• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pick one of these three.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • I love Totodile, but none of its evolutions. Of the final stages, I actually love Typhlosion. If I had known what they all evolve into, I would have chosen Cyndaquil on my initial run.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I always thought the Cyndaquil line was the coolest out of the other two lines. I really like the final evolution. All in all its a really dependable line to use at least in my point of view.

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • Unfortunately, the Johto starters are some of my least favorite to use, but I found myself picking Cyndaquil most often out of the three. It's a lot easier to get a hold of other Grass and Water type Pokemon early in the game (Hoppip, Bellsprout and Wooper are all available near Violet City), whereas I believe the first Fire type Pokemon you can get is evolving the Eevee from Goldenrod into a Flareon.

You can get Growlithe/Vulpix on Route 36, which is before you can catch Hoppip, Bellsprout and Wooper.

Years
  • The Totodile line. I liked Cyndaquil first, but I switched to Totodile and I don't know why.
    You can see Feraligatr's butt in Gen 3 when you're using it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think they're all great, but one of my favorite Pokemon is Quilava...so let that answer your question. :P

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    None of the above. I absolutely despise Gen 2's starters. I have never liked them, and their dull types (meaning they're not dual-typed). Every time I play, I switch them out for another Pokemon. In my most recent playthrough of Crystal, I got rid of Totodile for a Gyarados (no, not the red Gyarados) that I got quite early in the game as a Magikarp. They are weak and are definitely, in my opinion, the worst starters. If I recall correctly, I saw some older versions of them, Honōguma (fire), Kurusu (water), and Happa (grass). Honōguma looked extremely badass and super cool, I like it much better than Cyndaquil. Kurusu looked pretty cool as well, but I'm still eh on that one. Happa is basically Chikorita, but with a smaller leaf.
    Here they are if anyone wants to see them:
    Spoiler:

But if I absolutely had to choose between them, I would go with Chikorita. It looks the cutest one of them all <3

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I absolutely love the Totodile line...just the fact that you could get decked out with both Surf, Ice Punch and Bite relatively early in the game means you're pretty much set for life.

Years
  • Well, Totodile was my first Pokémon ever and I've never chosen another one in G/S/C, because of it's similarity to crocodiles/alligators which belong to my favorite animals.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    Totodile is my favorite Water Pokémon, so naturally I'd choose its line.

When I played the games way back when, I usually chose Cyndaquil, though I chose Chikorita a couple of times and Totodile a couple of times. Then, on the playthrough where I finally completed my Pokédex, I chose Totodile, and he (rather, Feraligatr) was a mainstay in my party until the internal battery died. (R.I.P. ;-;)

Starfury

Clover's Alt
    Years
  • Hard to say; I just love them all! My favourite out of the three would have to be Chikorita though, with Typhlosion coming second. It's design is just adorable but I personally prefer having a fire-type starter, which is why Typhlosion comes close. <3

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • I have always loved Totodile. Long time ago when I wasn't into Pokémon, my friend had SoulSilver and his starter was also Totodile. When I started playing Silver myself on an emulator, which was my first own Pokémon game, I picked Totodile without doubt. That one has become my first level 100 too.
    Yeah, Croconaw sucks. But who cares if it's other forms are awesome?

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I've always been very partial to the grass starters no matter how much flack they seem to get. I always loved Bulbasaur, it was my first choice and still is to this day whenever I revisit Kanto so naturally I went with Chikorita as well. Although it struggles a lot with the start of the game it also learns Razor Leaf like right away, that might not seem worth it to most of you but I like that fact.

On another note I like the evolution levels of the Johto starters. I feel like they were distributed pretty evenly or uniquely.

Avadon14

Little Pocket Monster
    Years
  • Cyndaquil All the way! She Is my favourite of all non-legendary Pokemon (possibly even compared to the legendaries)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • The Totodile line. WATER ELF LITTLE CROCODILE WILL DO!
    ...but honestly, I think Croconaw with its caveman colour/pattern scheme looks really cool and innovative, and Feraligatr's menacing and ready to fight. Totodile's a cutie, too.

Last edited:

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Whoooo Cyndaquil!! <3 :3

I like all of the Gen.2 starters, but most of the time I picked Cyndaquil. And if I couldn't make up my mind which one I should choose, I just performed the famous "cloning glitch" and picked all three starters :3

Back