• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who needs a laptop? A tablet is enough for me!

Years
  • So who here owns a tablet? Whether it's an iPod or an Android Tablet, or even a tablet running Windows 8.1/RT, what do use a tablet for?

For those who don't own tablets, would you want to own a tablet? What are your reasons for not wanting to own a tablet?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I do!! I have an iPad, and I use it for just about everything. Mostly for writing and disability reasons too. I also use it to watch Netflix when I can't have the living room TV. Sometimes, I play games on it, but not very many. It's mostly Spongebob moves in, a couple Snoopy games and Magic Puzzles.

I love my iPad. I'd be nothing without it. For disability reasons, it helps me express myself using my written ability. I am able to tell my doctor and psychiatrist what's on my mind without the struggle of saying something verbally.

However, my sound is rather distorted and doesn't work as well as it used to. It's my second iPad, and it's also had it's screen replaced by someone too. I have a protective case on it to protect it from getting broken, and I hardly ever take it off.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    My Surface Pro is slowly replacing my laptop, it's just faster and does everything better, and it's way more portable. I still use my laptop to run games though, haven't tried that on the Surface yet.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • I don't have a tablet and don't recon I'll ever need one. I need something that can run executables so that I can play PC games, get work done with Office, edit photos with GIMP and Photoshop, and create digital art.

Tablets seem like a waste of money, especially with iPads being $300+, and you could get a nice laptop for that price that does way more. Heck, at the price of an iPad Air, you could build your own PC that can run almost any game and do pretty much anything that you could do on the aforementioned iPad Air, but better.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
    Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 3, 2019
    I use a HP Split X2. So I basically have a tablet whenever I need it. I would prefer an iPad as a tablet though, I only really use my laptop screen as a tablet when I am playing an electric tabletop game with friends.

Years
  • My Surface Pro is slowly replacing my laptop, it's just faster and does everything better, and it's way more portable. I still use my laptop to run games though, haven't tried that on the Surface yet.
    That's one thing I like about the Surface Pro, is the ability that it's Windows 8, and that you can run your programs if needed both at home and on the go. And the USB port I'm sure is handy as well.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I don't own a tablet because as of now, I don't have enough money for one. I'd like one, since it runs better than my iPhone when it comes to viewing the Internet, but I don't have enough money.

I've used my sister's Android tablet and it's really nice. I like how it's portable like a phone but its screen is bigger.

But all in all, I like laptops the best and since I have a laptop, it makes me feel like I don't need a tablet for the time being. But who knows? If I have some extra pocket cash lying around, I may put it towards a shiny new tablet.~

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I have an iPod which is currently laying on my bedside table flat haha. I don't any other kind of tablet though, I prefer laptops and PCs to be honest, despite the ergonomics of tablets.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Nope. Like Mark elaborated, they're quite pricy for something that can't even do half of what a PC can. Not to mention you have no access to any of the OS's files or its BIOS and such, meaning you're forced to use their operating system with their settings how they want. (Apple's naturally worse than the Surface on that.)

$650 is a hell of a lot to ask, and it's money I'd rather spend imaging a brand-new desktop with some sort of Linux, because frankly both Windows and OSX/iOS suck. Windows only holds a candle because some incredibly useful programs are bound to it.

Sir Codin

A tablet is an underpowered computer compared to a PC laptop and it also relies on stupid tap-and-pray touchscreen BS. Yes, I know you can get a keyboard for the abominable thing, but then you just have a laptop that costs more than a real one and has less power and capability than one. Plus, those keypads are small as hell, it would wear on my soul to try and write a term paper on one.

Tablets are also being used as oversized cameras by people the world over and it bugs the crap out of me. Don't be a jerk and put your tab away. The camera on iPad is, and I'm not kidding, even less powerful and clear than a cheap camera you could get in 1999.

Tablets are the worst. Especially the iPad and anything Apple ever makes. The only Apple product I have is a 5Gen iPod Touch and even then I hate myself for using it.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I'm looking at replacing my 3 year old laptop with a Surface Pro 3 for school (if I can make myself shell out the amount of money...) I have never owned a tablet, but from as far as I have used one, I see where it has its uses. For general consumption, watching movies, reading, browsing the web, I think that a tablet is a great device. But for writing more than a simple email, I would go for a physical keyboard instead. That is the main reason for me wanting a Surface, as the physical keyboard makes it a feasible replacement for a regular laptop in most laptop-usecases, while having the comfort and conveience for casual consumption of a tablet.

Years
  • I never planned to get a tablet, but when my 18th birthday rolled around, my Dad phoned me and asked me if I wanted one whilst I was half asleep and I said yes, so that's the story of how I got one just over a month ago.

Now, I have owned this laptop for 5 years. Hell, it's getting to the point where it's getting really slow, yet I always thought: "why buy a tablet if I have a laptop?" Well, I do not regret mistakenly saying yes to my Dad whilst I was half asleep. My laptop charger had just broken when I had gotten my tablet, so it took over for internet based things. I have a brand new charger now, and so I split my tablet and laptop in half in terms of activities:

Laptop:

- Writing and Homework.
    - Skype.
    - Foruming (it's just much easier on my laptop than tablet).
    - iTunes, mainly for updating my iPod with my latest music.

Tablet:

- Things when I am out, like taking notes when I am without my notepad.
    - Spotify- my unlimited music source. If I like an album, I'll download it to iTunes.
    - My brother downloads movies and shows, so he puts them on my tablet for me to watch when I'm out or in my room at night.
    - Netflix.
    - Social Media that isn't foruming, such as Tumblr. I have a phone that I use for Twitter often.

There are various other things, but I guess that covers it!

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I don't own a tablet, because I can't afford one, and I don't see the point of having one myself. Anything I do on a laptop is something I can't imagine me doing it on a tablet: online gaming, toying around with image or audio editting, and even browsing many sites to get information for homework.

I know I have seen professors using tablets for legit purposes like research before, kudos to them being savvy, but I think I prefer to see the more amazing things that are produced from those with laptops.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    That's one thing I like about the Surface Pro, is the ability that it's Windows 8, and that you can run your programs if needed both at home and on the go. And the USB port I'm sure is handy as well.

Yeah, I definitely used it as 'just a tablet' for a pretty long time, but it continues to surprise me, how much it can actually do - like I downloaded Steam today and it's running Saint's Row The Third better than my laptop can. And it does it all quietly, which is more than I can say about my laptop, haha. Maybe it's just 'cause I have a terrible and old laptop. I do wish there was more than one USB port, I have to alternate between using my mouse and charging my phone with it.

Surface Pro 3 looks pretty awesome, too. It just feels wrong replacing my tablet so early, especially since it still works so well, or I'd definitely get one.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I do own a tablet. Sadly, though, I don't use it as much; for whatever I need, I mostly find myself utilizing either my phone or laptop. I personally haven't purchased this; it was given to me by a friend on my birthday. Last time I'd actually used it was about two months, while watching some movie. I'm glad that I have it, though; should something ever happen to my computer, this would help back me up.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • I'm looking at replacing my 3 year old laptop with a Surface Pro 3 for school (if I can make myself shell out the amount of money...)

I really do not advise you do this, especially when that thing is $799. You're just giving in to Microsoft's ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ - there's no way anything in that glorified tablet is worth the price you're paying for it (plus, you'll probably hate the OS, since Windows 8 is trash if you're trying to get work done at all). I would suggest just heading on over to NewEgg (link'd) and seeing what you can find in their touchscreen laptops (since I assume you want portability for convenience).

I mean, if you don't see anything you like, go right ahead and buy the Surface 3, but you'll regret it. One of my friends has one, and I can tell she already hates that she spent so much money on it. It's just overpriced because Microsoft thinks their innovative.

srinator

Most of the time I just use it to watch movies or sometimes I keep writing random stuff on notes like a diary. I play games surf net and probably everything else I do on a PC.

Years
  • The closest thing I own to a tablet is an iPod Touch, so it won't be replacing my laptop or PC any time soon. Besides, I'm just not good with devices that have a touch screen and nothing else. I would have spent about five minutes typing this out if I used a tablet.

Years
  • Lately, I've been using my Nexus 7 tablet more than my laptop. I guess it's because I have more time on-the-go than I do at home because of my more recent schedule. I could carry my laptop around with me to-and-from work, but what use would I have for that?

Back