• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What have you named your Rival?

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    I've been naming my best friend to the rival. If I'm going to play as girl, then I'm going to name my rival with my name.

💀DUSKIZARD💀

Charizard Expert
    Years
  • At first I named him Ian, don't know why, it just spoke to me as an enemy name. Then in other games (when I was young) stuck to the name Poohead. Even these days I name him poohead. It reminds me of my old games.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    I named him Stupid, and I kept calling the rivals that way until I got my Pokemon Pearl card. Then, I became lazy and just picked up the standart names.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • He is Spike in my Fire Red and I am Angel.
    My trainer and Rival names are almost always fandom inspired and the Rival's personality in FR/LG fits perfectly as Spike from the Buffy/Angel series.

In Leaf Green I don't recall what his name is but I plan to reset that game when I am able to trade my shiny Machop off it.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I name them their actual name :p I don't like using random names, prefer having them be the actual character as decided by Game Freak.

Gen. I (and its remakes) are kinda funny, name them Green in japanese versions and Blue in the english ones, because I want to follow his Gen. II name.

My own player character though, I name after myself, because that character is me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I know the first time I played FireRed, I named him Gary 2.0 since it was basically a done-up Blue. And he looks like Gary. I thought I was hilarious.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I usually named him one of my friends names. Though when I was lazy I'd choose Gary or one of the preset ones.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2016
    I named Him Neil from dragon ball z because he's pretty cool and its a pretty nice name
    :D

Years
  • When I did that short-lived play of a borrowed Leaf Green copy, I think the rival was named Alex on that save file that was there. Other than that, if I were to have played an actual playthrough I would have just named him Blue.

Years
  • I usually name them with the theme I am using for my Pokemon nicknames. For instance, if I did a Rome theme, I could name my rival Brutus. Apart from that I just name it one of my friends names so I can win constantly and make myself feel superior :3

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I usually give them my brothers name or I given them the name of someone I really don't like at that time!

Years
  • I generally go with the default name for my rival, but because I was used to his name from the second gen games, I went with Blue rather than Green. In fact, even though I've played through FireRed a few times now, I think I named my rival Blue every time, haha.

Back