• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Things in B/W that irritate you - discussion!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    My main issue with B/W is that I can't have level 50/100 6v6 online battles on wi-fi like it did with the entire fourth generation. That means that I'll never be able to have balanced fights with people, & a lot of them can't have IV battles anymore.

Also, the subtle lack of post-game content in this makes this thing go downhill fast after one has beaten Ghetsis & especially the champion.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    The slowness of getting through doors
    Battle Subway is pretty naff imo

That's the only things in-game really. What actually annoys me is people's attitude towards the game... two main complaints
    - I really wish people would hush up about how "rubbish" the Pokémon are. Really. It's boring now. Trade for older Pokémon via WiFi if they annoy you so much.
    - Post-game? You want more POST GAME? I.e. ONCE YOU'VE ALREADY FINISHED IT?! Just enjoy the fact you've completed it... but maybe that's just me. I finish a game, I move on.

In that respect this was probably a bad thread for me to come into haha!

I found Black to be much better than Emerald and a MILLION times better than Gen IV (save for the remakes). Better storyline, and I dunno... I just had more fun playing it. Diamond bored me so much.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2011
    Game was way too easy until you first time don't beat elite four with plasma. Even then after few battle you gain enough lvl to OHKO all pokemon.... again...

.Scream

Professor
    Years
  • No re-battling qualities. :( Nintendo made Heart Gold and Silver great with the re-battling so why take it away?! I mean I know there's always the Elite4, Cynthia, the GameFreak guy and your rival.
    Plus the jump from winning the league and completing the storyline to level 60 Sunkerns. Like wtf?

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • No gym leader re-battles, they probably left them out to include in the third version which just pisses me off

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    My main issue with B/W is that I can't have level 50/100 6v6 online battles on wi-fi like it did with the entire fourth generation. That means that I'll never be able to have balanced fights with people, & a lot of them can't have IV battles anymore.

Also, the subtle lack of post-game content in this makes this thing go downhill fast after one has beaten Ghetsis & especially the champion.
    Yeah this is actually something that I was really unfortunetaly surprised by :/ My friend and I were like naaahhh that's not right, wait what? Yeah that was strange.

Idk what I also find annoying is that pretty much throughout the whole game, trainers are easy and low level and whatnot, and then post game it's all lvl 60 and stuff.

BryGuy Shinigami

Psychic Pokemon Prophet
    Years
  • -No way to rebattle the gym leaders: I liked battling Lenora, Elesa, and Brycen.
    -Lack or replay value, especially after the big replay value in SoulSilver/ HeartGold.
    -No way to find N after you beat him.
    -lack of stuff to do in the building in Castelina City (that building with all those clerks and their leader was a janitor) I was craving more after beating him.

Years
  • One thing and one thing only for me - Its the story.. its bad.

Normally pokemon games are all about just going to the other towns and challenging the gyms with the occasional ruffians along the way that want to use some legendary power to rule the world or something. It's not epic, it's not "grand" .. Black and White tires this, and.. it's very very clumsy plot wise. I mean, the ides is something everyone's joked about.. using pokemon as slave labor of sorts, and it's nice to see them try to put some actual honest thought into a story for once.. but.. my god. Hire some writers or something, Game Freak. Team Plasma, the Sages mostly, spill ALL kinds of vital info like, how many there are, who the sages are, what their master plan is.. probably in the attempt to make them sound mysterious and threatening.. and you don't even fight them for any of it. Every time they talk, they remind me of the brainswarm in Futurama. In that voice no less. Going on about how smart they are and how they can never be thwarted.. and yet they're totally inept. And N is no better.. he literally tells you where and how to catch the legendary pokemon so you can stop him. A more realistic approach would probably have the main character researching it on his own, I dunno.. a Gym Leader or something help him out with it. Its like Team Plasma is afraid of success or something, and literally set themselves up to be defeated. They literally WANT you to crush them mercilessly.. What the hell is this? Explain yourself Gamefreak, explain yourself!

I honestly like the old way better in this case. Sure the interactions were kinda goofy, but you didn't have the bar raised so high.. you can't just start talking about legendary kings and dragons and then totally drop the ball just like that. The initial set up deserves more than that. I just can't help but laugh and roll my eyes at how stupid everyone is in Unova. And coming from a pokemon game that already has a pretty stupid virtually non-existant story, thats saying something. I kinda want a game where there is no badges.. cuz I mean, really.. isn't that the point? Just let me run around and catch and breed and battle.. this plot line nonsense is getting old.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    I just hated about how I was trying to rush through this game and it seems that like after every corner I turned Cheren or Bianca would be there to stop me and battle me. It was just a waste of my time. I also hated how before most every gym battle team plasma was always there delaying me from getting those badges as soon as possible.
    I was rushing because I made a bet with a friend that I would buy the game on like tuesday and have a level 100 team ready by friday night.
    Oh and I spent like 15 minutes In the second gym with the library lenora's puzzle trumped me until I looked it up on google lol. Legend of Zelda puzzles are easier IMO.

flubbateios

The pokemon weird me out, like Heatmor is a weird fire type anteater, where as in Pokemon Red or so a Charizard is based on a huge fire dragon.

pokeskate

Lerroux says "bye-bye!
    Years
  • It annoyed me that you get to chose which order you fight the elite 4. It made it easier too cuz the statue even tells you what type each person has so you can prepare. i miss the ridiculously long championship stairs:)

Khall

Permafrost
    Years
  • My main problem was how they removed useful TMs like Dark Pulse and Roost. Also the ridiculously high-leveled wild Pokemon post-game.

Other than that, I really don't have much to complain about.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • My main problem was how they removed useful TMs like Dark Pulse and Roost. Also the ridiculously high-leveled wild Pokemon post-game.

Other than that, I really don't have much to complain about.

yes. No Dark Pulse, no Roost, no Stealth Rock, no Drain Punch, no Giga Drain. They replaced all good TM's with suckish ones.

After the game, I was like woah!!!! The trainers and the Pokemon had their levels set ten levels higher. I mean, woah!

Celestial Daze

Holiday Alt. = Holidaze
    Years
  • It annoyed me that you get to chose which order you fight the elite 4. It made it easier too cuz the statue even tells you what type each person has so you can prepare. i miss the ridiculously long championship stairs:)

Regardless of this, you still have the same time to use items, and there's 4 of them. And due to the type rectangle it's harder to have a team not weak to everybody ...

What annoyed me was, simply putting it the drama behind the game. Everything you do either Cheren or Bel appear and that become a pointless task you can't skip over. Basically to much "sidequests".

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • The rivals appear too much, almost after every Gym Battle or even randomly around Routes. Imagine your Poke's HP is like very low and you need to rush to the nearest PC, then Bianca appears demanding a battle. So bossy.

Celestial Daze

Holiday Alt. = Holidaze
    Years
  • Well,that falls on what I said on the previous post too, I guess the rival mechanic is getting old. Mostly because,nowadays they aren't rivals, they are friends.
    Gary was an idiot,but an idiot that didn't like you.
    Silver was a criminal,and it didn't like you.
    May/Brendan was neutral toward you,
    And from Generation IV+ ...

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    The extremely long and annoying Team Plasma speeches always drive me insane. I think I'm always complaining about the speeches. xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The rivals appear too much, almost after every Gym Battle or even randomly around Routes. Imagine your Poke's HP is like very low and you need to rush to the nearest PC, then Bianca appears demanding a battle. So bossy.

Well technically she gives you time to prepare. :x I mean other than on that one route in the desert, I don't really think them not giving you time to prepare for a battle is really an issue. Idk I'd be more annoyed at N if anything, especially HIS FIRST EVER BATTLE, forced to battle a Pokemon you've NEVER SEEN BEFORE from a route you've never been to, totally intimidating for new trainers! :(

...though in reality N is creepy/worse with battles. :x

It annoyed me that you get to chose which order you fight the elite 4. It made it easier too cuz the statue even tells you what type each person has so you can prepare. i miss the ridiculously long championship stairs:)

Pfft, making it easier is a good thing tbh, since in past games you couldn't backtrack and go an easy route, saving your revives etc and leaving them for the harder trainers later. You just had to save in the past, but now on my playthrough's I haven't saved :3 Idk there was something about closed doors in past games that made me wanna save. XD But yeah I like being able to choose the way you go, really, choice ftw.

The extremely long and annoying Team Plasma speeches always drive me insane. I think I'm always complaining about the speeches. xD

But they're so very insightful! Actually tbh yeah I do skip through them, but the first time it was pretty interesting to hear what Ghetsis was saying, I think that was one of the main things I was looking forward to... getting to see what Ghetsis finally was saying at Accumula. XD;

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022

Well technically she gives you time to prepare. :x I mean other than on that one route in the desert, I don't really think them not giving you time to prepare for a battle is really an issue. Idk I'd be more annoyed at N if anything, especially HIS FIRST EVER BATTLE, forced to battle a Pokemon you've NEVER SEEN BEFORE from a route you've never been to, totally intimidating for new trainers! :(

...though in reality N is creepy/worse with battles. :x

Pfft, making it easier is a good thing tbh, since in past games you couldn't backtrack and go an easy route, saving your revives etc and leaving them for the harder trainers later. You just had to save in the past, but now on my playthrough's I haven't saved :3 Idk there was something about closed doors in past games that made me wanna save. XD But yeah I like being able to choose the way you go, really, choice ftw.

But they're so very insightful! Actually tbh yeah I do skip through them, but the first time it was pretty interesting to hear what Ghetsis was saying, I think that was one of the main things I was looking forward to... getting to see what Ghetsis finally was saying at Accumula. XD;
    I read through it the first time too, but after that his speeches were just too long-winded for me. x]

Back