• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Lysandre... [SPOILERS]

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Hey, koff~

Team Rocket killed Pokemon guys. Just cause they could. Also, I don't believe that they died. This 'ultimate weapon' did as much damage as a small crate of C-4. It sunk their base, sure, but the main character (you and your friends) didn't get caught in the blast or die. That leads me to believe that they're still alive somewhere. Also, Xerosic is still alive, koffi~
    Yeah...but Xerosic and the other scientiests weren't at the secret base, they were still in the Cafe most likely.

Lysander came off as Cyrus 2.0. Cyrus hated spirit, and wouldn't have cared about killing off everyone in the Universe but himself in order to create a new one. Lysander hated 'ugliness', and wouldn't have cared about killing off everyone else in the world but Team Flare.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    Lysandre was an interesting villain because he stated some points of view that make you think a lot; in synthesis about the survival of the fittest. like sometimes to survive, any being will do what they consider it's necessary to survive, it's more like the instinct over reason. I think he got obssesed with the idea and overdid it, trying to change the world by any means, no matter if what he was going to do in the process was good or bad.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • I'm not anywhere near that point, but I don't think all of Team Flare was killed if they were killed. Malva is still alive and from what I've seen from hints and what a few of my friends are telling me, she's a Team Flare member and E4 member so they aren't all dead if they did die XD

I didn't know that this generation's main games had a member of the villainous team in the Kalos region's Elite 4! Has that ever happened in the games before?

Actually he's re-creating the world only for people who joined Team Flare. He said it on the holo-caster after the 7th gym, anyone who isn't part of Team Flare will die. With only Team Flare member in his new world he's assuming all fighting would stop. The reason why he's killing off the pokemon is because it cause the people to "battle" which he didn't want in his world.

I can accept the story, the leader isn't really a villain in a sense when you think about what he wanted. He wanted a beautiful world without fighting and the only way to do this in the pokemon world is to get rid of Pokemons. It's different from what we seen so far and I like it.

So Generation VI has expanded upon the 'getting obsessed with what were originally good intentions is a bad thing' theme that started appearing in the Pokémon franchise in Generation V, eh?

You're looking at it the wrong way. Not flare as in fire, flare as in style, pazzaz. Every second thing they say has to do with being fashionable. This is why they are Team Flare

they still had fire type pokemon on there team lol. what get me this girl ghost npc carry fairy pokemon lol. i thought they would have ghost type pokemon with them

I get it! Team Flare's name makes a pun out of the words 'flair' and 'flare!'

Last edited:
    Years
  • What really confuses me is this - what the heck was with the "fashion and flair!" mantras of Team Flare members?
    There's a total disconnect between the leader of the organization, the goals of the organization, and the constituent members of the organization. Team Flare members don't really talk about cleansing the world, ending warfare and strife, how much faith they have in Lysandre and his cause... All they consistently talk about is the Team Flare uniform and how stylish/cool/fashionable/radical they think they are.

Lysandre isn't a model or a pop star, he's not a fashion designer or an artist. He's some perpetually broody older man who hates the world the way it is now. He's bitter, grumpy, taciturn. So why would his organization consist of a bunch of flamboyant fashion aficionados and people wearing weird cyber goggles and green lipstick? It's just... weird. It doesn't make any sense.

You'd think members of an organization with goals like Lysandre's would all be very stern, serious, pessimistic about the way the world is now. They'd have a really diabolical and moody presence and perhaps be feared. But instead they all have hilarious flame-pouf hairstyles and nobody's afraid of them and all they do is strike poses and talk about how cool they are.

well team galactic had similar goals, and they were even more clueless

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • THE ENTIRE KALOS POPULATION IS MADE UP OF COLDHEARTED FREAKS!

Yup, French people are weird all right!

to be honest, i hated unova, but sinnohs story was pretty good, unova had a team with no logic to it.

I've always wondered what would happen if Cyrus came back from the nether world into which he disappeared after Gen. IV (in fact, I've actually started to think about what would happen if his motives were to end up being merged with those of Team Plasma after the people with these motives had coincidentally met somewhere in between Sinnoh and Unova–I have some rough drafts of an 'Aeonn' region that I've based loosely off of the area where Michigan's upper and lower peninsulas since I live in Indiana, which is quite close to the 'Great Lakes' area of the US–and created some new combo plan that incorporates both Team Galactic's desires to create an all-new universe and Team Plasma's wish to separate people and Pokémon but that can't be stopped but backfires at the last second so that somebody else can repair the damage done to the space-time continuum in such a way that some Pokémon-only places remain for Mystery Dungeon games.

Last edited:

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    the game is getting mature, this much i can say about it.. definitely. i was also surprised by the fact the team flare got killed and lysandre dead..... and there are so many part of the story yet to explore. i need a sequel on this like in BW to BW2..

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • I was actually pretty taken back when Lysandre said he was going to kill all the Pokémon and people who weren't in Team Flare. Not disgusted though, it was just a pretty crazy "twist" to me since I didn't expect anything that dark. Especially the part when you're in Geosenge town and the Team Flare members are blocking you from the below route and you hear them talking about blocking out the screams of the other Pokémon. Really pretty dark!!
    I'm pretty surprised that reviewers said that the plot was bland and just the same as well haha.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, to be fair, a certain Ground type Pokemon back in gen one counts as the first death in a Pokemon game, I'd say. (Sure you don't see it, but then this is also a so-called Disney death too. To the point where people speculate he's alive too).

Anyways, my reaction? 'What'. A sceptical and disbelieving sort of what. =/ (I recently beat this part in my playthrough). Sure, Pokemon plots aren't very heavy to begin with, and I usually just play for the gameplay and Pokemon rather than plot. And this may have been an attempt to be ~dark and edgy~. But it was just so poorly executed! Characters do not comment on it anywhere near enough (your rivals basically go 'lalala let's continue on our adventure then! ^^'). There's no real sense of urgency by anyone else. (Compare to RSE. People comment on the changed weather conditions. You can see the rain/heat in other nearby towns too. Here? A few people comment on it, and some do not at all in the town. Outside of it? Few and far between.) It's too condensed too (you battle Lysandre three times in the space of an hour, two tops? Uh... and he's wearing what exactly in the last battle? Where did he get a mega stone from? Why did he cry for a moment and that never be mentioned again? How did AZ get out of that jail anyways? And so forth.)

It's a pity as there is potential there. But compared to BW's plot for instance (which mind you was far from flawed itself), it's many steps backwards in many areas. Oh well, at least I play more for the Pokemon and gameplay anyway. Nonetheless... I prefer a decent plot to a rushed and flawed one.

That's a very interesting perspective and one that did not occur to me while playing the game. Lysandre for all intents and purposes wanted to create a better world where everyone could live fair and equally without war. He was angry at the world and how humans and Pokémon alike were destroying it through constant battle. Clearly, he viewed it as an ugly place to be in and wanted to rid the world of this "ugly" to create a more beautiful life for people to live in.

It makes sense now why there would only be a select few who survive through Lysandre's plans and why the price to join was so costly. They were literally buying there way into a new life, a beautiful life as you so acutely pointed out. Since the price was so high and given the hoity-toity atmosphere of Kalos, it's no wonder why the grunts were so focused on their looks, feeling like they were better than others, and more superior. They knew they were the lucky few going to live to see a better world while the rest of us and Pokémon would die from their destruction. In their eyes, we were the peasants who couldn't afford the new lifestyle they dreamed to live in.
    The sort of potential I mentioned. A pity this was never made clear or used as a focal point. After all, it's not presented as a main thing! Early on you certainly can't tell what their motives are, or how to join and all.
    It was certainly a dark story, probably the darkest, but there are ways Lysandre and Team Flare could have stuck out more throughout the storyline, something I hope can be rectified in a third version, or better yet, sequels.
    Idk about darkest, myself. It's rather similar to the plan of Galactic after all (in general - the whole 'screw everyone else so I can have my own ideal world' deal), while Colosseum/XD challenge it with the implications of Pokemon being tortured and etc into a Shadow state (and look how well that went for Lugia...plus the general setting too is darker/more fitting for such a theme than happy-go-lucky France Kalos).

I also hope they improve stuff if they make a third game or sequel or whatever. Because there's a fair bit they can work on.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    What really confuses me is this - what the heck was with the "fashion and flair!" mantras of Team Flare members?
    There's a total disconnect between the leader of the organization, the goals of the organization, and the constituent members of the organization. Team Flare members don't really talk about cleansing the world, ending warfare and strife, how much faith they have in Lysandre and his cause... All they consistently talk about is the Team Flare uniform and how stylish/cool/fashionable/radical they think they are.

Lysandre isn't a model or a pop star, he's not a fashion designer or an artist. He's some perpetually broody older man who hates the world the way it is now. He's bitter, grumpy, taciturn. So why would his organization consist of a bunch of flamboyant fashion aficionados and people wearing weird cyber goggles and green lipstick? It's just... weird. It doesn't make any sense.

You'd think members of an organization with goals like Lysandre's would all be very stern, serious, pessimistic about the way the world is now. They'd have a really diabolical and moody presence and perhaps be feared. But instead they all have hilarious flame-pouf hairstyles and nobody's afraid of them and all they do is strike poses and talk about how cool they are.

My thoughts exactly. They hinted at Lysandre liking "beauty" but his grunts didn't seem to care about beauty, but rather style. I tried hard but I couldn't make any connection between the leader and the led; if Lysandre didn't have the colour scheme and crazy hair-do I wouldn't have even guessed he was Team Flare's boss. The admins were also a waste of potential, they had no character at all and were just kind of there.

I wish they would have gone into Malva and her role in Team Flare a bit more. She just says it but there was no hint of her involvement or what she really thought of them and their downfall. I dunno.

I miss Team Rocket :(

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • there are rarely sequels, the only one in a passage of time is black and white 2. all others: yellow, crystal, emerald, and platinum are all the same timeline.

You're forgetting that Generation II was a direct sequel to Generation I, dude.

Actually, every region is a sequel, and time does pass. New games always have references to previous ones. The BW2 is easier to spot, but all the games do go in a sequential order, and for that to happen, time has to progress. What they do is just not tell us how much time has passed, that ambiguity allows them to avoid plot holes common in many other series.

Technically, common wisdom says that the Hoenn and Kanto games actually occur at about the same point in the timeline, right?

Last edited:

Years
  • You're forgetting that Generation II was a direct sequel to Generation I, dude.

Technically, common wisdom says that the Hoenn and Kanto games actually occur at about the same point in the timeline, right?
    I think Hoenn takes place one year or so after Kanto. There's not much proof on when it takes place...

I hope that they fix the houses in a third version as that seemed off...in all other generations they would have these kinds of things fixed by the time you left, or by the time you finish the E4...

Years
  • My thoughts exactly. They hinted at Lysandre liking "beauty" but his grunts didn't seem to care about beauty, but rather style. I tried hard but I couldn't make any connection between the leader and the led; if Lysandre didn't have the colour scheme and crazy hair-do I wouldn't have even guessed he was Team Flare's boss. The admins were also a waste of potential, they had no character at all and were just kind of there.

I wish they would have gone into Malva and her role in Team Flare a bit more. She just says it but there was no hint of her involvement or what she really thought of them and their downfall. I dunno.

I miss Team Rocket :(

I think that is the connection. Just the idea of preserving beauty I suppose. I remember at the beginning of the game lysandre was talking with Diantha about how beauty should last forever. I guess the grunt's interpretation of lasting beauty was to be stylish, or something, I dunno.

Also I didn't really find this game to be all that dark. but that might only be because I didnt play Gen V, and I've been reading Naruto lately, so the idea of a villain thinking the only way to save the world is to kill most of it's inhabitants is kinda played out to me, so there wasn't any shock value.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Yeah...but Xerosic and the other scientiests weren't at the secret base, they were still in the Cafe most likely. . .

I meant all of them, koff~

Not all of them died. This is what I was responding too: "What was your reaction on the first ever confirmed death in the pokemon franchise, where lysandre killed himself as well as all of team flare?"

Just to clarify that I'm not an idiot. Yeah, I may come across as the stupid one but we all know that text translates poorly. Like a 95% reduction from face to face conversation. No biggie, just something we all need reminding of, koffi~

Years
  • Well, to be fair, a certain Ground type Pokemon back in gen one counts as the first death in a Pokemon game, I'd say. (Sure you don't see it, but then this is also a so-called Disney death too. To the point where people speculate he's alive too).

Anyways, my reaction? 'What'. A sceptical and disbelieving sort of what. =/ (I recently beat this part in my playthrough). Sure, Pokemon plots aren't very heavy to begin with, and I usually just play for the gameplay and Pokemon rather than plot. And this may have been an attempt to be ~dark and edgy~. But it was just so poorly executed! Characters do not comment on it anywhere near enough (your rivals basically go 'lalala let's continue on our adventure then! ^^'). There's no real sense of urgency by anyone else. (Compare to RSE. People comment on the changed weather conditions. You can see the rain/heat in other nearby towns too. Here? A few people comment on it, and some do not at all in the town. Outside of it? Few and far between.) It's too condensed too (you battle Lysandre three times in the space of an hour, two tops? Uh... and he's wearing what exactly in the last battle? Where did he get a mega stone from? Why did he cry for a moment and that never be mentioned again? How did AZ get out of that jail anyways? And so forth.)

It's a pity as there is potential there. But compared to BW's plot for instance (which mind you was far from flawed itself), it's many steps backwards in many areas. Oh well, at least I play more for the Pokemon and gameplay anyway. Nonetheless... I prefer a decent plot to a rushed and flawed one.

The sort of potential I mentioned. A pity this was never made clear or used as a focal point. After all, it's not presented as a main thing! Early on you certainly can't tell what their motives are, or how to join and all.
    Idk about darkest, myself. It's rather similar to the plan of Galactic after all (in general - the whole 'screw everyone else so I can have my own ideal world' deal), while Colosseum/XD challenge it with the implications of Pokemon being tortured and etc into a Shadow state (and look how well that went for Lugia...plus the general setting too is darker/more fitting for such a theme than happy-go-lucky France Kalos).

I also hope they improve stuff if they make a third game or sequel or whatever. Because there's a fair bit they can work on.
    i meant of a human death, and while giovanni has speculation, there is no confirmation, but you never see lysandre even run, then the whole town is blown up and you and your friends swell as the professor and az are the only ones outside

Years
  • wait, I just noticed something. when you get the absolite from your rival s/he says that maybe the absolite will give lysandre something to be hopeful about. So wouldn't that mean he's alive? otherwise they would've referred to him in the past tense.

Years
  • I thought the story was handled better than Black and White.. which seemed to try to do something epic but didn't really have the scope or the direction first. I appreciated that, for what it's worth, X and Y kept their story relatively unobtrusive in that regard.. but I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous it sounds with having pokemon actually participating in wars.. considering the fact that if 3000 years ago, the whole Pokeball/Pokecenter/PC/Training facilities probably didn't even exist at the time. One would think the petty concerns of man would be beyond them.. being most of them seem to be nothing more than animals and what not.

Honestly.. as much as I loved team flare, mostly based on how absolutely ridiculous they were both in concept and execution, I'm growing a little tired of these "evil teams" rising up out of nowhere with some plans of global domination in mind. They get in the way too much and bring the whole trainer's journey to a grinding halt. I enjoyed the game far more just running from town to town and battling with your in game friends and watching them grow (though honestly the only one who sorta does is your rival).. I legitimately started feeling bad for Serena every time I roflstomped her into the pavement.. because your rival seemed to actually have character.. most of the time.. and thats good! I'd really like to see the games focus more on that. The actual journey rather than some evil team sidequest that you need to put a damper on.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I thought the story was handled better than Black and White.. which seemed to try to do something epic but didn't really have the scope or the direction first. I appreciated that, for what it's worth, X and Y kept their story relatively unobtrusive in that regard.. but I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous it sounds with having pokemon actually participating in wars.. considering the fact that if 3000 years ago, the whole Pokeball/Pokecenter/PC/Training facilities probably didn't even exist at the time. One would think the petty concerns of man would be beyond them.. being most of them seem to be nothing more than animals and what not.

Honestly.. as much as I loved team flare, mostly based on how absolutely ridiculous they were both in concept and execution, I'm growing a little tired of these "evil teams" rising up out of nowhere with some plans of global domination in mind. They get in the way too much and bring the whole trainer's journey to a grinding halt. I enjoyed the game far more just running from town to town and battling with your in game friends and watching them grow (though honestly the only one who sorta does is your rival).. I legitimately started feeling bad for Serena every time I roflstomped her into the pavement.. because your rival seemed to actually have character.. most of the time.. and thats good! I'd really like to see the games focus more on that. The actual journey rather than some evil team sidequest that you need to put a damper on.

this is all my thoughts listed, wow

icelovebunnies9

Ghastly Dragon
    Years
  • I thought the storyline moved really quickly, one minute you first meet Lysandre and suddenly you're fighting Xerneas/Yveltal. But the plot is a bit interesting, and I do understand where Lysandre is coming from. His point of view on things makes sense and I understand why he's doing what he's doing.

Their fashion nonsense is really weird though. They have no sense of style. Well, I don't have that great of a sense of style so I'll just assume they have a bad sense of style. XD

Years

Well they may have had other methods to capture them. Maybe using apricorn balls, as they were used long before the industrial version of the Pokeball according a woman in Azalea town. Or using less powerful versions of the red chain.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm not sure if we should consider Lysandre as being evil, because just like Cyrus' point of view about emotion being destructive, his motivation on wiping out every Pokémon in the world does bring a point. From what we've seen from the 3000 year war, previous evil teams, and how the Pokémon were used Movie 8 and Movie 12, people have been fighting over the control of Pokémon. It is human nature that war is brought upon by greed, and the once the human race becomes overpopulated, our main sources become scarce, making wars more devastating than they were before. Hypothetically speaking, the only to end all wars is either destroy all humans or destroy the main source that brought them to greed in the first place, which were Pokémon. The plot is basically where Lysandre is secretly the good guy all along whereas you, the main hero, are the true villain for crushing his goal to save the world. Which brings me to this question: Do you agree with his goal? How does this reflect to the real world?

Back