• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WiFi Shutdown May 20th

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
Years
I disapprove. Nintendo's wifi is like a second world to me. I think that when they turn off wifi, they will turn it on again in a few days, because they will feel a little guilty. It really is a great place, where people meet new friends and brag about their 6/31 IV Pokemon. It's one of the few things that unite the gaming world. I understand that nintendo wifi is costly and such, but costumers pretty much pay for it anyways.

They're moving on to newer games. Plus rarely do large companies feel guilty, as you're suggesting. It's more about money, and they'll have more money if they cut WIFI for 5 and lower. It's like saying, "It's ok that I drop a 20 dollar bill into the sewers each day on the way to work, because I make 40 dollars a day, so that pays for it."

Not practical in the money making world.

Years
It doesn't affect me personally since I have Y version, but other members of my family don't even have 3DSs so I feel for them, and everyone else that don't have 3DSs yet or 3DS games either, but I do know that eventually the 3DS will be obsolete as well as the Wii U so once Nintendo decides to do that we will probably have the newer systems and games.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Really saddens me to see this, honestly. :( Although I probably wouldn't be affected by it too much (rarely go online on these games anymore, soo), I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would. It's understandable why they're doing this, though. It might its downs, but hey, at least it would make people to stay up-to-date when it comes to playing Pokémon, so that's good!

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
From a trader's perspective it really sucks. I wonder why they couldn't they just disable the ones that weren't used as much? People still play Mario Kart DS and trade on Gen IV/V.

Personally it's a bit disappointing as I collected events on Gen V and now I can't. Pokecheck is going to pretty defunct for a while, at least until Gen VI support goes up (pfft) or if someone creates a fan server for it (double pfft). I still collect on Gen VI, but only events exclusive to Gen VI so it's not as fun :<

Plus due to the Powersaves and the lack of Pokecheck, it might be difficult to differentiate hacks and levit events :/

Years
I think for me, this will be a situation of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone'.
I haven't used gen 4 or 5 wifi for about 2 years now, but any bet as soon as they take it down, i'm going to want or need to use it shortly afterwards.

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
Years
Wow that's interesting i really liked gen V, and will this affect Dream World too from black and white beacuse that's wifi use too, hmm im going to miss it :-)

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Wow that's interesting i really liked gen V, and will this affect Dream World too from black and white beacuse that's wifi use too, hmm im going to miss it :-)
They already killed the Dream World a few months ago.

Blarg, my Wifi is encrypted, so boooo, gotta disable it if I wanna use that Pokecheck thing for anything.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
Years
  • Age 33
  • ny
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
I wasted 32 bucks last week then. I went to buy a used Black 2 from Gamestop to help fill out my pokedex in X, and it turns out a used Black 2 is only 8 bucks less than a brand new one which is 39.99 LOL. But that's not the problem here. I went with 50 bucks so I can buy a pre paid nintendo card to buy pokebank, turns out they only sell 20 dollar e-shop cards. so i got screwed over, and didn't get Pokebank. So in the end, I jsut grinded the GTS, and eventually completed my pokedex without the need of black 2 transfers -.-

Also, now this news..kinda hurts. Money dosen't come easy for me too, so this is what hurts the most, I really needed a new mouse so i can play league competitivly, but instead i chose to buy black 2, and now i hear it will be pretty much useless come may 20th. Sigh..

Well, I'll prolly try to get the shiny Dratini/Gible that alder gives out in black 2, or is that a event? I don't recall. It's prolly the only good thing that can come from this black 2.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I wasted 32 bucks last week then. I went to buy a used Black 2 from Gamestop to help fill out my pokedex in X, and it turns out a used Black 2 is only 8 bucks less than a brand new one which is 39.99 LOL. But that's not the problem here. I went with 50 bucks so I can buy a pre paid nintendo card to buy pokebank, turns out they only sell 20 dollar e-shop cards. so i got screwed over, and didn't get Pokebank. So in the end, I jsut grinded the GTS, and eventually completed my pokedex without the need of black 2 transfers -.-

Also, now this news..kinda hurts. Money dosen't come easy for me too, so this is what hurts the most, I really needed a new mouse so i can play league competitivly, but instead i chose to buy black 2, and now i hear it will be pretty much useless come may 20th. Sigh..

Well, I'll prolly try to get the shiny Dratini/Gible that alder gives out in black 2, or is that a event? I don't recall. It's prolly the only good thing that can come from this black 2.
The shiny Dratini/Gible is in game event and can be obtained anytime in the game once you reach the point in the game where you can obtain it. And B2 is not completely worthless. You can still play the game just to play it. :P

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
Years
  • Age 33
  • ny
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
The shiny Dratini/Gible is in game event and can be obtained anytime in the game once you reach the point in the game where you can obtain it. And B2 is not completely worthless. You can still play the game just to play it. :P

I guess..but idk. I beat black 2 when it first came out. It;s not like Crystal/Emerald where i can play for nostalig feelings too, and I also dislike the starters.

I do like the music and plot though.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
From a trader's perspective it really sucks. I wonder why they couldn't they just disable the ones that weren't used as much? People still play Mario Kart DS and trade on Gen IV/V.

Personally it's a bit disappointing as I collected events on Gen V and now I can't. Pokecheck is going to pretty defunct for a while, at least until Gen VI support goes up (pfft) or if someone creates a fan server for it (double pfft). I still collect on Gen VI, but only events exclusive to Gen VI so it's not as fun :<

Plus due to the Powersaves and the lack of Pokecheck, it might be difficult to differentiate hacks and levit events :/

This is completely out of Nintendo's hands.

Wi-Fi services for the DS and Wii were done through a partnership with the company GameSpy (along with a lot of other games from that time and even some big-name games that aren't very old). Recent news from GameSpy's parent company is that all games using their services will have the relevant online functions shut down by the end of May - which includes Nintendo DS and Wii Wi-Fi Connection.

Migrating existing DS and Wii games to the Nintendo Network or whatever would probably be prohibitively expensive considering that most people who are likely to play old titles online probably already own their copies, and also difficult if not impossible to do from a technical standpoint

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
This is completely out of Nintendo's hands.

Wi-Fi services for the DS and Wii were done through a partnership with the company GameSpy (along with a lot of other games from that time and even some big-name games that aren't very old). Recent news from GameSpy's parent company is that all games using their services will have the relevant online functions shut down by the end of May - which includes Nintendo DS and Wii Wi-Fi Connection.

Migrating existing DS and Wii games to the Nintendo Network or whatever would probably be prohibitively expensive considering that most people who are likely to play old titles online probably already own their copies, and also difficult if not impossible to do from a technical standpoint

Ah, I had no idea their servers were hosted by GameSpy. That makes a lot more sense then.

Years
i only trade with local friends to be honest. and it wont affect me at all because whenever i go on the gts i know why i avoid it. People want Lvl 9 Zekrom for their charmander seems right. i dosnt affect me at all

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
I'm just relieved the DS Download Play is unaffected by the service. I did a test without use of the WiFi and I could successfully migrate pokemon from Gen 4 to Gen 5. My Groudon is proof as it was from Ruby.

It will be a shame to no longer use wifi trading/battles, but then again even Black is at least 2 years old.

*huuuuuuuuge sigh of extreme relief* I am SO glad to know that a successful test worked for this. I have about 95% of 4th/5th gen games hardly touched on and just bought Leafgreen online when I found out about this shutdown. Have been racing to finish my 3rd/4th/5th games since then with no proof I could still transfer them ;w;

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
So now that there is no more wifi for DS games, how is everyone dealing with this?

Me, I'm just playing more XY and focusing more on collecting what I can there. Really miss Pokecheck, but I hope someday it'll be back.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
It doesn't affect me much at all really. I'm still playing XY like a madman though :3

Back