• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you hide your love of Pokemon from other people?

Years
  • Or are you proud and talk about it with everyone? I'm just curious about other people's experiences. I know my parents were really against me playing Pokemon growing up, but I loved it the moment I played the originals and Gold/Silver. After I hit 13 I hid my love for it from everyone I knew because I was embarrassed and felt it made me look immature. I'm older now, but now just don't give a damn and I'm going to go out and get Pokemon Y. Oh yeah, and I'm new here too, hello =)

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't hide it, I don't flaunt it. There was a period where I was embarrassed, but that's long since passed, and besides, a lot of people around me play, so it's not like one would face much scrutiny anyways. I'll play in public and stuff when I'm waiting for class or something, I don't tend to bring it up in conversation though.

Welcome to the forums btw!

Years
  • Hello, and welcome to the PokeCommunity, cheriberry!

When Pokemon stopped being popular after I got out of elementary, I wouldn't say that I hid my love for it, but it wasn't something that I brought up unless someone else did. That probably went on through my entirety of middle and high school, but by the time I graduated, I just stopped caring if people knew, since it shouldn't really matter either way. Heck, yesterday I walked around the mall and then went to work in my Hawlucha shirt, and thought nothing of it. Now, I don't go around broadcasting my love for Pokemon or anything, but it's definitely something I don't bother hiding!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I don't hide it from anyone, but no one to talk about it either.

I'm guessing not too many people care about Pokemon (at least where I live in Seattle). Even when I wear my Pokemon shirts in public or play the games in public (like in doctor's office waiting to be seen) no one seems to notice that I have Pokemon merchandise with me.

The only few times I have gotten good compliments was when I wore my Unova Water Starters shirt at an aquatic theme park Wild Waves in Federal Way, WA - many people, mainly other adults, said good stuff about my shirt.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Not at all. I feel there is no need to hide it from anyone. Most of the people I'm friends with realize what pokemon is and don't judge me because I happen to like it. XD That and a lot of my friends also like pokemon as well, so it's not like there's any reason to hide being a total pokemon nerd. :B

My parents could careless what I play so long as it's not something that will haunt me or be a bad influence.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Most of the times, yeah. I do have a close circle of friends who talk about it but nowadays nobody ever plays it. I guess I'm destined to be a solitary loon XD

But if I did share something pretty soon I'd be the butt of jokes. I'm pretty sure everybody else knows a bit about it, just that they don't feel 'immature'.

Years
  • I usually like to hide my love of Pokemon from the public because they'd probably consider it weird for a person aged in their 20's to still play Pokemon. However, someone who works at my local Coles supermarket (in fact we ended up getting served by her at the checkout again yesterday) has admitted she is a Pokemon fan, which I have to admit was unexpected.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I only ever hide it from my brother so he wouldn't poke jokes at me, but in general no, I don't hide my love of Pokemon. If anyone ever mentions Pokemon, expect me to give you a lecture all about it. That is, if anyone would care to mention it. Pokemon's just something nobody cares about here, unfortunately, so I don't bother hiding it because nobody cares anyway.

Years
  • Or are you proud and talk about it with everyone? I'm just curious about other people's experiences. I know my parents were really against me playing Pokemon growing up, but I loved it the moment I played the originals and Gold/Silver. After I hit 13 I hid my love for it from everyone I knew because I was embarrassed and felt it made me look immature. I'm older now, but now just don't give a damn and I'm going to go out and get Pokemon Y. Oh yeah, and I'm new here too, hello =)

Welcome ;P
    My parents were also against me playing Pokemon, they thought I should be more sporty (I play a lot of video games in general...). But in the end I just kept to what I was good at and loved. I became a gamer and love talking about it. But Pokemon was always something I didn't mention at school. I got teased for playing it. Over time though I found a bunch of people like me. We sat down every lunch break and just talked about Pokemon. And even a couple of years after I am still in touch with most of them. I just wish that as gamers we were better respected. At school everyone who played sport were the (dare I say) 'Popular people'. I disagree. I think as the industry grows that gaming is becoming a bigger part of society and we should be accepted. I think we should talk about we love and be proud of it! ;)
    Thanks,
    Dodo Hunter
    (Sorry if I went on a rant ^^)

Years
  • I've never hid my love of Pokemon. Since elementary school, my friends and others have known I'm a nerd, and being a nerd entails walking around with a DS and Pokemon Pearl at all times. (Back when people had a regular DS Lite instead of a 3DS.) It's been some years and I met a lot of guys in high school that nerd it up like I do, so I don't bother hiding it at all. I'm one of those people that'll sit with a group at lunch and have a controversial conversation about Pokemon with a completely straight face.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2015
    what? lol no !
    Why hide something you like from other people?
    Feel proud of what you do and what you love..
    Dont mind what other people or your parents say about it
    because if you do? Eventually you give up the things that you really like .
    To this day I always told everyone I love Pokemon ..and im 20 years old
    And in my Country pokemon just doent exist..no anime on the TV, no TCG no noting..
    so alot of people dont know why i love pokemon so much
    and why i dont watch a different animes but this is me and this is what i love and people respect that..Parents , friends , girlfriend you know..everyone

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I hide it from mostly everyone because I just rather not deal with it. I'm at that age now where no one really cares anymore unless you're a psycho about it so I've told two friends. One turned out to have played it before and wanted to play again and asked to borrow some of my games and the other also played it before and I'm pretty sure really liked it. Honestly I don't really remember what was said with the second friend because I only brought it up after we were both far from sober in the hopes that if it backfired she wouldn't remember loooool

Years
  • Not at all. I love Pokémon and i'm proud of it. My parents have asked me a couple times since I came home, and i've told them that even adults like Pokémon so it's nothing unnatural to me. I even remember when I was at college not long after I bought X and Y, and one night I went into a computer lab to finish a project I was working on and someone was playing Y, which was nice to see.

Penelope

fluffy Flaaffy
    Years
  • Nope! I actually have a weekly meet up with people I met when HG-SS came out and we play and discuss new things Poke-related in person. It's really fun and accepting. Outside that, I don't because it's something I enjoy, and probably won't grow out of

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    Nah, I don't hide it. I don't bring it up either, though, if it isn't relevant to the situation. Last semester I would play Pokémon on my old Game Boy Color while waiting for the prof to show up in most of my classes. I don't care who sees.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well. I don't hide that I like or know about pokémon anymore :3 But I don't let people know that I'm staff on a pokémon forum or roleplay about pokémon regularly. That's my private life and I don't feel like I need to share it with anyone irl when I got all of you :3

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • When in university, it is known that most people do play pokemon, especially when they talk loudly about it and then ask you if you do, there is no reason to hide it.

Years
  • I don't actively hide it; my 3DS is usually in my backpack when I go to school, but usually I only pull it out on the ride home, because on the bus there isn't much chance for social interaction, haha. If someone asks me if I play/like Pokemon, I'll be honest with them, but otherwise I don't bring it up.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • No, my love for pokemon is very well-known. :) Some of my casually-interested-in-pokemon friends introduce me to friends or at parties as the guy who knows the first 151 in order. ("Pick a number. Any number!") I carry around my Pokewalker and 3DS with me frequently. :)

I've learned the hard way, though, that I shouldn't interject my way into every conversation I overhear about Pokemon. ^ ^;

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't exactly hide it, but I don't show it purposely in public, either. If some person doesn't think that I don't play or watch Pokémon, that's fine. If a friend finds me buying some Pokémon plush, that's perfectly fine, too; wouldn't worry about being judged at all. All-in-all, I'm completely neutral on this.

Back