• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nereus

A Ubiquitous Element
Years
  • Tsutaja is my choice I really hope though that it becomes the first Grass/Dragon pokemon and the first Dragon starter though then it might be a little over powered though. But still, here's to hoping.

cadoskii

lazy trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    my favorite of the new starters is the pig fire thing because its a pig and i like pigs also the water one looks to much like piplup to me

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Ugh, I'm tired of not knowing their final typings and evolutions. Please let this "master document" contain them.

stickdynasty

Ruler of the Stick People
    Years
  • I'm really hoping that the water starter gets god-like stats when it evolves fully so everbody can be astonished on how dumb they thought the otter would be. But that won't happen XD

pikachux2

Never Evolve
    Years
  • it kind of suprises me that the grass starter is the one most popular i thought for sure pokabu because of the fire and the look.... i picked water btw

There were fakes a couple of weeks a go, the look pretty good now We have to hope the real evolutions are better.

i havent seen them do u have the link?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    i havent seen them do u have the link?
    This thread has a large collection of the fanart. And it's a smaller thread than this one.

Because we want pokabu to be a fire/fighting type again, yes?
    Two generations of the final Fire form being Fire/Fighting was not enough.

And I'm not being serious with this, in case everyone's sarcasm detector is broken. That, and Pokemon is always serious business.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Two generations of the final Fire form being Fire/Fighting was not enough.

And I'm not being serious with this, in case everyone's sarcasm detector is broken. That, and Pokemon is always serious business.

That's weird, I don't remember everyone going insane over how Sceptile was a mono grass like Meganium, or how Feraligatr was mono water after Blastoise.

You guys really shouldn't care if it's going to be a Fire/Fighting type or not. Sure I'll be annoyed if it happens, but I won't constantly ***** about how Gamefreak is soooo unoriginal and how they have to recycle types.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • That's weird, I don't remember everyone going insane over how Sceptile was a mono grass like Meganium, or how Feraligatr was mono water after Blastoise.

You guys really shouldn't care if it's going to be a Fire/Fighting type or not. Sure I'll be annoyed if it happens, but I won't constantly ***** about how Gamefreak is soooo unoriginal and how they have to recycle types.
    I personally like the combo of Fire/fighting and would like to see a non stater with that combo as well :)

Esper-chan

Mmmm... Crunchy! :D
    Years
  • Though i'm going to wait until the evolutions come out before finalising my deccision(sp?) I think i'll choose Tsutaaja.
    Though it's a tradition of mine to start off with the water type the first time around, something about the little grass snake appeals to me. So i might break away from tradition and go for the grass type. But i'm still a bit undecided.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    And neither would I. It wouldn't be the biggest deal ever if Pokabu's evolution was to repeat Blaziken and Infernape. Other people's complaints that Infernape was a Blaziken clone didn't stop me from using Infernape right after I played through Ruby with Blaziken as my starter.

Some people do, however, going to care about what Pokabu's final typing is. They cared about the D/P starters, and I'm sure that some cared before that about other starters. (I don't know. I wasn't online during those years.) They want to see something new this generation than what was repeated the last two times.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2010
    As for me i don't really like these new starters they're design seems simple and very childish(i know this is a game for everyone but still) anyway i think im going with cute water one as i like starting with water pokemon for some reason, anyway i hope its evolution forms are a lot better looking.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Mijumaru looks like it'll definitely become an ice type. Personally, I think it looks like a sole ice type already though. However, going by appearances since that's pretty much all we have right now, it's still an option for me.

Pokabu rubbed me the wrong way as soon as I saw it for the first time. It sort of looks like a smaller, red, vertical version of Grumpig. There's no chance that I'll be picking it for my first file.

Tsutaja is the first starter that I saw and instantly liked, right off the bat. It doesn't look like a snake to me, but its design is still great. From the information we have right now, I'll be choosing Tsutaja unless I like the evolutions of Mijumaru better than Tsutaja's. Unless they REALLY do something for Pokabu though, it's completely out of the equation for me.

Years
  • well in the first two generations I really liked the fire and water starters. charmander and totodile were awesome and squirtle and cyndaquil were really good too. bulbasaur was ok but I didn't really like chikorita.

then the third generation came and fire stated to die. torchic was meh. (blaziken was ok, but...)
    water still was ok, not as good, but mudkip was immune to electricity. but then there was the more common type, grass, that was very strong against it...
    grass started to shine because treeko was probably my favorite of the three kinda failing starters.

in generation four grass really came to the top because turtwig was awesome. I tried to like fire again but I hated chimchar. and I never even tried piplup because it was just, well...

so water sank to the bottom over the generations. grass rose to the top. fire...well I really like fire in general so I don't want to start to dislike it. but... anyways I really like snakes so I'll probably get tsutaja as my first starter in black/white.

[[but when I played hg/ss I ended up getting a female totodile so I bred and traded all the starters (of the first two generations) so I'll probably end up trying to get all 3 of the b/w starters :)]]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back