• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Garchomp is soon to be an... UBer? O_O;

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
It's just you buddy. XD; They're not high on jelly beans either, they're finally trying to end a debate that has raged seemingly ages. @_@;

Garchomp is by far one of the most destructive forces around, and frankly... I think it's about time for it's ban stamp. :x I used to rebel such measures in the past, but it's just too destructive. It's ability, it's stats, it's power... (And 35% of teams today use a Garchomp, Smogon server stat) So, I know people will rage back and forth, it's a debate that goes on and on. But for my opinion, it's time to say good bye to our lovely pirate shark. (Even if I love the thing to death) I look forward to see how things turn out over there.

peeblo

Lord of the Air
Years
Well dude you have to realize that a Ice attack has a big potential to put it out of commission. o-o; I don't personally use a Garchomp but I know that if this keeps up they will definitely Uberfy Mence. (Which I do use... >.<; ) I also don't understand why they do it to Chomp... and not to Cresselia or Milotic D: Cresselia has Moonlight and Rest (Lum Berry is abuse...), Milotic has Marvel Scale, Recover AND Hypnosis. o-o; I see a really big thing there.

I also see this happening to Metagross. o-o;

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
Years
Not everybody uses him, and he can be countered. Granted it isn't easy, but it can be done. Sandstorm is the main thing that makes Chompy destructive. He's tough, but I don't like the attitude that he's too tough and should be forever banned.

Blue Tomoshibi

Pokémon a go-go!
Years
I'm happy, personally I think Garchomp is ugly.

But Garchomp is easily counter able early game. Late game, when all the faster threats are dealt with, it becomes way powerful.

peeblo

Lord of the Air
Years
Well, I just think that this is going to lead to something worse. I mean they did it to Deoxys A form o-o; (That thing dies to Sucker Punch.)

peeblo

Lord of the Air
Years
I've killed Chomps with boosted Ice Shard. o-o; Seriously. I just don't think this is right D: Ubers should be Pokes with 410+ stats >.>

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
Years
I don't give a damn about what's banned or not. I say "If the thing's made to be an attacker, don't get pissed when it thrashes you." D:< Seriously.

peeblo

Lord of the Air
Years
THANK YOU. That's what I say o-o; People just end up crying because they weren't ready for something!!! D: I mean, even Skarmory can potentially wall the Chomp... the corcern would be if the Chomp is Banded or not. As I stated before though, an nice Ice attack puts it out of commission o-o

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 12, 2019
you can't compare Garchomp to metagross. I don't use either but I can still see how gchomp can be a menace to OU and below. A lot of teams run either ttar of hippowdon, sandstorm is everywhere. His ability is such hax. If you switch in a pokemon to counter him and use ice beam and it misses then you get rocked with a supereffective hit.

I'm all for defeating garchomp in OU battles. I've got my own strategy against him and so do others. The only bad thing I see is, now there is a pokemon that FORCES people to use non original pokemon as counters. You would see a lot more variation if it wasn't necessary for you to have a counter to one pokemon. We see enough of that with gengar starmie blissey skarmory mgross ttar. I'm sure I just listed a lot of people's teams. Variation is almost gone from this metagame. Gchomp just makes it worse. He should love to run with the ubers where he doesn't abuse.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
Years
I've killed Chomps with boosted Ice Shard. o-o; Seriously. I just don't think this is right D: Ubers should be Pokes with 410+ stats >.>

I said rarely, not never. They can't ban Pkmn just because of one 410+ stat, they have to base it on their potentail to rape people. With your logic my Rampardos would be an uber. So would Shuckle and the vast majority of Steelix's.

peeblo

Lord of the Air
Years
Yesh... but I just can't see Chomp in Ubers Dx That's all I'm going to say... when things like this happen it simply means Poke is going toward a wrong direction. :( Hopefully something will happen that will change this madness. D:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years

*sigh* This is just... ah, I'll just link you to it. Everyone planning on using the ice point or anyone who doesn't understand...

READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD.

We've been debating and had this regurgitating debate before. The "ice attack destroys" argument doesn't hold a ton of backbone, honestly.

POKEMASTERALEX said:
you can't compare Garchomp to metagross. I don't use either but I can still see how gchomp can be a menace to OU and below. A lot of teams run either ttar of hippowdon, sandstorm is everywhere. His ability is such hax. If you switch in a pokemon to counter him and use ice beam and it misses then you get rocked with a supereffective hit.

I'm all for defeating garchomp in OU battles. I've got my own strategy against him and so do others. The only bad thing I see is, now there is a pokemon that FORCES people to use non original pokemon as counters. You would see a lot more variation if it wasn't necessary for you to have a counter to one pokemon. We see enough of that with gengar starmie blissey skarmory mgross ttar. I'm sure I just listed a lot of people's teams. Variation is almost gone from this metagame. Gchomp just makes it worse. He should love to run with the ubers where he doesn't abuse.

Thank you.

when things like this happen it simply means Poke is going toward a wrong direction.
Banning something overpowered and abused is heading in the right direction, towards fairness. :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 14
  • Seen Jul 6, 2011
I'm happy, personally I think Garchomp is ugly.

But Garchomp is easily counter able early game. Late game, when all the faster threats are dealt with, it becomes way powerful.

ORLy? What counters him?

Well, I just think that this is going to lead to something worse. I mean they did it to Deoxys A form o-o; (That thing dies to Sucker Punch.)

It dies to quick attack o_0

I don't give a damn about what's banned or not. I say "If the thing's made to be an attacker, don't get pissed when it thrashes you." D:< Seriously.

Oh ok. Say hello to SD Rayquaza.

So, Shuckle, Regis, Wailord, Snorlax, Drifblim,Rampardos, Regigigas, ect are ubers?

THANK YOU. That's what I say o-o; People just end up crying because they weren't ready for something!!! D: I mean, even Skarmory can potentially wall the Chomp... the corcern would be if the Chomp is Banded or not. As I stated before though, an nice Ice attack puts it out of commission o-o

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly
Sword Dance
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake

Yesh... but I just can't see Chomp in Ubers Dx That's all I'm going to say... when things like this happen it simply means Poke is going toward a wrong direction. :( Hopefully something will happen that will change this madness. D:

In my opinion, I rather see Garchomp never used in Ubers then always used in OU

Yesh, I do respect opinion. Dx But... I'll just shut up. Fair would be putitng Milo in Ubers o.O;

It cant wall Garchomp, what makes you think it can wall Rayquaza or Mewtwo?

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years
I have to completely agree with this ban. Though even though Smogon and PC are pretty much sister-sites (aka PC will probably adapt these rules into the regular meta-game here/popular tournaments) the change might not happen here for a bit, but who knows?

Anyway, I have to agree with some of the people here, there is NO reason we should all be basing our team or editing members we love to use just to counter some shark-dragon-thingy. Sure, I have Ice Beam and maybe even some Ice types to get the stab, but guess what? The majority who do get stab can't stand up to Chomp's speed. I'm definitely NOT afraid of them, believe me, I have counters for them which I use quite often, and very rarely since I added these to my arsenal have I been "swept" or anything of the like by a Garchomp. In fact, it's the exact opposite. But the very root that he has such incredible base stats and can stand up (especially when one is equipped with the ice power-reducing berry which has been a common favorite lately) to a unstabbed Ice attack (also depending on where Chomp users EV invest) should be enough to say hit the Uber showers.

And you definitely can't compare Chomp to the likes of Metagross or really anything in the OU perspective. Again, nobody is afraid of Garchomp nowadays except newer battlers, it's just flipping annoying missing every other attack because smart Chomp teams ALWAYS come with a Sandstorm lead to kick things off.

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2009
I think garchomp in urbers is MADDNESS!!

by the way nice sig BeachBoy.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
Years

As a side note, nobody is trying to bash you here, just your view of Chomp possibly being an uber :P

And in response to the above quote, of course you can't see Chomp in uber, Ice attacks are very common there. But hey, a lot of OU walls and stallers are now being used in the Uber metagame so why couldn't someone find a good spot for Chomp on one of those teams? In that tier, it's easy to counter a Garchomp, there are faster Pokemon with access to high sp.atk and Ice Beams/Blizzards. A lot of such Pokemon even have weather abilities or supporting Pokemon who do. In OU/UU/BL, whatever, it's not easy to have to say "I'm going to make a new team! But first I need a Chomp counter..." and have to revolve around that (espcially if you find out eventually that Garchomp can either stand up to your counter Pokemon or that Pokemon doesn't have much other use.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back