• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Students commit suicide

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
I wonder now if increasing awareness around mental health comes with some costs in spite of the benefits.

1) With increasing awareness, I feel there is a real drive to medicalize mental health. I think there are definite negatives to this. I think most people are aware that putting people through the "medical system" can be an alienating and not the most effective experience, but treating mental disorders as diseases will increase the association between mental disorders and traditional medical interventions - i.e. see a professional, heed their advice, take medication - to the detriment of a more holistic approach that includes engaging and creating social bonds. Going through the medical system and shoring up your "social healing network", so to speak, are by no means mutually exclusive, but I fear that people will increasingly see mental health as something that you exclusively have to go through the medical system to fix because that's the association they make.

2) I also fear how this awareness might affect people's sense of agency. I fear that people might come to see it as just a disease, as something that "happens" to you, that because it has a physiological basis, they'll treat it as if it was 100% physiological and there's nothing they can personally do except seek professional advice. I fear how this might impact those who already have weakened senses of agency and push them closer to mental disorder.

This is of course not to say that we should not increase awareness and society's readiness to improve mental health. But every action that an individual or a society takes has the potential for negative and unintended consequences. Even though it's insensitive for people to say "can't you just pull yourself out of it?", "you're doing this to yourself", "think positive, it's just a phase", each of those phrases are true in a very fundamental way. If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you have in some way pulled yourself out of it. If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you will look back and realize that it was just a phase. If you're currently going through a mental disorder - I don't enjoy saying this, but - it's plausible that some of your actions and thoughts contribute to the problem.

Mental health is already a complex issue in itself, and addressing and fixing it on a individual or societal level is more complex still. I think this demonstrates how important it is to be mindful of everything: not just of individuals and their lived experience, but also of the potential harms that our approaches and solutions might create and as well those nuggets of truth, even in things we don't like to hear. If there's anything I can say that we must do, it's that in our efforts to "demystify" and increase awareness and most importantly understanding, that we don't oversimplify and boil down what needs to be understood to the point that "increasing awareness" becomes counter-productive.
I might be misinterpreting your stance, but it sounds like you're saying that mental illness is something that can be controlled and even prevented by individuals, which is literally the kind of stigma I propose we must fight against. Based on my understanding, mental illness is physiologic, and there is concrete evidence showing that individuals with mental illness manifests biologically, such as brain scans. We also know that some mental illnesses, including depression, are hereditary, the same way other diseases are hereditary. So no, mental illness is not just "in your head," and that kind of thinking only contributes to the problem.

To address your points:
1) We need to medicalize mental health because mental illness are diseases and need to be treated as such. A great deal of the medical approach to mental illness includes seeing a therapist, psychiatrist and GP, and going on medications as necessary. Many therapists will emphasize non-medical aspects of mental health, such as creating strong social bonds and support network, and self-care. But schizophrenia cannot be managed with self-care alone, and to avoid getting help from trained professionals in dealing with it will only make things worse.

2) If you suffer from any ailment, seeing a professional who specializes in said ailment is literally the best way to help yourself. if you break your leg, then getting it treated must be your top priority - after all, once it's healed you will have far more agency than you did before. Your mental illness won't get worse by seeing a licensed professional. I do not see what this has to do with "agency."

If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you have in some way pulled yourself out of it. If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you will look back and realize that it was just a phase.
This is factually incorrect. Some people have phases of depression, that is true, this must be differentiated from people who struggle with depression daily for their entire lives. No amount of "positive thinking" can cure that. Depression comes in many forms, and it sounds like you believe that all depression is the former. Depression can be a lifelong illness just like schizophrenia.

This entire post pretty much proves the point I set out to make. There are so many misconceptions about mental illness, what causes it and how to "fix" it. We need to treat mental illness the same way we would treat any other illness, and understand just how complex it can be.

~Psychic

Years
I might be misinterpreting your stance, but it sounds like you're saying that mental illness is something that can be controlled and even prevented by individuals, which is literally the kind of stigma I propose we must fight against. Based on my understanding, mental illness is physiologic, and there is concrete evidence showing that individuals with mental illness manifests biologically, such as brain scans. We also know that some mental illnesses, including depression, are hereditary, the same way other diseases are hereditary. So no, mental illness is not just "in your head," and that kind of thinking only contributes to the problem.

To address your points:
1) We need to medicalize mental health because mental illness are diseases and need to be treated as such. A great deal of the medical approach to mental illness includes seeing a therapist, psychiatrist and GP, and going on medications as necessary. Many therapists will emphasize non-medical aspects of mental health, such as creating strong social bonds and support network, and self-care. But schizophrenia cannot be managed with self-care alone, and to avoid getting help from trained professionals in dealing with it will only make things worse.

2) If you suffer from any ailment, seeing a professional who specializes in said ailment is literally the best way to help yourself. if you break your leg, then getting it treated must be your top priority - after all, once it's healed you will have far more agency than you did before. Your mental illness won't get worse by seeing a licensed professional. I do not see what this has to do with "agency."

This is factually incorrect. Some people have phases of depression, that is true, this must be differentiated from people who struggle with depression daily for their entire lives. No amount of "positive thinking" can cure that. Depression comes in many forms, and it sounds like you believe that all depression is the former. Depression can be a lifelong illness just like schizophrenia.

This entire post pretty much proves the point I set out to make. There are so many misconceptions about mental illness, what causes it and how to "fix" it. We need to treat mental illness the same way we would treat any other illness, and understand just how complex it can be.

~Psychic

1) I don't disagree with you.

A great deal of the medical approach to mental illness includes seeing a therapist, psychiatrist and GP, and going on medications as necessary. Many therapists will emphasize non-medical aspects of mental health, such as creating strong social bonds and support network, and self-care.

... is what I said.

But schizophrenia cannot be managed with self-care alone, and to avoid getting help from trained professionals in dealing with it will only make things worse.

... responds to something I neither said nor meant.

We need to medicalize mental health because mental illness are diseases and need to be treated as such.

... is missing the point, if you meant this as a rebuttal of my position. The process of medicalization comes with drawbacks. Personally, I aspire to a career in medicine. But I can recognize the weaknesses and failings of such a system. There is great emphasis in medicine on the science, the mechanisms, on treating the body as an object. But peoples' minds should not simply be treated as objects. I think it's a dangerous path to think about mental illness as any other diseases, because they are so deeply entangled with our identities and sense of self. There are features of the modern medical system that can make it alienating and dehumanizing. Physicians and patients are aware of this in general. The increased reliance on high science and high technology can present a barrier to empathy which is important in healthcare in general but doubly so for mental health. Mental illnesses are going to be medicalized whether we like it or not, and there are good reasons for doing so. But to boldly medicalize mental illnesses without being cautious and mindful of the uniqueness of mental health is to risk projecting onto it values and expectations that ultimately undermine the well-being of those who suffer.

2) Again, missing the point. I don't disagree that seeing a professional is one of the best things you can do concerning a mental illness. But there's so much more than just seeing a professional. Although I do not have personal experience, it is my understanding that psychotherapy involves personal work. There is a deeper level of engagement that goes past simply following a doctor's order to take certain drugs or avoiding certain activities to recover from an injury. That's why I want to emphasize how important one's sense of agency is with respect to mental health. I don't want people to think that, just because there's a physiological basis for mental health, their ability engage in and improve their own treatment is diminished. I don't want, in the effort to increase public understanding of mental health, to draw inappropriate parallels between mental disorder and more physiological disorders, and leading people to approach mental health with the same relative passiveness that you approach many other illnesses.

At this point I am really unsure whether you actually read my post or only read what you wanted to read. What I said was:

If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you have in some way pulled yourself out of it. If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you will look back and realize that it was just a phase.

You responded by saying:

But why? I'm sure we both know that treatments for many mental disorders involve psychotherapy which involve personal work and effort. If you participate in that therapy and it works out for you, then haven't you pulled yourself out of it? Haven't you, by your own will and effort, contributed to your own recovery? That's why I keep saying that one's sense of agency vis a vis mental health is so important - because you can affect your mind more deeply than you can affect your body and because that's what many therapies call for!

If you overcome a mental disorder, then won't you realize that mental disorders don't have to be enduring? That if your therapies are successful, there is the chance of taking back a normal life? That it would ultimately be a phase of your life and not a permanent mark on your identity? Again, we can see why agency is so important in all this. One's will and faith in the improvement of their mental condition is crucial to improving their quality of life, whether they fully recover from their illness or not. Positive thinking may not cure every case, but any amount of positive thinking is conducive to one's treatment and recovery. It's one of things that cognitive behavioural therapy asks for.

My original post was not a rebuttal to your first post, but rather to express caution at the prospect that we might oversimplify some of the complexity and neglect the humanity that is at the core of mental health in our zeal to bring further awareness to it. This post is a rebuttal to your second post because it did not seem to recognize the core idea of my previous post: that the patient's sense of agency, their perception of whether their thoughts and actions matter, should be one of the most important things to consider in mental health, and that we should be mindful that our solutions don't create any further unnecessary harm, not just to the sense of agency but in general. Instead you looked for misconceptions and debunked them, even though I daresay that there were no misconceptions to begin with. You don't know what I think about depression. What you do know is that I believe that if a person overcomes their illness, they will recognize that it was transient - impermanent - and hence not a worthy description of their identity.

You say that "we need to treat mental illness the same way we would treat any other illness, and understand just how complex it can be". I respond that in order to fully appreciate just how complex it can be, we cannot treat mental illness the same way we would treat any other illness.

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
Fair enough, that's why I began my post saying I might have been misinterpreting you. I apologize.

1) I don't disagree with you.
... is missing the point, if you meant this as a rebuttal of my position. The process of medicalization comes with drawbacks. Personally, I aspire to a career in medicine. But I can recognize the weaknesses and failings of such a system. There is great emphasis in medicine on the science, the mechanisms, on treating the body as an object. But peoples' minds should not simply be treated as objects. I think it's a dangerous path to think about mental illness as any other diseases, because they are so deeply entangled with our identities and sense of self. There are features of the modern medical system that can make it alienating and dehumanizing. Physicians and patients are aware of this in general. The increased reliance on high science and high technology can present a barrier to empathy which is important in healthcare in general but doubly so for mental health. Mental illnesses are going to be medicalized whether we like it or not, and there are good reasons for doing so. But to boldly medicalize mental illnesses without being cautious and mindful of the uniqueness of mental health is to risk projecting onto it values and expectations that ultimately undermine the well-being of those who suffer.
I acknowledge that I come from a place of privilege in that the aspects of the health system I've seen here in Canada have been fairly positive, and a lot of treatments I have seen go beyond simply throwing drugs at the problem. I currently work in a cardiologist office, and the doctor often prescribes exercise programs and dietary recommendations to patients, and he emphasizes that only they can take responsibility for those aspects of their health. Patients can be referred to other doctors who would better serve their particular issues (such as being unable to exercise due to back pain). This is why I am fairly optimistic about the medicalization of mental illness - the approach I have seen thus far has been fairly healthy (excuse the pun). if the medical system doesn't push for the other means of treating mental illness that I mentioned previously, then that's something that needs to be addressed within the medical community.

2) Again, missing the point. I don't disagree that seeing a professional is one of the best things you can do concerning a mental illness. But there's so much more than just seeing a professional. Although I do not have personal experience, it is my understanding that psychotherapy involves personal work. There is a deeper level of engagement that goes past simply following a doctor's order to take certain drugs or avoiding certain activities to recover from an injury. That's why I want to emphasize how important one's sense of agency is with respect to mental health. I don't want people to think that, just because there's a physiological basis for mental health, their ability engage in and improve their own treatment is diminished. I don't want, in the effort to increase public understanding of mental health, to draw inappropriate parallels between mental disorder and more physiological disorders, and leading people to approach mental health with the same relative passiveness that you approach many other illnesses.
This goes without saying to me - again, the cardiologist tells patients they have to do the (physical/dietary) work on their own time, and they're the only ones who can motivate themselves to do better. Therapists typically encourage patients to do certain work on their own time, and the benefit of having that professional help is that it gives patients a better idea of what direction to go in. Again, I realize my optimism comes from a place of privilege, and that not all doctors have such a mindset, but that is what I have seen.

But why? I'm sure we both know that treatments for many mental disorders involve psychotherapy which involve personal work and effort. If you participate in that therapy and it works out for you, then haven't you pulled yourself out of it? Haven't you, by your own will and effort, contributed to your own recovery? That's why I keep saying that one's sense of agency vis a vis mental health is so important - because you can affect your mind more deeply than you can affect your body and because that's what many therapies call for!

If you overcome a mental disorder, then won't you realize that mental disorders don't have to be enduring? That if your therapies are successful, there is the chance of taking back a normal life? That it would ultimately be a phase of your life and not a permanent mark on your identity? Again, we can see why agency is so important in all this. One's will and faith in the improvement of their mental condition is crucial to improving their quality of life, whether they fully recover from their illness or not. Positive thinking may not cure every case, but any amount of positive thinking is conducive to one's treatment and recovery. It's one of things that cognitive behavioural therapy asks for.
But many patients never entirely "pull themselves out of it." For instance, some people with depression or OCD struggle with it their entire lives, but find ways to make it more manageable. Some people consider their mental illness to play a large part in their identity, and I see no problem with this - it is only when your illness rule your identity that it can be a problem. Identity is a funny thing; we can't always divorce ourselves entirely from certain aspects of ourselves, and that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

~Psychic

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
Years
This is why the current education system needs to change, and why depression needs to be taken seriously. It's ridiculous how many people decide to kill themselves in this generation.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
The amount of children I see with anxiety issues due to their parents applying pressure at home is huge. And most of the times the parents don't even realise they're applying pressure when they keep casually mentioning that their child will become a doctor and get straight A*s... ;-;

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 28, 2016
I don't get how you judge someone's reason to commit suicide. It may sound idiot, but if the enviroment is calling for it after multiple events have taken place and said person is already having issues with his life, you're in no position to judge whether he had or not his reasons.
That's something I don't like nowadays; People always feel the need to throw their own experiences onto others. If someone, let's say, is having a problem with the end of a relationship, and he is really depressed over this, it's not you that'll help by telling him your life story and how his problems aren't that big compared to someone else or yours. When you are depressed, you need someone to understand and agree with you on how that is a hard journey. Your experiences are your of own and we aren't you to deal with the same experience the same way you did. Life is all about difference.
We react different to many matters, as much as you do. You feel commiting a suicide over a piece of paper is idiot, but you're in no position to judge him. You don't know his reasons and if he had some other background that might have helped on his reasoning. If anything, people should learn to shut up and not get into matters they don't fully understand.

PS: This post wasn't directed at anyone else. It was just a rant.

Completely agree we'll never know everything about the people and their circumstances. It's highly likely that him doing badly in this paper would have some consequences from parents or other people who are pressuring him. It's also true that suicide shouldn't be an option but that fact that it is just shows how many people suffer a lot in this world

Back