• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

Showing off the new Zelda would have been a lot more exciting if Nintendo hadn't of broken their promises for the fifty millionth time with the game, and delayed it to 2017, just so they'd have a game to put on the NX...much like they did with Twilight Princess. For all the good that did.

I've so far spent about $16 on Steam and Humble Bundle content, which isn't terrible as one was a gift, one was DLC, and the rest was the Sonic Humble Bundle. I do have a few games I want to get, but I'm not sure what to expect in them, and there's no demos so it's all or nothing if I decide to commit to them.
    I'm holding out for everything to be released before I buy that bundle...hoping for Sonic 3 at least. Either way, I'm grabbing that too; it's the only good thing to come out of Sonic since Generations in my opinion.

I definitely agree here. Nintendo always did presentations, but the past couple of years have been massive cop-outs in my opinion. Doing a video is so incredibly weak of them. I miss when they had big presentations and videos for upcoming games and it was a live presentation with the various CEOs, and I really do wish they'd go back to that. Perhaps they might next year with the NX being released by then and it'll definitely need more than just a video.
    Yeah, Nintendo used to OWN E3. It was always something fresh and exciting. Not to say that the infrequent directs aren't good, because they usually are, but that's just it - they're infrequent. And, for E3 at least, they're a poor substitute for a proper presentation. It's like they've given up these past couple of years...I can't see NX being the change they need, but then, I have no idea what the NX is because they're so damn close-mouthed about it. Time will tell, I suppose...

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I didn't even watch the Sony conference, was too busy playing all the content that was, well... "And it's availaaabbbllleee....... Now!" as well as Halo Wars II beta.

I do have to say on indies, it's less on not showing indies, more on showing good indies. I think Microsoft did a decent job of this myself. That was probably the only conference that really got me even a little excited (since most of it is coming to PC)

I swear we're headed the direction of the next video game crash. The next E.T. will soon be upon us...

Yeah, Nintendo used to OWN E3. It was always something fresh and exciting. Not to say that the infrequent directs aren't good, because they usually are, but that's just it - they're infrequent. And, for E3 at least, they're a poor substitute for a proper presentation. It's like they've given up these past couple of years...I can't see NX being the change they need, but then, I have no idea what the NX is because they're so damn close-mouthed about it. Time will tell, I suppose...

Hopefully it's more of the "revolution" than the WiiU was...

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • The minute i learn how to add borders with GIMP to create some kickass userbars (like the ones i have right now), we suddenly get a threadplosion.

Again, I'm happy with my E3 viewing, especially since i got 2/3 of my guesses right (Quake Champs, New Serious Sam game, even though its VR).

Its a good thing I drank some of Kratos' Strong coffee. Anyway, I completely forgot that i removed by BattleNet App. Time for another redownload of said thing so i can safely plug in my Overwatch product code.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • E3 seems to get weaker and weaker with each passing year...or maybe I'm just getting disinterested.
    Well...thing is, prior to...2014? E3 was on a downward spiral that it looked like it couldn't recover from, with the highlights being pretty much only the laughable performances and even more laughable announcements (Wonderbook and the annual Call of Duty being some of my favorites). It was unfortunate, especially considering E3 beforehand had been pretty fun consistently, even if we did get things like Wii Music and Ridge Racer.

And that we still have E3 today as an event that people are actually interested in is nothing short of surprising, looking back. E3 2014 came out of nowhere with good stuff, and Nintendo probably had one of their best, most consumer-savvy presentations- hell, business ventures ever. And last year was exciting, if nothing else, with Sony, in particular, killing it with announcements that weren't even necessarily exclusive to their hardware. That this year was lukewam by comparison is still a hell of a lot better than what we got in 2011, 2012, and most certainly 2013. Oh God.

Oh God.

Speaking of Nintendo, I was pissed when they announced their E3 strategy for this year, was slightly intrigued when I found out things wouldn't much go that way, and despite the fact that the Zelda grabbed me far more than I expected it to and Pokemon showed some good stuff, this whole strategy they've had these past two years of focusing on a few games to garner massive consumer interest is, frankly, incredibly flawed and they certainly don't play on the strengths of it, especially when the biggest complaint one could make about Nintendo's home console right now is that there are no games. Exaggerating, of course, but looking forward, that's true. And this idea of hyping games, in particular Zelda, that already have a good deal of attention on them and would have with a mere trailer is just mindbogglingly idiotic. Yes, it worked with Splatoon, and it's meteoric rise in popularity after being announced by surprise is something that should be studied and remembered, because I think that was one of their greatest promotional successes, but how they're going about trying to repeat that is...not smart. Not efficient. Not...eh, rambling.

pkmin3033

E3 has become a mirror of the companies that participate in it, I think - it relies almost entirely upon its reputation to attract the attention of gamers. You would think it would have happened sooner given that it happened a lot sooner with the companies themselves, but I think they've cottoned on to the fact that they don't need to put as much effort into their shows as they used to. I mean, look at how successful Nintendo was with Zelda this year despite announcing it ahead of time. The names themselves have drawing power; the content doesn't matter as long as it has the name attached to it...within reason, of course. It's all about fan expectations again - play to those and you do well regardless of whether it's a surprise. Go against them and you're either boring or scandalous. It's...dull.

FUN doesn't seem to enter video games anymore. I think it was Iwata who said that video games, above all else, need to be fun, and that has always been the driving force behind Nintendo's titles as well, but I've been feeling that less and less from them over the last couple of years as the Wii U has failed utterly and they can't afford to be just "fun" anymore; they need to be commercial, and corporate, and all those other things they were not which made them so appealing...or distasteful, if you didn't like their "kiddy" approach to things.

Sure, there are echoes of the old Nintendo in there now, just as there are echoes of the old Square Enix, and so on. It's just been sapped of the...fun. For lack of a better term.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    So what's everyone's KILLER SOUNDTRACK when they feel like they need to be on a murderous bloodfrenzied rampage?

Despite the hate the developers got for the microtransactions nonsense, and their hatred of console gamers, the soundtrack to Payday 2 is incredible. Especially "Full Force Forward".

pkmin3033

Funny story, actually. There's a patch on Steam Workshop that you can get for Golden Axe - it turns it into a fully-functioning copy of Sonic 3. I'm not kidding.
    Turn one awesome game into another awesome game? Pretty...awesome. xD

I think they're being close-mouthed about it so that other industry players can't see into what Nintendo is doing with it, which is a double-edged sword, really.
    Yeah...you can't expect developers to make games for a console they know nothing about, and if the Wii U is anything to go by then Nintendo NEED that third party support if they don't want to fail. Given that the PS4 and Xbone will be around for a while, and the upgrades are likely to just be technical upgrades, the idea of them copying Nintendo's ideas again - PlayStation Move was a disaster anyway, and the less said about Kinect the better - seems a bit far-fetched really. I'd say they're closer to impaling themselves than the competition at this point...

...especially because Nintendo has never needed to compete with either of them. They've always catered to a completely different audience, which is why they've been so successful in the past.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • kwXR8i7.png

Brought to you by DanganDOOMpa coffee. Enjoy Hot and steamy Ripped and Torn Despair in a cup!

Holy cacodemons what happened here.

Then again, everybody has their own subjective definition of what FUN means. Mine involves death, destruction, and ludicrous gibs. What's yours?

So reading through everybody's posts, i think its the same complaint that you all have had for the past few days... E3 bein so boring because its just full of EXPLOSIONS, GUNNNNNNNSSSSSSSS, Graphic violence, and supermurder, games nowadays just catering to the likes of meatheads like myself (except, I'm not just a meathead, I'm a high functioning lunatic meathead)

And its my job to bring back some positivity in this thread.

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-system-shock-remastered-demo-is-coming-next-week/

SYSTEM SHOCK REMASTERED COMING NEXT WEEK LADIES! AND FOR THOSE WHO LOVED TEARING SHODAN A NEW ASSHOLE, WE CAN DO SO AGAIN, AND THEN WE CAN PUT THAT SEVERED HEAD AND TURN IT INTO A BARBEQUE AND...

oh god.. its a kickstarter campaign!

Arsenic

Years
  • Despite the hate the developers got for the microtransactions nonsense, and their hatred of console gamers, the soundtrack to Payday 2 is incredible. Especially "Full Force Forward".

Simon Viklund is a musical genius within his genre. And I couldn't imagine Bain with any other voice. Except maybe none... That would be nice... no more "The drill! Go get it!"

Not quite on the level of Kelly Bailey, Joel Neilson, or good ol' Marty O'Donnel but Simon is still great!

Also they've recently... kinda repealed... microtransactions. It's a step in the right direction.

I think I'll go play some PAYDAY now.

P.S. This is great for committing mass murder to

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'm glad that GGmanlives is my no.1 source of online reviews for FPS games. His reviews are so good and the way he articulates the good and bad things in whatever he reviews really makes more sense that most "professional" reviewers do. I highly recommend people to do so. And he covers other games as well so he's not only limited to his FPS speciality.

Oh and some ladies might find his accent smexy.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • People like GGmanlives and AngryCentaurGaming need far more viewers than they have. Instead everyone is obsessed with dildos like AngryJoe and TotalBiscuit.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I just did a marathon of AngryJoe and i think i need to jog for FOUR HOUUURRRRSSSSSSSSS in the morning when i wake up.
    h7ZEN9s.jpg

As for TotalBiscuit, well, he already knows that he's certainly the guy that people will love or hate. He knows that he isn't going to be liked. But he has made some seriously valid points in some cases like the whole DOOM vs Polygon video fiasco months ago where he simply ended the whole issue with just one paragraph.

Spoiler:

Someone needs to make a fan-made game of AVGN, JonTron, AngryJoe, ProJared, and Spoony where they form their 5 Man dynamic queue, but they have their own separate campaign that covers all of the things that they complain about in video games, in the form of a First Person Shooter. I would do it. Heck I could do some basic programming of such game RIGHT NOW if I'm in the mood.

Oh and Melly's going to love Spoony's deconstructive reviews of Final Fantasy >: )))))

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Generally, before this year, I have waited YouTube video game personalities for the most part. So many of them are loud, or just plain annoying, or don't really know how comedy works, or… I treat them the way I do most random YouTubers, just basically by ignoring them. Found the TB this year and his reviews were pretty on point, then they resonate a lot with mine, so I follow him now. Jim sterling, too. I watched Joe when he was a much smaller person, years back, but now… I would not touch one of his videos. He basically just does what all the big names do. And oh, the pandering. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've watched any of his videos, but I don't really have the desire to anymore. Who knows, he might still be entertaining maybe. Maybe.

Oh and Melly's going to love Spoony's deconstructive reviews of Final Fantasy >: )))))
    Spoony… I miss that guy. The Ultima retrospective, his final fantasy reviews, counter monkey...ugh. He was fun. But she would love him. After all, he may shit on 8, but 10 and 13 get it so much worse. And rightly so :d

That said, he also really likes Persona 4, so...hm...

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Admittedly, it's been a while since I've watched any of his videos, but I don't really have the desire to anymore. Who knows, he might still be entertaining maybe. Maybe.

Spoony… I miss that guy. The Ultima retrospective, his final fantasy reviews, counter monkey...ugh. He was fun. But she would love him. After all, he may **** on 8, but 10 and 13 get it so much worse. And rightly so :d

That said, he also really likes Persona 4, so...hm...

you should watch Joe when he streams a game and starts to experience the bullsh*t that he's getting himself into. His genuinely angry outbursts during those BS moments are pure gold because he is resonating with so much genuine anger. He did a livestream of Rambo: The Video game's DLC campaign Baker Team (and everyone who has seen AJ knows how much he rightfully shaat on that game) and the people voted that he played on the game's hardest Difficulty "John Rambo" (the game's version of the "The Last Heroic Challenging Man on this Lunatic Hell on Earth OF LEGENDS" difficulty) >:))))

Spoony has every right to say why he REAAALY LIKES Persona 4. I mean what's to hate about Persona 4? Its an RPG that explores moral and social issues regarding the acceptance of ones inner selves. What's not to dislike about a game that somehow feels close and related with our lives with characters having issues that somehow feel like what real people experience such as sexuality and gender issues (Kanji and Naoto, oh how I love shipping those two). I mean sure, obviously Blue Bears that hide a bishounen blonde blue eyed femmie boy that girls would drool over DO NOT EVER EXIST EVER, nor does mute gray haired teenagers, but come on guize. PERSONA 4 GUUUD. SO RELATABLE! SO CLOSE TO HOMIE!

Sure the battle system in Persona 4 is just about as complex as playing Rock-Paper-Scizors with your friends, but we all know that wasn't the thing Atlus was going for in that game >:)))

besides, Persona 4 also solved one of P3's bigger problems. AI controlled teammates. Oh god, AI teammates in P3 were atrocious.

*inb4triggerwarning* (activating my Riot Shield)..

in 3.... 2..... 1......

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Don't need to worry about that from me. I love Persona 4 and have very, very mixed feelings about Persona 3. I liked the story more, the characters more, the design was far better, the dungeons weren't nearly as much of a tedious grind as Tartarus was...Yeah. I have a lot of praises to sing for that game. Not so much three.

With that being said, at the very least, the movies for three completely outshines all of four's animated works.

Also, and this is a far more divisive point, but I like Pursuing Your True Self more than Burn my Dread. Aaaaanywaaaaay

pkmin3033

All I will say is this, because I will not condone it or stay quiet when I see others condoning it because I disagree with it that strongly: there is absolutely nothing praiseworthy about Yosuke's rampant homophobia and his treatment of Kanji, one of the only tolerable characters in the game. In no way is that acceptable. Any more than that and I'm going to textwall the hell out of this place and we all know how I feel about Persona 4 by this point, so I'll drop it.

...that said, I have promised to try Persona 2 whenever it goes on sale on the PSN store if it's a proper sale price. And I've got the two Devil Survivor games, so I'm keeping an open mind. There's Persona Q, too. Willing to bet I'll never see SMT IV Apocalypse though. Or at least, not in a proper release format, and not until a year after the US release. Because Atlus.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • But but but... Naoto is best grill..

So i just watched the latest AngryJoe Angry review a few minutes ago, its on Umbrella Corps (BUY THAT GAME ITS SO GOOD, Oh wait not really DO NOT and don't ever blame me for buying it) and while I have a lot to say about the production quality of his review this came near the end:

9Eo49f5.png

YEP. At the beginning of the video, he uses a Hellish pentagram symbol over a pure black background while some narration speaks out, very much similar to DOOM 4's intro sequence (They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you, you are worse, RIP AND TEAR, until it is done!) and during the ending sequence shown in the screenshot above, he was using one of the game's soundtracks for a few seconds ("BFG Division") and goes the typical AngryJoe sequence of him fighting Demon Joe and Corporate Commander. And some people in the comment section are already doing mad requests for him to review the game, even though the game has been out for quite a while now and almost every reviewer has already reviewed the game (Universally positive reception. Jim Sterling and GGmanlives in particular have already done excellent articulations of the game, especially GG's review which concisely cites what is GREAT about the game while still highlighting some of the nitpicky aspects as well as giving an insightful thought about the Doom modding community)

Okay my own personal review of this AngryJoe episode:
    Well, there's really nothing much to say. Common complaints about the game lacking in content and whatever, the same thing that has been a bane of every bad game that AJ has reviewed. But as for the episode's production value, an important element of an AJ Show was missing -> The Text comments that appear while Joe is speaking. Usually those white texts that appear in certain segments provide additional side comments that enhances his review, but unfortunately they were missing from this episode.. then again, he was reviewing a game that had really nothing much to talk about other than being a bland, repetitive, and misguided Capcom game that had nothing to offer. OH BUT THEN THE SIN COMES WHEN THE 2/10 RATING AND THE SEAL OF DISAPPROVAL DOESNT EVEN APPEAR!

then again, majority on this vid's comment box is usually them b**ching to Joe to review Uncharted 4...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Eh... talk about youtubers... here I thought I would have no idea what you are talking about only when you talked about improper voice actors.

besides, Persona 4 also solved one of P3's bigger problems. AI controlled teammates. Oh god, AI teammates in P3 were atrocious.
    P3 Portable did not really have this kind of problem :P

Also, and this is a far more divisive point, but I like Pursuing Your True Self more than Burn my Dread.
    Burn My Dread > PYTS

I thought everyone knew that Yosuke was annoying character whose only purpose was to be an useful party member.
    P4 is all about waifus.
    P4G is all about Marie.
    That's all it comes to.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • 4PdibZF.jpg

So I do not play League for like 20 f**king days, so i decided to go queue on a normal game since I know that my nerves is still there but god damn this was fun. Yep, slaughtered people with my 3rd best character, Hecarim. I didn't want to pick Xin since i didn't want to lose my first game after 20 days of not playing (Overwatch, Brutal Doom, and DOOM 2016 aka DOOM 4 (via my friend's place is where i play DOOM 4))... well.. I dunno, my team was great but my opponents were just bad..

15.0 match KDA when i have not played League for 20 days and picking a character that I need to work on.. Not bad, but i only did this since i need to get some papers printed.

Then i thought about why I haven't played League on our own servers... because it isn't worth it. I think i should just play on North America, even if I have to deal with a bit of Latency. then again, I did start playing on the NA Servers YEARS ago so i know how to deal with that bit of lag while I sit my ass down in the good ole' Philippines.

Then my friends are like, "YO XIN, LETS PLAY OVERWATCH VIA NA!" and I'm like "HOW THE F**K ARE WE GOING TO DEAL WITH A BIT OF LAG IN A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER YOU COCKS!"

Last edited:

Arsenic

Years
  • I almost forgot. I got some dumb content for FFxiv from Amazon. If you have a NORTH AMERICAN squenix account and want it let me know. I'll never use the damned thing...

So is anyone else laughing at Capcom for Umbrella Corps. Even if you don't believe in review sites holy crap I've never seen such low scores! It looks about as entertaining which I more likened to a slightly interactive movie.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back