• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yu-Gi-Oh.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Yu Gi Oh started out as a manga. The first series had nothing to do with the cards. The series was created from the mangaka's desire to create a main character who doesn't hit people. After the first series, the second manga came out with focus on a card game called Duel Monsters. This spawned an anime series (and if you include season 0, I guess this was part of it), and of course, real life counterpart cards. 4kids has a dub in production for almost all the Yu Gi Oh anime. After the original, more Yu Gi Oh series have of course spawned. These include Yu Gi Oh GX, 5Ds, Zexal, and the recent Arc V, which is ongoing. There's also the Capsule Monster spinoff, and plenty of video games.

Now...
    Favorite series?
    Favorite character?
    Do you collect the cards?
    What do you like about Yu Gi Oh and why?
    What are your thoughts on Arc V?
    Discuss the most recent episode and your thoughts.
    (Spoiler tag, please.)

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Ooh, a YGO thread! <3

Favorite series?
    My favorite series would be none other than Zexal! I absolutely hated it at first, mainly because the first two episodes seemed pretty awful, and the art style during those two episodes was a lot worse than the art in the later episodes. (Click these two links. 1. 2. Seriously.) However, after 9 episodes of "what is this," the 10th episode completely turned the show around, and that's when I started liking it.

So why is Zexal my favorite? I like how there was a wide range of compelling characters, especially Shark/Ryoga, Astral, Tron, Droite, Gauche, III, the Barian Emperors, and even Yuma himself. It was great how Yuma slowly progressed from "the most despicable protagonist ever" to a very well-written character who I now respect. And Yuma's not the only one who gets character development - Shark and Astral among other characters get really good development as well! I would love to discuss them, but then that would include major spoilers, haha (plus I'm lazy). In addition to character development, the writers are also good at exploring characters and completely breaking them, as well as exploring the bonds between characters (and also breaking those *sob*). It seemed like there was more psychology involved with the Zexal characters than the other YGO series, which was quite a nice twist (*cough* looking at you, Vector *cough*). And although the execution of the plot wasn't always the best, I feel like Zexal has the second most meaningful (and touching) plot in the franchise, after 5D's.

And yes, even though Zexal is my "favorite", I actually think that 5D's is the "best" YGO series so far, in terms of overall having the most well-written plot, as well as decent duel choreography. (Zexal's duel choreography sadly becomes pretty bad whenever the plot picks up, eheheh.) I could go on for hours writing about why I love 5D's so much (which used to be my favorite before Zexal), but I don't think I have time right now, so maybe I'll save that for later. :D

Favorite character?
    That would probably be a tie between Shark from Zexal, Yusei from 5D's, and Sho/Syrus from GX! I liked seeing how the three of them grew up as characters, while overcoming their own personal struggles. The way they wrapped up Yusei's loose ends at the end of 5D's was amazing, while Shark and Sho had amazing progression throughout their respective series. Also, it's incredibly fun using Shark and Yusei's decks in real life. I've got at least 5 different variants of each! ;D

YES. I play the card game pretty competitively, and I've built tons of decks ranging from casual archetypes to more meta-ish ones. If anyone ever wants to duel me on YGOPRO, I'm totally up for it! ^.^

What do you like about Yu-Gi-Oh and why?
    I always thought the plots of the series were quite unique, and I personally think the combat style (the game itself) is super fun! I love the back and forth action with stuff like "COUNTER TRAP, ACTIVATE!" to "I don't think so!" to "I completely expected that!" and even "I expected you to expect that!" xD I dunno, I guess watching people play card games with action-packed visuals and high stakes is more addicting than it sounds. :P

What are your thoughts on ARC-V?
    I think it has tons of potential - definitely the most potential out of any YGO series - but it sadly isn't living up to its full potential quite yet. It's still a good series though, and I think it might possibly surpass 5D's by the end! As for my thoughts on Yuya... he originally started off as my second favorite protagonist (thanks to his design and color scheme alone), but he slowly sunk down to my least favorite. I don't know... I tried liking him and I WANT to like him, but he's currently too shallow as a character for my tastes. Maybe I'll like him more by the end of the series, similar to Yuma. We'll see.

On a positive note, however, ARC-V has taken a LOT of steps in the right direction, and I really appreciate that. Like, there are more relevant female duelists and more believable duel choreography, though the latter is kinda butchered by Action Card abuse at times. My favorite thing about ARC-V is definitely the dimension plotline, which I'm absolutely loving! I seriously can't wait to see how everything plays out. As for my favorite character in ARC-V, that would be Shun, who is literally Shark 2.0 in almost every imaginable way. xD

Spoiler:

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I'm not following the basic formula but I will comment on most of the items below.
    My fav series is the original Yugioh!, why? Well, I was stupidly obsessed with it, so I basically hit a point of no return during my childhood.
    My fav character is Kaiba, like b*tch please, he's the perfect douchebag. Love him so much <3

I did enjoy GX, but the plot is absurd. I haven't tried Yugioh on wheels 5D. I hated Zexal so no going that way. I tried V-Arc but I didn't particularly like the beginning, so until I have a strong reason to watch it I will just wait.

I love the back and forth action with stuff like "COUNTER TRAP, ACTIVATE!" to "I don't think so!" to "I completely expected that!" and even "I expected you to expect that!" xD I dunno

This is basically the reason why I prefer Yugioh among the many many TCG that exist in the present. I have tried several games and I just found that what fits my taste is Yugioh. I also like to point out that the rules have always been changed for the better.

Years
  • Favorite series?
    Probably Arc-V, it's the only one that I've been really interested in for a long time.
    Favorite character?
    I'm still fond of Joey/Jonouchi from the first series.
    Nope.
    It's pretty fun, I don't play often but I did mess around with some friends on that Dueling Network thing last year, it got me up to speed with all the new stuff since I didn't really follow the shows.
    Actually has a good story, which surprised me. The hype moments are really good too. Action Cards are still a terrible idea but I've accepted them as a convenient way for the writers to keep the duel going a little longer.
    Spoiler:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I liked the first series better because GX felt too extravagant to me. The characters in the OS seemed more "realistically" designed.

My favorite cards are the cards you can build whole decks around rather than the expendable 4-star pawns, we naturally relate more to the monsters because we're living beings but I've always wondered whether someone actually had either a spell or trap card as favorite. In Yu-Gi-Oh! there's a strong "personality" element when you pick your favorite card, my favorite is the Dark Paladin because the bond between the Dark Magician and the Buster Blader is the bond between mind and body, as DM is a spellcaster and BB a warrior. Everyone of the main characters in the OS whose favorite card is stated has a reason for choosing that card, which may not be obvious.

Tristan: The Cyber Commando isn't a powerful card but it looks nice, Tristan doesn't have dueling skills but he's a nice guy, not mystical (Cyber Commando isn't a mage or whatever, more machine-like).

Joey: Originally had the Flame Swordsman but later favors the Red Eyes Black Dragon. This is a monster that starts low for its level but improves by the duelist's effort, like Joey's dueling skills are. The large amount of support Red Eyes gets could be related to how Joey always counts on his friends.

Téa: The Magician of Faith is a weak battling card but has a powerful supportive effect, which is how Téa is. Also, the fact her effect can be activated even when destroyed may mean how Téa is ready to sacrifice herself for her friends.

Yugi: He has an innate talent for gaming and puzzle-solving. This is linked to how the Dark Magician is a very gifted conjurer of spells. DM also has a strong sense of justice and relation to the Pharaoh who is Yugi's alt in the OS.

Kaiba: Besides the historical reason (Blue Eyes being Kisara's spirit), the Blue Eyes White Dragon is a mirror of Kaiba's personality, a monster which despite intimidating is shrouded in shining light that exudes from his hidden goodness.

Bakura: This is a simple one related to how he and the Thief King coexist in his body despite being polar opposites.

Now, why do I like the series? The mythological aspect, the memorable and dark characters, and the speed of the TCG compared to rival franchises.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Favorite series?
    Probably GX. Mostly because it was my first one so it still remains in my heart =D

Favorite character?
    Definitely Yami Yugi. That guy is epitome of YGO for me =D

Only occasionally, I have some decks and some cards (bought Destiny Board for my own enjoyment :D)

The complexity of the system and cute girls xD

Pendulums are broken AS HELL

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh!, here are my answers to the questions.
    Favorite Series: Tie between the Original and GX

Favorite Character: When it comes to my favorite character, two of my favorites are Seto Kaiba and Alexis Rhodes.

Do you collect the cards: I collected the cards until February of 2014 when I finally acquired a card that took me years to get, Dark Magician Girl.

What I like about Yu-Gi-Oh! and why: What I liked about it is that started out about the King of Games, and then the card game became one of the main focuses.

What are you thoughts about Arc-V: I don't know since I have not watched it. I have only watched as far as 5Ds.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Favorite series?
    Zexal. And I could go on for a while and say why, but I talked about it a while back and, really, that's still pretty on-point, if a bit understated.

Spoiler:

Favorite character?
    Oh...oh boy. This one's actually pretty tough, but...

...Huh. I dunno. I recently started watching GX in Japanese and, I've gotta say, Manjome Thunder (aka Chazz Princeton) is really growing on me. He's a genuinely colorful character that has his pride and is something of a Kaiba character, but he has a much larger range of emotions and is far less abrasive. I don't really remember if the dub did him justice or, maybe, it's because I'm older that I'm just willing to really analyze his character more, but he's probably my favorite Kaiba expy to come out of Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm also a big fan of the pun in his title that didn't really translate- for good reason (He would often be called Manjome by Judai and, as a reaction, yell "Manjome San da!" Thus, when he went to North Academy, he created the title for himself "Manjome Thunder", which is phonetically the same in Japanese). Plus his relationship with the other members of the Duel Academy is just kind of infectious. I'm a big fan of the guy.

Speaking of expyies, there's the Joey/Kaiba (moreso Joey) expy in the way of Shark from Zexal, and he was enjoyable as well. Sure, his hair was ridiculous, but Yu-Gi-Oh was going through a phase at the time and he was one of the more subdued cases. His various storylines throughout the anime only got more compelling as they went along, and...well, that's all I really can say. A lot would be spoilers, but it's really in those spoilers that I found some a lot to like about his character.

Vector certainly isn't my favorite character, but this guy...I didn't think that Yu-Gi-Oh! was capable of creating a villain so ballsy and deliciously evil. Jesus. He definitely sticks out to me because...God. If you liked Melvi- I mean, Dark Marik, you'll love Vector.

Yuma, certainly, would be up there. I dunno if I just like hot-blooded protagonists (which, if I do, would be very uncharacteristic of me) or something, but this was a protagonist that I could very easily get behind. I already explained why in the spoiler, but I really feel as if this comes from the decisions he makes and what he goes through. To say that Yuma is suffering would be something of an understatement. I mean, really, I don't think it would be any sort of stretch to say that Yuma's a tale of growth and loss. Because I don't really think that there's been a protagonist to come out of Yu-Gi-Oh! that's really had to duel with so much at stake as Yuma. Oftentimes it's not even that his friends are being hostage and he has to win duels to save them- in fact, in a good number of cases the duels themselves are bitter sweet because even victory on his end would bring about as much despair as it would happiness, and that's a very compelling way to tell a story that is almost assuredly confined to a formula.

When I lived at my dorm I did, and when I was younger I did. I still pick up a booster every now and again. Mainly in search of Gagaga Sister because it's kind of hard to run a Gagaga deck without it.

So much. I love the card designs, I love the game, I'm surprisingly a fan of a good deal of the characters, I think the concepts are pretty brave considering the target audience, and the stories of the shows know how to compelling to broad audiences at certain points in their respective series.

I'm pretty hopeful. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but the praise for the show does give me hope. Interested to see how they'll handle Action Dueling, too, the potential for that is definitely great.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Favorite series?
    I would have to say my favorite would be 5D's. Other than the original 5D's is the only one I've watched entirely.
    Favorite character?
    Syrus, Leo, Jack
    Collect and play the game. I'm the Machine type person in my group. :D
    It's different and it feels just a bit more adult like than say Pokemon.
    I'd rather go beat my head against the wall after seeing the first episode. No joke.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Favorite series?
    That would have to be 5DS mostly due to the motorcycles and the synchro summons. I fondly remember growing up with the original series though.
    Favorite character?
    I don't have enough experience with the franchise to say but maybe Kaiba or Yusei?
    No. I have always wanted to have a duel though. A few weeks ago, someone brought their decks to school and I had my wish granted . It was kind of fun I suppose.
    I don't really know what I like about it. Nostalgia is definitely part of it. The unrealistic effect chains that build up and negate card after card are pretty fun.
    Haven't seen it. I may get around to it when I have time.
    Discuss the most recent episode and your thoughts. (Spoiler tag, please.)
    N/A

I don't know if I would truly call myself a Yu-Gi-Oh fan but I do like the series. I do keep up with it from time to time.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • An nobody mentioned this trailer because...
    Eh, I mean, what's there to say? Tea learned how to be cute, CG's happening, and antagonist has forehead eye syndrome/red herring.

Not particularly hyped for the movie, myself. I mean, it'll be cool to see the old gang again, but this is definitely Konami's gamble at profiting on a relatively popular franchise by appealing to the largest possible audience (ie older fans, fans of the original). And that's not really a bad thing, considering the spot they're in, but there really hasn't been much to hype up yet. Looks nice, though.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Eh, I mean, what's there to say? Tea learned how to be cute, CG's happening, and antagonist has forehead eye syndrome/red herring.

Not particularly hyped for the movie, myself. I mean, it'll be cool to see the old gang again, but this is definitely Konami's gamble at profiting on a relatively popular franchise by appealing to the largest possible audience (ie older fans, fans of the original). And that's not really a bad thing, considering the spot they're in, but there really hasn't been much to hype up yet. Looks nice, though.

I'm super hyped for the animation bump shown in the trailer. But ... it might only be those scenes as far as we are concerned :(

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Favorite series?
    Favorite character?
    Jack, Crow and many to list of
    Do you collect the cards? I usually collect cards, but not anymore
    What do you like about Yu Gi Oh and why? Just like the card game and some good animes
    What are your thoughts on Arc V? I never really like Arc V it's bit lack of flavor
    Discuss the most recent episode and your thoughts. NONE

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I haven't seen a single YGO anything nor played with the cards. I'm interested in the series though.

Mostly because Dark Magician Girl is ****ing hot. And I saw her on some Yu Gi Oh wallpapers as a kid.
    And I liked tits.
    And I was a horny kid.
    Yeah.

Okay, enough of me being creepy. I wanna get into the series but it apparently has sequels and is long(?) now. Not even sure if it aged properly or not. :(

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Okay, enough of me being creepy. I wanna get into the series but it apparently has sequels and is long(?) now. Not even sure if it aged properly or not. :(
    Well, first, the anime series are, or were, mostly standalone. You don't need to watch them in any particular order and, really, you're not going to get much more out of it if you do (well, you might, but considering it's gone through several different writers, all doing their own thing...well, yeah). Just pick whichever one you want.

And plus, it was made in the 90s, so it's aged about as well as just about anything else from the 90s/80s. Which is pretty good. So no worries there. That in mind, GX in particular has some particularly...sketchy animation at times. Not Dragon Ball Super bad, of course, but...it can be bad. I believe it's mostly early on, but I'm not far enough in my rewatch to say for sure.

Though if you're in it for the boobs specifically, GX is your best bet. The original, too, to some extent, though Zexal'd certainly be the middleground.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Most recent episode:

Spoiler:

Back