• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Satoru Iwata, President of Nintendo, has died

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
  • Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • This is truly disheartening, especially in a time where numerous game journalists are after Nintendo for their E3 digital event not being as good as last year's and "hardcore" Nintendo fans are out for blood after not getting the games they want. *coughFederationForcecough*

The question remains, who will be his successor?

Azarashi

The Seal Pokémon
    Years
  • A great loss for a lot of people, and all of us here really. Upsetting news, but he did lead a great life.

Again,

AdiBPrO.jpg

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I suppose one thing to take comfort in is that it doesn't seem like it was drawn out or a particularly prolonged illness, poor guy.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • This loss is terrible, not just as a member of the Nintendo fandom, but also as a programmer and human being.

Iwata-san was brilliant in his work. As CEO of NCLtd, a company based in Kyoto, he had to fight REALLY hard to push boundaries. For those of you who don't know, Kyoto is one of the most conservative cities in the world. Businesses there do not like to take risks. Which, considering the DS, the Wii, the WiiU, and the 3DS (especially the 3DS, since it was treading the failed ground of the Virtual Boy) makes Iwata's leadership exemplary. Among the many things he did: recoding Earthbound by hand, porting Pokemon Stadium's battle coding into the N64 without documentation, inventing compression tools that took Pokemon Gold and Silver from games that didn't have the room to even finish Johto, to having enough room to add Kanto as a bonus, being among those who proposed Level of Detail graphics to help the N64's sluggish graphics memory (now an industry standard). And that's on top of stuff like slashing his own salary when the company was faltering.

And as a person, I have NEVER heard anyone say anything negative about Iwata-san. He noted as being kind, gentle, funny, and very outgoing. I think we all tonight should all raise a glass to the man.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    All I have to say is rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. You will forever be missed and remembered. You were a wonderful person inside and out. The world has lost a great person, game designer/programmer, and leader. I have been feeling down ever since I heard (or seen) on Twitter about your passing. But I know you are in a better place.

Take care, my friend.

Years
  • I already mentioned the same things in the thread in VG, but I recall the moment when Iwata presented the Nintendo Direct that announced X & Y which was a stunning moment at the time, and he always had great personality which made his Direct announcements memorable among many Nintendo gamers.

He'll be missed, but the interesting part is to see who will get named as the new President.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • He always seemed ill for some time now, but nothing worse than hearing a great and innovative man has passed. RIP.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It's hard to believe that he died. I thought it had been all taken care of :( ...the man did a good job at hiding his illness it seems. Did Nintendo really lie about the reason he wasn't at E3? Or could this be a horrible sudden turn of events?

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    This was very sad to hear. Iwata has been such a stapple to Nintendo and he accomplished so much in his life, He also is the only reason Stadium, gold and silver, and many other games were programed and made so well as he did it with his staff. It's sad to see him go. R.I.P. Iwata.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I didn't expect Iwata to pass away soon, when I thought that he will be just fine (and I think everyone think so as well). He give us some great memories when he was on Nintendo Direct and when he announced some new games from Nintendo.

RIP Iwata, and he will be missed in the hearts of every Nintendo fans.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2019
    Hope to see a Great president to succeed him.
    And also hope that the new president don't MAKE TOO MUCH MOBILE GAMES OR NINTENDO WILL DIE

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Your a hero and awesome person Satoru. You don't give a damn thing about stuff and you figured out to make Gold/Silver working..

You'll be forever in my heart
    rest-in-peace.jpg

May you program in heaven.

Back