• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you racist?

Racist y/n?

• Yes

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 80.7%

• Total voters

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
  • LOL. Nobody actually do that though, it just takes one highly sensitive member of h-staff and this thread is dead on sight.

I don't believe I'm racist. I'm drawn to people who share common traits with me, and they often are nerdy white people. Growing up though, some of my best friends were a different race. It was their kindness and interests that caused me to gravitate towards them.

Years
  • There is some mention in this thread about innate or biological racism.

One thing to keep in mind, genocide occurs in nature. Geno (genome or species) Cide (Extermination). Ants will enslave other ants and indoctrinate through chemical warfare to protect their anthill and queen. Ants, birds, chimps, and humans alike possess the biological kin recognition mechanisms to divide conquer or out-forage other sub-species in order to further their own kind. Essentially, those organisms with weaker kin-recognition mechanism tend to procreate less, and therefore, surviving social creatures tend to possess these mechanisms -- such as humans.

Humans that were best able to distinguish members within their own small gathering bands were more likely to procreate. Thus, modern humans possess these mechanisms. They manifest in comparing ourselves with others and forming association or avoiding them. Racial differences are easily and instantaneously observable, unlike personality traits, creeds, or family backgrounds which play a role in how we form opinions of other persons.

Without thought, a person who looks like us will tend to have a better image in comparison to a similar person who doesn't look like us. I'd postulate, if we were to conduct a study, in which toddlers received no adult interaction in a walled lab area, they would tend to have a more positive association among other toddlers of similar skin tones and facial distinctions.

But, I cannot know this, aside from the MANY ethical issues it would be interesting to observe a study of this nature.

Racism isn't totally manufactured by "society" alone, in fact, society is manufactured by our nature, as well as environment. Environment being, any social interactions, experiences, resources, events in our lives, ect.

If anything, as humans, we indoctrinate each other, in many western societies to prejudge others based on beliefs and lifestyles. Which is more logical than using race as a prejudgement in forming associations, such as friendships, though there are certainly lingering attitudes, consious or subconcious that affect how we approach others. These are more "logical" in that they better serve kin-recognition, since, we tend to have similar vested interests with those who share similar ideals/lifestyles as opposed to race alone.

That is why I do have an issue when coalitions formed by race, sexuality, ect. Then again, political and social structures reinforce social segregation in that blacks or gays tend to have similar vested interests. These shared interests support the idea that innate qualities should govern our prejudgements on forming associations. Thus, leading to more self-elected segregated communities and less social harmonization (rather increased polarity).

Oh know, I promised I wouldn't do a huge ramble on my first week of returning to PC.

Oops, sorry.

Years
  • I am sure a lot of the things I say irl are pretty racist, but not outta hate. I only use racial slangs as a joke when others joke around with me using them. And if you ask for a racist joke I can provide those too.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I definitely praise Asians higher than any other races. Go Asians! =D

...in all seriousness, I don't care about races. Everybody is a human being and that's all there is to it for me. :/

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Well isn't that a modest proposal

[SMART JOKE]

No, I'm not racist. Honestly, I don't really care too much about race. I used to work with some pretty racist types though, and the area that I'm from also can be pretty racist. Thank goodness my parents are from some pretty varied backgrounds. lol. Here, let me put it this way. One time I mixed up a white guy for a black guy. Yeah. I'm really not good with faces. If there's anyone who's face blind, that's me, because holy **** I am bad with that ****. People get snitty when they say "oh my god white people are blind to colour" but I have modest/severe face blindness so I always am like, "UH GUYS I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH EVERYONE'S FACES LOL"

Speaking of blindness, I remember a blind friend of mine once asked me why people care so much about what Jesus's colour was. And he's got a good point - what does it matter what race Jesus was? He lived 2000 years ago and regardless of his colour he did things that still reciprocate today. The fact that he was able to touch people of all races shows that clearly it's not all that important.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I mean, I didn't even notice that there were different races until like 7th grade...
    But yeah, I don't consider myself racist.

I do take up some issue with the bastardization of Italian culture in NY (I'm Italian, and find it highly offensive)
    And I make Puerto Rican jokes with my Puerto Rican relatives.
    So... ?

Yukari

Definitely no. I view all people the same regardless of race.

Back