• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
hello fellow writers \o/

lately I've been really wanting to write, but I can't think of an interesting plot that really motivates me to.. well.. write, you know?

what do you guys do when you're having writer's block? how do you overcome it?

other than just forcing yourself to write, that is... hehe

basically, I love writing fantasy/romance/adventure-themed stories, but I just can't think of a good plot - I kinda feel like I've done everything (I know I haven't!)

I think writing some short stories would help me get off my block, but gosh... I'm just not sure what to write about.

I know the characters I want to have in the story and that's about it. I have a ton of ideas written down, but I've never really done anything with them - they don't seem interesting enough to write at the moment.

should I try writing a genre I've never written before? how can I mix things up to get myself back into writing mode?

I wonder..... xD

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'm just getting over a pretty big writing slump myself, so maybe I can help! :D

I made this thread so people could share ideas with each other, but no one seems to be using it. I would recommend looking through it to see if anything pops out and maybe contributing an idea or two if you have them.

The way I'm climbing out of my slump is that I'm writing for other people. For instance, I'm asking other staff members how they got promoted, and then letting my imagination take the information and twist it into some sort of adventure. I'm not having to think of a plot, and the goal is already there. If you have some willing friends, try asking them for an idea, and then write about that.

This could just mean that you need to take a break as well. Just take a step back and not even think about writing for a little while. I know it has helped me in the past quite a few times, and it's actually more refreshing than I thought it would be.

I don't know, just some ideas to get you started.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
hehe yeah thanks!

I do a lot of writing for other people and I have a few stories I still have to finish for them, but I'm just not in the mood... >_<

I haven't really written much in a while, probably over a month. but yeah, I've been bugging friends for ideas xD I just can't seem to get myself started again.

thanks though, I'll check out that thread \o/ it's nice to talk to others who are having this problem ;w;

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
What might help as well is to write about anything. I wrote a short essay on how frustrating it was to not have any motivation to write. A friend of mine pointed out to me that writing is a great coping tool and no matter what you're feeling, you can always write it out.

In other words, try creative non-fiction. I know it has helped me a ton.

victini91

Star of the Victory
Years
Hello and good morning. I assume this thread could be the best in asking questions, and I have one.
Has anybody tried making expanded Pokedex? I mean, maybe the further backgrounds of the Pokemon, the origins, etc. rather than the short in-game infos.

I've heard about the 1000 word rule and I'm afraid my chapters are not reaching the criteria, as it could be a lot shorter (maybe drabbles). I may (maybe) want to write about it, if accepted by mods, but it's better to ask first because:
Writing is like a fart. If you force it, it's probably crap.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I've heard about the 1000 word rule and I'm afraid my chapters are not reaching the criteria, as it could be a lot shorter (maybe drabbles). I may (maybe) want to write about it, if accepted by mods, but it's better to ask first because:
Writing is like a fart. If you force it, it's probably crap.
I would just like to say that the 1,000 word "rule" is more of a suggestion than anything. I only enforce it when I think a chapter for a story is way too short. I don't check every chapter, and you could probably get by with a lot fewer words. 1,000 is just a good bench mark that's not an impossible number to reach.

Also, I only enforce it for chaptered fics. Meaning, poetry threads, drabble threads, and the like aren't affected by it. So, if it's for a project such as longer pokedex entries, it's fine by me.

victini91

Star of the Victory
Years
I would just like to say that the 1,000 word "rule" is more of a suggestion than anything. I only enforce it when I think a chapter for a story is way too short. I don't check every chapter, and you could probably get by with a lot fewer words. 1,000 is just a good bench mark that's not an impossible number to reach.

Also, I only enforce it for chaptered fics. Meaning, poetry threads, drabble threads, and the like aren't affected by it. So, if it's for a project such as longer pokedex entries, it's fine by me.

Thanks. I don't know if I will do good but I will try the best. :D

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Was poking my head in here to see how it looked and get an idea of how great of a mod you are Slayr! Love the splashes haha and they're creative too. (Although my creative mind is going "aaaaaaah needs more prettiness and colors D:") But now to stay on topic so you don't kick me out. :P
My project is actually going to be a choose your own adventure thing where I give you some options at the end of a section where you choose your option, click the link, and then it takes you to another part of the thread where the story continues from the choice you last made. I'm going to have a lot of fun with it, that's for sure!
I remember reading some books like that when I was younger and they were lots of fun. I would read them and choose different options each time until eventually I uncovered all the endings. :D If you do this let me know so I can read something for the first time in forever lol

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
EV said:
I remember reading some books like that when I was younger and they were lots of fun. I would read them and choose different options each time until eventually I uncovered all the endings. :D If you do this let me know so I can read something for the first time in forever lol
Can do!

I got the inspiration from a Goosebumps book. I don't remember the exact title, but it had to do with an evil theme park and I had so much fun going through and getting to all of the endings. I actually started to plan it out in math class (what else am I supposed to do?) and I took up the entire page and it still has a long way to go.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Can do!

I got the inspiration from a Goosebumps book. I don't remember the exact title, but it had to do with an evil theme park and I had so much fun going through and getting to all of the endings. I actually started to plan it out in math class (what else am I supposed to do?) and I took up the entire page and it still has a long way to go.
You can try paying attention and taking notes! I'm a hypocrite I know :p What is it going to be about mainly? Like the general setting and all. You got me curious and I'm thinking of random ideas too now. D:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I figured I better not get too complicated with the setting and everything, plus this is just an experiment, so it's going to be your typical haunted house, "What can you do to escape?" thing. Full of perilous slides, spider scientists, and a hall of mirrors that's nearly impossible to get through, or come back out.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I figured I better not get too complicated with the setting and everything, plus this is just an experiment, so it's going to be your typical haunted house, "What can you do to escape?" thing. Full of perilous slides, spider scientists, and a hall of mirrors that's nearly impossible to get through, or come back out.
Have it where like each room has so many doors and you choose one to go through and depending on which one you choose you end up in a different room where there's new horrors? And have clowns with chainsaws and zombies and all that good stuff?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years

Have it where like each room has so many doors and you choose one to go through and depending on which one you choose you end up in a different room where there's new horrors? And have clowns with chainsaws and zombies and all that good stuff?
Okay, let's not get too cliche here. :P

When I was planning this out in math, I realized just how many segments I'm going to have to write out. Just assembling the thread is probably going to take a good hour.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Okay, let's not get too cliche here. :P

When I was planning this out in math, I realized just how many segments I'm going to have to write out. Just assembling the thread is probably going to take a good hour.
But I love zombies and chainsaws. D: You could start out small and see how it goes instead of doing one huge one to begin with?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Are you kidding? It wouldn't be a project if I didn't bite off more than I could chew.
My first writing project was a novel! :D Took me about 7 years to actually write it beginning to end. But then later I went back and realized I only have about half the story written down. ;.;

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years

My first writing project was a novel! :D Took me about 7 years to actually write it beginning to end. But then later I went back and realized I only have about half the story written down. ;.;
My first project was a novel too!

One thing I learned is that it's probably not the best place to start. My current project was the first time I made it past the second chapter, and one thing is clear. I need a lot of work if I'm going to continue with this writing stuff.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
My first project was a novel too!

One thing I learned is that it's probably not the best place to start. My current project was the first time I made it past the second chapter, and one thing is clear. I need a lot of work if I'm going to continue with this writing stuff.
You should try this style of writing where you write an entire story in a page or less. It's actually lots of fun and requires you to leave out a ton of stuff and have the reader between the lines a lot. You could consider it an exercise in learning how to develop a character and/or setting in a limited amount of words and learn to not use so much detail but just enough to get your story across to others.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Gosh darnit guys (mostly EV for "encouraging" me to post here hmph), now I want to continue writing and revising stories I started on like half a year ago D:<

EDIT: Nope, changed my mind within 10 minutes, time to start a fresh one.

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
same here tbh. I started poking around in here and then suddenly I had my story planning notes from november on my desk and the first 500 words i had written for them like what how did this happen

im never actually going to make any progress but hey at least i look at it like twice a day

i'm not even far enough into it to call it started. but i really like the idea and keep thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back