• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: The Ruby Firered Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Before notice:
The Ruby Firered project is what I consider a tool such as JPan's FR hack. This is an ongoing project which I will be graphically updating and hacking throughout Ruby to allow FR graphics. Thanks to ZodiacDaGreat for helping me implement the FR tileset into Ruby. With that here we go!​

The Ruby Firered Project

Introduction

As we all know Ruby's default graphics are sickening and most of us find them annoying to work with. So with the discovery of Zodiac yesterday I am finally ready to give a full on hack of Ruby and make it as close to Firered as possible. My priority now is tiles, as I progress I will move on to other parts.

Previews

Boy.png
Girl.png

Looks too good to be true? Well then I dont know what to say but this is Ruby!

Bugs + Oddities

• You will need to add water animations by yourself on the current alpha.
  • Indoor tilesets have not yet been updated so they are screwed up.
  • Some outdoor tiles are messed up.
  • Remember to report any you find!

Credits

• Nintendo/GameFreak
  • ZodiacDaGreat - Tutorial on tileset expansion

Download

Final Statement:
I hope you find this useful, once again be sure to report bugs etc. Alpha 2 I plan to have up to Cerulean, and some indoor tiles.​

Last edited:

redozano

#1 ninja
Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2009
This will be useful for everyone would uses software not so compatible with FR and LG

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
This will be useful for everyone would uses software not so compatible with FR and LG

Thanks, yes I thought it would as there is Day and Night for Ruby and all of that.

Updates

Well I finally got to OW inserting, just starting with the hero and a new support bar! So first of all OW scan, this looks exactly like FR :3.

Woah-1.png

And here is the support bar, I know it was kind of short but thanks for reading.

seaofdreams2.gif

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Ooh, so close! I hate to be a stickler, but the bottoms of trees that were touching in FR had shadows. So did the midsections, if there were two or more on top of one another. I see you put some shadows, but only for the overlapping tree bases, and you put some at the ends, which is not right.
Another thing: the right fence on Route 1 connection to the straight fence: they don't flow into one another.

Last edited:

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
I think this a wonderful project and might make people want to hack Ruby. I think Ruby has wondrous functions and abilities, such as the in-game clock, Day and Night, and more.

All in all, great job on making this; I can't wait until it's complete. (b'')b

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
<33333333333

This is so cool, I've always wanted to see something like this. With this people can have Fire Red and D/N. Keep it up. ;)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
So is this going to be only maps, or are you guys going to hack the game to include all the FR/LG scripts and such? Also another question, why hack Ruby when Emerald has slightly more features? I'm assuming that ZodiacDaGreat's tutorial can apply for Emerald too, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
So is this going to be only maps, or are you guys going to hack the game to include all the FR/LG scripts and such? Also another question, why hack Ruby when Emerald has slightly more features? I'm assuming that ZodiacDaGreat's tutorial can apply for Emerald too, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, it probably can since it's for R/S/E. I think he made it on Ruby due to pure choice or it's the rom he's making a hack on. :3

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022

Alpha 0.2 release

Release Notes Sum Up

Basically the new stuff in alpha 0.2 is an Amap configured to work with the patched rom, a small mock right up, new OW's for hero/heroine, and some more secondary stuff. Not much of an update but something none the less.​

Download

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
It's a valiant effort, but I don't think you'll be able to make a complete FR clone...
You have my support, but some specials are different in the game, and some that are in FR/LG are not in R/S/E...
What are you planning on doing when it comes to that?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
It's a valiant effort, but I don't think you'll be able to make a complete FR clone...
You have my support, but some specials are different in the game, and some that are in FR/LG are not in R/S/E...
What are you planning on doing when it comes to that?
I don't think that's the plan. Panda said:
This is an ongoing project which I will be graphically updating and hacking throughout Ruby to allow FR graphics.

so it seems that this is mainly just a graphics hack. It would be pointless to hack Ruby so thoroughly that it was exactly the same as Fire Red because then you could just hack a Fire Red ROM and get the same result :\
My assumption is that is a "tool" to allow hackers to utilize the features in Ruby that weren't implemented in Fire Red but maintain the Fire Red feel in terms of graphics.

ArchsageX

The greatest sage.
Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
Looks much better! I'm pretty sure FireRed has its own version of Brendan and May overworld sprites when you link battle. I think it would be nice to have those instead of the FR/LG mains.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Yes, ColCol is right Omega, I thought it would be nice for some Ruby hackers to have a taste of working with FRLG graphics while still having the features within Ruby.

Also thats a god idea to add Brendan and May as the main OW's. I'll think about it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
You know, another idea is instead of re-mapping Kanto, you could hack Hoenn to have FR/LG tiles. Because if you make hack Ruby to have maps exactly the same as FireRed, then it's not really that unique...

EDIT: This is what I mean:
route101.png

Yes, I know I have tile errors on some trees, since they're not shaded, and the grass is too simple, but you get the point.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
You know, another idea is instead of re-mapping Kanto, you could hack Hoenn to have FR/LG tiles. Because if you make hack Ruby to have maps exactly the same as FireRed, then it's not really that unique...

EDIT: This is what I mean:
route101.png

Yes, I know I have tile errors on some trees, since they're not shaded, and the grass is too simple, but you get the point.

~Teh Panda~ is inserting FR/LG tiles to Ruby. >.>
and also, you may want to read this:
As we all know Ruby's default graphics are sickening and most of us find them annoying to work with. So with the discovery of Zodiac yesterday I am finally ready to give a full on hack of Ruby and make it as close to Firered as possible. My priority now is tiles, as I progress I will move on to other parts.

I bolded the part you may haven't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back