• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    Hey if anyone can help me out with this problem I'd be extremely thankful. White inserting sprites I get this error "Bad LZ77 compressed data at 0x729c24"

Broly9990

This can be fixed with a little bit of editing with Nameless Sprite Editor version 2.0

You have to look for the sprite you added and edit it manually but it works. Hope this helped because I had the same problem that I fixed like this.

Broly9990

I had an Idea for this. What if there were an Add-on made to edit pokemon crys? it would make things SO much easier.

Years
  • I'm having trouble with adding pokemon. Everything goes alright with the GEN II suite thing, expanding, the sprites, editing moves, name, dex, and everything else. But I'll save it then go into the ROM but the pokemon won't be there. Also when I add the new pokemon Bulbasaur always ends up not knowing any moves. Really weird can anyone help me out?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I am not sure if this is already implemented, since I haven't download the latest one (if there are any), but I have a suggestion.

There's something about YAPE that made me wish is also in your tool...
    Your tool's PKMN moveset editor.

2vujvhf.jpg

In YAPE, we can just easily add new moves without the hassle of repointing and blahblahblah. It's the only reason why I still keep YAPE around, to be honest. :P
    Do you think it'll be a possible feature in your tool as well?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • karatekid is your sprite editor optimal right now cus I'm hearing from a few people that isn't quite there yet? Trying to insert sprite sheets and save but when I do I keep getting errors with the ini and random stuff like that when trying to repoint.

Years
  • What exactly did you do with your rom when this occurred? Like, from the time you opened G3HS until this point, what took place.

I have managed to fix it, it seems that after inserting the sprite finding freespace I was clicking yes when the next menu came up. After a while it would cause this error. So I guess it was my fault ahah :(

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • I am very sorry, but I kind of screwed up and merged a bunch of posts with mine. Forgot I had them checked when I went to merge a double post by me, so here they are. My bad guys:

Jonkane:
    Will you be making a tutorial for this program?

And can you send me a link to a hex editing tutorial for fire red as i cannot find one

Chaos 123:
    When i add new sprites they always end up being discolored. Help?

And the answers:

I have managed to fix it, it seems that after inserting the sprite finding freespace I was clicking yes when the next menu came up. After a while it would cause this error. So I guess it was my fault ahah :(

What was the next menu? If you can reproduce it, I will add it to the documentation to not do or find a way to prevent people from doing it.

Will you be making a tutorial for this program?

And can you send me a link to a hex editing tutorial for fire red as i cannot find one

I added some pretty serious documentation and everything is pretty clearly labeled.... What can't you figure out?

There is no tutorial because it is not something that can be taught. Hex editing is as simple as opening up HxD and loading you rom and changing a few bytes and clicking save. Now, what you want to accomplish with hex editing is the hard part. The specific things have tutorials, but nobody just hex edits a rom for the hell of it.

When i add new sprites they always end up being discolored. Help?

Okay, lesson on images: There are two sets of two sprites: a front sprite and a back sprite for normal, and the same pair for shiny. I'm sure you know that. Now, both normal sprites and both shiny sprites share the colors between the two images, meaning that the normal front sprite must use the exact same colors (in the same order too) as the back sprites. The colors are loaded from a thing called a palette. Here is an example of a 16 color palette:

[0-Bright Green][1-Blue][2-Light Blue][3-Crimson][4-orange][5-white][6-grey][7-teal][8-black][9-dark green][10-pink][11-yellow][12-dark grey][13- navy blue][14-silver][15-red]

Now, each color in the GBA format requires 2 bytes of data. An image is 64x64 pixels. If you saved each image with one color/pixel, that would be 64*64*2 bytes just to save an image. However, you can save space by using a palette, which is what the sprites do. Instead, each byte corresponds to two pixels of color. A byte is something like 0x5C. Okay? The first number, 5, corresponds to the 2nd (the one on the right if you load the image) pixel whereas C (if you don't understand hex, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1JtWKuTLR0) corresponds to the 1st pixel (the one on the left. Yes, I know it is flipped, that is just a computer thing). So now we can cut the data by a 4th by storing 2 colors/byte instead of 2 bytes/color.

Example: So, if I have a string of bytes, say 59 8F 62, then my color series will look like this:

9 5 | F 8 | 2 6

See how each byte flips?

Now, the game goes and checks your palette and replaces each number with that color when loading. So you will get pixels of color:

[9-dark green][5-white][15-red][8-black][2-Light Blue][6-grey]

Now, since both the front sprite and the back sprite in each set share the same colors, the order matters. When you load sprites separate, they may have different colors slightly or be in a different order. This causes the palette to become jumbled and the sprites start loading the wrong colors.

However, if you load them together, G3HS can usually optimize and get the colors right. To do that, follow this:

The easiest way to insert a sprite and avoid color issues is to look at Chaos Rush's resource. Download any image and open it in paint or some other image editor. Now, paste your sprites on top of it in the right spots. So paste the normal front sprite over the normal front sprite, etc. Now, save it as a png and go back into G3HS. On the sprite tab, click "Import sheet sprite" and open the sprite sheet you just made. The colors should be closer. If you want them to be perfect, make sure that each set of images shares the same background color exactly. Then, each set of images must use the exact same set of 15 (or less) colors. I mean exactly.

Good luck man. You just had a crash course in something that took me a month to figure out on my own:P

I am not sure if this is already implemented, since I haven't download the latest one (if there are any), but I have a suggestion.

There's something about YAPE that made me wish is also in your tool...
    Your tool's PKMN moveset editor.

2vujvhf.jpg

In YAPE, we can just easily add new moves without the hassle of repointing and blahblahblah. It's the only reason why I still keep YAPE around, to be honest. :P
    Do you think it'll be a possible feature in your tool as well?

But in YAPE, you have to DELETE moves from a different pokemon..... That isn't good, unless you want to do messy hex editing and ini editing to change that.;)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I am very sorry, but I kind of screwed up and merged a bunch of posts with mine. Forgot I had them checked when I went to merge a double post by me, so here they are. My bad guys
    I was really really REALLY confused when i got a notification from you, but I quoted someone else. -,-

But in YAPE, you have to DELETE moves from a different pokemon..... That isn't good, unless you want to do messy hex editing and ini editing to change that.;)

Well, after I repointed the learnset table, I can add new moves to PKMN in a breeze, and I love it. ^^
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2015
    What i cant figure out is how do i know what hex offsets edit the wild pokemon in the areas, because after ive added the pokemon i need to be able to make them wild otherwise they will just have to be in an event script.

Le pug

Years
  • like every two names i try to update in your tool, I get the whole repoint dex entry window pop up... if i click an offset, it gives that error i sent you in VM. and cant close it out... have to end the process ..

EDIT: its when i move the pokemon's position.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    I'm just wondering if it is possible to change the position of Pokemon in the Pokedex using this tool?

Le pug

Years
  • Here's another error for ya. Got it when I was just editing pokemon stats. Heard a ding sound whenever I was choosing Intimidate for the first ability.

Spoiler:

karatekid552

Years
  • Hey guys, so I am finding myself swamped with schoolwork and I am not sure how much time, if any, I will have to actually work on this. I would love to continue the project, but school comes first. However, I do not want this project to die. If anyone knows Python well and would like to take up where I left off, I would be happy to grant Repo access and answer any questions they have. The only thing I would ask of them is if they want to clean the code (which is something that needs to be done) that it does not remove functionality. For example, there have been a few coders that have sent me better variations on how to load text from the rom, however they do not support the multi character things like [Poke] that are very important. Changes like that won't happen because it removes functionality. Other than that, any new coding would be greatly appreciated. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Sucks to see you go :( on other news, will future versions of MrDollSteaks decap/attack base be supported?

LxNightWalker

Sniper of The Year
    Years
  • The tool is great, but there's only one problem. I can't run it with MrDollSteak's decap rom.
    I know, look at the documentation. But I can't find it there.
    Can you help me?

karatekid552

Years
  • Sucks to see you go :( on other news, will future versions of MrDollSteaks decap/attack base be supported?

I'll still be here, I just don't have time to work on it right now. The next version of his rom base will require ini changes, but it should still work.

For the guy below you, search this thread, I have answered it a 100 times.

Years
  • Hey guys, so I am finding myself swamped with schoolwork and I am not sure how much time, if any, I will have to actually work on this. I would love to continue the project, but school comes first. However, I do not want this project to die. If anyone knows Python well and would like to take up where I left off, I would be happy to grant Repo access and answer any questions they have. The only thing I would ask of them is if they want to clean the code (which is something that needs to be done) that it does not remove functionality. For example, there have been a few coders that have sent me better variations on how to load text from the rom, however they do not support the multi character things like [Poke] that are very important. Changes like that won't happen because it removes functionality. Other than that, any new coding would be greatly appreciated. Send me a pm if you are interested.
    I hope this project dont die but like you said School if first!

Back