• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What genre is your comfort zone?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • Surprisingly even though I am a total metalhead and have like 20 full albums downloaded (I never download full albums) of metal, I feel most at home with Rap, Dubstep, Jazz, or Classical. I'm a disgrace, I know.

Sir Codin

Surprisingly even though I am a total metalhead and have like 20 full albums downloaded (I never download full albums) of metal, I feel most at home with Rap, Dubstep, Jazz, or Classical. I'm a disgrace, I know.
    I don't think there's any rule in Metaldom about not being allowed to like other kinds of music. In fact, some subgenres of metal have influences from other types of music. Traditional heavy metal has origins in hard rock, psychedelic rock, and blues-rock, thrash metal was influenced by hardcore punk, folk metal obviously uses world music, symphonic metal uses classical, and progressive metal often has influences of progressive rock and jazz fusion.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I don't think there's any rule in Metaldom about not being allowed to like other kinds of music.

Not any written rule, but god forbid you try talking about any other genre of music with most metal fans. I've never talked classical, but talk about anything pop related and you get your face ripped off and become the next album cover for someone's band. Metal has roots in many genres but all of the metal fans I know or have talked to for the most part only listen to the hardest of the rock and then metal.

Sir Codin

Not any written rule, but god forbid you try talking about any other genre of music with most metal fans. I've never talked classical, but talk about anything pop related and you get your face ripped off and become the next album cover for someone's band.
    It mainly has to do with exactly what kind of genre it is, usually. Metal is one of the hardest genres of music to learn and play and anything that's almost, just as, or more difficult to play is usually respected my metalheads as far as my experience goes, such as classical, progressive, and jazz. Rap is usually a mixed bag. Pop music, though, definitely hated by most.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I find myself at home with Metal, Hard Rock, Soundtrack, or Jazz. There's just an emotion with these genres that you really get. The problem I have with genres like rap and pop is that it seems so cheap and the songs are a dime a dozen. There are a few songs in that genre I like and listen to, but for the most part, I stay away.

I enjoy the skill that comes with having to play my favorite genres as well. You pretty much have to master your instrument to go to a professional level. I played trumpet for seven years, and I never really got past fourth part in jazz. I could play lead, and did for a good number of songs, but my range wasn't that high, and I was already used to background parts, so i didn't play loud enough either. That's okay though, I played the lower parts very well and gave room for the lead to shine.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • Hip-hop and emo are the ones I generally get hooked easily to, they're very accessible sound-wise and yeah, they just sound wholly pleasant personally. I listen to both genres the most these days. Electronic music (bass, house, jungle, footwork, etc.) and jazz are a notch down; they're easy to pick up but you actually have to make an effort to pay attention all the way through an album because they can come across as very dense and wall-of-sound-ish. I think they're very gratifying genres though, with a lot of appreciable layers and permutations (I ALWAYS find something new whenever I give albums like Grant Green's Idle Moments, Sun Ra's Sleeping Beauty or Shackleton's Fabric 55 another listen-through).

I consider all four (emo, hip-hop, jazz and electronica) to be my "home-genres", but I can enjoy other genres as well, with the exception being metal, a genre I've tried getting into multiple times but never having actually "gotten" it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    oof I dont really what they count as these days. I guess it is all classic rock(led zeppelin, focus, golden earring , pink floyd, david bowie,queen,
    oldies and
    (new wave post punk, glam, prog rock, ska, blues)(incl ultravox, omd, alphaville, blondie, joe jackson, pet shop boys, beegees, inxs, madness, bad manners, The jam, paul weller/ style council new Order, splitenz, squeeze , elton john, the stranglers, gary moore, steve vai etc ) and 90s brit pop :Manic street preachers lightning seeds, pulp, suede, oasis.. kwela. jonny clegg mango groove.I prefer british music to most American, although there are a few indie/alternative bands i like B52s, REM the killers, Moby (and not to forget the doors)post 2000s the new britpop revival, like franz ferdinand, kaiser chiefs, maximo park, the long blondes, art brut,kasabian, belle and sebastian, divine comedy, the thrills

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Since my music tastes have changed drastically... I'm going to say power metal/heavy metal/progressive metal/alt metal. I really love this stuff, and it didn't occur to me until just recently that I prefer this kind of music. I find it really comforting, and I'm absolutely addict to J-rock because of the bands for the genre are amazing as well.

Years
  • I'm best with metal, mostly power metal/symphonic metal or anything like those. It used to be hard/alternative rock that was my favorite, but I swear once I discovered metal I took a liking to it extremely quickly ah ha. Give me a nice metal song with some good lyrics and I might be swooning over it.

Come to think of it, my tastes in music have gotten progressively harder over the years. Used to be I was listening mostly to softer rock and 80's pop, and now...yeah. Metal! Although of all the genres I've listened to, I think aggrotech is as far as I'll go; I don't know if I can go any further in musical tastes (and even with that one, it's only a few select things I like, not a whole bunch of them). Too hard of music and it's just grating on my ears and mind.

Back