• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WiFi Shutdown May 20th

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Come May 20th Nintendo will shut down all wifi servers for DS and Wii games. This means no more wifi trading on Gens 4 and 5. As a result, everything relating to Gen 4 and 5 trading will be closed down here on PokeCommunity.

And now for the discussion part. How does this affect you? What will you do to cope with this? Discuss away!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Well for me, I had planned on migrating completely to gen 5 anyway. Most trading is there already. I can still clone my events all I want though, with my Save Dongle in my 5th gen games, so it doesn't affect me too much.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Aug 12, 2021
what?!?1/?!? ohh noo =( I have such amazing memories with Gen 4 Wi-Fi...I guess in a way it doesn't affect me since I did lose all my best pokes with the loss of my platinum cartridge...but still. No more awesome PBR battles, no more convenient trading with gen 4 only, nothing. It's a real shame that stuff like this happens to such awesome games throughout time, but such is life.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I only trade in Gen VI now, so the trading part does not affect me at all. It is Pokécheck that I will miss! D: I really need to get a save dongle for my DS games. Transferring from Gen IV to Gen V will be a pain too now. Pokécheck made everything easier. :(

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
I'm pretty much abandoning all my stuff on Pokecheck so this doesn't bug me really. I just gotta get one of my Ditto off Pokecheck so I can clone it if I ever need to. Yep.

UseTheRNGLuke

The RNG is strong in this one.
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I'm actually a fan of MKW... I hate Nintendo for doing this, Wi-Fi races were so fun even if I had hackers to deal with now and then. It's also a pain that I won't be able to use PC to help me migrate gen5-6 when my Pokebank runs out because I couldn't give them the pokes to send up. It also makes me think, one day X/Y will become old and empty just like DPPt and Nintendo will cut off 3DS access.

Last edited:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I'm a bit disappointed. Right now, my Black and White 2, as well as HGSS and Pearl, are in a pseudo-complete phase where I just restarted thus transferring over to X/Y is going to be a pain... I have to beat them all all over again in order to do any transferring between Gen IV->Gen V, and then Gen V->VI.

Also a bit too soon for people who just got White/Black 2! Not even two years old yet, and WiFi is cut. Blah.

Years
This was inevitable, unfortunately. At least Pokegen will be gone for good. (That is, until inevitably hackers make Pokegen for Gen VI available)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I'm a bit disappointed. Right now, my Black and White 2, as well as HGSS and Pearl, are in a pseudo-complete phase where I just restarted thus transferring over to X/Y is going to be a pain... I have to beat them all all over again in order to do any transferring between Gen IV->Gen V, and then Gen V->VI.

Also a bit too soon for people who just got White/Black 2! Not even two years old yet, and WiFi is cut. Blah.
I assume you mean because of Pokecheck? Otherwise I wouldn't see a problem. Losing the Pokecheck transfer system does kinda suck, but honestly I always thought moving Pokemon by GTS was super slow, and that it was easier to just use the in game transfer methods if you could.

As for BW2, well this was a Nintendo decision, not a Game Freak decision. :/ I think if they could, Game Freak would probably continue supporting the old games.
This was inevitable, unfortunately. At least Pokegen will be gone for good. (That is, until inevitably hackers make Pokegen for Gen VI available)
That doesn't really get rid of Pokegen unfortunately. People with Save Dongles can still hack Pokemon and transfer them to gen 6, sadly.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Well, thank goodness for PokeBank and Poketransporter. I transported everything from my Gen 5 team to all my Pokemon that I had breeded in the game. That game has nothing now, and they are all in my X game as well as inside PokeBank. So...I've pretty much moved on from the older games now.

However, my team in Soulsilver will be affected since I can't trade from Gen 4 to Gen 5, but I still have the same Pokemon team in X. So I'm not as bothered.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 21, 2014
I'm glad I came across this news hopefully I'll be able to get what I need before it's too late, also this doesn't mean that I'll no longer be able trade locally between Gen IV and Gen V right?

Years
I'm just relieved the DS Download Play is unaffected by the service. I did a test without use of the WiFi and I could successfully migrate pokemon from Gen 4 to Gen 5. My Groudon is proof as it was from Ruby.

It will be a shame to no longer use wifi trading/battles, but then again even Black is at least 2 years old.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
I disapprove. I live on wifi with my DS i don't want Nintendo to shut it down. Maybe they'll be nice and not shut it down.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
I disapprove. Nintendo's wifi is like a second world to me. I think that when they turn off wifi, they will turn it on again in a few days, because they will feel a little guilty. It really is a great place, where people meet new friends and brag about their 6/31 IV Pokemon. It's one of the few things that unite the gaming world. I understand that nintendo wifi is costly and such, but costumers pretty much pay for it anyways.

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
I assume you mean because of Pokecheck? Otherwise I wouldn't see a problem. Losing the Pokecheck transfer system does kinda suck, but honestly I always thought moving Pokemon by GTS was super slow, and that it was easier to just use the in game transfer methods if you could.

As for BW2, well this was a Nintendo decision, not a Game Freak decision. :/ I think if they could, Game Freak would probably continue supporting the old games.

That doesn't really get rid of Pokegen unfortunately. People with Save Dongles can still hack Pokemon and transfer them to gen 6, sadly.

I like how you guys talk like hacking is a bad thing (unless it's stuff like wondertomb).

But yeah man, I won't be playing online Pokemon until Christmas with this thing Nintendo is doing.

Pokebank will still work though, right? So I won't have to worry too much about that.

However iirc Pokebank does use some kind of anti-hack software, is it the same thing that keeps Pokemon from participating in the random matchup? If so, I'm screwed.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014

I like how you guys talk like hacking is a bad thing (unless it's stuff like wondertomb).

But yeah man, I won't be playing online Pokemon until Christmas with this thing Nintendo is doing.

Pokebank will still work though, right? So I won't have to worry too much about that.

However iirc Pokebank does use some kind of anti-hack software, is it the same thing that keeps Pokemon from participating in the random matchup? If so, I'm screwed.

Yes, because hacking is indeed a bad thing so they won't let them through. :D

Ruhn

Breeder
Years
but how can u be sure that the pokemon u get isn't hacked?

on the pokemon white version i had i traded much pokemon global via internet but until the new version get out i didn't know about how much of the legendaries i got - btw for legit catched legendaries and shinies - were hacked. nearly 30 of my legendaries were doomed to get deleted because they just trade them without thinking.
what i think is the miserable thing about that is for people who trade u their legit pokemon catched in the game (where the chance for getting shinies are low like hell) and maybe already trained them to lvl 100 u'll get basically nothing in return. it's unfair and moreover it's furstrating.

so how can u be sure u'll get on pokemon x/y legit pokemon. and what about cloning? i know that people did find out how to do it (and i have to admit i wouldn't have got the event legendaries without someone knowing how to clone). but isn't that problematic too?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
but how can u be sure that the pokemon u get isn't hacked?

on the pokemon white version i had i traded much pokemon global via internet but until the new version get out i didn't know about how much of the legendaries i got - btw for legit catched legendaries and shinies - were hacked. nearly 30 of my legendaries were doomed to get deleted because they just trade them without thinking.
what i think is the miserable thing about that is for people who trade u their legit pokemon catched in the game (where the chance for getting shinies are low like hell) and maybe already trained them to lvl 100 u'll get basically nothing in return. it's unfair and moreover it's furstrating.

so how can u be sure u'll get on pokemon x/y legit pokemon. and what about cloning? i know that people did find out how to do it (and i have to admit i wouldn't have got the event legendaries without someone knowing how to clone). but isn't that problematic too?
In previous generations you could use pokecheck to check if the Pokemon were hacked. In X&Y so far we can only hack check the Pokemon with the Kalos pentagon. Hopefully when pokecheck is updated for X&Y we can then use it like we have in previous generations.

Cloning is a problem when related to hacking. You could clone a hack and trade it around which has happened here and it's frustrating hunting them all down. As for cloning itself, there is a drawback because the trade value of Pokemon goes way down when you basically have an unlimited supply of them. But then you have generous people who can clone and they give away everything to others who can't. Cloning is not hacking and so cloning is allowed here.

Back