• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Students commit suicide

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
  • Well I am having SPM test ( Sijil Penilaian Malaysia - which is my final term exam for high school)

So, when I was revising my chemistry, my mom came to me and said that a student commited suicide because of the yesterday's Additional Mathematics paper.

When I heard about it, I was like " What? " Why you want to end your live just becasue of the paper? The questions are indeed hard ( because it is additional math) and you still have few more subjects to go and you are free!

Life is not worth the test so you gotta continue and stop giving up even you fail countless times.

Well, there are lots of cases happening similiar to this situation so it is a great concern that more teenages are thinking that thier lives are not important anymore once they failed thier exams.

So I just want to hear your opinion about these issues. Thank you!

Besides I am sorry if my grammars are bad :s

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I don't know why you would want to end your life over something as stupid and meaningless as a paper. I just hate people who feel the need to do things like this.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I don't think he did kill himself over a paper. He must have other issues, we don't know his life. Maybe the feeling of failing was too much to take after everything he had to live with. Maybe he had depression or stuff like that. We don't know. We can't judge. But it wasn't just for a paper I think.

Years
  • Not always people have an illness that want to suicide unfortunately. There are other people who are feeling well but sometimes the environment may make you take decisions which you would normally won't take for example a misfortune can lead you to suicide or some more things. It's like why young people drink tons of alcohol while they know that it is bad and you have a whole life to drink in your life it's like a suicide. They drink because of the people who may make fun of them around them or their friends e.t.c. Generally, a suicide is a very bad idea but it's also very hard to flip the table nowadays. I mean that it's hard to turn a situation and help a person who is like that (even some doctors are bad when giving tips i have real proof for this :( ). What we should try is to try to be more humane when we are doing anything and not put money over our heads, have focus and calm behaviour and maybe that will help a little< my opinion. Good luck brothers. Remember the hard part is when you change your inside and not your outside if you understand what i mean :) and we need to be together and not selfish. Continue and fight with pride!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • This is the type of suicide news I've been waiting for after hearing numerous stories of people killing themselves due to being bullied, having a break up, or losing someone important. It's a story I could relate to, because I always felt life's not worth it whenever I fail a certain task, whether it's doing the laundry, completing a test, or picking something up, but I'm too much of a coward to do it, because there's so many things I want to see in my life.

Lunaturret

[B]The Forgotten[/B]
    Years
  • I really wished their was more support in the world for people that are suffering but many people really don't put their feet in that other person shoes and relate to them in a way that's needed leaving these people without the help they need and that's a real shame. Sometimes all these people have is themselves as the world around them doesn't even understand them its very painful to here about these kinda things and sometimes people really don't the understanding at a young age to be able to deal with certain issue or bullying and result in them ending their lifes way to short leaving the monster in life to live on and cause more pain. I hope the world gets better in time.

Sir Codin

To be perfectly fair, schooling these days can be stressful and we're increasingly giving students the impression that a paper determines your entire future; some people think if you fail, then your life is meaningless.

Some people think if they won't pass, might as well end it now. I can understand the feeling. I've contemplated ending it all after doing poorly on a test before and STEM fields are pretty tough.

Lunaturret

[B]The Forgotten[/B]
    Years
  • To be perfectly fair, schooling these days can be stressful and we're increasingly giving students the impression that a paper determines your entire future; some people think if you fail, then your life is meaningless.

Some people think if they won't pass, might as well end it now. I can understand the feeling. I've contemplated ending it all after doing poorly on a test before and STEM fields are pretty tough.

But from what you have said your seem to do alot of reflecting and have realise life is somewhat important even if alittle dull and hard at times and always remember that people do care just sometimes very hard to come by but when you meet these people they hopefully stick around for life lol. Some of them and if you ever feel like contemplating anythink bad please send me a message i love to talk about alot games world issues sports watever i like to be a friend to the community that i love very much, more so because the people are really nice. Have a really good day.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I don't know why you would want to end your life over something as stupid and meaningless as a paper. I just hate people who feel the need to do things like this.
    please do not have this attitude, or perpetuate this line of thinking in any way, shape, or form. as others have said, it's more than likely that this paper was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. a psychologically healthy person would not get assigned a tough paper and then just kill themselves. it doesn't work that way, and it's foolish and reductive to think it does. & "hating people who feel the need to do things like this" is also really, really not okay.

I'm not taking a shot at you personally, it's just hard for me to see people write things like this, I guess. sorry.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Part of it might just be the culture that the student was in and how important getting good grades was stressed. I know that there are some cultures where students are expected to put in a lot of hours studying so they can get into a particular college that will give them the best success in life. If they don't get the grades necessary to get into that college, it can be treated as if their entire life is a failure.

Combining the stress of studying that much and not getting the grade to match the time put into it with having that much pressure put onto someone, it's a small wonder that a student could commit suicide just from something "as stupid and meaningless as a paper." Because to them, from what they grew up hearing (either from parents, teachers, or just how the culture around them acts), that stupid and meaningless paper could be the one thing that gets them into the best college around that they've spent their entire life working towards.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Personally I feel like not only western culture, but especially eastern cultures put WAAAY too much weight and emphasis on academic success. I understand the need, but the means are too extreme if someone is driven to end their life.

I'm not saying we should we should care less about education, but educators must RETHINK HOW they do it. I think sometimes that education needs to be even more spread out over time and kids should be getting like 4 more years of primary/secondary education before college.

Bay

Years
  • I can relate to those that also mentioned feeling under pressure over academics. I was the same myself, being upset/depressed whenever I wasn't able to get the test results I wanted during high school and college. As others said, depending on the environment it does happen and pretty tragic someone so young felt so stressed they actually went through with ending their life.

Sir Codin

That's not even getting into the fact that we place too much effort into preparing for BS standardized testing. While I'm not going to claim I have a better idea for testing material retention in public schools, I still need to point out the biggest flaw with these tests: the way people take tests varies wildly from person to person.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the term "test anxiety." No matter how well a person studies, psychological factors can play a role in performance. When I saw this clip on Metalocalypse, it really struck a chord with me (pun absolutely intended):

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    As has been stated, to say that someone committed suicide merely because of a test is simply wrong, and demonizing people under that misconception is not helping the problem. Depression is a serious issue that a lot of people are frankly insensitive about and don't understand (ex "can't you just pull yourself out of it?" "you're doing this to yourself" "think positive, it's just a phase"). A lot of people attribute one single thing to a suicide - "he did it because he couldn't get over the break-up" or "she couldn't stand losing her job," but there's never one single thing to blame. Depression is not that simple.

We need more awareness around mental health, and easier access to treatment, especially for the more vulnerable members of society (such as people of lower socioeconomic classes). It's also something we need to demystify so it's no longer such a taboo subject, which will also make it easier for people to get help.

~Psychic

Years
  • As has been stated, to say that someone committed suicide merely because of a test is simply wrong, and demonizing people under that misconception is not helping the problem. Depression is a serious issue that a lot of people are frankly insensitive about and don't understand (ex "can't you just pull yourself out of it?" "you're doing this to yourself" "think positive, it's just a phase"). A lot of people attribute one single thing to a suicide - "he did it because he couldn't get over the break-up" or "she couldn't stand losing her job," but there's never one single thing to blame. Depression is not that simple.

We need more awareness around mental health, and easier access to treatment, especially for the more vulnerable members of society (such as people of lower socioeconomic classes). It's also something we need to demystify so it's no longer such a taboo subject, which will also make it easier for people to get help.

~Psychic

I wonder now if increasing awareness around mental health comes with some costs in spite of the benefits.

1) With increasing awareness, I feel there is a real drive to medicalize mental health. I think there are definite negatives to this. I think most people are aware that putting people through the "medical system" can be an alienating and not the most effective experience, but treating mental disorders as diseases will increase the association between mental disorders and traditional medical interventions - i.e. see a professional, heed their advice, take medication - to the detriment of a more holistic approach that includes engaging and creating social bonds. Going through the medical system and shoring up your "social healing network", so to speak, are by no means mutually exclusive, but I fear that people will increasingly see mental health as something that you exclusively have to go through the medical system to fix because that's the association they make.

2) I also fear how this awareness might affect people's sense of agency. I fear that people might come to see it as just a disease, as something that "happens" to you, that because it has a physiological basis, they'll treat it as if it was 100% physiological and there's nothing they can personally do except seek professional advice. I fear how this might impact those who already have weakened senses of agency and push them closer to mental disorder.

This is of course not to say that we should not increase awareness and society's readiness to improve mental health. But every action that an individual or a society takes has the potential for negative and unintended consequences. Even though it's insensitive for people to say "can't you just pull yourself out of it?", "you're doing this to yourself", "think positive, it's just a phase", each of those phrases are true in a very fundamental way. If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you have in some way pulled yourself out of it. If you overcome a mental disorder, then, yes, you will look back and realize that it was just a phase. If you're currently going through a mental disorder - I don't enjoy saying this, but - it's plausible that some of your actions and thoughts contribute to the problem.

Mental health is already a complex issue in itself, and addressing and fixing it on a individual or societal level is more complex still. I think this demonstrates how important it is to be mindful of everything: not just of individuals and their lived experience, but also of the potential harms that our approaches and solutions might create and as well those nuggets of truth, even in things we don't like to hear. If there's anything I can say that we must do, it's that in our efforts to "demystify" and increase awareness and most importantly understanding, that we don't oversimplify and boil down what needs to be understood to the point that "increasing awareness" becomes counter-productive.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    It's always upsetting to see people judging the reason behind someone's suicide. There are even those who thinks the problem of the victim wasn't that huge to begin therefore marking the suicide meaningless. But the thing is these problems are theirs alone and no one else will solve them. People have different capacities to cope with a problem and no one can understand how severe the pain is for the individual. You losing something like a heirloom—or in this case, failing an exam—could physically and mentally be as devastating as someone losing their home. The common connection here is that both are painful to the respective individuals due to various underlying reasons and worst thing one can do is to tell that person to grow up.

For someone to make light of another's problem while comparing it to others—who might happen to have it worse in your eyes—doesn't help anyone. Depression stems from many different factors and not a single one of them is inferior to the other.

But yes, I've heard of students committing suicide over school matters usually from failing expectations and thinking it's the end of the line for them. Academics is a big deal in certain parts of the world and it's starting to become an increasing problem over the years. It's almost like if you don't become a doctor or attorney you're immediately branded as a failure, and worse some parents actually supports this kind of mentality. These kids are raised to think academics trumps all others; take that one important thing away from them and the world around them basically turns into shambles.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    please do not have this attitude, or perpetuate this line of thinking in any way, shape, or form. as others have said, it's more than likely that this paper was just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. a psychologically healthy person would not get assigned a tough paper and then just kill themselves. it doesn't work that way, and it's foolish and reductive to think it does. & "hating people who feel the need to do things like this" is also really, really not okay.

I'm not taking a shot at you personally, it's just hard for me to see people write things like this, I guess. sorry.

No need to worry. I guess the way I wrote it made it sounds worse than I was thinking.

I hate it in a way because the person who takes their own life may think well if I die I won't have to disappoint/worry/bother anyone else. When in reality you taking your own life is just as unfair to everyone else as everything you were dealing with was to you. You may think you are doing everyone a favor by taking your own life but really you're not and could possibly be making it just as bad on someone else because you're not the one that has to deal with the emotional toll or the funeral.

You might just have that one person who could have helped you but you decided not to ask for help when you really needed it. So now you leave people with that..."If only I would have known I could have helped" guilt feeling.

While it may be impossible to see there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and while it may be hard at first there is always help if you ask for it.

So I hope that explains better on what I mean by I hate it when people do things like this. :D

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
  • I don't get how you judge someone's reason to commit suicide. It may sound idiot, but if the enviroment is calling for it after multiple events have taken place and said person is already having issues with his life, you're in no position to judge whether he had or not his reasons.
    That's something I don't like nowadays; People always feel the need to throw their own experiences onto others. If someone, let's say, is having a problem with the end of a relationship, and he is really depressed over this, it's not you that'll help by telling him your life story and how his problems aren't that big compared to someone else or yours. When you are depressed, you need someone to understand and agree with you on how that is a hard journey. Your experiences are your of own and we aren't you to deal with the same experience the same way you did. Life is all about difference.
    We react different to many matters, as much as you do. You feel commiting a suicide over a piece of paper is idiot, but you're in no position to judge him. You don't know his reasons and if he had some other background that might have helped on his reasoning. If anything, people should learn to shut up and not get into matters they don't fully understand.

PS: This post wasn't directed at anyone else. It was just a rant.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    What is scary and very sad with suicide in high school is that it can sometimes cause a chain reaction. When I was in high school a few years ago one of the schools in my area had a bit of an epidemic with it when almost a dozen students killed themselves within a couple years. That school was rumored to have really serious issues with bullying, but I wasn't a student so I didn't know exactly what was going on.

A lot of people just plain and simple, do not understand mental illness at all. It's not just the feeling of, "Oh, this paper is too hard, I don't want to do it," the amount of pressure put on this generation to succeed academically and in all other aspects of life peaks stress levels like no other.

No need to worry. I guess the way I wrote it made it sounds worse than I was thinking.

I hate it in a way because the person who takes their own life may think well if I die I won't have to disappoint/worry/bother anyone else. When in reality you taking your own life is just as unfair to everyone else as everything you were dealing with was to you. You may think you are doing everyone a favor by taking your own life but really you're not and could possibly be making it just as bad on someone else because you're not the one that has to deal with the emotional toll or the funeral.

You might just have that one person who could have helped you but you decided not to ask for help when you really needed it. So now you leave people with that..."If only I would have known I could have helped" guilt feeling.

While it may be impossible to see there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and while it may be hard at first there is always help if you ask for it.

So I hope that explains better on what I mean by I hate it when people do things like this. :D

That's an extremely callous statement. A lot of people who contemplate, attempt, or even do commit suicide do not ask for help because of the mental health issues they are struggling with that makes them want to consider suicide in the first place. Sometimes when people even do manage to ask for help, they are ignored or dismissed as a result of ignorance about mental illness. Yeah, it sucks to know people who have committed suicide, but I've never felt as much pain as they have to go so far as to commit suicide or even attempt it, so I am in no position to judge them for what they did. It would be very selfish of me to do so.

Last edited:
    Back