• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Hello, sorry about my lack of activity in recent weeks days. Real life has been getting the better of me. =/

The first post will be updated soon. If not today, then by Friday.

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Pokemon_Red-2.png

Pokemon Red: Current Team
Spr_1b_122.png

Marcel lvl 59 (Mr Mime)
Confusion
Barrier
Thunderbolt
Mega Punch​

Spr_1b_064.png

Carina lvl 56 (Kadabra)
Tri Attack
Toxic
Recover
Psychic​

Spr_1b_097.png

Annaliese lvl 57 (Hypno)
Headbutt
Hypnosis
Psychic
Confusion​

Spr_1b_121.png

Cass lvl 57 (Starmie)
Psychic
Surf
Recover
Blizzard​

• Travelled through Seafoam Islands
  • Made it to Cannibar, endlessly standing at the door of the Gym until I realised it was locked
  • Found Key from Pokemon Mansion
  • Beat Gym Leader
  • Travelled home and then to Viridian
  • Defeated Giovanni in the Gym
  • Travelled to Indigo League and faced Rival
  • Won
  • Almost thrust badges into Security Guard's skull. Seriously, just check the last badge not all of them.
  • Ventured through Victory Road, running out of PP
  • Faced Elite Four
  • Beat Lorelei with Mr Mime alone
  • Again beat Bruno with Mr Mime alone
  • Beat Agatha with Starmie
  • Beat Lance with Starmie and Alakazam (one casualty)
  • Revive and Restored all Pokemon
  • Beat Gary... Quite easily.
Starting Pokemon Gold Run (I did alot in the server down yesterday)

Pokemon_Gold.png

Current Pokemon Gold Team

Spr_2g_201.png

Puntz (Unown J) lvl 25
Hidden Power [DarK]​

Spr_2g_096.png

Smith (Drowzee) lvl 25
Headbutt
Confusion
Hypnosis
Disable​

Spr_2g_196.png

Alec (Espeon) lvl 25
Tackle
Quick Attack
Sand Attack
Growl​

Spr_2g_064.png

Sammy (Kadabra) lvl 25
Teleport
Confusion
Disable
Psybeam​

• Travelled to Ruins of Alph and got Unown
  • Grinded then defeated Faulkner​
  • Defeated Team Rocket​
  • Defeated Bugsy (got lucky with a crit)​
  • Defeated Rival AAA (accidently clicked okay)​
  • Travelled through Ilex Forest, helping idiotic apprentice​
  • Emerged, finding Drowzee and Abra​
  • Evolved Abra to Kadabra​
  • Defeated Whitney after grinding, gained Squirtbottle​
  • Defeated Sudowoodo and travelled to Ecruteak City​
  • Talked to Bob​
  • Travelled back to Goldenrod and got Eevee​
  • Walked around everywhere for a while and starting grinding it​
  • Evolved into Espeon​
...that's where i left off :)​

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
I'd like to register for this run :D
My games will be:
FireRed>SS>Emerald>Platinum>Black
My type will be Flying
This is actually my first challenge, so forgive me if I do anything Incorrect =]

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years

Pokemon_Gold-1.png

Current Pokemon Gold Team

Spr_2g_201.png

Puntz (Unown J) lvl 40
Hidden Power [DarK]​

Spr_2g_097.png

Smith (Hypno) lvl 40
Headbutt
Confusion
Hypnosis
Disable​

Spr_2g_196.png

Alec (Espeon) lvl 41
Tackle
Psybeam
Sand Attack
Shadow Ball​

Spr_2g_064.png

Sammy (Kadabra) lvl 40
Psychic
Confusion
Recover
Future Sight

Spr_2g_178.png

Carina (Xatu) lvl 43
Fly
Peck
Future Sight
Night Shade

Spr_2g_080.png

Annaliese (Slowbro) lvl 41
Surf
Headbutt
Water Gun
Confusion

• I can't be stuffed writing everything I did, so I caught some new pokemon and am now about to battle Claire

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
eugh, i finished pokemon gold up to Red.
but before i took screenshots i went for a toilet break and when i came back my sister started a new game. i raged >:| .

My team was around lvl 60. i don't have alot any proof but I'm starting Ruby now.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
Years
Sorry for not updating lately, just been pretty busy... But I will update pretty soon (either tonight or tomorrow).
Just letting you know that I haven't given up :P

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Okay, everything for the Ultimate Monotype Challenge is now updated. I'd like to congratulate tachikaze316 for completing the challenge, including the Isshu leg of the journey. :D

And in regards to everyone participating in the Single Game Monotype Challenges...those are not my, but rather myrrhman's department. He has been gone for nearly three weeks, but that's still an understatement when compared to my absense. So let's wait and see, for now.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
Years
Final Update:
  • Battled my way from Fortree to Lilycove city
  • Stopped off at the safari zone for a swatch, got bored quick and left
  • Reached Lilycove and battle May - easily won :p
  • Had to got to the Magma hideout, defeated Maxie
  • Went through the Aqua hideout and beat Archie
  • Went to Mossdeep, defeated the gym trainers and the twin gym leaders really easily with surf
  • Tag battled with Steven to beat the grunts
  • Went on a search for the Blue shard - traded it for a water stone and evolved Nathan into Ludicolo
  • Dove into the sea to find the Aqua hideout again and released thingy, the blue legendary (bad with names)
  • Found Sootopolis city - went into the cave place and spoke to Wallace
  • Went to Sky pillar and off flew whats-his-face..
  • Flew back to Sootopolis, spoke to Steven etc
  • Defeated the gym trainers & Juan with easy - Earthquake did the job. :)
  • Surfed to Ever Grande city, did some training & went through victory road
  • Grinded some more
  • Faced the pokemon league; Sidney & Pheobe were fairly easy, Glacia caused a bit of bother but I trudged through. I'm not going to lie, Drake was hard..
  • Wallace was okay, his pure waters were annoying but I managed to defeat him in the end :D
Team:
emesprani260.gif

Lucas/Swampert - L61
-Surf
-Take down
-Earthquake
-Muddy Water
emesprani279.gif

Haley/Pelipper - L59
-Ice beam
-Wing attack
-Fly
-Surf
emesprani272.gif

Nathan/Lombre - L59
-Surf
-Nature power
-Secret power
-Theif

Completed the challenge!

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Pokemon Ruby Psychic Challenge
PokemonRuby.png

Current Team

Spr_3r_280.png

Tami (Ralts) lvl 16 @ Oran Berry
Confusion
Growl
Double Team
Teleport
It took me that long to beat Roxanne, instead of using attacks straight out I had to strategize. Double Team + X Special finally worked. Not to mention having to level Ralts so it was ready for the battle. Being on the first gym hopefully Ralts will be better with a wider moveset.​

Saxisai

Unbeatable 3's-Unstopable Trio
Years
*UPDATE ON POKEMON CRYSTAL ULTIMATE POISON MONOTYPE CHALLENGE*

LAND OF DRAGONS
So I made it through the ICE PATH to BLACKTHORN CITY. I healed up, and headed towards the GYM. I fought my way through, using STRENGTH when needed, until I got to CLAIR.
Spoiler:

She put up a good fight, and I was expecting nothing more, since she IS the last GYM LEADER in JOHTO.
Spoiler:

Even though she lost, she refused to give me the RISING BADGE, and told me that I should take the DRAGON CHALLENGE or whatever to prove to her that I am worthy of competing at the INDIGO PLATEAU.
Spoiler:

I exited the GYM and surfed around back to find a cave, which led to the DRAGON'S DEN. I surfed around and diminished a whirlpool and entered the building within.

They asked me a series of questions, all which are shown with my answers below.
Spoiler:

The Dragon Master, which is what I am going to call him for this purpose, told me I cared deeply for POKEMON when CLAIR walked in, thinking I failed, but to her surprise, she found out that I...
Spoiler:

She had to hand over the RISING BADGE.
Spoiler:

Once I got outside, she ran back after me, to apologize and to give me the TM DRAGONBREATH, which she said had nothing to do with hers lol.
Spoiler:

And then I got a call from PROF. ELM telling me to come to his LAB as soon as I could.

THE ROAD TO INDIGO
PROF. ELM's reason for me to come to his lab was to give me an all famous MASTER BALL, which I will probably never use do to this challenge requiring POISON TYPES, which, there are none in GEN II.
Spoiler:

I left the LAB and started SURFING east, when I found land and a guy explaining that I took my "first steps into KANTO".
Spoiler:

After realizing that TOJHO FALLS needed someone with the move WATERFALL, and realizing that my TENTACRUEL couldn't learn WATERFALL, I went back to ROUTE 32 to catch a QUILFISH, a POISON/WATER TYPE, like TENTACRUEL, who can learn WATERFALL.

After negating the waterfalls and traveling the ROUTES of KANTO, I came across the gate to VICTORY ROAD, where I guy wasn't going to let me through because I didn't have the badges of JOHTO, which I proved him wrong.
Spoiler:

After traveling VICTORY ROAD, which was a LOT easier than GEN I's VR, I came across my old RIVAL, KAMON, BATTLED with him, and won.
Spoiler:

INDIGO PLATEAU
I finally made it to INDIGO PLATEAU, where I will face the ELITE FOUR, and win. But all this will be done tomorrow, because its 2:48 AM and I'm tired as crap. So what I leave you with now is a picture of me standing in front of the POKEMON LEAGUE looking "happy" lol.
Spoiler:

Progress So Far - Badges
40px-Zephyr_Badge.png
40px-Hive_Badge.png
40px-Plain_Badge.png
40px-Fog_Badge.png
40px-Storm_Badge.png
40px-Mineral_Badge.png
40px-Glacier_Badge.png
40px-Rising_Badge.png

Current Team
Spr_2c_093.gif

HAUNTER Lvl. 46
Shadow Ball
Lick
Dream Eater
Mean Look

Spr_2c_070.gif

WEEPINBELL Lvl. 33
Vine Whip
Acid
Cut
Sleep Powder

Spr_2c_168.gif

ARIADOS Lvl. 35
Poison Sting
Leech Life
Night Shade
Fury Swipes

Spr_2c_073.gif

TENTACRUEL Lvl. 36
Surf
Bubblebeam
Whirlpool
Acid

Spr_2c_049.gif

VENOMOTH Lvl. 32
Leech Life
Gust
Confusion
Poison Powder

Spr_2c_024.gif

ARBOK Lvl. 31
Wrap
Strength
Poison Sting
Bite

In PC:
CHIKORITA Lvl. 7
ODDISH Lvl. 15
KOFFING Lvl. 14
GOLBAT Lvl. 22
QUILFISH Lvl. 33

Years
Dragon UMC Update

I had to get off the computer in a hurry last time i played, so i didn't get a chance to update. What happened was, i defeated wallace with my high leveled pokemon, made my way through victory road, without flash once again. I demolished wally, and i beat the first member of the elite four, Sydney. Now, to continue the last part of my UMC...

Phoebe:
Phoebe was really easy. throughout most of the battle, i had snapper use crunch, except for sableye, where i had swan use dragon breath so i wouldnt become infatuated.

Glacia:
Glacia gave me some trouble. Salamander used brick break trhoughout the whole battle, basically.

I'll finish the rest soon, and i'll post my final team then.

Stormer

Espeon Trainer
Years
I would like to chllange a Monotype Platinum useing fighting types. Are eggs permitted?? It will be some time before I can start. I need to finsh my trio-species challage first.

Last edited:

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
Years
Update on my mono-Rock HGSS challenge:
- I went to Kanto with the boat
- I get my pokeflute to wake up Snorlax
- I get my ninth badge (Brock)
- I get my tenth badge (Mysty)
- I get my eleveth badge (Lt. Surge)

My team:
Golem - Lv 56
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Double-edge

Rhydon - Lv 57
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm
- Fire Blast

Sudowoodo - Lv 57
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Hammer Arm

Onix - Lv 57
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Corsola - Lv 57
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Mirror Coat

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
Years
  • Age 33
  • Iowa
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
I would like to sign up for the ultimate mono-type challenge using the Poison type. My order will be Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Ruby, Platinum, then either White or Black when they come out. I don't want to use emulators on this challenge. I'll start updating once I see my name on the challengers list.

P.S. This is my first challenge I've ever taken up on these forums so correct any mistakes that I make so I don't make them again please! :)

Saiddun Uzkha

Obsessed and Proud!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 26, 2011
I can't choose between doing a ghost mono, or a steel mono! PM me/ reply telling me which one you think would be better! Btw, This is for Pearl♥!

Ghostghostghostghostghostghostghostghostghostghostghostghost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun with ghost I think

Years
Final update for my Dragon UMC in the hoenn region.

Draco was easy. It only took a few dragon breaths from salamander to kill all of his pokemon.

Steven, was the hardest. I had to use toxic on everything that i could. Earthquake helped, like always, and so did steel wing

Hoenn is now finished...

My Final Team

Salamander/Salamence

Level 52

-Brick Break
-Dragon Breath
-Bite
-Headbutt
Having him in the begging made this so much easier. He basically swept through everything. The only time he was very useful was against steven, but thats only one fight.

Swan/Altaria

Level 51

-Fly
-Steel Wing
-Dragon Breath
-Dragon Dance

Swan was one of the pokemon i was excited about using. But after i gave her fly, it kinda killed the mood. I always end up giving one of my team members fly, but oh well. She was useful throughout most of the game.

Snapper/Flygon

Level 51

-Crunch
-Toxic
-Dragon Breath
-Earthquake

Snapper wasn't very useful throughout this run. It may be the fact that he kinda got a late start, but still. He was useful in the end, but any of my pokes could learn toxic and earthquake.

Still no immediate sign of me getting platinum. I'm hoping i get a hob and then i can buy it, but we'll just have to wait.. I'm going to do the Normal UMC next. I'll probably post the first update soon, since i am very bored.

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
Years
  • Age 33
  • Iowa
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
The Start of the Ultimate Journey

I decided to post my first update even though I haven't officially been accepted as a challenger. Anyone know how long it takes to update the list?

Name: Vega
Rival: Joraho

Starter: Bulbasaur (Odin)
He is really quite energetic!

My first battle with my rival's Charmander went well thanks to two critical hits in a row!

Route 1: Nothing interesting really, just gained a level from lower leveled wild pokemon.

Viridian City: Obtained the package for Oak, returned to Pallet Town to deliver it. Obtained my first set of Poke Balls as well as a Map.
Btw, every town in the first generation is named after a color yes? You could almost say a whole PALLET of colors......)

Current Team:
Bulbasaur (Odin)
Nature: Bold (meh)
Level: 9
Moveset: Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed

Route 22:
Went into battle agaisnt Joraho with my level 9 Odin. Pidgey went down easily, but slowly thanks to Odin's Bold nature. Charmander went down even more slowly thanks to it using growl most of the battle -_-.

Back in Viridian City: Watched the Old Man catch a stupid Weedle, then he gave me a free T.V.!

Route 2: Odin can KO most wild pokemon with a Vine Whip attack.

Viridian Forest: Gathered some items, trained against the Bug Catchers. Weedles and Kakunas were very annoying. I had to retreat about halfway through to go back to the Pokecenter to replenish my PP.

Pewter City: Healed and went straight to Brock.

Current Team:
Bulbasaur (Odin)
Level: 14
Moveset: Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Brock's lad went down and leveled Odin up, learned Sleep Powder, which I suspect will be useful later.

Gym Leader Brock: Two Vine Whips later I emerged victorious with my first badge and an Ivysaur.

Route 3: Passed around as many trainers I could so I could get to the grass patch and catch another team member, a Nidoran (Female). I nick-named her Hena and started training against the trainers I skipped before Mt. Moon.

Current Team:
Ivysaur (Odin)
Level: 18
Moveset: Tackle, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Vine Whip

Nidoran F (Hena)
Nature: Lonely
Level: 10
Moveset: Growl, Scratch, Tail Whip

Route 4: Healed up and headed to Mt. Moon!

Mt. Moon: First thing I did was catch the third member of my team, a Zubat and named him Nimbus. Then I explored the first floor, gathered items and trained against the trainers. Went down a lower level and faced off against a Team Rocket Grunt. Saved my progress and headed to work. See ya next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back