• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

dumbest rules at your schools

Spiff

love child
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    that's when you sneak the booze into your dorm room
    yea that's what we gotta do. it's just kinda square I gotta sneak booze into my own damn home yfeel

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • lucid totally reminded me that phones were the devil in high school. like my sister just graduated but last year i'd get snaps from her in class and shit and like??? when i was there they were so strict about phones that they would randomly check everyday it was insane. i would often forget i even had a phone back then honestly.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • It took me so long to get a mobile because I was taught at school that they were some sort of devilish creation from hell :(

Also, not allowing bottles of water. Like... it's not a refreshment or anything. It's just that little liquid we all need to survive. I felt always so dehydrated by recess.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Not sure if this rule takes the cake but...

back in my junior high days, you cannot wear "numbered" apparel, other than the numbers of your graduation years. The only numbers I could only wear at the time were 4, 8, 04, 08, 2004, and 2008. if you are caught with any number other than your graduation year, you will get written up for dress code. I got in big trouble when I wore a shirt that had a number 33, and my mom forced me to wear it because she didn't believe me that there was a rule about numbers. >_>

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • There was one rule that I remembered when I was in school that I just never understood, and that was that if you brought your own lunch with your own drink you had to remove the label off of it if it was in a bottle. I don't remember if there was ever a rule about drinks being in a can and you had to cover the cans up, but either way it was to "prevent advertisement". I don't understand it in the slightest, as this doesn't apply to bringing a bag of chips and being left in the original un-opened bags, it doesn't apply to clothing, it doesn't apply to the multiple bottles of Tabasco sauce that they would leave around in the open, it doesn't apply to bags of Lays they would sometimes give out, it doesn't apply to bottles of water, and it doesn't apply to anything in the vending machines. I don't even understand why it was even created. Was my school also a manufacturer of drinks and they didn't want to see "competitors" in just and only in the cafeteria? It's petty to complain about it, but it is just something that is very, very and utterly stupid.

Lucid

It took me so long to get a mobile because I was taught at school that they were some sort of devilish creation from hell :(

Also, not allowing bottles of water. Like... it's not a refreshment or anything. It's just that little liquid we all need to survive. I felt always so dehydrated by recess.

They reeeeally wanted you to use those crusty-ass water fountains.

Years
  • Sexist dress codes for girls so as to not distract the boys are probably the worst ones, honestly.
    Not sure if this rule takes the cake but...

back in my junior high days, you cannot wear "numbered" apparel, other than the numbers of your graduation years. The only numbers I could only wear at the time were 4, 8, 04, 08, 2004, and 2008. if you are caught with any number other than your graduation year, you will get written up for dress code.

That is so fucking stupid lmao

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    My old school forced everyone below my year to use overpriced school bags, as the head thought that the brands on them were distracting and didn't fit with the schools 'ethos' or some nonsense.

There was also a ban on 'mobile technology', to the point they installed technology to watch students in the toilets if they were on their phones. To be fair phones are a huge distraction so I do agree with this rule but seriously, installing cameras in the toilets for something so petty, christ.

Years
  • ...Reading some of these, I'm a bit glad that the silliest rule (imo) I ever remember from school was just about hair length. :X Not that it ever applied to me, but the whole "guys can't have hair longer than x length", meanwhile girls could wear their hair as long as they liked. I actually knew a girl with hair long enough that she always had to wear it in two long looped braids, as an extreme example. Not sure if that was ever enforced, but it was in the rules.

(And I get "trying to look respectable", but when the school also didn't have too much of a dress code apart from what seemed to be the normal "wear decent [as in non-vulgar] clothes/nothing too revealing/for the love of god pull up your pants we don't want to see your underwear" deal, it seemed silly to try to enforce something like hair length just for guys. /shrug )

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • We couldn't have drink bottles that were open before we walked in to the classroom because of that one time that one girl drank straight vodka out of an Aquafina bottle, and threw up all over the person in front of her lmao.

There's also another school that I didn't go to that separated the girls from the boys(as in opposite sides of the school, different classes, etc]) because they were having too much sex on campus.

Years
  • The only stupid rule we had in any of my high schools was no backpacks in class at my last one. Little ol 5'/152cm me had to carry my binder and books everywhere... was not fun. All the other rules were standard dress code things.

I find this a bit odd considering that my last school was on a US Air Base... you'd think they'd have way stricter rules.

Also, as an adult, I don't see why people make such a fuss about dress codes anymore? Once you start work, you're still going to be stuck with some kind of dress code. Chances are most jobs you'll have you still can't have anything too short/revealing anyway. Or even worse, uniforms! Muahahahahahaha!!

lucid totally reminded me that phones were the devil in high school. like my sister just graduated but last year i'd get snaps from her in class and shit and like??? when i was there they were so strict about phones that they would randomly check everyday it was insane. i would often forget i even had a phone back then honestly.

I wonder if smart phones have gotten so common that schools just gave up?

I graduated high school in 2007 and I don't remember phones being a huge thing at all. Then again I didn't even get a cell phone until I went to college so I might have just not paid attention. :B

Years
  • I remember when I got in... I think it was seventh or eighth grade women had to wear shorts that went below their knees. Before we COULD go a few inches past our thighs, but.... yeah, there were apparently issues with that.

Now, this rule wouldn't be so bad, except do you know how difficult it was to find shorts that went past one's knees. VERY. I had only one pair and had to wear jeans for most of the second half of my school career. Did I mention I live in Texas? Where it can get hot as hell at times? Yeah, not cool.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    Dumbest rule was in middle school. If you were caught with a cell phone, it was taken up, and kept in the front office until you payed $15 to get it back. If your phone was taken up on Friday, and you didn't have the money? Too bad, wait until Monday and pay up then.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • My school dress code basically banned whatever they consider distracting. It's worse for girls than boys. Here's some of them:

We couldn't show much skin, even during really hot days. Sleeveless clothes, crop tops, and short shorts / skirts and shirts that exposed cleavage were not allowed.

We couldn't wear hats, sunglasses, bandanas, chains, and things like that. Basically anything covering our hair.

We had to keep our hair out of our face. I usually kept mine tucked behind my ears or pinned but still a weird rule.

We couldn't wear clothes with any language considered even slightly offensive. <- This one I actually can understand.

I don't really think it's fair that girls are so limited, but I don't make a big deal out of it. At least we didn't have to wear uniforms in my old school. I really hated those.. ugh.. -.-

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • well i went to a private school so no regular clothes besides uniforms. also, you can't use cellphones. NOW ALL HIGH SCHOOLS USE CELL PHONES AND LAPTOPS. gah.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    My high school banned them after my 9th grade year because a few people were using them to sell drugs from. It was so stupid having to carry around everything or make trips to my locker between every class.

SO THAT'S WHY THEY IMPLEMENTED THAT STUPID RULE.

Same thing happened to me in 7th-8th grade. I still remember all those deep and kinda painful skin imprints from binders and books digging into me through those years. :I

Also: Tucking in shirts.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    The only strange thing I recall was that my French 11 teacher didn't allow lefties and righties to sit directly next to each other. The classroom was set up so that we were in rows of 2 touching desks, and she enforced that rule because she "didn't like elbows bumping".

Some of these dress codes you guys have are so bizarre though, we had no restrictions on what we could wear or what our hair had to look like.

Back