• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who needs a laptop? A tablet is enough for me!

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
    you'll probably hate the OS, since Windows 8 is trash if you're trying to get work done at all

I love Windows 8 on my desktop. I really enjoy using the full-screen start menu, and I love the subtle changes that it offers over the technologically inferior Windows 7.

It's just overpriced because Microsoft thinks their innovative.

I don't really think that the overpriced-ness is that bad. This is a premium product, the top of the line amongst ultrabooks. If Apple had released this exact same product, nobody would have complained about the price.

As for Newegg, I only know that site too well... they have brilliant prices that are far under what I would have to pay for a similar computer here in Denmark, but the problem is that they only ship to America...

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    I don't have a tablet because for my hobby/job as a Sound Engineer I need a laptop or a desktop; a tablet doesn't have nowhere near the processor power, RAM, or memory I need to even think of running a DAW nor does it have the ability to upgrade to a better sound card which is mandatory as a Sound Engineer. A tablet also doesn't have a disk drive which is also mandatory, I'm just not sure if an external disk drive is compatible with a tablet to be used as an attachment. As a Sound Engineer I do music mixing, producing, and recording so I really need something with a lot of power and memory. My laptop has a 500 GB HD, with an dual core Intel 2.4GHz processor, and 4 GB or ram and that's barely enough for what I need. I really need to upgrade to 8 to run flawlessly. A tablet wont even install a professional DAW without Windows, and even then, it wont have the power to run it so it will just crash.

Last edited:

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    As for Newegg, I only know that site too well... they have brilliant prices that are far under what I would have to pay for a similar computer here in Denmark, but the problem is that they only ship to America...
    Apologies, I didn't bother to look at your location. However, I still think you can find something equal to or better than what you're going after, but for a lower price. I just don't want anyone to go off to buy something that is that expensive for no reason.

As for the Apple comment, I despise them as well and think Macs are awful for how pricy they are. The only thing I will ever buy that is Apple branded is iPods, and sometimes I regret that, too. The only thing their company does is prove that people will pay $200 extra for a fruit logo on the back of their device.

Last edited:

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
    We have a tablet but I generally use my laptop since I can do more stuff that I need in there. If I do get a tablet of my own though, it'd be a graphics tablet >w<

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    So who here owns a tablet? Whether it's an iPod or an Android Tablet, or even a tablet running Windows 8.1/RT, what do use a tablet for?

For those who don't own tablets, would you want to own a tablet? What are your reasons for not wanting to own a tablet?
    I already have a laptop, a desktop, and a handheld computing device. A tablet would serve no additional useful purpose to me.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    No. I've worked with tablets before, and I am not impressed. For such a ridiculous price on something that has half the power a PC/laptop has, I'd much rather spend that kind of money on a computer.

Last edited:

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
    Years
    I can see the benefit of a tablet - they can be easier for quick notetaking, but a constant touchscreen when I'm doing coding? No thanks :/ Heck, I can find the touchpad irritating at times, a constant touchscreen would just make it worse...

To top it off, from what I've seen, tablets are, essentially, a one-time thing. As in, you've bought it, and when it gets outdated and you need more processing power, too bad. Without being able to replace components in them such as RAM, processor, storage? No thanks.

As for price, it greatly depends on what you need. Chromebooks clock in at around $300, so if you need a cheap laptop for notetaking, there you go. I believe you can also get Linux on it via the developer mode. But for something like gaming? A tablet really isn't gonna cut it.

(Note that any/all of the information here may be wrong, I'm typing this at something like 11 and im half asleep)

Sean

Years
    Nah, I'm satisfied with my laptop. It's a touchscreen laptop as well as having a keypad, and it serves all my needs that I need.

Plus I need a big screen, too used to them. Not here for small screens

Years
    I have a tablet, though i would prefer a laptop. I got a tablet cause my relatives mistook a tablet with a keyboard for a laptop, and gifted me it for the church confirmation. But it's better than nothing.

I mainly use my tablet for either a GBA emulator, or learning Ruby when i'm away. When i'm at home, i let my dad use it to browse internet with Wifi instead of going on my PC.

Years
    I'm not against using tablets, I just prefer laptops. There hasn't been enough that makes them able to replace a computer, although the newest models are coming close. In a few years, I'm sure they'll have a tablet with all the capabilities of a computer, but smaller and easier to transport, and that's when I'll buy it for myself. For now, I'm content without one.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I like having a keyboard and while I know you can buy attachable ones, it just seems like a waste. I'm so used to computers that I don't think I'd ever buy a tablet unless there was a huge reason for its purchase, which is nonexistent as of now.

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
    Years
    I prefer nether i like building my own small mechine for use. at the min
    x86 micro procsser with dual core
    a Battary pack 4 hours life
    a modifded motherboard
    a 60gB hard drive
    a tourch screen
    a Mobile Dongal
    and a dvd player cd drive on the back
    Size: 3ds XL size but thicker its about 5cm thick
    Capablity:Phone call,programing games(i play civ 4 on it)

Tablets in my mind are terrable with out an x86 runing wine to play a pc game near impossable

Back