• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
  • Did you steal anything from something OTHER than Pokemon?

Oh boy, I'd be held in custody for all the things I stole. Ranging from Legend of Zelda (names or character outlines) to many movies like Titanic.

What sets you in the mood to write?

A good song to set the environment usually gives me the mood to write. I do have those random surges to write, however. They're the worst to handle when you want to write and you don't have neither paper nor pen. <.<

If you could pick any character from any of your current or soon to be fics as a recurring character in one-shots or the like, who would they be?

David, not because he's my main character, but because he's got the personality I can explore the most and whose team is the most contradictory you can imagine.

So, lemme give it a try at a topic that has most likely been answered, but searching through 537 pages is committing social suicide. You only end in two days. Maybe less, if you don't eat. :p

How do you measure your character's Pokémon(s) strength? Using the game mechanics' levels, or other custom standards, such as experience?

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Ohhh boy. Love you Get back here long time. :D

I've been absent for the last couple of days, since I have been called to help audit a live system at College. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen, unfortunately I can not disclose much more AON.

But it's good to be back, even if for the duration of a blink, and noticing that, despite some comments above that we needed "more broad interaction / beyond bold topics", there has been a miniflood of bold topics here for me to comment by.

So... where to begin?

Why do you write fan-fiction?

I was there when the topic at Serebii began. I'm not bothering quoting the answer, since it is there for others to see (here). Suffices to say that writing them doen is the most effective way I have to stop those plot bunnies from eating my Vitamin-A-fed brain cells. That and I like to explore my literacy vein (I'm more of a computer kind of person).

If you could pick any character from any of your current or soon to be fics as a recurring character in one-shots or the like, who would they be?
    Lileep. Definitively Lileep. After having gone do some researching I liked the way I managed to write him, and I've actually received comments from people who say they liked the character as well. I wouldn't mind writing a longer, OT-style FIC with him and his soon-to-be-trainer going around next year (which is when I'll presumably be free enough to take writing as an actual hobby... figures!).

txteclipse's answer to the above
    I actually RP'd once with a character named Kai who was beta'ing a government-issued Porygon. The pokemon talked using wireless speakers in Kai's backpack and could download and use any number of a wide array of gadgets that the kid made, as long as there was a wifi connection. I loved that duo to death: their relationship was so hilarious. Kai was a grumpy, sociophobic geek, while Porygon was painfully outgoing and perpetually happy.

A happy-go-lucky Porygon speaking thru something like WAP+SSH+Espeak? It sounds awesome. I'd as much figure that such a character could be "conveniently" used for pranks like this one:

(xkcd #440)

And yes I like to make references to xkcd.

Seriously, txteclipse. Where is link? I want to read this.

And now that I think about it, I haven't read more than a handful stories that give interesting "uses" to Pokémon. There's the usual "water Pokémon for a shower" and "HM slave for fly/ surf", but that's it. Pokémon like Cloyster, Smeargle and Loudred have huge potential for "unusual everyday uses" but it's either I'm not looking at the right place, or no one is doing it.

And now that I recall even further, Green's Porygon was like some kind of Neo in The Matrix, hacking its way around a mainframe's cyberspace while with a berry attached, in the FRLG manga if I am not mistaken!

How do you measure your character's Pokémon(s) strength? Using the game mechanics' levels, or other custom standards, such as experience?

I try to not use game mechanics. Maybe adapt some of the more interesting ones to my works, but in no way I relate them to the concept of power or strngth via levels/exp/Rare Candies/whatever. (I count "experience" here by its in-game meaning)

I measure my characters' Pokémon's strength via custom standards, yes: the most important ones are their variety in battles sustained and their relation to the natural order of things. I project those variables in an X-Y axis with the most powerful Pokémon resulting farer from the "origin".

A Champion's Pokémon must be quite though and must have been trained to carry out very different commands under many different circumstances, as they have fought lots of enemies foes. It does not matter if they are just a baby Electrike, a grumpy Vigoroth and
    a newly-evolved Cradily
    who are not as important plot-wise as the 10-year-old's Chikorita who beat up Team PickAName to next week. They will fare better and have more powerful attacks than your everyday Gym Leader.
    As for the other axis, a "Legendary", being a personification of a power of nature or a creature that exists for a very specific purpose, will have access to a completely different power source, and hence a vastly larger power source, than your everyday überly-trained Salamence, no matter than the little Zapdos hatched from its egg (or something) just last week while Salamence (plus Trainer) has beaten the four Champions and 127 official battles in a row. Salamence will be fried by a Thundershock.

But overall I do not plug "hard numbers" or something that discretely sets a Pokémon's power or describes / fixates it. I merely use a relative system where it only matters that X is more powerful than Y, not the actual difference or their specific power levels. If I ever get to make use of "the numbers", I'll try for it to be purely for comedic scientific value.

D. Lawride said:
    So, lemme give it a try at a topic that has most likely been answered, but searching through 537 pages is committing social suicide. You only end in two days. Maybe less, if you don't eat. :p

I already suicided myself (and continue to do so) so that you guys won't have to! ;)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Did you steal anything from something OTHER than Pokemon?
    Insane lawyer commercials, insane car dealer commercials, World's Wildest Police Chases, James Bond, several romance animes, probably 75% of some 80's love song compilation album, the former (NOT CURRENT) Quality Inn of Anderson, SC (now a Holiday Inn... blah :/ ), and various listings on eBay Motors. Just to name a few.

Mostly by what moves they have and at what stage of their evolution they're at.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Did you steal anything from something OTHER than Pokemon?]

Hmm, indeed, I'm not too sure what I have stolen so far, nor what I will steal in the future.

Rest assured, I will at some point.

And I haven't been here in AGES.

What happened to this place? Where's the P gone?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

I have a rather simplified 'tier system' that divvies the 100 Levels up into about twenty rungs. There's tiers 1-10 (10 Levels per Tier) and then rungs 1-20 (5 Levels per rung, two rungs per tier). It's sort of confusing, but I believe it will work better than just having things go willy-nilly like they did in Metal Coat. Usually powerful/important Trainers will have Pokémon who are somewhere from 1 rung to a tier higher than the protagonists', and regular Trainers will be in the same tier.

TIER 10
    Rung 19 | Rung 20

TIER 9
    Rung 17 | Rung 18

TIER 8
    Rung 16 | Rung 17

TIER 7
    Rung 14 | Rung 15

...and so on and so forth until we reach TIER 1, Rung 1 and Rung 2.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Ninjaaaaaa! *Manly glomps* How you been?

And come on people, it's Halloween! You guys can't be this dead on such a great holiday, can you? /bad pun

Did you steal anything from something OTHER than Pokemon?

The E.C. has a lot of elements from Terry Brooks' Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy, while Mastermind was inspired by Ghost in the Shell, Gattaca, Battlestar Galactica, and the Ender series.

Bay

Years
  • How do you measure your character's Pokémon(s) strength? Using the game mechanics' levels, or other custom standards, such as experience?
    Like LeSabre, by their evolution stage and the moves they have learned. Sometimes I used levels too.

Bad pun indeed, txty.

OMG. I am out. of my. MIND!!!! Is anyone else here crazy enough to do NaNoWriMo? @_@
    I'm not that crazy to do it. :P Well, I would if I'm not so busy in November. >.>

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • What, really? Didn't you wrote over 9,000 words for that 7k game in three/four days? :P

*cheers you on*
    XD

I forgot about Torn. I'll need to do better than that, though. I need 1,667 words a day, minimum, which gives *calculates* 11669 a week, though I'm aiming for a round 14,000.

Thanks for the support, though.

I need Citrinin and the whip back . . . =( Where tf is that guy, anyway?

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
  • OMG. I am out. of my. MIND!!!! Is anyone else here crazy enough to do NaNoWriMo? @_@

*stops lurking in the shadows long enough to raise hand*

I really shouldn't be starting a whole new fic given how many half-finished ones I have lying around, but I do have one in mind and I wanna get the certificate legitimately at least once instead of bluffing it by upping other stories' word counts. X3 Luckily November is about the beginning of summer here in Aussie-land, so I have a little more time to spare overall than my northern brethren. =P

That said, here's something which might give you a hand in getting that word count up, if that whip and chair doesn't work. I like the kamikaze mode myself ... intimidating, but it works (well, of course it works; stop writing for too long and all your work unwrites itself--who wouldn't be motivated with that in mind?).

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • OMG. I am out. of my. MIND!!!! Is anyone else here crazy enough to do NaNoWriMo? @_@

No. My doctor said it would be detrimental to my mental health, my parole officer said it might lead to some stress-induced parole violations, and I have no idea what the hell I would write about.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    OMG. I am out. of my. MIND!!!! Is anyone else here crazy enough to do NaNoWriMo? @_@

Nope. I'm mostly sane and won't be doing NaNoWriMo this year. Although I might do a belated one in summer, when I have a relatively forgiving schedule...

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • That said, here's something which might give you a hand in getting that word count up, if that whip and chair doesn't work. I like the kamikaze mode myself ... intimidating, but it works (well, of course it works; stop writing for too long and all your work unwrites itself--who wouldn't be motivated with that in mind?).

Good lord. I just spent an hour on kamikaze mode with the difficulty set to "evil." That's the most I've written consecutively in months.

I think I love you. In a platonic, totally non-creepy sort of way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back