• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen So, will there DEFINITELY be no Pokemon Z?

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Hey everyone,

So, I was wondering, since Pokemon Sun and Moon have been announced, there will DEFINITELY be no Pokemon Z?
    I would like to know, since I have been waiting on playing X or Y for a while now, so what do you guys think? Thank you all for your advice and insight, it is much appreciated!!!!! :)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I'm going on the blind hope that they pull out more GSC style dual-region shenanigans to round out Zygarde's story arc if nothing else.

But yeah, Z is off the table

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I dunno. I'm personally hoping that Sun & Moon takes place simultaneously with X & Y so that if we visit Kalos post-game it would double as our "Pokémon Z." But if that doesn't come to fruition, I actually wouldn't say it's completely impossible. Is it unlikely? Yeah, absolutely. But impossible? No. People are very quick to point out that Game Freak is "breaking new grounds" with how they release their games now (gen 5 having no third version, and now gen 6, too); but what they don't want to admit is that this also applies in this case, too. They could very well revisit Kalos in gen 7, either in Sun & Moon or out, because including a game's third version in the following gen is just as new of an idea as skipping it entirely. But again, I'm personally hoping for a "Pokémon Z" post-game to Sun & Moon for now.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Hey everyone,

So, I was wondering, since Pokemon Sun and Moon have been announced, there will DEFINITELY be no Pokemon Z?
    I would like to know, since I have been waiting on playing X or Y for a while now, so what do you guys think? Thank you all for your advice and insight, it is much appreciated!!!!! :)

No, Z could become a generation 7 game... I would just get X or Y for now, and if you need to, you can always trade it in.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's not 100% confirmed, but it's extremely likely that Z is not happening.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • The only way I could see it at this point is if it came out alongside Sun & Moon. Not sure if it's likely, but you never know, a third version wouldn't take much time to develop since it's basically just a carbon copy of the other two with a few upgrades and patches.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I am romantically hopeful that Z does still happen in one form or another. The GSC treatment sounds like the most plausible avenue for this to happen I think, but can the current cartridge hardware support that amount of data? We know GSC was quite crammed in containing two whole regions (and Kanto was clearly put on a diet to fit in). Even though we are nearly 20 years on technologically, GameFreak may face the same problem in trying to accommodate Kalos alongside a new region in one game, if that is their plan anyway.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I agree that it's still likely for them to release an XY third-version. Though, I'm not sure if it'd be the brightest idea for them to do this while releasing Sun and Moon, as it could take attention away from fans.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    I wouldn't mind the story of Sun and Moon being the story we would expect a Pokemon Z to have. ORAS did a number of things a 3rd version for a generation would normally do (Move tutors, made more Pokémon available), which made there less of a reason to make a Pokemon Z.

jasonthedrag0n

Disco Elephant
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    It's a shame that there will be no Z but I hope that means that S and M will be a whole new jump in graphics, gameplay and storyline, without ruining anything.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • It's possible they've decided to move away from the whole third version scheme, as we haven't had one in two generations. Not only is Z lacking, but so is Delta Emerald or whatever it'd be called. I think this trend could continue and we could be done with third versions of games.

Years
  • I think Rainbow is onto something, I do agree with him on the theory that third versions are a thing of the past. Part of this also makes me agree with this theory on the "removal" of third versions by YouTuber Patterrz:

_Dud_

I can't C#
    Years
  • Though I think Z is out of the question, Game Freak deciding to revisit Kalos is highly probable. I doubt they would release a 3rd edition such as Z since over the years statistics have proven that 3rd edition games (crystal, emerald, platinum) are highly unpopular compared to the other games in the main-series games. So, if Game Freak were to come back to Kalos, I doubt it would be just "Z" being released, instead probably two new games.

Back