• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The PCNation

Years
  • Of course it would work, the more divided the power is, the less chances of corruption to exist. Why don't you tell me how a representative democracy would work and why would a direct democracy, not work?

The country you live in is probably a representative democracy. You elect officials who have the special task of deliberating and voting on laws. Anyways, gimmiepie was probably wondering how many advisors you'd need to have in order that everybody can have access to them and how that seems like it would be excessive.

Years
  • Yes, and that is the exact reason why i don't want a representative democracy, because this is nothing like the country i live in. This is a small nation, we're just rising up, i don't want this nation foundations to be corrupted, i want this nation to rise up with dignity, with transparency, and ... I don't wanna hand this much power to one person, at least not now, a direct democracy is a perfect way to start.

Do you have any arguments in support of direct democracy or against representative democracy other than handing that much power to one person? Concentrating power isn't a bad thing in and of itself. Many government concentrate powers on different levels. I recommend reading Book One Discourses on Livy by Niccolo Machiavelli for an explanation of so-called "mixed government".

Years
  • All right, a representative democracy of the capitalist variety it is. Let's assume then, that we have been elected to represent the various states within our little PCNation.

Now we need to get to work on a constitution. The way we'll do this is basically through discussion. We'll discuss what we think needs to go into our constitution and throw draft points out there, as certain points become more highly discussed we'll vote on them. I'll jazz this up later, but this is the general gist.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    My issue with a direct democracy is that it becomes kind of unwieldy after you reach a certain size, and I'd assume that PCNation will be larger than that certain size (though Gimme how big of a population are we gonna have here?). Getting a large amount of people to vote on every single thing is kind of a pain in the ass really. It's also not really immune/resistant to corruption either (certain persons/factions can attempt to influence people's voting choices through propaganda and other less than honest methods, not unlike in the US or other representative democracies), and there's the saying of "too many cooks spoil the broth".

Since government is a human construct, all forms of government are bound to be flawed and can be prone to corruption. You gotta look at the whole thing and not just one or two negative/positive aspects and be like "this is good/bad because of this one thing and we should/shouldn't do it.

edit: welp **** most of this post is useless/I was too slow on typing it, we're going with a capitalist representative democracy now lol

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Capitalist Representative democracy eh? As long as we don't become a mini America I'll fly with it.

We should probably start by listing everyones equal rights. Simple ones first, like religion, petition, etc. I hope "access to free internet" becomes one later on :3

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Capitalist Representative democracy eh? As long as we don't become a mini America I'll fly with it.

We should probably start by listing everyones equal rights. Simple ones first, like religion, petition, etc. I hope "access to free internet" becomes one later on :3

I agree- lets hope this does not become a mini America. Lets actually have a small government that is not involved in our personal lives whatsoever, gives us every right (as long as it does not hurt others- for example, drugs should be legal, but not murder). And a government that does not constrict the free market (except for some minor regulations).

Basically, I wont a government that leaves us the **** alone and leaves other countries/people the **** alone. Im not an isolationist, just a non-interventionalist. I dont want my taxes going towards blowing up innocent people, just my taxes going towards defense.

I have a topic proposal: illegal immigration/legal immigration/admitting refugees

I am very mixed on the issue, so Ill stay neutral for the most part.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Basically, I wont a government that leaves us the **** alone and leaves other countries/people the **** alone. Im not an isolationist, just a non-interventionalist. I dont want my taxes going towards blowing up innocent people, just my taxes going towards defense.

I have a topic proposal: illegal immigration/legal immigration/admitting refugees

I am very mixed on the issue, so Ill stay neutral for the most part.

To be fair, it's kinda hard to not blow people up with over 30 countries *****ing at you to do it because they got attacked by a bunch of extremist ****wits without having the group mad at you. Aka NATO. Hopefully we don't have a NATO-like alliance since it kind of forces you to fight wars with all countries involved.

Anyways, I think our constitution should include booting out all illegal immigrates. They didn't get in our country by legal means, so they should have a spot in our country.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • To be fair, it's kinda hard to not blow people up with over 30 countries *****ing at you to do it because they got attacked by a bunch of extremist ****wits without having the group mad at you. Aka NATO. Hopefully we don't have a NATO-like alliance since it kind of forces you to fight wars with all countries involved.

Anyways, I think our constitution should include booting out all illegal immigrates. They didn't get in our country by legal means, so they should have a spot in our country.

We shouldn't be involved anyways. War will just create more debt and kill our own men and women.

Convince me why we shouldnt have illegal immigrants! I am neutral, so I'm not challenging you or anything.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    We shouldn't be involved anyways. War will just create more debt and kill our own men and women.

Convince me why we shouldnt have illegal immigrants! I am neutral, so I'm not challenging you or anything.

And war is the reason why we got out of the Great Depression. Whether we like it or not, we are forced into it because of NATO.

And again, they have gone into the country illegally, making them criminals. We should be giving jobs to those who are either legal immigrants, have work visas or are legal citizens, since illegals don't pay taxes and legals and citizens can pay taxes.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • And war is the reason why we got out of the Great Depression. Whether we like it or not, we are forced into it because of NATO.

And again, they have gone into the country illegally, making them criminals. We should be giving jobs to those who are either legal immigrants, have work visas or are legal citizens, since illegals don't pay taxes and legals and citizens can pay taxes.

True true. However, has the Iraq war, Vietnam war, etc helped our economy? (Other than getting oil in the Middle East, which I disagree with)

And there are the 3 million tents and stuff in Saudi Arabia. These people need help, but they almost have it right next door. I feel horrible saying this considering their circumstances, but they do drive down property worth, which causes the legal citizens to lose money. And if these refugees were admitted, I do not think they should receive welfare or other benefits.

But at the same time, they do need help, which is why I am mixed. So far everything leans towards not admitting illegals, but I dont think we should work on deporting the current ones in the country because that would just cause a drain on tax payers.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Shouldn't we be working on creating the basic structure of our government (branches, check+balances, leadership positions, election processes, etc) and determining the basic rights of PCNation's citizens (like the Bill of Rights or something I guess?)--writing some sort of constitution--before getting into stuff like immigration policy and military affairs?

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • Shouldn't we be working on creating the basic structure of our government (branches, check+balances, leadership positions, election processes, etc) and determining the basic rights of PCNation's citizens (like the Bill of Rights or something I guess?)--writing some sort of constitution--before getting into stuff like immigration policy and military affairs?

Yes, yes we should.

Personally I think that the first thing we should do is make the government's role clear. We should state the way our decisions will be made, ascertain the different branches of the government (executive, judicial etc) and create a separation of church and state. Then we should nail out the rights of our citizens and the role of the citizen in regards to governance.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Shouldn't we be working on creating the basic structure of our government (branches, check+balances, leadership positions, election processes, etc) and determining the basic rights of PCNation's citizens (like the Bill of Rights or something I guess?)--writing some sort of constitution--before getting into stuff like immigration policy and military affairs?

If you really wanted to be technical, the US constitution also dealt with military regulations and military affairs could be relevant to the constitution for that part dealing with our military. I want our country to have a strong military, for example, so it would make sense to make sure our constitution doesn't have any regulations on potential military affairs (such as Japan being limited to only a military for defending their country, ETC).

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Yes, yes we should.

Personally I think that the first thing we should do is make the government's role clear. We should state the way our decisions will be made, ascertain the different branches of the government (executive, judicial etc) and create a separation of church and state. Then we should nail out the rights of our citizens and the role of the citizen in regards to governance.

I agree. How exactly are we going to do the government role, voting system, bill of rights, etc? Like we did last time, where we discuss and vote?

Role of government: create laws, run court system, military defense, and give rights of liberty, property, and life. They also can deal with foreign affairs, but leave pretty much everything else to the people (there might be a few other things Im forgetting). And there should be a separation of church and state of course.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Yes, we can deal with ilegal inmigration and stuff like that later. Specifically, i would like to know the power a government agency will have, like intelligence agencies or the police. Personally, i don't want to deal with an agency that keeps secrets from the government.

I agree. I also want us to put in place protections against anything like the NSA.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • What about term limits? That's something that would definitely belong in the constitution, were the PC Nation to have one.

Also something to consider is how the laws set in place by the constitution will be enforced. A constitution is essentially the set of laws that the government itself is beholden to, so if a government official, agency, or what have you steps outside of the bounds set by the constitution, there should be some repreccusions (impeachment, imprisonment, or something to that effect), and those should be defined in the constitution as well.

Years
  • More importantly than clear laws, I feel that government should be guided by strong principles. Sometimes it is not always clear what the "right" thing to do is, and sometimes we make decisions by strictly obeying laws that we find difficult to support. If there are certain axioms or principles that we deem to be never wrong or always helpful or necessary, then they should guide the government from the fundamentals to the details..

Back