" but someone said Gen V was Hoenn's rightful remake place, but it couldn't be if Unova was separated from the other Regions. How could it be?
    It wasn't really meant to be a reboot, just something unique. For once you weren't just getting badges and beating the Elite Four, and the newer Pokemon being there is justified because Black and White are half a world away from the other four regions. Actually ORAS is more of a reboot than BW ever were, because reboots tend to erase the previous canon with something else, which is what ORAS partially did, while BW were just sequels to the other Pokemon games, not really retconning anything. And to be fair B2W2 weren't the first direct sequels ever made. People tend to forget Gold and Silver were direct sequels too, just taking place in a neighboring region instead of Kanto, and you even got to see Kanto after you beat the game.

But people say that because that was the first time in a while that Game Freak actually thought outside of the box. We had a faraway region, only new Pokemon being available, a more substantial storyline and the darkest team since Cipher. Then they made two direct sequels that expanded on the region and continued the storyline. Then after that they crawled back in the box and haven't gotten out since. X and Y were bland and ORAS got dangerously close to jumping the shark.

And as for a remake for RSE being unavailable because of Hoenn being so far away from Unova... that makes no sense. Kalos is even farther away.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • It wasn't really meant to be a reboot, just something unique. For once you weren't just getting badges and beating the Elite Four, and the newer Pokemon being there is justified because Black and White are half a world away from the other four regions. Actually ORAS is more of a reboot than BW ever were, because reboots tend to erase the previous canon with something else, which is what ORAS partially did, while BW were just sequels to the other Pokemon games, not really retconning anything. And to be fair B2W2 weren't the first direct sequels ever made. People tend to forget Gold and Silver were direct sequels too, just taking place in a neighboring region instead of Kanto, and you even got to see Kanto after you beat the game.

But people say that because that was the first time in a while that Game Freak actually thought outside of the box. We had a faraway region, only new Pokemon being available, a more substantial storyline and the darkest team since Cipher. Then they made two direct sequels that expanded on the region and continued the storyline. Then after that they crawled back in the box and haven't gotten out since. X and Y were bland and ORAS got dangerously close to jumping the shark.

And as for a remake for RSE being unavailable because of Hoenn being so far away from Unova... that makes no sense. Kalos is even farther away.

Yeah, but I was tired last night when I wrote that and couldn't think what I was trying tk say. ^~^ I agree though.

The RSE remakes wouldn't have been in Gen V games because Unova was supposed to be special and separate, so brining in a previous Region wouldn't make much sense. Even though the fact that previous Gen Pokemon appear in B2W2 kind of messes that up, it was still a separated Region.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • What remake would you like to see next?

Oh, that's the question? I thought it was about whether or not we should grind or who's right about what game they want remade. Opinions, am I right?

ANYWAY, I'd lIke to see Kanto again in some way. People say that they couldn't do it well because it's too vanilla, but I think they could alter it a bit if they really wanted to and make it really cool. Personally I don't think it should be 100% the same game over again anyway.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • XD and Colosseum are not even on my radar since they wouldn't actually be remade, they'd just be remastered ports like Wind Waker HD was.

With that said, although I love Pokemon remakes, if we really go past OR/AS, it all becomes very convoluted. Do they remake the first generation games again? Or do they remake D/P? Do they remake both? Do they have to remake the second generation games once again after that, if so?

Back