• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
  • Not sure, maybe it was just my phone. So much for reading on the bus x.x I've also gone back to revising one of my older infinished works. I keep jumping around D: I'm only planning to release the currently untitled one though. At least for now, maybe when I'm more confident about it in the future. But are we allowed to have more than on fic at a time? Especially since I don't write on a regular basis for either ><

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Sure, you can post more than one ongoing fic, no worries there. Just as long as the parts you do post are finished at the time of posting, really.

tabor62

Years
  • Hmm, I see. Also I decided I might post the other story instead with chapter increments. I'm so indecisive D:

EDIT: Urk, my laptop died without me noticing. I hope my work was recovered by Word x.x I don't have access to my charger at the moment either so I'm going ti be sitting here in worry for another 2-3 hours. It's torture D:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016

Fanfiction isn't necessarily copying. A lot of fanfiction writers expand on lesser known characters and branch out the story in a completely different direction, drop in a million of their own original characters and ideas, etc.
    You're still starting with something someone else wrote. I just can't do it. I have to be completely original. The moment it starts to remind me of another story I throw it away and go to something else. I'm very picky like that. D:

tabor62

Years

• You're still starting with something someone else wrote. I just can't do it. I have to be completely original. The moment it starts to remind me of another story I throw it away and go to something else. I'm very picky like that. D:

Better let other people read it too, in case it sounds like something they've read. Can't use normal terms either mmk? o3 o (Like call humans xxdsas or something instead, not that you can now cuz I just used it)

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I mostly write original works. I just don't really have any ideas for fan fiction that other people haven't done to death. I'm picky like EV where my ideas have to be pretty original.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016

Better let other people read it too, in case it sounds like something they've read. Can't use normal terms either mmk? o3 o (Like call humans xxdsas or something instead, not that you can now cuz I just used it)
    Oh shush you. I've gotten to the point where I've read so many different books in different genres that rarely do I find something I haven't seen before. I don't want to write about X falling in love with Y but Y really likes Z ewww too cliche :P
    I mostly write original works. I just don't really have any ideas for fan fiction that other people haven't done to death. I'm picky like EV where my ideas have to be pretty original.
    Yay! Someone understands my insanity :D

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Each to their own, really! Like how some genres interest some people but won't appeal to others, same goes for fics in reading/writing.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    It's actually pretty common I think. Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Star Wars all have pretty extensive canons as well, often produced by fans who manage to get their ideas into the real deal. (Doctor Who having a ton of actors who started off fans, two Doctors who are lifelong fans, the two latest showrunners also fans.) Sherlock Holmes is constantly being reinterpreted, mostly via television and film but there are a decent amount of books written using the characters. And they're old, too.
    The Star Trek novels were what helped to create my interest in Star Trek. I was always a reader over watching television, so being able to read adventures about the same characters that my father watched on television was really great for me.

There's quite a few examples of what I like to call "published fanfiction." The book series I'm reading now, DragonLance, has over 190 books in the series, written by a group of different people. The whole thing started with a trilogy of books written by two people, and they were able to expand the story to three more books. From there, the series grew to the mess it is today.

The DragonLance trilogy that I'm reading now is written by someone who wrote DragonLance fiction to start. He wrote a short story about a character and sent it in for the creators to read. They liked it so much that they published the short story in a collection, and now he's written five books in the series (that I know of).

For me, I only write fanfiction. The worlds that I write in are places that I want to explore further, or the characters are those that I want to spend more time with. Two of the franchises I'm writing for have their own clichéd plots. Pokemon has the original trainer saving the world idea. Digimon has the rewriting of the second season. But each story that I've read in those franchises about those stories all have their different takes on them because each author is different. The Digimon Adventure 02 fanfic that I'm reading is completely different from the Digimon Adventure 02 fanfic that I'm writing.

In short, there's really no such thing as a completely original story. You can summarize Star Wars and Harry Potter in the exact same way, and yet they're wildly successful franchises that people enjoy.

Writing original works or writing fanfiction presents different challenges for the writer. There's a writer that I follow who once thought that writing fanfiction was completely easy until he tried it. And he said that writing fanfiction was just as challenging as writing original work.

tabor62

Years
  • Thinking about posting the first 3 chapters of my already existing story later tonight if possible but... AAAH D:

I'm so nervous D: The first half sounds like crap, the second half is slightly less crap, and everything sounds rushed and cliche and stuffs D:

*visibly panics*

EDIT: I said screw it and posted it. Hope it doesn't look too bad >.<

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I have a headache right now, and it's time for me to go to bed, but I'll be writing something soon. I've been thinking about an article about the history of Scyther and how people in the olden days used them.

tabor62

Years
  • The Writer Dex looks pretty cool but... I'm not too big on writing about anything Pokemon related and I've only done so on three occasions for contests haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Okay, I feel like just letting my fingers go wild. I'll publish a story now. I know which way it'll go. It's the details that are difficult. So I figured, screw details, I'll just write and write and see what my brain creates. Maybe the details will fall into place as I write. Mind that this'll won't be a masterpiece, not a completely refined and finished project. Just... Something. That's okay, right?

/rant :D

tabor62

Years
  • Okay, I feel like just letting my fingers go wild. I'll publish a story now. I know which way it'll go. It's the details that are difficult. So I figured, screw details, I'll just write and write and see what my brain creates. Maybe the details will fall into place as I write. Mind that this'll won't be a masterpiece, not a completely refined and finished project. Just... Something. That's okay, right?

Those were really good actually >.< I hope to refine my writing level to that point someday haha. I normally don't have too much interest in random stories like that but they hooked me somehow.

Bay

Years
  • Gonna backtrack a bit, lol.

For me, I only write fanfiction. The worlds that I write in are places that I want to explore further, or the characters are those that I want to spend more time with. Two of the franchises I'm writing for have their own clichéd plots. Pokemon has the original trainer saving the world idea. Digimon has the rewriting of the second season. But each story that I've read in those franchises about those stories all have their different takes on them because each author is different. The Digimon Adventure 02 fanfic that I'm reading is completely different from the Digimon Adventure 02 fanfic that I'm writing.

In short, there's really no such thing as a completely original story. You can summarize Star Wars and Harry Potter in the exact same way, and yet they're wildly successful franchises that people enjoy.

Pretty much this. I remember a while back I was upset over how the story I was writing I think another writer will do it better and have more reviews. My beta and another friend then told me that yeah their interpretation will be different, but not better. With fanfiction it's great to see different takes on a rewrite of canon, what happens after canon, etc.
    Okay, I feel like just letting my fingers go wild. I'll publish a story now. I know which way it'll go. It's the details that are difficult. So I figured, screw details, I'll just write and write and see what my brain creates. Maybe the details will fall into place as I write. Mind that this'll won't be a masterpiece, not a completely refined and finished project. Just... Something. That's okay, right?

Yeah I tend to do that a lot too when I write. I'll know a direction I want, just the details not refined yet. I just write what I feel like and then edit it later, haha. Wish you luck on your story, though! *thumbs up*

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

Those were really good actually >.< I hope to refine my writing level to that point someday haha. I normally don't have too much interest in random stories like that but they hooked me somehow.
    thanks! That means a lot to me :) don't worry, I've written a ton of texts in my years but still can't master the English language as well as I'd like. Experience is a key.

Yeah I tend to do that a lot too when I write. I'll know a direction I want, just the details not refined yet. I just write what I feel like and then edit it later, haha. Wish you luck on your story, though! *thumbs up*
    thank you :33 I'll likely keep posting short chapters, and come up with how the plot and characters fit together as I go.

Broncos

Jesus take the wheel
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2016
    I honestly cannot remember the last time I read a book, or did research on something. I have a mind that's constantly on 7,000 revs per minute. I've got the fuel to take me to the moon and back but it's hard for me to properly articulate myself. My words trip over each other making it look like gibberish. There have been times where I completely erase everything because I know that nobody but me will understand it. Maybe it's my ethnicity, I tell myself, but it's not that; it's my lack of proper focus and concentration. I like listening to music as I type; I like aggressive music with that chorus that screams, "LET GO!!!", even though I'm writing about a heart-filled story about a loved one.

Our fingers are like a fresh flat-top that's waiting for that protein. The thoughts are the spices and seasoning that help marinate the product... Our fingers are the chef that watch over the Chilean Seabass as it gets sautéed. The sudden burst of volume that's sending musical comfort to your inner-soul are the steamed vegetables. Finished off with the grammatical perfection, or also known as a brown butter meunière sauce, only to be enjoyed thoroughly by an interested and fascinated individual.

Yeah.

Check please.

I've always told myself, "go ahead... Write something others will enjoy". No seriously, I have. But I simply have no clue how to go about doing such a thing. I have ideas but can a fictional reality, an idea with no substance truly capture the attention of today's society? Isn't first-hand experience crucial for such a thing?

Humor is no problem.
    Adjectives, metaphors, etc. isn't a problem.
    Time isn't a problem.

Is it just the desire to sit and write until your imagination has come to life? The seed you've decided to plant... To grow. To proved fruit for other species so that they can recycle back to the plain of social circles and community that was created out of nothing?

My story would probably bomb. I just can't stay on-topic. Suspense I can do but it's a build up that requires time; constant addition to the finished product. I jump from 1st to 2nd base then back to the pool... See, I just cannot make a point. It's always been a flaw of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Please remember that there is no double posting. If you have something to add and you're the last poster, please edit into your old post instead of making a new one.

I think we all struggle with something like that. I don't necessarily struggle with staying on topic, but rather with motivation.

Ah writing, it's a love/hate relationship, isn't it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back