• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Things in B/W that irritate you - discussion!

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • Lack of these Pokemon Types:
    Steel,Water,Fire,Poison,Dragon(Always lacking in number) and Ice(Also always lacking in number
    Too much Gym Leaders!
    No version(Like Emerald,Green,Crystal,Platinum)

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    Basically the storyline not going deep enough. The true motivations of team plasma, and the exploration of N as a character.

They passed up on a great opportunity to make Pokemon storyline more intriguing and mature. Something I think the games need to strive for.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I loved Black and White pre-Elite 4 but after that...nothing. It was really disappointing! It was just some grinding, walking paths (with little significance) and running into a sage every once in awhile who you couldn't battle or anything. I know most Pokemon games are like this but I had higher expectations for BW, plus it just seemed...dryer.

That and like every Pokemon game, I'm annoyed by the lack of recognition your trainer gets. My guy has not lost a single battle and is on his way to the Elite 4, people should know who I am and want to beat me. If not then, then definitely after I become Champion and foil Team Plasma! I want fans. :'(

Finally, I kind of miss the Follow-Me feature from HGSS.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    That and like every Pokemon game, I'm annoyed by the lack of recognition your trainer gets. My guy has not lost a single battle and is on his way to the Elite 4, people should know who I am and want to beat me. If not then, then definitely after I become Champion and foil Team Plasma! I want fans. :'(

This. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It was kind of cool that once you got a black trainer card in Diamond, Nurse Joy would recognize you, though. and Honestly, with all these mini games and what not, I wouldn't mind them implementing a system where you can take on challengers as the Champion.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Being limited to 3 Pokemon if I want to play Single Random Matchup matches, or if I'm using Flat Rule to play with a friend who doesn't have all lv100s. Pretty much ruins the whole thing.

Years
  • a minor thing that made no sense (and could boil down to nintendo's laziness) is that during some of the xtranciever conversations, your character always has a smile on their face, even through some of the more grim matters. they could've made some more facial expressions, y'know? it's not that hard...

also, not being able to rebattle gym leaders blows.

also, It would've been nice to be able to fly somewhere at the airport rather, than serve no real purpose for being there.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Here's a couple:

• The fact that they removed Pokemon from following you.
    • The severe lack of Triple/Rotation battles, ESPECIALLY from the Battle Subways.
    • No battle frontier (or similar location). I can't complain too much, though, since the 'first' two versions only ever have the Battle Tower (Subways in this case). So help me Arceus, if we don't have a battle frontier in a third version...
    • MY HAND :O I can't believe they removed the B-Button lock for running. D:
    Might have more, but these are minor. The game was great, basically.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • a minor thing that made no sense (and could boil down to nintendo's laziness) is that during some of the xtranciever conversations, your character always has a smile on their face, even through some of the more grim matters. they could've made some more facial expressions, y'know? it's not that hard...
    I noticed something similar about that - your character is always holding that darn hat of his. In. Every. Single. Convo. Why does he assume that pose everytime? =( Added to the whole 'always smiling' thing.
    The severe lack of Triple/Rotation battles, ESPECIALLY from the Battle Subways.
    Double battles as well, actually. Many times I felt that a double battle was coming but... only several single battles. Often happened with Platinum in which they took turns to take you on instead of battling you as the same time when in pairs or more. =/
    The fact that they removed Pokemon from following you.
    MY HAND :O I can't believe they removed the B-Button lock for running. D:
    I think that happned because there were two different teams working on HGSS and BW at the same time (after all, they came out a year after the other), so some things probbaly were only the result of one team, like the B-button removal and Pokemon following you.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • What irritates me in B/W is the partner trainer in the Battle Subway. The partner has very limited pokemon that is is ONLY gen V. I was hoping for some pkmn from older generations after getting the national dex on that trainer's roster but no. and I was hoping gen I-IV pokemon on the normal rank subway lines too afterwards. one more thing that irritates me is the lack of move tutors. I mean, NO ICE PUNCH, Zen Headbutt, Low Kick, Seed Bomb, Iron Head, Earth Power, none of that? It would've made the game even more fun because imagine a elemental punching Golurk?

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Firstly, the pokemon box movement. i liked the one in DPPT where you just hold A and it turns orange or smth, and you can drag everything to move at once. Now, you have to manually drag one by one to a box.. ahh. Then theres the battle subway which is rather boring than battle frontier cause theres more stuff to do there. And theres the similar type elite 4 with afew pokes..

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • I think that happned because there were two different teams working on HGSS and BW at the same time (after all, they came out a year after the other), so some things probbaly were only the result of one team, like the B-button removal and Pokemon following you.
    I forgot about this, but it does make sense.

Also, I have no problems with Garbodor, but what would have made it so unbelievable OP if it could learn Poison Jab? It wouldn't make it particularly potent or anything...

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    If you compare the staff credits between the two games, most of the programmers and several artists who worked on HG/SS are also credited in B/W for what it's worth.

On tight development schedules, things have to be cut - especially as every single Pokémon sprite in B/W needed to be redrawn in one way or another, drawing follower sprites for the Gen V Pokémon was something that didn't make the deadline.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2011
    I know there are so many pokemon in Unova, but it just seems my choices are really limited

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2012
    I wouldn't mind them implementing a system where you can take on challengers as the Champion.
    That would be amazing! I found the entire story to be rather short--I mean, you only get to explore half the region before you battle the Elite Four (which is itself underwhelming), and after that there isn't much motivation or framework in which to explore the rest of Unova. I think a Champion post-game would really help the post-story gameplay be more useful and interesting.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    a minor thing that made no sense (and could boil down to nintendo's laziness) is that during some of the xtranciever conversations, your character always has a smile on their face, even through some of the more grim matters. they could've made some more facial expressions, y'know? it's not that hard...

It's not even a good smile either, the animation quality in those xtranceiver cut scenes are kinda creepy. To be honest, if they were something like those tiny images in Mystery Dungeon, that might've made Juniper/etc look more realistic. I mean sure they were Pokemon, but still...!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    And then they wouldn't have looked anything like you're actually communicating over the C-Gear.

Considering that the scenes are sparsely used and consist of quickly downscaled copies of promotional art from two different artists, it's pretty easy to come to the conclusion that they were not a massive priority in development and got quickly thrown in to provide a cutscene that's of better quality than HG/SS's "Talking over a phone without picture or video chat like it's still 1999"

Years
  • I was intimidated by how superior the Elite Four was in the Pokémon League! Level grinding to the max...but it was still really fun. Anyways the thing that really grinds my Klinklangs (lol) was the way I thought Kyurem would be the best Pokémon ever, besides Arceus, and he only knew a few moves.

Back