• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: vBulletin 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
Years
  • Quick question, are you guys going to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 when it's out of beta stages and released to the public? =P

Last edited:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Don't know what the higher ups think, but I'm not really liking the look of 4.0. Doesn't really fit PC's look, ya know?

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
  • Don't know what the higher ups think, but I'm not really liking the look of 4.0. Doesn't really fit PC's look, ya know?

I think with some tampering you could get it to look like 3.0 anyway. :P

But yeah, I don't think it would suit PC myself (running Beta 5 on another board...), but some of it's features sound pretty good. It's just a problem that they won't deal with 3.0's bugs/glitches after the release of 4.0, though I wouldn't know anything about that here. ^^;

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I don't think that we will update to 4.0 for a while, even if it's released...most of the staff are against it.

That being said, it will take time for the staff to work out the kinks and get all the stuff prepared for the inevitable moment when we DO have to move to 4.0 for whatever security reasons may exist. I haven't really seen 4.0 yet, but I've been told it's ugly. So it may take time for all the themes to be imported, ect...ect...

This is merely my speculation based upon what I've heard from staff members...so staff can clarify or correct me as needed if I'm not correct in my speculation.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Sooner of later, you guys will probably change it, right? I doubt they give security updates and stuff for the old versions.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • it will be a while before we upgrade to vB4.. can't say how long it'll be, but we won't update until we have all the current PC functions working in vB4 and any bugs that it may have have been cleared up.

The admin staff is working on it, but yeah, gonna be a while, so don't hold your breath or anything.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    Just posting because I wish to make a comment about this.

1) vB4 is absolutely crap (quite literally) and has things that you can use with stuff that exists already (CMS can be used for free from Drupal, Joomla! etc). Blogs already exist on PC so why waste all this money for things that you either have or can get for nothing?

2) You can use mod_rewrite to rewrite URL's rather than buy something that does the same thing.

3) The style looks rubbish

4) The "Main CSS" page is obsolete, meaning you can use StyleVars but quite limited. You have to create your own style sheets, making the process of creating styles harder.

All in all, PC shouldn't upgrade to vb4, since I assume you use an Owned License. There's many forums out there who haven't paid for the Update cost and still have secure, although out-of-date, forums. And lots of people still like this vB 3.x much more than vB4.

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    LOL Ooka, I know what vB4 looks like.
    There isn't any actual need for PC to upgrade. There are forums out there that use out of date vB's but hey, they are still fun places to post on.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Um, I wasn't talking about that. I mean more information on PC upgrading....

My post wasn't even aimed at you lol.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Official stance: None of us like it. We'll probably upgrade but definitely not right away. When it happens, we'll announce it. So don't hold your breath.

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    Official stance: None of us like it.
    Thank you.
    If you don't like it, don't bother upgrading and wasting a pile of money on something that will probably drive members off PC.

Ooka

Years
  • Well like they said, they'll HAVE to upgrade eventually, unless they want to get hacked every day. They just want to spend as much time as they possibly can on this system.

I honestly think the sooner the better. You'll have more time to get used to it, and since you have to upgrade anyways, it's just like getting the worst over first.

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    Well like they said, they'll HAVE to upgrade eventually, unless they want to get hacked every day. They just want to spend as much time as they possibly can on this system.

That statement is wrong. There are MANY forums out there on the internet that use vB 3.5 or older, but they are never hacked. Just because you haven't been on a forum with old software, does not mean that they exist.

vBulletin.org is an example.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024

That statement is wrong. There are MANY forums out there on the internet that use vB 3.5 or older, but they are never hacked. Just because you haven't been on a forum with old software, does not mean that they exist.

vBulletin.org is an example.

This thread isn't about other forums on the internet and what forum system they use, its about PC. And you can't exactly please everyone, so if people don't like the upgrade, they'll just have to live with it. As its been stated, eventually we're going to upgrade, so money will be spent on upgrading to the latest software available. PC's always been one of the sites that likes to keep up to date with the latest security measures. Hell, the administration is even going through attempts to make the Moderator Control Panel more secure since there's apparently something wrong with the security there.

I mean, just because we haven't exactly had any trouble in being hacked, as far as I know, doesn't mean that its not going to happen. And I'm pretty sure we'd all rather be safe than sorry.

But anyway, am I the only person (aside from the default design of v4) who actually likes it? :|

So, points that I felt I needed to state:
    1. This is about PC, not another forum.
    2. Just because our forum hasn't been hacked doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.
    3. PC is all about security of the forum. It's always been that way. Otherwise, there wouldn't be nights where Steve spends literally hours working on things behind the scenes to make it more enjoyable for us and more secure.
    4. PC will upgrade (even though that's been stated) whether you like it or not.
    5. You can't please everyone, so so what if some people don't like it? If they like PC for PC, they wouldn't care what forum system we used.

Besides, I thought you left and hated everyone here because we're horrible people because we don't baby people?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ooka

Years
  • I personally have no large problem with the software myself, I just don't like the new people that run it. And, like it was said, just because sites haven't been hacked, it doesn't mean they won't be. I just missed a single security update for my forums (From MyBB 1.4.7 to 1.4.8) for about a week and ended up hacked. Code updates are released, and code security changes, so it might be extremely safe one week and have a security hole the next.

I'm all for the upgrade, vB has had the same layout for too long, as well as just about every other forum system, I'm ready to see some new layout work. :P

Sajuuk

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I don't have a problem with it. It's just that I feel that things like CMS, Blogs and Forum you can get. You have Forum and Blogs. Just get Joomla! and you have a vB4 publishing suite.

The style sucks, and there was a huge amount of criticism on the vb.com forum. (if you want to take a sneak peek of vb4, just go to vb.com forum)

Ooka

Years
  • Well, they have a vB4 theme for this version, possibly an installation of that and maybe a theme based off of it? Just so users can get used to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back