• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fallout 4

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Mainly because most of the novelty of these games is in their open world, so someone who starts with Fallout 4 might have their breath taken away, while you've already felt that before so it isn't really all that new. Because I certainly remember how much fun I head playing Oblivion for the first time, and I don't think any Open World RPG has matched that since (because it was certainly one of my first).

That is very true and might be why I have trouble getting into Fallout 4. I don't think it's been stripped like Battlefront has but there are some minor restrictions that the older games didn't have. Having said that, settlements are a welcome addition. I've had a lot of fun improving those :) That's where all my time has gone so far.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I currently have 42 active mods. Best part of Bethesda fallout by far. Bethesda does suck horribly at storytelling though (unless it involves politics). No one believed me when I said
    Spoiler:

I hope Obsidian takes the wheel on another spinoff. There's a great base, I mean Fallout 4 is a spectacular action game! It just sucks horribly at EVERYTHING else.

Also I do hope they stop with trying to make all the ballistic weapons look 'original' because the designs are horrible and impractical. No army is going to field a Vickers gun bolted to a 2x4. I don't care what alternate reality you are in! And don't get me started on the pipe-guns... I never thought I'd be longing for FO3's weapons again...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Fallout doesn't seem capable of holding my interest, and that goes for the entire series. Although admittedly I have spent very little time with 2 and none with 1, I imagine there must be a reason I stopped playing 2 shortly after starting, twice. Occasionally I'll get like "yeah, awesome!" about it and get pretty into Fallout and then just stop sometime later. I think I dislike its relatively self-conscious tone and/or sense of humour, but enjoy the narrative themes. The one I like most is New Vegas since it seems so... alive, I suppose, like everyone genuinely gives a shit in-universe for once.

I like FO4's soundtrack and not a whole lot else. The graphics look weird, like the same sort of low-res washed-out look Dishonored has, and in FO4's case it doesn't suit. I want to see that two centuries of accumilated grime in detail, damnit! The insanely limited and insufficiently labelled ME-style conversation options and voiced protagonist who rarely says what I expect and never says it how I would served to kill off my waning interest. I like the combat to an extent and, uh... that's pretty much it. Playing STALKER would be a better experience, considering that. I had no interest in the settlement thing to begin with, but perhaps I should give it a shot with a new character, since the idea of rebuilding society and establishing some manner of economy is actually a fairly interesting direction to take a post-apocalypse setting in a video game context (though, generally speaking, it makes perfect sense and isn't remarkable). I'll wait for patches, though. Also, small thing, but I can't help but notice how much more common pre-war money is in this game compared to previous ones. Strange, considering how its caps value has gone up.

Also I do hope they stop with trying to make all the ballistic weapons look 'original' because the designs are horrible and impractical. No army is going to field a Vickers gun bolted to a 2x4. I don't care what alternate reality you are in! And don't get me started on the pipe-guns... I never thought I'd be longing for FO3's weapons again...
    FO4's guns often share reload animations which bothers me especially because every gun is left-handed. If they think they need to animate left-handed weapons to put more on the screen, they need to watch the Dragunov reload from CoD4 on a loop and take notes. I remember reading on TvTropes once about how Obsidian did guns realistically (with regard to visual and sound design) well in NV because at least a couple of the guys worked with guns in the past, or something. Every time I think of the hunting shotgun I start missing it.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Fallout doesn't seem capable of holding my interest, and that goes for the entire series. Although admittedly I have spent very little time with 2 and none with 1, I imagine there must be a reason I stopped playing 2 shortly after starting, twice. Occasionally I'll get like "yeah, awesome!" about it and get pretty into Fallout and then just stop sometime later. I think I dislike its relatively self-conscious tone and/or sense of humour, but enjoy the narrative themes. The one I like most is New Vegas since it seems so... alive, I suppose, like everyone genuinely gives a **** in-universe for once.

I like FO4's soundtrack and not a whole lot else. The graphics look weird, like the same sort of low-res washed-out look Dishonored has, and in FO4's case it doesn't suit. I want to see that two centuries of accumilated grime in detail, damnit! The insanely limited and insufficiently labelled ME-style conversation options and voiced protagonist who rarely says what I expect and never says it how I would served to kill off my waning interest. I like the combat to an extent and, uh... that's pretty much it. Playing STALKER would be a better experience, considering that. I had no interest in the settlement thing to begin with, but perhaps I should give it a shot with a new character, since the idea of rebuilding society and establishing some manner of economy is actually a fairly interesting direction to take a post-apocalypse setting in a video game context (though, generally speaking, it makes perfect sense and isn't remarkable). I'll wait for patches, though. Also, small thing, but I can't help but notice how much more common pre-war money is in this game compared to previous ones. Strange, considering how its caps value has gone up.

FO4's guns often share reload animations which bothers me especially because every gun is left-handed. If they think they need to animate left-handed weapons to put more on the screen, they need to watch the Dragunov reload from CoD4 on a loop and take notes. I remember reading on TvTropes once about how Obsidian did guns realistically (with regard to visual and sound design) well in NV because at least a couple of the guys worked with guns in the past, or something. Every time I think of the hunting shotgun I start missing it.

Funny... I seem to be the only person alive who likes having a voiced protagonist and not having trouble with the dialog wheel as I seem to understand what I am going to say pretty well... I remember voiced lines being my number one wanted feature in Fallout 3 and New Vegas because it's always weird for me clicking on words and having the other party telepathically know what I am thinking. The writing does suck though. Would probably have better dialog if Obsidian wrote it...

On the weapon front I will trade the entire customization feature for FO4 to have the weapons of New Vegas. Hell, I'll trade it all just to be rid of the pipe-weapons. The best outcome would be New Vegas' (and FO3's) weapons with FO4's customization feature.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Funny... I seem to be the only person alive who likes having a voiced protagonist and not having trouble with the dialog wheel as I seem to understand what I am going to say pretty well... I remember voiced lines being my number one wanted feature in Fallout 3 and New Vegas because it's always weird for me clicking on words and having the other party telepathically know what I am thinking. The writing does suck though. Would probably have better dialog if Obsidian wrote it...

On the weapon front I will trade the entire customization feature for FO4 to have the weapons of New Vegas. Hell, I'll trade it all just to be rid of the pipe-weapons. The best outcome would be New Vegas' (and FO3's) weapons with FO4's customization feature.

Agreed with the pipe-weapons part. The first DLC didn't really help in that regard either. It added a cool Tesla gun which is nifty, but nothing too too extravagant.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of New Vegas, I will agree that the game did nail it with the weapon selection. I like the modding of weapons we can do in New Vegas, for the most part they are pretty generic.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Gonna do a deep dive on this game next week and try to play it every day. Have only played it three times since buying it, and haven't done much, if anything.

Sir Codin

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10267

The tl;dr version at number 13:

Fallout 4 is a serious game full of caricatures; it's a comedy game without any funny parts; it's a 100+ hour single player shooter; it's a treadmill of linear fetch and kill quests coupled with atrocious writing. It's a shallow and simplistic game that struggles to create an illusion of depth and variety. It is a lazy, nonsensical, and fundamentally dumb piece of design that offers nothing of interest to the discerning cRPG player. I regret every minute I wasted playing this game. There is nothing more to say.

That pretty much sums up what I've played in Fallout 4 thus far. I anticipated this game heavily and got burned badly, to the point that I'm honestly never going to buy another Bethesda-developed RPG ever again.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to play the vastly superior in every way Fallout: New Vegas.

Years
  • Fallout 4 looks great and I watched about the first hour or so of a stream of someone playing on release day. Looks pretty great to me and I'm sure I'd love it. So far out of 3 and New Vegas, NV is my favorite. Cannot wait to start working this summer to get a real PC.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Has anyone tried out the Wasteland Workshop DLC yet? I'm going to take a stab at it later today when I get some time, but I'm curious what people have thought of it thus far.

zevarius kerensky

i bid my timberwolf in defiance of yer claim!
    Years
  • tried out the wasteland workshop dlc, its quite intresting and adds some things mods already have in place >.> culda just put all this in as a simple patch and it still serve the same consept

not gona drone on about it, but, its pretty much a load of mods made official, such as the garden plots, label system, concrete structures etc... but fer console users, this is a godsend fer many settlements, or personal amusment

Sir Codin

They did add in that survival mode. That might add to your roleplaying experience.
    Not really seeing it. Took a look at what they're adding and most of it is just combat stuff. They might as well just ditch Intelligence and Charisma since they're railroading you into doing nothing but shoot stuff to complete missions.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I know about your monthly time limit, but I really didn't want to take the time to make a new thread and clutter up the forum. Fallout 4'shelter newest add-on hit today. The Vault-Tec DLC is pretty interesting so far and definitely worth a look.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Fallout 4 was honestly a huge, huge disappointment. From its lazy story to it'd disjointed settlement feature. The dialogue wheel was pointless and for those who completed it as more than one faction, the endings are so close that they make mass effect 3 look acceptable.

The combat was improved significantly but the rpg element is completely gone. No level cap makes S.P.E.C.I.A.L and themed characters pointless.

Companions were mostly good, as were some sidequests. Nick, Curie and Piper really stood out for me and actually felt like they belonged in Fallout. Deacon was quote interesting too.

Far Harbour was a significantly better Fallout game than the vanilla, and it was a relatively short DLC. But unlike the main game your choices actually mattered in FH.

All in all it was a pretty ok, sometimes good, first person shooter with minor rpg elements. It was a terrible fallout though.

Back