• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event: Pokémon Puzzle Parade - Puzzle thread #2

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
  • 20px-Psychic-attack.png
    Information
    First round's over, round 2 has begun! Check out the main thread to see what you've scored in round 1.
    The riddles appeared to be harder than I expected, this week puzzles should be easier, it's all about numbers! It second puzzle used to be a nonogram puzzle, but I figured that it possibly would've been to hard, so I switched it around with the current one, but I wasn't able to picture picture the hint again, so it will be PM'd if you solve the puzzle. Enough talk from my side, let's get on to the puzzles, shall we? Good luck!

You have till September 13th (next Sunday) 7PM UTC to send in answers.
    -Lycan

20px-Psychic-attack.png
    Puzzle 3: Shiny puzzle
    Out of the nineteen Pokémon in the image below, how many are shiny?
    Sending in the right number will give you a hint in return!

uHFynaP.png
    20px-Psychic-attack.png
    Puzzle #4: Connect the dots
    Connect the given coordinates in the grid by straight lines to make a picture out of it. "(12;9)" means horizontal 12 and vertical 9. Send in an image of the picture and tell me what's on it to get the full amount of points. If you do it correctly, you win a hint.

Spoiler: Coordinates
    (15;4)
    (12;9)
    (9;11)
    (8;13)
    (4;15)
    (5;16)
    (3;18)
    (1;19)
    (7;19)
    (6;17)
    (9;14)
    (13;16)
    (12;17)
    (12;18)
    (13;19)
    (15;19)
    (17;16)
    (21;18)
    (18;21)
    (26;26)
    (22;20)
    (24;18)
    (19;14)
    (18;10)
    (16;8)

Spoiler: Grid
    dSFlzkt.png

Last edited:

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I totally would've preferred the nonogram puzzle at this point, lol.

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Hello, I found out I shouldn't be doing these things at 10 PM, I badly screwed up the Connect the Dots puzzle. First of all, it seems I can't even properly read my own handwriting, as I misspelled (13;16) as (13;10). (It's bold in the list.) Secondly I reversed the y-axis, it should be counting up going down. If you happen to have already started or even finished (sorry Strider...), you could rotate the image 180° and still get a clear view.

My apologies for the inconvenience. It hope this solves the problems regarding the puzzle. (If more people are interested, I might switch one of the puzzles later around for a nonogram.)

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Hello, I found out I shouldn't be doing these things at 10 PM, I badly screwed up the Connect the Dots puzzle. First of all, it seems I can't even properly read my own handwriting, as I misspelled (13;16) as (13;10). (It's bold in the list.) Secondly I reversed the y-axis, it should be counting up going down. If you happen to have already started or even finished (sorry Strider...), you could rotate the image 180° and still get a clear view.
    That wasn't surprise for me because I had noticed earlier that you seem to somehow screwed up the shiny puzzle, the colors of the sprites in that pic don't match with the colors of real sprites (I used sprites from Bulbapedia for the comparison), I tested that with GIMP's color picker tool. That makes Kangaskhan and especially Abra being harder to recognize. I'll send my answers after you've explained why there are those color differences.

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

Years
  • That wasn't surprise for me because I had noticed earlier that you seem to somehow screwed up the shiny puzzle, the colors of the sprites in that pic don't match with the colors of real sprites (I used sprites from Bulbapedia for the comparison), I tested that with GIMP's color picker tool. That makes Kangaskhan and especially Abra being harder to recognize. I'll send my answers after you've explained why there are those color differences.

That's strange. I used this site as sprite resource, that might have caused a slight difference. I have no idea what else could've gone wrong.

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Tested, it couldn't be causde by that because those sprites are same as in Bulbapedia since the color differences were same.

I just copied the images, so I have no idea what could be the cause. However, some people have already sent in answers based on the image and many of them even got the correct answer, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, I hope. I suggest you just use your eyes and see which of the two fits best. Luckily this is the only puzzle based on colors in the Parade.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • I just copied the images, so I have no idea what could be the cause. However, some people have already sent in answers based on the image and many of them even got the correct answer, so it shouldn't be much of a problem, I hope. I suggest you just use your eyes and see which of the two fits best. Luckily this is the only puzzle based on colors in the Parade.

I'm no expert, but sometimes when you save an image on an image-editing software, the colors may change depending on your export (or compression) settings. But again, I'm definitely not an expert at this, so I can't guarantee that this is the most accurate answer. :(

Lycanthropy

Years
  • Tested, it couldn't be causde by that because those sprites are same as in Bulbapedia since the color differences were same.

Alright, now I got access to my laptop again I tried to compile it again with some different parameters, but it didn't show any difference. I used GIMP's color picker to check ou t the problem, but to me the colors match perfectly. The only thing I can think of is that you might have compared it to the wrong sprites, could that be? I used the sprites from BW, which share a big similarity to Platinum's but sometimes use slightly different palettes.
    I hope this helps, or else I have absolutely no idea and all I can do is apologize again.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I'm no expert, but sometimes when you save an image on an image-editing software, the colors may change depending on your export (or compression) settings. But again, I'm definitely not an expert at this, so I can't guarantee that this is the most accurate answer. :(

This is correct! From experience I'd say that saving it as a .png file like Han did isn't the best idea. I'm pretty sure saving it as a .bmp keeps the colours pretty much the same, I might be wrong though.

Lycanthropy

Years
  • 20px-Psychic-attack.png
    Puzzle 3: Shiny puzzle - Answer
    uHFynaP.png

Eleven shiny Pokémon can be counted: Carnivine, Tropius, Kangaskhan, Munna, Crawdaunt, Grovyle, Boldore, Jynx, Shieldon, Dragonair and Abra.

20px-Psychic-attack.png
    Puzzle #4: Connect the dots - Answer
    Connecting the dots, gives you this picture. (I stole Revise Librarian's submission, because it looks a lot better than the sketch I made.) It's an image of Rotom!
    479.png

XsOx4aQ.png

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • I stole Revise Librarian's submission, because it looks a lot better than the sketch I made.
    IMO that was a bit unfair to other contestants because it gave him advantage in that puzzle. It's easier to recognize the char if you've made the pic yourself.

Lycanthropy

Years
  • IMO that was a bit unfair to other contestants because it gave him advantage in that puzzle. It's easier to recognize the char if you've made the pic yourself.

Err... no? I just put his there because Revise also drew the dots, whereas I only had the straight lines between the points. I've checked them thoroughly, don't you worry. Besides, he wasn't the only one who got it entirely correct.

Back